Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Congrads and welcome aboard......

As far as settings....just check your Devices, storage, audio and video. Have kids that's something to check in terms of safety & access. I'm sure you can browse thru here and send Friend Request...if you want and just take a general tour, layout, get the latest updates and then have fun
Old 06-09-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

If you want to upgrade your drive, do it now before you have a bunch of stuff installed.
Old 06-09-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I received an Uncharted 4 PS4 for my birthday yesterday (thanks wife!), so I guess I can finally start getting into these things.

General settings on the PS4, anything I need to know to enhance my life?
Get Plus, a good headset and some online friends. See you online.
Old 06-10-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sony Confirms PlayStation 4.5, Says More Powerful Console Won't Be At E3

http://kotaku.com/sony-confirms-play...-e3-1781745732
Old 06-10-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Weird that they would acknowledge it but say they're not showing it off at E3 like was previously rumored. I wonder if knowing Microsoft has a year or so before releasing their upgraded version is giving Sony more time too.
Old 06-10-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Congrads and welcome aboard......

As far as settings....just check your Devices, storage, audio and video. Have kids that's something to check in terms of safety & access. I'm sure you can browse thru here and send Friend Request...if you want and just take a general tour, layout, get the latest updates and then have fun
Less tweaking than the initial PS3 setup, that was kind of nice. Interface is a bit uglier, but much quicker loading, especially the library.

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you want to upgrade your drive, do it now before you have a bunch of stuff installed.
I'll probably hold off on this. I only play one game at a time, so I can delete as needed.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Get Plus, a good headset and some online friends. See you online.
I've had plus for years, so I've got all of the games they've given out since PS4 inception. I never gamed online with the PS3, so it remains to be seen if the PS4 can get me into it.
Old 06-10-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The original Psychonauts has been released for the PS4 in the PS Store for $9.99:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...US211200000001

Also, "Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin," the upcoming PSVR title, will be shown at E3:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2?update=179
Old 06-10-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

This has me kind of worried. It's like Sony is leaving the door cracked for the new system to have games that will only run on it.

House predicted that “[a]ll games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4.” No examples were given of the kind of performance boosts gamers who upgrade to the new unit can expect.
Old 06-10-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
This has me kind of worried. It's like Sony is leaving the door cracked for the new system to have games that will only run on it.
That's not what it says. It says that all games will run on the standard PS4, but some games might not run on the new one.
Old 06-10-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos

House predicted that “[a]ll games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4.” No examples were given of the kind of performance boosts gamers who upgrade to the new unit can expect.
I think you're misreading it. The important part is the first part "all games will support the standard PS4." The second part is stating that many, but possibly not all, will also have "enhanced performance" on the Neo, and the few that don't will just perform the same as if they were being played on a standard PS4.

So the game options are:
  1. Games with only Standard PS4 mode (all PS4s can play it).
  2. Games that also have an enhanced mode (all PS4s can play it, but it'll be better on the Neo)
Old 06-10-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That's not what it says. It says that all games will run on the standard PS4, but some games might not run on the new one.
All games will run on the new one, they just may not perform any better than if they were run on a standard PS4.
Old 06-11-16, 02:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking of grabbing the Samsung UHD player for my 4K tv. Mine as well wait for this. Hopefully it runs around the 399 price range
Old 06-11-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Sony guy also specifically commented on consumers being used to an upgrade model and that they were waiting for more games to show it off.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...t_be_at_E3.php

According to House, Sony wants to ensure there are enough games and experiences that can showcase the Neo’s improved functionality before officially unveiling it to the public, which is why it won’t be revealed at E3.

Speaking more broadly about consumer reaction, House believes buyers have become used to frequent, and often costly, upgrades thanks in part to the emergence of high-end smartphones.

"We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety," continued the Sony Interactive Entertainment president.

"The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs."
Old 06-11-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

"Our consumers are made of money!"
Old 06-11-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
"Our consumers are made of money!"
And we want it all!
Old 06-11-16, 08:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, but buying a phone is way different. There are so many deals and such tied into a phone service that makes buying a phone less daunting than buying a new game system every couple of year. If the new system includes an Ultra HD Blu ray player, then it might be worth the upgrade.
Old 06-11-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brack
Sorry, but buying a phone is way different. There are so many deals and such tied into a phone service that makes buying a phone less daunting than buying a new game system every couple of year. If the new system includes an Ultra HD Blu ray player, then it might be worth the upgrade.
I'm not sure how buying a phone is less daunting - people paid $199 and up every year or two while dealing with contracts or now monthly payments, if not more for a phone straight up.

