Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 11:24 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Here is 4 minute video of me using the Ludwig's Holy Blade...no story spoilers and I cut it off at the end because there is a cool surprise I don't want to spoil. Also my timing is off late because of some bitch with a gun, but you can see how this weapon works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvEqyQ__OiA
Old 03-30-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The machine gun guy was a bastard. Made short work of me twice. On the third try, I got to the top of the ladder and started shooting him right away. Two shots and he's off the ledge.

The blood starved beast is super hard so far. I need to level up a little bit, I think, and keep at it. I've been using the hammer for a while and really like it. Scales well with strength. I need to look into this other weapon everyone is carrying on about. Don't think I have access to it yet.
Old 03-30-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I want that sword!

I am having a tough time with this game. I have to play it in small doses because it has a way of breaking my spirit.
Old 03-30-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
The machine gun guy was a bastard. Made short work of me twice. On the third try, I got to the top of the ladder and started shooting him right away. Two shots and he's off the ledge.

The blood starved beast is super hard so far. I need to level up a little bit, I think, and keep at it. I've been using the hammer for a while and really like it. Scales well with strength. I need to look into this other weapon everyone is carrying on about. Don't think I have access to it yet.
I keep getting the Blood Starved down to 25% life and thing I'm toast.
Old 03-30-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I didn't get to play much at all this weekend...due to a certain special 7lb-10oz Baby Girl....but I must be lagging way behind after reading several post on areas, bosses, weapons and character level. So I guess I need to kick it in a bit.

I just did some late night farming last night just to get my character to Level 15.....I need 16 Strength for the Kirkhammer. I explored some parts I've been to already and found the "Saw Spear". I'm also guessing there really is not much difference between it and the Saw blade to switch over? But I wanted to know.....

I assume since the Kirkhammer was being offered in the first area that I'm about right in terms of level...like somewhere in the Level 15-18 or should I be a bit higher? The Level you should or can be relative to the place and area you are in is something that got me wondering?

I know of two gates I cannot get thru...the first one in the courtyard when you start to your right and the other is one right past the two large Ogres in the large courtyard. I thought somewhere on that side where the sewers are (where I found the Saw Spear) is some back way in?
Old 03-30-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buzz, I think you and I are at around the same place so don't worry about it. I beat CB and just found FG who kicked my butt. I'm taking my time and enjoying the ride. I bought and use the Kirkhammer. Found the Saw Spear too. I think the Saw Spear is more skill based so it is a little faster. Emperor Charon aka Pyrrhonist wrote a good summary on it:

I have been using the saw spear since getting it in the sewers early on (you cut it down from the ceiling, it's on a body). It's got the advantage of quick speed, great transformation combo ability, and, if you just simply transform it, it's got good distance (especially for the R2 backstab to stun for visceral attacks). I have it at +4 right now (just 1 twin bloodstone shard away from +5), and the 2 blood gems I have on it provide increase to damage, thrust, and give some healing bonuses. It's a great weapon
Also, like Max said, I have to play this game in small doses because I'm not very good and I get frustrated. But it is so very satisfying when I finally beat a boss or find a new shortcut. I think that is a draw of this game. It knows how to punish you just enough before rewarding you. I guess I'm in a BDSM relationship with it.
Old 03-30-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I know of two gates I cannot get thru...the first one in the courtyard when you start to your right and the other is one right past the two large Ogres in the large courtyard. I thought somewhere on that side where the sewers are (where I found the Saw Spear) is some back way in?
Yeah that first gate when you start is vital, try to figure out where that one opens (it opens from the other side) because it gets you to the Celtic Beast (first boss) in about 2 seconds, as well as the area w/ the two trolls. Or am I thinking of a different area?
Old 03-30-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah that first gate when you start is vital, try to figure out where that one opens (it opens from the other side) because it gets you to the Celtic Beast (first boss) in about 2 seconds, as well as the area w/ the two trolls. Or am I thinking of a different area?
And the werewolves. I cheese farm (using the door) those guys every time.
Old 03-30-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, I get why the load times are so long now, but I sort of wish they found a better way to "reset" the level other than reloading this entire massive world and every single enemy everytime you die. It literally is like booting GTA V from scratch every time you die.
Old 03-30-15, 09:10 AM
gamer for life

Early on when you see the YOU DIED screen a lot the load times just are ridiculous. As you level up and get better it is not as big of a deal because you don't go down as much.
Old 03-30-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gooter
Buzz, I think you and I are at around the same place so don't worry about it. I beat CB and just found FG who kicked my butt. I'm taking my time and enjoying the ride. I bought and use the Kirkhammer. Found the Saw Spear too. I think the Saw Spear is more skill based so it is a little faster. Emperor Charon aka Pyrrhonist wrote a good summary on it:

