Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Old 04-27-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: PC Gaming Thread

That was quick. Good on Valve/Bethesda for listening.

I can imagine when they bring this back, to start with a brand new game/engine, say Source 2.0, rather than into an already established game. If, for example, Half-Life 3 came out and paid mods are available from the beginning, the backlash might not be so bad.

In addition, if they're going to bring it back, give the content creators more than a 25% cut.
Old 04-28-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I know that was true for the half of Final Doom called "Evilution". Do you know if it was also true for the half called "The Plutonia Experiment"?
http://5years.doomworld.com/interviews/dariocasali/
How did you get involved with The Plutonia Experiment?

Since I was soon to lose my internet connection, Milo and I decided to make an 8 level single player episode and release it for free. It would be based on our own rules and our own style of gameplay (very challenging, tactical combat). Together we whipped the 8 levels out in just over a month, and before releasing it, I sent it to American McGee, who was impressed enough to demo it to the rest of the ID crew. They asked us if we could make them a 31 level game in less than 4 months! We did so, and this was entitled the Plutonia Experiment, and became part of Final Doom.
Originally Posted by dugan
Apart from that, there were plenty of good paid mods, including some level packs for Quake (Abyss of Pandemonium, Dissolution of Eternity, Malice, Shrak, Sourge of Armagon, etc).
Yeah, so almost as long as there's been mods, there's been a subsection of people looking to get paid for making them.
Old 04-30-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There's going to be a PC specific press conference at E3 this year. Kind of neat.

http://kotaku.com/this-years-e3-will...pcs-1701205376
Old 05-01-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Today Square Enix, Microsoft and Nvidia showcased an incredible tech demo that can be considered the successor of Agni’s Philosophy at Build 2015.

The demo, created with DirectX 12 and Nvidia GameWorks Effects Studio, runs on a super-high-end PC with four GTX Titan video cards. It’s named WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry], and it’s a real-time attempt to cross the uncanny valley and finally show an animated character that truly looks human.

Whether the uncanny valley crossing has been successful or not is for you to judge, but it’s doubtless that the video showcases an incredible level of fidelity. The skin is incredible, with 8k by 8k textures, over 63 million polygons (6 to 10 times as many as what was possible on DirectX 11) and each strand of hair is an individually rendered polygon.

You can check it out in the video below, courtesy of YouTube user Michael Wieczorek, and a set of fantastic screenshots provided directly by Square Enix.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e1mwhdYZvSE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-05-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nvidia's new promo for GTX 970/980 now includes both Arkham Knight and Witcher 3.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...rce-gtx-bundle

My 770 was acting up so I went back down to my old 570. Tempted by this, despite new AMD cards coming soon.
Old 05-05-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody install the GOG Galaxy thing yet? Seems like a pretty good idea on their end.
Old 05-05-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000
Anybody install the GOG Galaxy thing yet? Seems like a pretty good idea on their end.
I'm waiting for them to e-mail me the invite.
Old 05-05-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Same, I requested access last night and still waiting.
Old 05-06-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received the email for GOG Galaxy today.
Old 05-06-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction on something....

I'm as PC gaming inept as they come. I've been strictly a console and iMac guy since forever. But alot of my friends are really into this iRacing game which my Mac can't run. So I've been thinking about getting one of these mini desktops or something so I can join in the fun. Here are the specs required to play the game.

Windows XP*, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1
Intel Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2 
or higher
NVidia GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon X1800 or above graphics adapter recommended
2 GB system RAM
6 GB free hard disk space
Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Now I was interested in getting one of these mini desktops since space is an issue for me. Could something like this item below run that game? I apologize in advance if there is an easy answer and I'm just not getting it. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DR7VE/...I1YITA89XW6VHW
Old 05-06-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Received the email for GOG Galaxy today.
I haven't received one yet.

EDIT: Actually, I did get it!
Old 05-06-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I've been strictly a console and iMac guy since forever. But alot of my friends are really into this iRacing game which my Mac can't run...
iRacing has an OS X version now:
http://www.iracing.com/mac-os-x-vers...now-available/
http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

You apparently have to sign up and download directly from their site for it; the Mac version isn't available on Steam.

