Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I should have, but for some reason I was unaware that I was at the end.

Though it should have been obvious since it was daytime outside. Where is the third piece of
Spoiler:
Cord, I got the one from Mergo's Wet Nurse, and the one from the doc at the beginnin

NG+ is kicking my butt right now. I'm going to try to get all the bosses this time (including some of the ones I didn't know about, like Abhorrent Beast and Brainsucker.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Heck...I still haven't done my first Chalice Dungeon yet and still have Paarl and Amelia to deal with.....

I do have one question about when you start accumulating enough echoes what to spend it on? Should I level up or buy certain items that might be needed later on? I've done some areas where it's an abundant of Ammo but hardly any Molotov's. Plus 3-4 of us are trying to keep in that "10 Level" spread. We're just taking time and taking it all in...and getting smacked around a lot.

I also read somewhere where the more insight you have the more enemies adjust or do extra stuff...or something like that. One said he kept his Insight below 20 and another said his was up near 40 and really didn't see anything different from 20 to 40. Right now there is not a lot offered to buy much...Father G's armor, Flame Paper and a few others. I'm getting lots of Madman's Knowledge so I wasn't sure if to spend Insight or not.
The Chalice Dungeons are kind of an after thought, they're good but it's just kind of... disappointing because of the great care and detail that goes into the full single player campaign, the dungeons seem a little too generic for such an otherwise fantastic title. Some cool beasties to fight in there though. I still haven't figured out Insight, I have about 50 Insight and 40 Madmen Knowledge and another few other forms of it. I spent most of my Blood Echoes of blood vials (if I was in a hurry) and leveling, you start figuring out what to kill around the part you're at now, to expedite Blood Echo collection.

Despite some reservations, this is easily my favorite game in quite a long time (as in pre-2001.)

Last edited by RichC2; 04-11-15 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Finally beat Vicar Amelia today.

Was going to get one of my friend to help me but my internet was down so I just level up my Flamesprayer to +6 and put a fire gem in my Ludwig blade. At the start of the battle I use the bone marrow ash on my Flameplayer to get more damage and starting shooting and hitting her like mad. Took about maybe 2 min. to finish her and I only had to use just five vials. Very happy I was able to beat her alone.
Old 04-11-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally took down BSB! That was one hell of a boss! I just kept close and staggered him multiple times. I had plenty antidote on hand so when he poisoned me i backed off , cured myself and resumed fighting. Finished him off with a few Molotovs and finally killed him!
Old 04-11-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my battle with BSB

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QhvJfg9bgiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-11-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Nice job!!!
Old 04-11-15, 08:58 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mhg83 nice video...you were doing so well you probably could have taken him down quicker without the need for the molotovs at the end. Also at the 2 minute mark when you were moving away, were you trying to lock on to him again? I hate that it turns you away from what you are trying to lock on if the game decides not to lock on for you...
Old 04-11-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I had some close calls in this and other battles due to the attempts to lock on. Very annoying.
Old 04-12-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Finally beat Vicar Amelia today.

Was going to get one of my friend to help me but my internet was down so I just level up my Flamesprayer to +6 and put a fire gem in my Ludwig blade. At the start of the battle I use the bone marrow ash on my Flameplayer to get more damage and starting shooting and hitting her like mad. Took about maybe 2 min. to finish her and I only had to use just five vials. Very happy I was able to beat her alone.

Excellent and congratulations.....I've actually grown fond of the Flamesprayer a bit; just haven't leveled it or even my Blunderbuss up which I need to. I was going to try using The Urn w/Flamesprayer on some bigger enemies to see how that works. That way not eating thru two consumable so much.

I might try Paarl today and any tips? I know I'll need my best Bolt Armor, watch for his "Bolt Impact" where he unleashes a wave of energy. Seems the strategy is not far off from Cleric beast...under, behind and legs...retreat...rinse & repeat?
Old 04-12-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent and congratulations.....I've actually grown fond of the Flamesprayer a bit; just haven't leveled it or even my Blunderbuss up which I need to. I was going to try using The Urn w/Flamesprayer on some bigger enemies to see how that works. That way not eating thru two consumable so much.

