Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ratchet and Clank (PS4, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Ratchet and Clank (PS4, 2016)

I agree. It's great fun. I immediately wanted to replay the New Game Plus mode.
Old 06-08-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just curious. I have a free rental that expires this weekend and was looking at this or Quantum Break.
Old 06-26-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Solid advice fellas. Ended up buying this and renting Quantum Break. I wasn't feeling QB, but man, Ratchet is awesome.

I don't know why but I always forget how great the Ratchet series is. I'm having a blast with it. I've put in about 10 hours so I'm probably nearing the end. It's been a fun ride.

Originally Posted by The Questyen

Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, and Into the Nexus were the one's I was talking about.

I always forget about Into the Nexus. I think I have that one but never played it. I'll have to look around for it.
Old 06-26-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never played a Ratchet game before this and I think i'm almost done as well. It's decently entertaining, but I guess i'm the odd man out in thinking there's nothing particularly amazing or great about the game. Maybe it's because I don't have the experience playing the series before and have since played other 3D platformers since the original games first came out with very similar concepts, including Insomniac's own Sunset Overdrive which felt similar as far as the variety of weapons go and character movement + combat.

Comparing to that particular game, the planet to planet hopping in the game makes the scope feel really small although obviously it's kind of an unfair comparison given the generational differences. And I dislike how the game seems to have you pick up a new ability that you can only use in limited fashion for a very specific use cases (the magnetic boots, the rail grinding thing, the jetpack which conveniently only has fuel in the levels you need to use it).

I'm having fun overall though, I like the way the characters are animated and how tight the controls are... jet packing around against a particular boss while firing weapons just felt great and easy to maneuver. Glad I borrowed it from a friend rather then buying it outright though.
Old 06-26-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Anyone know if this will have DLC for more planets or something?
Old 06-26-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

I don't think they've mentioned anything about DLC but I doubt it. I would assume since this reboot was so well received they would just make another game.
Old 06-27-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've never played a Ratchet game before this and I think i'm almost done as well. It's decently entertaining, but I guess i'm the odd man out in thinking there's nothing particularly amazing or great about the game. Maybe it's because I don't have the experience playing the series before and have since played other 3D platformers since the original games first came out with very similar concepts, including Insomniac's own Sunset Overdrive which felt similar as far as the variety of weapons go and character movement + combat.

I'm having fun overall though, I like the way the characters are animated and how tight the controls are... jet packing around against a particular boss while firing weapons just felt great and easy to maneuver. Glad I borrowed it from a friend rather then buying it outright though.
I was new to it last gen with Tools of Destruction, Crack in Time and Quest for Booty. I fell in love.

The game and controls are just so tight. Insomniac has really perfected the series and R&C is one of the few platformers that gives Mario a run for his money. I think this is far more fun than Mario 3D whatever on the WiiU. The characters are great, humor is solid, animation, level design, weapons and leveling system... the whole package. There's not a lot to be disappointed with.

Which brings me to my lone gripe thus far... there are either too many weapons or not enough crystals to upgarde your weapons, forcing multiple playthroughs to upgrade them all. I want to feel like a total badass by the end of the first playthrough, not the second. I don't recall how the PS3 games played out in that regard.
Old 06-27-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which brings me to my lone gripe thus far... there are either too many weapons or not enough crystals to upgarde your weapons, forcing multiple playthroughs to upgrade them all.
You can definitely get every weapon and max 'em all out in one playthrough. On your second playthrough, you can level them up further and do that all in that playthrough as well. Collecting the cards will help boost raritanium drops, and some weapons have perks that'll increase raritanium drops as well. I did grind a bit for leveling (bosses are great for that; unleash Hell then kill yourself while the boss is on his last legs; your leveling will carry over from life to life), but not for raritanium.

The Map-O-Matic will show you where the raritanium is on every stage, but you'll get more by killing bad guys.
Old 06-29-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Which brings me to my lone gripe thus far... there are either too many weapons or not enough crystals to upgarde your weapons, forcing multiple playthroughs to upgrade them all. I want to feel like a total badass by the end of the first playthrough, not the second. I don't recall how the PS3 games played out in that regard.
You were pretty unstoppable in Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal by the end of the first playthrough. But you were a god by the end of the second, especially with all the shields and sentry bots.
Old 06-29-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was new to it last gen with Tools of Destruction, Crack in Time and Quest for Booty. I fell in love.

The game and controls are just so tight. Insomniac has really perfected the series and R&C is one of the few platformers that gives Mario a run for his money. I think this is far more fun than Mario 3D whatever on the WiiU. The characters are great, humor is solid, animation, level design, weapons and leveling system... the whole package. There's not a lot to be disappointed with.

I honestly don't find the characters that interesting, and the humor really bland. I actually was thinking I would be more in to it if the story was a bit more interesting to me, but instead I'm just relying on the gameplay which is certainly excellent enough to carry the game. Probably doesn't help that I think I prefer 2D platformers over 3D in general.

Don't want to sound like i'm bashing it or anything, just one of those things where for some reason it's just not doing it for me.