Alternatively, your iMac can likely run windows either dual-boot via Boot Camp or in a Virtual Machine using something like Parallels.
Old 05-06-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to say, with GOG Galaxy it makes me more tempted to get games from there. I like having all Steam like app to manage my games instead of having to go to the website to download them. I don't have too many games on there that I own now, just the old Fallout games and some random things like Gabriel Knight, but I feel more willing to buy all the old Sierra or even LucasArts games now.
Old 05-07-15, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to say, with GOG Galaxy it makes me more tempted to get games from there. I like having all Steam like app to manage my games instead of having to go to the website to download them. I don't have too many games on there that I own now, just the old Fallout games and some random things like Gabriel Knight, but I feel more willing to buy all the old Sierra or even LucasArts games now.
Yeah, it's a nice setup. I also like that they will include an auto-update feature for games (just like Steam) and a rollback option, in case an update "breaks" a game.
Old 05-07-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Alternatively, your iMac can likely run windows either dual-boot via Boot Camp or in a Virtual Machine using something like Parallels.
If you have the disk space and your iMac meets the requirements for the game, just use boot camp to install windows 7 or 8 on a separate partition. its pretty easy to do
Old 05-13-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mentioned this in the Video Games Deal thread, but if anyone needs a controller for PC the XBox One Controller + Cable is $45 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...77402741770316
Old 05-15-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9255/c...arting-at-1755

RAM Upgrade anyone?
Old 05-15-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll wait for 256GB kits
Old 05-15-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

nah... I don't need to double my ram anytime soon.
Old 05-15-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who needs that much RAM?!

*rummages through couch for loose cash*
Old 05-20-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this is the place for it but I ended up getting a gaming pc. My username on steam is "Runjinrun" in case any of you are on that. I honestly only know a small handful of non-console gamers so any new friends would be welcome
Old 05-22-15, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been considering building a gaming PC for awhile now. I have recently been reading that many older games don't run well on modern PCs, and that is kind of making me not want to get into PC gaming. I'm not talking about really old games from the 1990s, but games that are not even 10 years old yet. Games like the first Bioshock and Crysis, for example, I am reading have problems running on modern hardware. Specifically I am reading that Bioshock crashes frequently (about every 10 minutes) on Windows 8.

The biggest reason I wanted to get into PC gaming is because I thought they had backward compatibility, unlike the consoles. All of these compatibility issues I am reading make me wonder if PC gaming is as backward compatible as I had thought though.
Old 05-22-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I play Bioshock all the time, though I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Plays perfectly. Couldn't tell you how it runs on 8.
Old 05-22-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I have been considering building a gaming PC for awhile now. I have recently been reading that many older games don't run well on modern PCs, and that is kind of making me not want to get into PC gaming. I'm not talking about really old games from the 1990s, but games that are not even 10 years old yet. Games like the first Bioshock and Crysis, for example, I am reading have problems running on modern hardware. Specifically I am reading that Bioshock crashes frequently (about every 10 minutes) on Windows 8.

The biggest reason I wanted to get into PC gaming is because I thought they had backward compatibility, unlike the consoles. All of these compatibility issues I am reading make me wonder if PC gaming is as backward compatible as I had thought though.
I had no problem with BioShock in Windows 8. But if it worries you, just get Windows 7.

It's still a PC, some stuff will crash if you have a configuration it doesn't like. But above all that look at the dates of the articles you're reading. Most Windows 8 complaints are pre-8.1, and most were resolved fairly quickly after the complaint became known.

The great thing about Steam is that your games update automatically.
Old 05-22-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I play Bioshock all the time, though I'm using Windows 7 Pro. Plays perfectly. Couldn't tell you how it runs on 8.
I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and it plays most my games beautifully. The only games with which I had issues were the two Knights of the Old Republic games I got from Steam. I can't seem to get past the title screen (if I get there at all).

Saw no benefit to getting Windows 8 but am planning to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.