I might try Paarl today and any tips? I know I'll need my best Bolt Armor, watch for his "Bolt Impact" where he unleashes a wave of energy. Seems the strategy is not far off from Cleric beast...under, behind and legs...retreat...rinse & repeat?
BSB, Vicar and Paarl are all fairly similar
Old 04-12-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, in the Yahar'gul Chapel

Spoiler:
Those 3 hunters gave me more trouble than most of the bosses. Even after I finally took one down, it took me a bunch of tries to eliminate the remaining 2.
Old 04-12-15, 09:25 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Man, in the Yahar'gul Chapel

Spoiler:
Those 3 hunters gave me more trouble than most of the bosses. Even after I finally took one down, it took me a bunch of tries to eliminate the remaining 2.
My son almost gave up on the game he was having so much trouble with them..and he was being so stubborn when I suggested not to use his Ludwig in the large form, which he likes to do 100% of the time. He finally gave in and went for speed and got them.
Old 04-13-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad you mentioned the Ludwig Holy Blade...I got it and sort of put it aside in favor of The Hunter's Axe with Threaded Cane & Tonitrus (which I'm liking) in the second slot. The long reach of the Axe has come in handy on many occasions.

However I went back to the wiki site (I like the fextralife one the best) to check the progress/leveling of the Holy Blade and it's better than the Axe in terms of Strength, Skill and even Arcane.

The Axe.....
Strength...From +0 to +9...it's only D to C. It reaches B at +10
Skill.........From +0 to +8....E to D and even at +10 it stays D
Arcane.....From +0 to +9....it stays D and at +10 it goes to C

The Ludwig Holy Blade
Strength...From +0 to +2...it goes from D to C....From +2 to +5 to goes from C to B. Stays at B to +10
Skill.........From +0 to +4....it goes from D to C....From +4 to +7 it goes from C to B. Stays at B at +10
Arcane.....From +0 to +2....it goes from D to C....From +2 to +5 it goes from C to B. At +10 it goes to A

I saw a post somewhere that someone found the percentages of damage buff related to the letters. It wasn't a set amount but a range I'm guessing either with the type of weapons and points put into that particular area...Strength & Skill. I might have to move the holly Blade back in and work on it since the attributes are far better than the Axe.

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-13-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NPDs are this week, and Bloodborne seems to be selling really well...deservedly so it would seem. #3 selling game for 2015 on Amazon behind GTAV (PS4) and Zelda (3DS).

Will be interesting to see whether it's a mediocre niche title as some predicted.
Old 04-13-15, 03:42 PM

Last night, I was able to join the ranks of those that have beaten the game. I went ahead and took the "bad" ending at first (which provided me some awesome screenshots, by the way), as I often do, and then used the classic, tried & true "save manipulation" to go back in and get the "best" ending, the one you will get if you have been
Spoiler:
collecting the umbilical cords throughout the playthrough
. The end game is fairly exciting, somewhat difficult, even. As always, From Software leaves the ending for you to decide, to some degree, as to what exactly has come of all of this game's story. Note: The Burial Blade is awesome, and it will be nice to get back to a speedier, more combo based style of play.

I noticed immediately that NG+ is, as advertised, a bit harder than Souls games of the past. I remember starting NG+ in Demon's Souls, and still pretty much kicked ass on my way through to Phalanx in 1-1. Now, maybe I have just gotten lazy because I was more leveled towards the end of my first playthrough, but the enemies here seem to have instilled the fear in me again of my original trip through Central Yarnham. Again, I might be wrong, but I don't remember Demon's nor Dark Souls being too much more difficult in NG+, not until you started getting towards the end of the playthrough the second time.

I am going to continue on through this (and the next, the next) playthrough, but I only need the "middle" ending, and the trophy for the last boss of the Chalice Dungeons to platinum yet another Souls game. I stopped going through the Chalice Dungeons in my NG upon getting to the defiled levels.
Old 04-13-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to hear Charon...good luck the rest of the way.....

I just completed my "1st' Chalice Dungeon and really didn't get much of anything...even after defeating the 3rd Boss. A friend of mine got a Fire Gem after defeating him...

I read there are secret doors and possibly coffins...can you go back in and explore and what tips one off on a secret door...

