Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

inFAMOUS Second Son (3/21/2014)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: inFAMOUS Second Son (3/21/2014)

I'm about an hour in... maybe less (good playthrough). I know it's early but I'm completely underwhelmed. I suck at aiming and shooting so was hoping for an auto-aim option so therefore I find I'm getting my ass handed to me. I don't need to be overly-challenged - I game mostly for the experience of the story and I'm just not feeling it. Visually
Old 04-01-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm about an hour in... maybe less (good playthrough). I know it's early but I'm completely underwhelmed. I suck at aiming and shooting so was hoping for an auto-aim option so therefore I find I'm getting my ass handed to me.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the boss fights
Old 04-01-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm about an hour in... maybe less (good playthrough). I know it's early but I'm completely underwhelmed. I suck at aiming and shooting so was hoping for an auto-aim option so therefore I find I'm getting my ass handed to me. I don't need to be overly-challenged - I game mostly for the experience of the story and I'm just not feeling it. Visually
Once you get the
Spoiler:
Neon power you can slow down time for aiming,
so that might help. I think you'll get the hang of it.
Old 04-01-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

It kind of has an aim assist, at least it seems that way to me.
Old 04-01-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Yeah, the story left me a little disappointed as well, though it wasn't terrible. As for your aiming woes, stick to story missions and get neon. On the default difficulty, it helps a lot, as you can power it up to slow down time when you're aiming. It's supposed to do the same on expert, but it's so minimal that it hardly makes a difference.
Old 04-01-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal shooting was probably the least common way I took guys out. Rather it was lots of grenades and stun kills, dash kills with smoke, stealth kills (will come later), ultimates, and meteor drops.

Playing evil probably helps too.

If you're playing this as a "shooter", I'm not at all surprised that you're frustrated, because that isn't its strength.
Old 04-01-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Playing evil probably helps too.
I don't know. I had a far easier time getting my meter up for the ultimate moves on good, as it didn't reset. On evil, it's like I'd find 4-5 people, kill them, then not be able to find another group before the meter reset. With neon maxed out on good, it was to the point where I'm tempted to say it was too easy, but I think the combat would've started getting boring if there wasn't a way to quickly take out scads of people.
Old 04-01-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
I'm sure you'll enjoy the boss fights
Well a few posts back about the last boss sure didn't instill me with confidence. I'm just too casual a gamer these days --- no matter how hard I fight it.
Old 04-01-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I just melee and use rockets a lot.
Old 04-01-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 122 Likes on 110 Posts

I did the "Good" side first ..still have about 23% left...and now on the "Evil". Playing Good is a bit trickier since you cannot go all out annihilating everything in site. You want to upgrade Sulfur headshots and then to Knockout....instant Subdue. But to really help get the Giant Sulfur Bomb. That pretty much stuns soldiers (coughing) and you can headshot or dash in to subdue them. It gives you a few seconds so you can to brush on aiming. The bomb is almost a must when you get overwhelmed. It's great when a transport shows up...just wait till it stops when the soldiers jump out, throw out the bomb and take down. As mentioned when you get Neon the aiming is far better; you can slow down time while zooming.
Old 04-01-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, don't hesitate to be a coward. With the exception of a few bosses, this game pretty much always gives you a get out of jail free card. Just dash down an alley or up to the top of a building and then pick people off one at a time as they follow. Combat-wise, this was one of the easier games I've played in some time, but you definitely have to take advantage of the powers.
Old 04-02-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Paper Trail missions are horribly executed
I just want to play a console game, not jump back and forth between the game and my computer (tablet does not allow access to all content)

the toilet paper trail character seems interesting/mysterious but the content needs to be presented in a user friendly manner

Still don't know if I should hold on to this or move it while the value is still high
Old 04-02-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if I would let go the game right away. As I mentioned before you have pretty much a whole city already in play and it's not just a city but a very detailed one at that. How and what type of DLC Sucker Punch can incorporate and take advantage of that is unknown but were also talking PS4 and not a PS3 so they've probably have far many more options.
Old 04-02-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I don't know. I had a far easier time getting my meter up for the ultimate moves on good, as it didn't reset. On evil, it's like I'd find 4-5 people, kill them, then not be able to find another group before the meter reset. With neon maxed out on good, it was to the point where I'm tempted to say it was too easy, but I think the combat would've started getting boring if there wasn't a way to quickly take out scads of people.
While it doesn't increase the number on the meter, if you kill civilians while evil your meter will have more time added to it. So if you kill all the enemies, find civilians until you find more enemies. Basically, just kill everything you see.

