Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: PC Gaming Thread

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Okay. So it's not comparable to the desktop 960? I have seen videos of the desktop 960 running Witcher 3 at 40 fps on high settings.
Nope, mobile chips aren't really comparable to the desktop versions with the same name.

Here are some benchmarks and overview of the 960M that came up in a search that includes some games from the last couple years - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-....138006.0.html
Old 05-26-15, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to fit a desktop GPU like the 960 GTX into a small console size case? Will it be too cramped and overheat? I really only have room for something with about 5" height in my entertainment center, so even a small tower case won't fit.
Old 05-26-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Is it possible to fit a desktop GPU like the 960 GTX into a small console size case? Will it be too cramped and overheat? I really only have room for something with about 5" height in my entertainment center, so even a small tower case won't fit.
It will not, desktop GPUs are by and large gargantuan.
Old 05-26-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, nope... you'll need to go the custom route unfortunately. Most OEM graphics cards are around 4.5" tall, but then you have the case as well, it's going to be closer to 6" tall at the smallest I'd guess.
Old 05-27-15, 12:12 AM
Banned

The recent complaints about the small text in Witcher 3 just made me think of this, but how readable is using a PC on an HDTV? HDTV has very low DPI compared to an actual monitor. So is web browsing and MS Office and things of that nature with heavy text readable on an HDTV or is it a blurry mess?
Old 05-27-15, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually don't have any issues with the text on my 64" TV for Witcher 3. There are plenty of games that do give me trouble though, usually MMO's (luckily most have UI scaling). My TV is about 10 feet away. For things like a browser or office you can always increase the font size if it's too small. The low DPI isn't really a concern since you counter that by not sitting 2 feet away from it like you do from a monitor, which is why text being too small is sometimes an issue.
Old 05-27-15, 11:59 AM
Banned

Anyone use a mini-ITX case for gaming? I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119292

The description says it will take a full size GPU. It is about 9" tall, and if I remove a shelf in my entertainment center it would just barely fit. I am just worried with a very compact case like that if it will overheat easily.
Old 05-27-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone use a mini-ITX case for gaming? I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119292

The description says it will take a full size GPU. It is about 9" tall, and if I remove a shelf in my entertainment center it would just barely fit. I am just worried with a very compact case like that if it will overheat easily.
It probably wouldn't overheat, it'll just require enough fans. With that though comes noise.
Old 05-27-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That case would probably work. If it has a 120mm fan in the front intake, and then hopefully another in the back, it should be pretty quiet, and not overheat.

This is the case I use for my HTPC, it's by no means small, full size ATX, but it looks pretty nice. It's not cheap, but I bought it thinking I'd probably never replace it, and it'll hold basically any GPU. I really like the folding flaps for the optical drives, keeps the front looking very clean and sleek.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-196-_-Product

The only issue I have with it is in my TV stand it is so wide that it doesn't leave much room for ventilation on the sides, so it tends to run a bit hot and the fans have to crank up in speed to compensate. In my new house I'm just going to put it in my bedroom closet that is directly opposite the TV, then the temperatures will be much better and noise irrelevant.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-27-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking to build a gaming pc. Want to spend around $1000 can maybe push it to $1200. Looking to play GTA V at close to max. There is so much info out there, can any one help me with components. Have never built a custom pc before, but have been watching videos all day, it seems like its something I can handle. Don't need a monitor. If possible would like to hook it up to my tv
Old 05-28-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Looking to build a gaming pc. Want to spend around $1000 can maybe push it to $1200. Looking to play GTA V at close to max. There is so much info out there, can any one help me with components. Have never built a custom pc before, but have been watching videos all day, it seems like its something I can handle. Don't need a monitor. If possible would like to hook it up to my tv
Max at what resolution? 1080p, 4k, 2k?
Old 05-29-15, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Max at what resolution? 1080p, 4k, 2k?
I would be happy at 1080p at 60 fps
Old 05-29-15, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a system I put together:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XZpDVn

You'll definitely be able to play GTA5 at max settings @ 1080p60 with it. Just be aware with what I mentioned above about the GD08 case and having enough room on the sides of it for ventilation. You may want to put in a bigger SSD and remove the HDD, up to you.
Old 05-29-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 630 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn

You'll definitely be able to play GTA5 at max settings @ 1080p60 with it. Just be aware with what I mentioned above about the GD08 case and having enough room on the sides of it for ventilation. You may want to put in a bigger SSD and remove the HDD, up to you.
Wow. That looks a lot like my system. Even the same case.
Old 05-29-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haha cool, yeah I own that case too (I mentioned it in a previous post), and it's fantastic. Looks great, and easy to work with. I'm still rocking an i5-2500K in it. It's getting a little long in the tooth, but I'll probably get another year out of it before I upgrade.

