Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Fable Anniversary HD Remake -- Holidays 2013

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Let's take a look at some of the other HD remakes mentioned:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
358/2 Days was originally planned to be included as an HD remade game. However, it would've delayed the title, so it was turned into a cinematic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...ix#Development
I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so I felt the need to point out that when this game was originally announced on Feb 25, 2013, it was announced with 358/2 HD Cinematic, not with the full game. Might not be the first time there was some misinformation on Wikipedia, I don't know...
Old 09-13-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know you're a stickler for accuracy, so I felt the need to point out that when this game was originally announced on Feb 25, 2013, it was announced with 358/2 HD Cinematic, not with the full game. Might not be the first time there was some misinformation on Wikipedia, I don't know...
I think the Wikipedia info comes from this interview, dated October 20, 2012:
http://www.kh2.co.uk/kh-hd-remix/new...5-hd-remix.php
What is the current state of progress on HD?

Nomura: Actually, it’s basically in the final stage. At first I thought about fully remaking Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (hereafter Days) in a form you could actually play. However, work on Days alone would have needed one year at the very least. I worried quite a bit over it, and I thought, weighing up a new title or a remake, players would want the new title. Even so, I had to include Days, so I decided if this is how it has to be then I will re-do it as a video volume.
Or maybe this one, from October 2, 2012:
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Tetsuy...reenshots-3097
Why are you remaking KH 358/2 Days as a video volume rather than a game?

Nomura: Actually, I had also been thinking about doing a full remake like KH Re:Chain of Memories (hereon KH Re:CoM). However, if we had started that it would have considerably delayed starting work on the new title, so it ended up being included in the form of something like the 'theatre mode' that we already have in the series.
The announcement you linked to was specifically for the NA release, the game was announced in Japan at the Tokyo Game Show 2012, which took place 9/20/2012 - 9/23/2012.
Old 09-13-13, 06:12 PM

Fair enough, but that's at one time, in the formative stages of a project, contemplating something - then deciding against it to narrow the project's scope. It's certainly not the same thing as pulling a game from a collection so it wouldn't be delayed.
Old 09-13-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Fair enough, but that's at one time, in the formative stages of a project, contemplating something - then deciding against it to narrow the project's scope. It's certainly not the same thing as pulling a game from a collection so it wouldn't be delayed.
But the reason they give for "narrowing the scope" is specifically for time reasons. Are you happy with that narrowed scope, so that the game could come out when it did, or would you rather they have bothered to actually update it as a playable game?
Old 12-12-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon updated my pre-order date to February 4th, 2014.
Old 12-12-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Fable Anniversary Dated, First Edition Bonus Items Revealed

Lionhead has announced that Fable Anniversary will be heading to Xbox 360 in early February 2014, bringing with it a bunch of bonus items bundled with first edition copies of the game.

Each limited run first edition copy of Fable Anniversary will come packaged in an embossed slip-case, with the following additional content - including Scthe's attire - bundled as a download code:

Scythe’s Outfit
Black Graduate Outfit
Red Prophet Outfit
Blue Guard Outfit
Red Guard Outfit
Lute Weapon
Will User’s Sceptre Weapon

There's also a 10th anniversary Lionhead Avatar helmet, which is an actual lion's head you can plonk on your Xbox Live Avatar's bonce. To ensure a copy of the limited first run of Fable Anniversary, Lionhead recommends pre-ordering the game. Fable Anniversary is out on February 4th in North America, February 6th in Asia and February 7th in Europe.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...-Revealed.html
Old 01-07-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Fable Anniversary Art Director Details Remake's Graphical Improvements

Fable Anniversary art director James Vale has been showing off some of the graphical improvements we can expect in the upcoming remake.

"Obviously, it's 10 years ago since the original box version was released," wrote Vale in a post on the Fable forums before Christmas, "and technology has moved on an awful lot in those years, so you'll see many improvements.

“We have used Unreal 3 for the rendering side which has much improved Lighting, Materials and Effects than the original Fable engine, some of which I will go into when looking at the images below.”

First up was the boy hero standing in his home in Oakvale.

Among the improvements visible in the image, according to Vale, are:
  • Screen size. Fable Anniversary expands the aspect ratio into widescreen.
  • Upped polygon count for all the in-game models, improving edges and silhouettes.
  • Larger, higher resolution textures.
  • Improved distinction between material types. “It’s clear in the image that the glass in the windows and the boys belt buckles have a strong specular value set which give them a much shinier appearance, making them look and feel much lore like the materials they are supposed to be.”
  • Special textures used to add extra bump detail. “These can be seen working clearly in the weave of the rug and the creases in the bed at the back of the room.”
  • Improved lighting. “Notice the candle creating a pool of light at the back of the room above the bed.”
  • Dynamic shadow casting added to several key light sources, including the interior fireplaces. “You can see the long shadows of the Boy and the chair being cast across the floor.”

Next up was an exterior shot from Greatwood Lake.

Vale notes:
  • Higher polygon count to create smoother models and larger textures.
  • “The shine on the Hero’s chainmail armour and the duller shine on the Leather Arrow Quiver on the Hero’s back really help distinguish the difference between the metal and leather material types”.
  • Oak trees given a more lush, fuller look. Close up, bark is more detailed.
  • Improved, more realistic water.
  • Added detail to the rock and cliffs around the levels.
  • Longer draw distance. “You can see that the bridge on the left in the distance is not visible in the original and there are also trees not visible on the horizon. All these assets are visible in Anniversary at this distance.”
  • “We also re-worked and added extra detail to many of the particle effects to give them a more dramatic and/or HD look. This can be seen in the blue weapon augmentation effect seen in the image.”
  • Vale concluded, “As you can see there have been loads of changes to improve the visual quality of the game, and we really can't wait for you to get hands on.”