Also, like Max said, I have to play this game in small doses because I'm not very good and I get frustrated. But it is so very satisfying when I finally beat a boss or find a new shortcut. I think that is a draw of this game. It knows how to punish you just enough before rewarding you. I guess I'm in a BDSM relationship with it.
Yea...I'm torn on that Saw Spear but I won't to get and level up the Kirkhammer....that way I have two different types to carry around and use depending on the situation. I've leveled up my Saw blade twice so far and it does the job. And I'm not very good at this at all since I didn't play the Souls games. It's more of being upset at myself at being stupid and careless sometimes. I'm still trying to figure out how I got the Cleric Beast down the first time yet get killed a few times by "Franken Lumpy" beating on the gate?

Gooter....And the werewolves. I cheese farm (using the door) those guys every time.

Done this at least 3-4 times...works like charm.

Rich.....Yeah that first gate when you start is vital, try to figure out where that one opens (it opens from the other side) because it gets you to the Celtic Beast (first boss) in about 2 seconds, as well as the area w/ the two trolls. Or am I thinking of a different area?

Yes...the gate I'm talking about is when you start out going up the long steps inside the house (after you take down the first Werewolf inside) and you're in a courtyard. You can hear "Big Fatty" above moaning and stomping. If you go to your right there are some iron gates you cannot open but you can see a body to the left on the ground glowing.
Old 03-30-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Once the weapons are unlocked at the bath messengers, it really doesn't take long to farm enough echos to buy whatever you want. And the upgrade mats, at least to get up to +3 can be farmed pretty easily too. Plus, you can swap out the gems as much as you want (I think) so it's very easy to experiment with new weapons and find what you like.
Old 03-30-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Early on when you see the YOU DIED screen a lot the load times just are ridiculous. As you level up and get better it is not as big of a deal because you don't go down as much.
You say that as if it's a good, excusable thing. It should actually be the reverse, good game design should ease you into it's difficulty, and not get you frustrated with excessive loading right off the bat. Later on, when you're hooked, that's when you're more willing to sit through load times. The way they have it now is just stupid.
Old 03-30-15, 10:11 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by slop101
You say that as if it's a good, excusable thing. It should actually be the reverse, good game design should ease you into it's difficulty, and not get you frustrated with excessive loading right off the bat. Later on, when you're hooked, that's when you're more willing to sit through load times. The way they have it now is just stupid.
I am not saying it is a good thing, just that it gets better. It really is only one of two flaws with an otherwise amazing game. (other being stutter) I would also go so far as to say the load time is punishment for failing and adds another layer of tension when you play. Not only do you not want to lose your echos but also not deal with the load time.

I am not sure how much the upcoming patch is going to fix this though, since they populate the world each time you load, and you can travel all over for hours and never see a load screen. They either have to load in assets as you get closer, which probably is not possible this late, or pull some magic out of their ass. I fully expect the improvement, if any, will be minor.

The stutter and slowdown on the other hand I think they will fix. Other games have been fixed real quick (resident evil revelations 2 being the most recent)
Old 03-30-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
He didn't say it like a good thing, just a "shrug off" because that's all you can do. The load times are unbearable at the beginning of the game and I seriously hope they fix that.

But he is right, the further you get, the less you see the screen. It's a shame that this games biggest misstep is the intro / first boss fight, as it's a phenomenally fun game, but I can see it turning a lot of people off before they ever get to the actual game itself - especially with the 45 second load times. There has to be a better way to do it, Hunter's Dream should be apart of the standard load (ie: no load time switching to it, the place is tiny compared to the rest of the already loaded game world) and there has to be an easier way to reset all the enemies than just reloading the entire world map each time. Hopefully they figure it out and push out a patch sometime soon, there should be a single long 45 second load when you start the game, and then close to none after that.

Anyway, there's a big patch coming out this week apparently, we'll see where we're at after that. It doesn't detract for me, as I'm having a blast, but it'd be nice to see a few of its issues resolved.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-30-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't see why having to load the entire world should cause such a ridiculous load time. Dark Souls loaded the entire world and didn't have that problem.
Old 03-30-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's no secret the "Load Screen' issue is a real pain to everyone. From some article I read, the Devs have stated every Wednesday the servers will be down a bit for updates and the Loading Screen issue is suppose to have a fix this Wednesday.