I'm going to be building a new system soon, but it's going to be used as a home server:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cQFCP6

I currently have a QNAP NAS with 2 4TB Red drives, but it's not powerful enough for what I need, so I'll just be transferring over the drives and selling the NAS.

Just waiting for prices to drop or Skylake to come out... depending on how impatient I get.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-29-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For a more regular desktop tower, I love my Fractal Design Define R4 :P
Old 05-29-15, 10:39 AM

You guys like the R9 over the Nvidia 970?
Old 05-29-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I have the same case and it's awesome.
Old 05-29-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice. I'm looking forward to using the 804, their cases seem to get pretty good reviews. I just wanted something relatively small, but in mATX form factor and not mITX, while still having lots of drive bays. The 804 has 10 drive bays, so I should be good on expandability.
Old 05-29-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys like the R9 over the Nvidia 970?
I'm biased, but I think if you look at price/performance, it's better, depending on what games are currently bundled with the cards.
Old 05-29-15, 11:29 AM
Banned

Nice. I'm looking forward to using the 804, their cases seem to get pretty good reviews. I just wanted something relatively small, but in mATX form factor and not mITX, while still having lots of drive bays. The 804 has 10 drive bays, so I should be good on expandability.
Is there any practical difference (other than size) between a smaller motherboard and a larger one? Why don't you like mITX? I posted a link to an MITX case several posts ago that appears to be good for gaming since it is large enough to take a full size GPU.
Old 05-29-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there any practical difference (other than size) between a smaller motherboard and a larger one? Why don't you like mITX? I posted a link to an MITX case several posts ago that appears to be good for gaming since it is large enough to take a full size GPU.
Since it's a server, I wanted as many SATA ports as possible, as well as extra PCIE slots for potentially adding more SATA ports or a raid controller. mITX is too limiting, I don't think there was a single motherboard that had more than 4 SATA ports unless it also had a soldered in micro PC CPU. They also usually don't have any more than one PCIE slot and only 2 DIMM slots. I also wasn't limited on space too much, as this system won't be visible or even easily accessible physically speaking, and won't have a keyboard/mouse/monitor hooked up to it.

Unless you are really restricted space wise, mATX or even ATX (at least having the flexibility to install an ATX motherboard) is a much better option.

Also, if you are planning on overclocking, check out the Asus Maximus line's of motherboards, they are pretty fantastic for overclocking. Some of the most trouble free motherboards I've ever used as well, both hardware and software wise. They can be a bit pricey though.
Old 05-29-15, 11:44 AM

How about a power supply? 750w good enough or is that overkill?
Old 05-29-15, 11:50 AM
Banned

Since it's a server, I wanted as many SATA ports as possible, as well as extra PCIE slots for potentially adding more SATA ports or a raid controller. mITX is too limiting, I don't think there was a single motherboard that had more than 4 SATA ports unless it also had a soldered in micro PC CPU. They also usually don't have any more than one PCIE slot and only 2 DIMM slots. I also wasn't limited on space too much, as this system won't be visible or even easily accessible physically speaking, and won't have a keyboard/mouse/monitor hooked up to it.

Unless you are really restricted space wise, mATX or even ATX (at least having the flexibility to install an ATX motherboard) is a much better option.

Also, if you are planning on overclocking, check out the Asus Maximus line's of motherboards, they are pretty fantastic for overclocking. Some of the most trouble free motherboards I've ever used as well, both hardware and software wise. They can be a bit pricey though.
I'm not a computer person at all, so I understood maybe 10% of what you just posted.

I was just worried that maybe a smaller motherboard was slower and/or had worse performance than a larger motherboard. Similar to how the mobile components in a laptop are slower than their desktop counterparts.

I don't want a server or anything. I just want my HTPC to play video games, watch Netflix and Hulu, and surf the web.

I would never even attempt to overclock anything. As I said, I'm not a computer person, so I would be too afraid I would blow something up. Plus, from what I understand, overclocking raises the temperature, so you need better cooling. I just plan to go with stock cooling since I don't really want to mess with anything else.
Old 05-29-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm happy with my Antec P280

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.