Fable Anniversary is out on 4th February in North America and Europe on 6th February.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...rovements.html
Old 01-07-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep forgetting that this is a thing.
Old 01-07-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Is this really worth the money, time and effort they are putting into this? I enjoyed the game when it came out but are people really clamoring for this? Does the franchise currently have a huge following that I am not aware of? I understood the visiting of Halo but this one surprises me.
Old 01-07-14, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I doubt there's much of a market for a barely-remembered ten-year old, short RPG. Most of these HD trilogies barely sell at all. How well will a single remastered game sell on an outdated console for $39.99? Not great probably. I might pick it up at $20 though (every remaster this gen dropped to that magic number pretty quickly - even Halo).
Old 01-07-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

I really wanted to play this again because I loved the first one but not until it's under $20 for sure, and that's if I even still own a 360 by then.
Old 01-15-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Digital trilogy version: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d8024d530aa2

Comes with the HD remake, Fable 2 and Fable 3. No price listed, will probably be $60.
Old 02-05-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was released yesterday. I bought it. It sucks.
Old 02-05-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews are basically saying it plays the same as the original game but with better graphics.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/...versary-review
Fable Anniversary gently retouches Lionhead’s original action-RPG without doing unspeakable violence to its memory. Fable Anniversary is a reminder of the things that established one of the Xbox’s most recognisable franchises - its lovely art, silly personality and playful attitude to good and evil. It doesn’t play like it was made yesterday, but this is a good adaptation, even if a few annoyingly anachronistic features remain.
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/fa...ry_review.html
Anniversary's loyalty to its namesake is often its most admirable strength, but consistently its biggest flaw. While it retains the mechanics and structures Lionhead established in 2004, it also leaves intact its most noticeable problems.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-fa...y-269734.phtml
By and large this is the exact same Fable you played back in 2004 with a new coat of paint. The voicework and dialog are the same, the story is the exact same, and gameplay-wise, it's pretty much identical barring [an optional] control scheme update.
69 Score on Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...le-anniversary
Old 02-05-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
This was released yesterday. I bought it. It sucks.
Well that solves that.
Old 02-05-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never played the original, but the framerate issues on this are inexcusable. It gives me a headache. The only other game I've played that had a framerate problem this bad was Two Worlds.
Old 02-05-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I never played the original, but the framerate issues on this are inexcusable. It gives me a headache. The only other game I've played that had a framerate problem this bad was Two Worlds.
A number of reviews mention the framerate:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...lack-of-Blades
There's something to be said for preserving the purity of a game's original state, but after having to reload multiple checkpoints in multiple quests due to otherwise unsolvable bugs, and having my eyes struggle with a number of physics and framerate problems, I can safely say there's a point where faithfulness can safely be ditched. As far as I can tell, Anniversary doesn't introduce any new problems, but the experience would have been improved tremendously by the removal of old ones.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...versary-review
As ever, Lionhead's artists are better than its technicians. The frame-rate chugs in places, and while glitches are infrequent, you may occasionally see characters leaning back at 45-degree angles when addressing you.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/fable-anniversary
Unfortunately, however, all of the hard work the studio has invested in improving the game's presentation is marred by a bevy of technical issues. The consistently bad frame-rate is incredibly distracting, making Fable Anniversary feel clunky and unwieldy far too often.
Old 02-05-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well is sucks since they delayed this from last year and sounds like they still didn't address all of the issues.
Old 06-04-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So this is one of the deal of the day items at Best Buy today for $19.99. I played a little of the original Xbox version, but never finished it. Is it worth picking it up for that price? Did they fix any of the framerate issues?
Old 07-11-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who never picked this up, the Fable Trilogy pack that includes Anniversary and the other two games in the franchise will be $14.99 for the next three or four days (the duration of the Ultimate Game sale). Fable 2 is pictured as one of the slated backwards-compatible games for the Xbox One (here), so it'd be reasonable to assume that the rest will eventually be playable there, too.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d8024d530aa2
Old 07-12-15, 10:55 PM

Tried to buy it online and was stunned to discover that they still haven't fixed things to allow you to buy 360 games with funds already in your virtual wallet. Amazing.
When your online store makes the PSN store look absolutely progressive by comparison, there's something very, very wrong. Either that, or you're Nintendo.
Old 02-24-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got a chance to play through this one and wasn't that impressed. It had some good humor, but that was about it. The combat was lacking, the spells were pretty boring and the enemies were cheap and respawned every time you returned to an area. Took me around 15 hours to finish but I'm glad I did because I've been holding off on playing Fable 2. So hopefully the wait is worth it.
Old 02-25-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Still makes no sense that they made Fable 2 & 3 backwards compatible but not this one. It's a Microsoft published game for fucks sake. I really liked 2 back when it came out but I never played the other one's.
Old 02-27-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny this thread was bumped because this weekend I was hooking up my old Xbox to my tv in my movie room upstairs and the original was one of the games I tried. I would certainly not say it was unplayable (though I do need to find a "newish" controller), but if this wasn't a case for making the Anniversary HD remake a BC game, I don't know what is. It felt bland and small, and I'm sure if I had played it 30 more minutes, the gameplay would have taken over but first (or new first) impressions mean a lot. The fact is that the Remake is not BC, is just criminal at this point. It's one of the top 3 (at least to me) that's left in the BC world to bring over. (other two being L.A. Noire and the Darkness two-fer)
Old 02-16-24, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Not sure if I should take the plunge for ten bucks on steam. Never played it. Have seen videos and I'm still wondering why it was a phenomenon vs just a good game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.