I don't mind seeing the You Died a much as seeing it when I'm half-a-mile away from the re-spawn part. You've got to run past &re-fight your way back if you want to get back your Blood Echoes or continue where you left off. part of me understands it but the other part is..."Are you kidding me....start over?". I know you can use something to reclaim your lost Echoes. So why not have something you can buy and use to put you back to where you died or close to?
Old 03-30-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly the whole loading scenario is perplexing to me as well. Especially why there's a load time at all loading a map as small as Hunter's Dream.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
It's no secret the "Load Screen' issue is a real pain to everyone. From some article I read, the Devs have stated every Wednesday the servers will be down a bit for updates and the Loading Screen issue is suppose to have a fix this Wednesday.

I don't mind seeing the You Died a much as seeing it when I'm half-a-mile away from the re-spawn part. You've got to run past &re-fight your way back if you want to get back your Blood Echoes or continue where you left off. part of me understands it but the other part is..."Are you kidding me....start over?". I know you can use something to reclaim your lost Echoes. So why not have something you can buy and use to put you back to where you died or close to?
There is nothing to reclaim your lost echoes afaik, there is just an item that lets your be "reawaken" and keep your Echoes. At least that's all I've seen. The funny thing is I think there's an over emphasis on Echoes and players of this game. Just figure out a strategy to level up a little bit, as your progress in the game you get a boatload of echoes with little effort. But some people like to level up early on and that could get frustrating since the weaker enemies means fewer echoes, and it is a pretty big circle to get back to the lamps at that point. Of course, the cost of potions and such go up as your progress, but the cost to Level up increments the same. Meaning it's cheap to level up through Level 15 or so, and people seem to be making it unintentionally more difficult than it needs to be.

The most amusing thing to me so far this game though is Cleric Beast. Because so many people rage quit over him, and he's a completely optional boss. Though you would have to find Insight elsewhere (which isn't all the tough).

Last edited by RichC2; 03-30-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yea...losing the Echoes is no big deal to me since I hardly carry a lot to begin with. Wasn't the case at the beginning because I had no real clue to what everything was, the level up system, items, etc...the only thing mattered to me was understanding the combat, movement and staying alive...which I wasn't to good at first. Heck....I didn't even want to deal with "Franken Lumpy" at first banging on the door. And the Werewolves...no-way & stay-away. Now it's not so much worry as how to approach, try something and work on the timing. So far my motto has been...'"Watch For the Wind-up...MOVE"

The gameplay and seeing "You Died" doesn't bother me nearly as much as not really understanding what the items are & do and when to use them. There are far many choices, lots of options and a leveling system I still need to grasp of. Sort of like running into combat, getting killed several times and suddenly realizing I could've use this or that or put some point in here to level up, etc....
Old 03-30-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I wish they would replenish my molotovs like they do for blood vials and bullets. There's nothing worse than dying , loading screen, go to hunters dream, load screen, replenish my molotovs, return to world, another fucking load screen. That's about two minutes worth of loading! I hope they fix the replenishing for the next patch.
Old 03-30-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The continuous surprise of new (and devastating) enemies as well as varied and very detailed locations blow me away. I will say that I am not very good at this game and there is a way that exists as of right now to help out those of us that aren't too good at taking a beating and wanting to continually come back for more.
Old 03-30-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the game feels like a continual discovery, and there's no big "Look! New Enemy Type!" or "Look! Behold the Grand New Vista!" it all just blends and feels like a living, breathing world that I would never want to visit.

Was going through my Steam acct and realized I have Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, neat, will have to give it another shot when I'm done here.
Old 03-30-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

The most amusing thing to me so far this game though is Cleric Beast. Because so many people rage quit over him, and he's a completely optional boss. Though you would have to find Insight elsewhere (which isn't all the tough).
I don't think he is optional. I am pretty sure that unless you defeat him, you are never given the chance to purchase the gate key for the Cathedral ward from the messengers.
Old 03-30-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I don't think he is optional. I am pretty sure that unless you defeat him, you are never given the chance to purchase the gate key for the Cathedral ward from the messengers.
The key
Spoiler:
is also optional, more of a shortcut really

Regardless, CB should be easy once you get to a decent level with a decently upgraded weapon. I'm well past the Cathedral Ward and don't own that key yet, that may bite me in the ass later.
Old 03-30-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The continuous surprise of new (and devastating) enemies as well as varied and very detailed locations blow me away. I will say that I am not very good at this game and there is a way that exists as of right now to help out those of us that aren't too good at taking a beating and wanting to continually come back for more.
Do tell! Spoiler if necessary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.