Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Playstation Now - Streaming Service Announced.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation Now - Streaming Service Announced.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Playstation Now - Streaming Service Announced.

How would a game replicate 10 buttons, two analogs and a digital pad on an iPad? Seems like a DS controller would be obvious. Not to mention, why would you want to try and play a PS3 game with nothing but touch controls? Sounds like a nightmare to me.
Old 01-09-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

There are many games that could be boiled down to what many games to now. A cursor on the left side, followed by some buttons on the side. I guess it just seems pointless to lug around your tablet/phone and a dualshock with you everywhere, just so you could play a streaming PS game. I know there are companies with smaller bluetooth controllers out there, like this one that was recently announced: http://www.impulsecontroller.com/

Something like that makes far more sense than having a controller everywhere you go.
Old 01-09-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Maybe he means that it's disappointing that you can't use other forms of input? If you have a separate, dedicated controller in your hands, that means you're obviously not holding the phone/tablet. If you're not holding the phone/tablet, that presumably means you have it on a stand, propped up on a flat, steady surface. If you're basically using your phone/tablet like a mini-TV (rather than the controllers that snap into the display, giving more of a Wii U gamepad/PSP/Vita/GBA/etc.-like experience), coupled with the bandwidth requirements, it seems like the opportunities to take full advantage are awfully limited.

Maybe I'm not all there , but when I first read about PlayStation Now on phones/tablets, I had virtual buttons in mind. It wouldn't be a complete match, but you don't have all the PS3/PS4 buttons on a Vita either.
Old 01-09-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I assumed there'd be the option of virtual buttons as well, along with standard controller input.
Old 01-09-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meh, I kept my PS3 for its (now) superior blu ray playback, but also for games. I'd be mildly interested in some streaming PS2 games, but depends on the cost.
Old 01-09-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, I assumed there'd be the option of virtual buttons as well, along with standard controller input.
That'd just be awful. Many games utilize the trigger buttons, expecting near simultaneous use of them. which wouldn't be easily translated to a touch interface where the number of fingers available for pressing buttons isn't as many.

It's clear that the phone/tablet option is mostly just an afterthought; Sony is focusing on integrating PSNow with its existing consoles and new TVs. For portability, they'd much rather you buy a Vita instead of using your phone.

I can see something like the GameKlip becoming popular though:

http://buy.thegameklip.com/
Old 01-09-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just emphasize what the service is not. It's not supposed to be a replacement of your Vita, or DS, or any mobile gaming device, to bring in the road. I mean who would carry a DS3 with them all the time?

This is suppose to be played at home, in your Bravia TV, or tablet/smartphone. And of course your Sony consoles if you want to.

Besides, since you are streaming all the time, I can't see this working fine in the USA with our cell providers.
Old 01-09-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh, there are hotspots everywhere now and most LTE providers give you a solid 6 - 45 mbps so I can see it working via mobile, the ping might be a little too high though.
Old 01-09-14, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Question: How were you expecting to be able to play a PS2 / PS3 game on a tablet/phone without a controller?
I wasn't expecting to be able to play without a controller. I was just hoping to be able to use another controller besides the PS controller, like the 360 controller for example. I just really do not like the positioning of the left analog stick on PS controllers at all.
Old 01-09-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the idea of being able to "rent" select games. With my backlog, I dont think I could justify a monthly subscription.
Old 01-09-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Even the slightest bit of lag would make 99% of games unplayable.
Old 01-09-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
I wasn't expecting to be able to play without a controller. I was just hoping to be able to use another controller besides the PS controller, like the 360 controller for example. I just really do not like the positioning of the left analog stick on PS controllers at all.
I'm one of the biggest DS3 dissenters out there (2nd worst controller of all time, IMO) but the DS4 is fantastic. I'm not a fan of the analog alignment either but what they did with the size of the controller and the grips nearly negates not having offset sticks. If you picture a DS3 compared to a DS4, your thumb falls about halfway between the digital and analog despite them not being offset. It's fascinating how they pulled that off without moving the analog at all.
Old 02-28-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beta invite emails are starting to go out, so keep an eye out.
Old 05-19-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

From today's PS Blog posting

PlayStation Now: PS4 Private Beta Starts Tomorrow

+ Posted by Peter Jamshidi on May 19, 2014 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Now

Hi all, since January, a growing number of PlayStation fans have been enjoying the Private Beta program for PlayStation Now, our streaming game service launching this summer.