If Sony/Microsoft hold true to the fact that all games are forwards/backwards compatible, i'm not sure what's daunting about it at all.
Old 06-11-16, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure how buying a phone is less daunting - people paid $199 and up every year or two while dealing with contracts or now monthly payments, if not more for a phone straight up.

If Sony/Microsoft hold true to the fact that all games are forwards/backwards compatible, i'm not sure what's daunting about it at all.
You can get a lot of phones free with a contract. There are so many phones, plans and services out there that it's ridiculous. There's nothing like that for gaming systems.
Old 06-11-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can get a lot of phones free with a contract. There are so many phones, plans and services out there that it's ridiculous. There's nothing like that for gaming systems.
I'm still not sure how that's less daunting though, unless you're using that word in a different manner then I am and simply using that word with regards to cost opposed to complexity. Even though there are more options out there with phones, including freebies, it doesn't change the fact that there are millions of people that do what I said previously and regularly upgrade their phones and pay a lot of money doing so. That's the market that the mid-generation upgraded consoles would be going after.

There's some people that buy cheap or free phones and never upgrade, and for that there's still the old version of the consoles for them that can play the same games.

Same goes with a lot of tech gadgets - how many people have upgraded their iPads since the original came out in 2010? It's only been 6 years, and i'm sure many folks have paid $500+ on one or two newer versions.
Old 06-11-16, 09:14 PM

But are enough gamers willing to buy an upgraded console every couple of years? People who buy phones and people who buy consoles don't buy them for the same reasons. Many people buy new phones because of a better operating system, leaving/starting a new service, or have a service where buying a new phone is tied into their service, where additional costs are minimal. If there are enough gamers that want to pay $400 every couple of years or so for an updated console, fine, but history hasn't shown that this is the case.
Old 06-11-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But are enough gamers willing to buy an upgraded console every couple of years? People who buy phones and people who buy consoles don't buy them for the same reasons. Many people buy new phones because of a better operating system, leaving/starting a new service, or have a service where buying a new phone is tied into their service, where additional costs are minimal. If there are enough gamers that want to pay $400 every couple of years or so for an updated console, fine, but history hasn't shown that this is the case.
There hasn't been a history of this with home consoles, so obviously we won't know if consumers will buy in until someone tries it and it looks like both Microsoft and Sony think it will work. Although it could be argued that Nintendo has done something similar with their handhelds.

And with the phone example, i'd argue a lot of people in the demographic I keep referring to do buy new phones for the same reasons as they would a newer console - better tech specs, faster performance, and new features.
Old 06-11-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

There is not one phone that is "free" with a contract. Part of that contract is paying for that phone in installments.
Old 06-11-16, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
There is not one phone that is "free" with a contract. Part of that contract is paying for that phone in installments.
That's if the contract stipulates installments. Not all do.
Old 06-11-16, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There hasn't been a history of this with home consoles, so obviously we won't know if consumers will buy in until someone tries it and it looks like both Microsoft and Sony think it will work. Although it could be argued that Nintendo has done something similar with their handhelds.

And with the phone example, i'd argue a lot of people in the demographic I keep referring to do buy new phones for the same reasons as they would a newer console - better tech specs, faster performance, and new features.
Sega Genesis, with CD and 32X don't count? I know they're add-ons, but they're the same principal. We're talking in circles, because I believe phones and their customers are different from console gamers, and you don't, simple as that.
Old 06-11-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sega Genesis, with CD and 32X don't count? I know they're add-ons, but they're the same principal. We're talking in circles, because I believe phones and their customers are different from console gamers, and you don't, simple as that.
They're not the same principle at all, because all games weren't forwards and backwards compatible. You couldn't play Sewer Shark unless you had the Sega CD, and the number of games that actually took advantage were limited. Theoretically, if all the rumors are to be believed, that wouldn't be the case here - people who don't want to spend more money don't have to - those who want the latest and greatest with better graphics for the same game, can.

And i'm not saying that phone and console consumers are the same or this is exactly the same situation at all; simply that the comparison and upgrade model is very similar when it comes to a particular demographic of users who like having the latest and greatest when it comes to technology. I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that's the case, as it's not even a matter of opinion but a fact for many products in the tech industry. I'm not saying that it's a sure thing that console gamers are willing to drop another $400 mid generation, just that it's clear what Sony is aiming for in the quote that I posted originally.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.