Last edited by K&AJones; 04-13-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 06:11 PM

Most of the illusory walls are fairly obvious, but, not always. I would say to hit all of the walls where they look like they could be possible doors (like under archways, in between pillars, etc). There are more of them as you get higher in the Chalice Dungeons, and, often hide messengers that sell items, or a treasure room (think One-Eyed Willie's treasure on the ship in Goonies ).
Old 04-13-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been spouting praise all over for this game but I can't emphasize enough just how much I liked it. This was old school gaming done to damn near perfection. No drawn out plot sequences, no clue on what to do, fun well developed gameplay, increasingly beautiful locations, atmospheric as hell, and just an all around thrill to play. Its the first game in ages that I wanted to keep playing even once it was over. This alone justified my leap into next gen and sort of rekindled my love of gaming.

I don't see how this will be topped for a long time, but who knows, maybe we'll hit a new golden age of gaming soon. It is far from flawless, but that's oddly part of the charm. In the maybe 4 minutes of video throughout the game, it established a better back story and lore than the last 6 numbered final fantasy games combined. And as weird as it got, it just felt right when it all concludes. Everybody else can keep their overwrought j-drama, I'll take this cronenbergian approach to HP Lovecraft any day.

Just flat out fucking excellent. I'm just pissed that I still can't get into Dark Souls II.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-13-15 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 08:57 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've been spouting praise all over for this game but I can't emphasize enough just how much I liked it. This was old school gaming done to damn near perfection. No drawn out plot sequences, no clue on what to do, fun well developed gameplay, increasingly beautiful locations, atmospheric as hell, and just an all around thrill to play. Its the first game in ages that I wanted to keep playing even once it was over. This alone justified my leap into next gen and sort of rekindled my love of gaming.

I don't see how this will be topped for a long time, but who knows, maybe we'll hit a new golden age of gaming soon.
well said,

As of right now Bloodborne is the best game this current generation by a long shot, and will be on some peoples list of best game this generation 5 years from now when talk of the next systems pop up.
Old 04-14-15, 12:42 AM

It's been great to see so much praise in this thread regarding Bloodborne. For the others who have played the prior Souls games, they've always been considered "niche titles". I am one who has played them all, but even I figured that this would review well, but still end up being "niche". It's been amazing, to say the least, at how many were willing to give it a shot, or maybe do a 180 after thinking the prior games were "too hard".

It's also just been plain great to have another great installment from Miyazaki, not to mention the first real PS4 exclusive that made me go WOW.
Old 04-14-15, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did somewhat of a "Boo-boo" yesterday.....after we defeated Amelia I went to Alfred and the Door to access the next area. While talking to Alfred, I put the controller down to get something to drink and the fire button was hit and shot Alfred point-blank. He drew his sword and started chasing me. I went back out where he couldn't reach me so to figure out what I have to do......I guess I have to kill him to get to the door right? If so what bearing on the story and him later on?
Old 04-14-15, 09:47 AM
gamer for life

It will not make that much difference...but yeah you will have to kill him or run past him..he will never forgive you...

"
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio and From Software’s PlayStation 4 action RPG Bloodborne have cumulatively sold through more than one millin units worldwide as of April 5, Sony announced.

The number includes both Blu-ray disc sell-through quantities and download version sales on the PlayStation Store.

“Bloodborne was a new challenge for us, and our goal was to create a title that took full advantage of the power of PS4,” said SCE Worldwdie Studios president Shuhei Yoshida."

that is 2 weeks of sales...

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/bloodborn...lion-worldwide
Old 04-14-15, 09:49 AM
gamer for life

should easily hit 3 million world wide before the year is done...and will hang around for the next few years as sales and such keep happening...

from neogaf

Bloodborne : 1 million sold in 10 days (PS4)

Dark Souls II : 1.2 million shipped in 3 weeks (PS3, 360)

Last edited by foxdvd; 04-14-15 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh. Mediocre niche title.
Old 04-14-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just finished off the boss at the Chapel

Spoiler:
he was actually relatively easy because of the spiral staircase which he can't really hit you from. I would run out, take a few whacks, run back to safety to heal...repeat. Those 3 hunters were definitely harder.

I think I am nearing the end, not counting one or two optional bosses left..maybe its time to go back and try to kill Mr. Cainhurst himself.
Old 04-14-15, 03:58 PM

I guess I have to kill him to get to the door right? If so what bearing on the story and him later on?
There will be a consequence of not being able to get his badge, thus being unable to get the weapon or gear (just the helmet/head piece) he uses on this playthrough. The weapon is more of a "joke" weapon (in my opinion), but, you won't be able to get it, and, thus, the trophy for all weapons until NG+.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.