Up until this point, our Private Beta for PS Now has been available on PlayStation 3 systems. We’re pleased to announce that the Private Beta program is expanding and will make its debut on PlayStation 4 systems on May 20. If you’ve registered for the PS Now Private Beta, keep an eye on your mailbox for a voucher code.

PS Now gives you the freedom to play select PS3 games like you already stream movies, TV, shows, and music – directly to your favorite PS Now compatible devices without any discs or downloads. The first supported devices launching in 2014 are PS4, PS3, select 2014 Bravia TVs, and PlayStation Vita, with more devices down the road.

The Private Beta program has been going great so far, and we want to give thanks to the testers that have participated – your valuable feedback is helping us make the service even better. Thus far, Private Beta testers have logged more than 50,000 gameplay hours discovering new games, rediscovering favorites and racking up Trophies!

We are also happy to announce that access to the PS3 Private Beta program will expand to a broader audience in the near future. If you aren’t a member of our Private Beta community yet, click here to register your interest. Please be patient if you’ve already registered but haven’t received an invitation yet. We are inviting more Private Beta testers on a regular basis.

We’re eager to launch PS Now more widely – stay tuned to this blog for more details. And remember, if you’re already in the PS Now Private Beta, we want to hear from you so post feedback / impressions in our private forums.
Old 05-19-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-19-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got registered. Thanks, Decker!
Old 07-30-14, 03:33 PM

The PlayStation Now Open Beta Begins Tomorrow in North America

Open beta to kick off with 100 games.

By Vince IngenitoThe PlayStation Now open beta begins tomorrow for all North American PS4 owners, and the service's Senior Director Jack Buser divulged some details to IGN during a recent interview.
<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/22/ps-now-beta-has-rental-system-and-a-ton-of-new-games" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As has been mentioned previously, Sony is looking into offering a flat subscription fee model for its upcoming PlayStation Now game streaming service in addition to the a la carte pricing currently seen in the private beta.

"We're working diligently to bring a subscription option to gamers to compliment our rental offering for PlayStation Now," said Buser. "We believe that offering both of these options would provide gamers the freedom to discover and play games in ways that weren't before possible."

Buser couldn't offer concrete details about when such an option might become available, and was careful to note that nothing was set in stone. Pricing for PlayStation Now rentals as they exist now are still in flux, with Buser stating that they'll be looking at feedback from users throughout the beta process. Some games will be offered at a rental price as low as $1.99 - one dollar lower than the current lowest price in the private beta. Buser also mentioned that a "rent-to-buy" solution is also being considered, but that with the service still being in its early days, it's simply too soon to tell.
<iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/17/playstation-now-is-56-fair-to-rent-games" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PlayStation Now is already receiving a healthy level of publisher support, with 50 companies committing to make their games available for the service. Buser also let us know that 100 games would be available at the start of open beta, and that new games would be added over time. Be sure to stay tuned to IGN for new game announcements as we learn about them.
Old 07-30-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I stopped even opening the beta when I saw the prices they were trying to charge. Unless they become much more reasonable I won't be using the service.
Old 07-30-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I tried to boot up Eden the other day just to see if it still worked. I assumed the beta games would remain free until the official launch.

I want Pixeljunk to port it over to PS4. I don't want to rent it.
Old 07-30-14, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I stopped even opening the beta when I saw the prices they were trying to charge. Unless they become much more reasonable I won't be using the service.
There are still some freebies even with the new prices in effect. I grabbed some sort of short-order cook game for a 90 day rental and my 8 yr old boy just LOVES it.
Old 07-30-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

It was one of the items I uninstalled today in order to install the Last of Us.

Not impressed, but then again, I still have and use my PS3.
Old 07-31-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Good read on how the prices are still completely ridiculous: http://kotaku.com/playstation-now-is...ive-1614022375
Old 07-31-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Good read on how the prices are still completely ridiculous: http://kotaku.com/playstation-now-is...ive-1614022375
Those prices right now are a fucking joke! No way I'm paying that.

I will prefer a Netflix/Hulu+ type of service that I pay a set amount monthly for an unlimited number of games.
Old 07-31-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

This article notes that Sony is looking into creating a subscription option:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...now-streaming/
Old 07-31-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm glad that Sony realize that their a la carte pricing is ridiculous. Hope that the subscription pricing becomes a reality including a confirmation from them about PS2 and PS1 games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.