On good, your number resets anytime you do something bad. I found myself losing the count many times when one of my shots would hit a head instead of a leg, or a civilian got too close to the battle. In the end, I think it was about even.
Old 04-02-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,488 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Yeah! Plus hitting them in the head with smoke = Good and hitting them in the head with Neon = Evil. That doesn't make a ton of sense. Sure I get killing a surrendering or captured enemy or civilian is Evil, but docking you for sniping a guy behind cover and getting him in the head as he unloads a clip into you didn't seem very fair.
That said, any single drug bust is usually enough to get a Good Ultimate move streak going if you snipe with Neon
Old 04-02-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what the deal with the light bar on the controller? cant figure out what the color changes mean?
Old 04-02-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redbill
what the deal with the light bar on the controller? cant figure out what the color changes mean?
It's how good or evil you are, from very blue to very red.
Old 04-02-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah! Plus hitting them in the head with smoke = Good and hitting them in the head with Neon = Evil. That doesn't make a ton of sense. Sure I get killing a surrendering or captured enemy or civilian is Evil, but docking you for sniping a guy behind cover and getting him in the head as he unloads a clip into you didn't seem very fair.
That said, any single drug bust is usually enough to get a Good Ultimate move streak going if you snipe with Neon
On a side note you can get Evil Karma for taking down the dealers...just don't blowup the drug box
Old 04-02-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my evil playthrough, I didn't discriminate. I killed everybody...drug dealers, Russian mob, protesters, police, DUP...everybody. Sadly, I never found any Seahawks players.

Even though some of those were "blue" missions, I came out just as red as red could be long before I got to the end game.
Old 04-03-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Started plaything this last night. I'm only an hour or so in, but it's pretty fun. I'm playing on normal and staying on the good side. Does it really matter about clearing out the areas close to 100% early? Or just enough to make them a fast travel point?
Old 04-03-14, 10:36 AM

Just down to a Fast Travel point. Though once you get an upgrade on the second power, you don't really need fast travel anymore (except between the two islands, I suppose.

I'm now stuck on (what I assume is) the final boss. In the tower. The same stuff that worked easily on the island isn't cutting it here and I had to rage quit yesterday. Hope I can wrap things up today.
Old 04-03-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Just down to a Fast Travel point. Though once you get an upgrade on the second power, you don't really need fast travel anymore (except between the two islands, I suppose.

I'm now stuck on (what I assume is) the final boss. In the tower. The same stuff that worked easily on the island isn't cutting it here and I had to rage quit yesterday. Hope I can wrap things up today.
I actually thought the last boss was underwhelmingly easy. Pretty sure I died once and was mildly annoyed because I had her down to a sliver of health, and when I came back she was at 3/4.

Spoiler:
Just dash/shoot, keep your distance, and jump/float over her charge attacks. It kind of felt like an easy version of the boss fight in Metroid Prime. It helps that your "missiles" recharge automatically during the fight, or at least they did on whatever setting I was on.

I actually really enjoyed the first fight with her. It wasn't exactly groundbreaking in terms of attack patterns, but doing the charged smoke shot while dashing through the air made Delsin feel really nimble and powerful, and capping with a meteor drop felt epic every time.
Old 04-03-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those of us who have played this no doubt visually it's stunning.I came across this article titled...

How inFAMOUS: Second Son Used the PS4′s 8 (4.5) GB of RAM, CPU and GPU Compute to Make Our Jaws Drop

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/...our-jaws-drop/

...that's a pretty good read. The first part really makes you wonder what's ahead for PS4 games...

inFAMOUS: Second Son is definitely one of the most visually impressive games available now on a new generation system, and at the Game Developers Conference Lead Engine Programmer Adrian Bentley Explained the ins and outs of its engine and how the resources of the PS4 were used for the game.

Interestingly enough, the first thing we learn is that the game uses only 4.5 GB of RAM and 6 cores of the eight included in the PS4′s CPU. The data about memory matches what was shared about The Order: 1886.
Old 04-03-14, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by chess
I actually thought the last boss was underwhelmingly easy. Pretty sure I died once and was mildly annoyed because I had her down to a sliver of health, and when I came back she was at 3/4.

Spoiler:
Just dash/shoot, keep your distance, and jump/float over her charge attacks. It kind of felt like an easy version of the boss fight in Metroid Prime. It helps that your "missiles" recharge automatically during the fight, or at least they did on whatever setting I was on.

I actually really enjoyed the first fight with her. It wasn't exactly groundbreaking in terms of attack patterns, but doing the charged smoke shot while dashing through the air made Delsin feel really nimble and powerful, and capping with a meteor drop felt epic every time.
Yeah, turns out I was doing it wrong
Spoiler:
I kept trying to hit both her stone barrier (right) and then Augustine herself (wrong) with those Blades of Fury missile attacks. It turns out it's really hard to hit her with the missile while dodging the attacks at the same time. Once I came back to it tonight, I switched from that R1 missile to the R2 video rapid fire thing when she was unprotected and made pretty quick work of her. The big thing after you get Concrete didn't give me much trouble at all (fortunately had saved up some free shards for Concrete upgrades before I started the final mission).
bTW was a little disappointed to find no Ultimate Strike for Concrete. Bummer.

Anyway, now done at 91% on Good. Plan to finish up the city and then take a break for a while (back to my poor neglected XO for Titanfall and my rented copies of Thief and Lego Movie) before revisiting the game on Hard/Evil.
Old 04-03-14, 10:43 PM

Checking the Trophies, a vast majority of people must be playing it on Good because even the simple Evil trophies like killing 10 street musicians or killing 10 injured civilians are Rare with less than 20% of people getting them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.