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-29-16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't find the characters that interesting, and the humor really bland. I actually was thinking I would be more in to it if the story was a bit more interesting to me, but instead I'm just relying on the gameplay which is certainly excellent enough to carry the game.
Right there with you. When I played this game, my first of the series, I really enjoyed myself. But I wasn't into the story or characters at all. It wasn't long before I just skipped all of the story stuff, and thank Insomniac for allowing me to!

The gameplay, the environment, the animation, the weapons -- basically everything else was just really wonderful. It took an hour or two for me to click with the game, but when I did I was really into the game.

I didn't use as many of the weapons as I would have liked to. They kept introducing weapons pretty late into the game, but by then I had already settled into using a certain arsenal. I would of course use other weapons when I ran out of ammo, but when I had the option I relied heavily on the area of effect pulse/dance weapons and Mr Zurkon. Loved me some Mr. Zurkon.
Old 06-30-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those are basically the weapons i'm using now. I'm always using Mr Zurkon and the Proton Drum.
Old 06-30-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Zurkon and Protron Drum here too.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You can definitely get every weapon and max 'em all out in one playthrough.
I'm just not seeing it. I stumbled onto the Map-O-Matic the other night and revisited every planet to 100% each one. I have about 80% of the Holocards and all but one Ryno card to help with Raritarium drops.

All that and only two-three weapons are at 100%. A few others around 75% and the rest only an upgrade here or there. Haven't even touched a few of the weapons.
Old 07-06-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally had time to finish. I enjoyed it enough that I would play more games in the series if they came out this gen, but no real desire to collect everything from this game.

Last boss was a pain for me though, died 6 or 7 times trying to beat him, including dying while he was at 2% on my second attempt which resulted in all the other attempts a huge annoyance.
Old 07-06-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I honestly don't find the characters that interesting, and the humor really bland. I actually was thinking I would be more in to it if the story was a bit more interesting to me, but instead I'm just relying on the gameplay which is certainly excellent enough to carry the game. Probably doesn't help that I think I prefer 2D platformers over 3D in general.

Don't want to sound like i'm bashing it or anything, just one of those things where for some reason it's just not doing it for me.
I'm in general agreeance. The core gameplay is pretty good, the controls are tight, but I find the world, characters, enemies and level design pretty bland.

But there are some really nice graphics mixed in.
Old 08-19-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fuck me. Ran through the game and leveled up what I could. Started a new game to carry over to playthrough 2(i.e. challenge mode). Good, leveled every weapon up. Finished the game again. Hopped back in to do some trophy hunting. There were a couple of misable trophies in earlier levels so I quit out to start a new game 3.

There is no new game 3. I lost all my progress. "New game" wiped everything.

There's no way to pull down a save from the cloud, right? I'm just fucked? There is no fucking way I'm going through this again from scratch.

*edit*
Looking around, this is a common mistake that a lot of people make, but fortunately I was saved by the cloud. Yea! Back to being an overpowered badass.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-19-16 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Sooo, looks like Sony is offering this one up as a free download now under their PlayAtHome series.
Old 03-25-21, 06:16 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Sooo, looks like Sony is offering this one up as a free download now under their PlayAtHome series.
I downloaded it the other day. I had borrowed it from a friend a few years ago so it made me delete it from my system before I could download it.
Old 12-09-22, 08:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

I’m thinking about giving this a go tomorrow ($10 at PS store) sometime. Certainly looks gorgeous from seeing opening scene. And, I think better prepare me for A Rift Apart.
Old 12-09-22, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’m thinking about giving this a go tomorrow ($10 at PS store) sometime. Certainly looks gorgeous from seeing opening scene. And, I think better prepare me for A Rift Apart.
Don't buy it. It's free and part of the PlayStation Plus Collection when you bought your PS5. I started it this past week and I'm really liking it.
Old 12-09-22, 08:19 PM

I was logged in and no download to library came up. Just option to buy.
Old 12-09-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was logged in and no download to library came up. Just option to buy.
Go to your game library and to the PlayStation Plus Collection. Download it from there. You can't download it from the PlayStation store.

From the Games home screen, scroll right and select PlayStation Plus.Scroll to the Benefits tab and select PlayStation Plus Collection.Highlight the game and select Download

Just go ahead and add every game there to your library. That way you can forget about having to ever go back to that section.

Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Zombie Chronicles Edition
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Edition
Falllout 4
Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition
Monster Hunter World
Mortal Kombat 10
Resident Evil 7

Last edited by lwhy?; 12-09-22 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-09-22, 08:38 PM

Right. I keep forgetting only access through console. Eh, it was $11 with tax. No harm no foul but I got to remember console only….
Old 12-09-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right. I keep forgetting only access through console. Eh, it was $11 with tax. No harm no foul but I got to remember console only….
​​​​​​
You've wasted $20 on Ratchet and Clank and God of War when they're free. Seriously go add the rest of them to your library now so you don't forget again.
Old 12-09-22, 09:07 PM

Thanks. I downloaded all the ones I wanted now. Just paid for Horizons’, GoW and R & C.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.