Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dying Indie Developer seeks crowd funding

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dying Indie Developer seeks crowd funding

Well, every aspect of this story is just terrible.
Old 05-14-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not going to end well for him / her.
Old 05-14-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, that sucks. As bad as it is to scam and lie to people, she's clearly got some other mental issues going on. Heck, everything she told the Destructoid guy could be some lie too.
Old 05-14-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

hey, look at that. it was all a sham. all you noodniks who thought it was legit, get back in here and eat some crow.

clearly this person needs help.
Old 05-14-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wow, that sucks. As bad as it is to scam and lie to people, she's clearly got some other mental issues going on. Heck, everything she told the Destructoid guy could be some lie too.
I'm not sure who would use "I'm transgender" as a cover story. Regardless, Pensof claims to have also talked to one of her teachers, so he didn't get the story just from her.
Old 05-14-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A compulsive liar wanting attention and pity.
Old 05-14-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
A compulsive liar wanting attention and pity.
Well, she's identified as female online since at least 2009 according to this page:
http://www.create-games.com/profile.asp?id=30777

While apparently she still identifies as male in the real world, for school and such, so if it's a lie, it's one she's committed to.

Wikipedia now has an article about her and this incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_Sagal
Old 05-14-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

who gives a shit what s/he identifies as? s/he lied to everyone about needing a medically necessary surgery. it's a sham and people like that should be charged criminally.
Old 05-14-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
hey, look at that. it was all a sham. all you noodniks who thought it was legit, get back in here and eat some crow.

clearly this person needs help.
Clearly, that was obvious regardless of it being truth or fiction. And the fact that she (which I assume is what the subject ultimately wants to be) wants transgender surgery only further proves that. Almost anybody who is in a transgender situation whether because of medical or mental reasons has issues going on upstairs because of the way the average person treats transgender people. The amount of racial hatred, bias, bigotry towards minorities or even just gay folks is nowhere near what a transgender gets. They are treated as freaks of nature, like they have some disease, its actually quite disgusting.

Anyway, I gave my $20 bucks and got it back through refund. If Chloe had been truthful and said she needed it for SRS, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all and still gave. I don't regret it, but I do wish she had been upfront about it.
Old 05-14-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't stop believing.
Old 05-14-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Clearly, that was obvious regardless of it being truth or fiction. And the fact that she (which I assume is what the subject ultimately wants to be) wants transgender surgery only further proves that. Almost anybody who is in a transgender situation whether because of medical or mental reasons has issues going on upstairs because of the way the average person treats transgender people. The amount of racial hatred, bias, bigotry towards minorities or even just gay folks is nowhere near what a transgender gets. They are treated as freaks of nature, like they have some disease, its actually quite disgusting.

Anyway, I gave my $20 bucks and got it back through refund. If Chloe had been truthful and said she needed it for SRS, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all and still gave. I don't regret it, but I do wish she had been upfront about it.
And that's fine. If s/he wants to solicit donations for the surgery on that basis, I have no problem with it. More power to people like that. But when you start posting shady shit about how you are dying and need some necessary surgery to live, that's fucking straight up fraud.
Old 05-14-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And that's fine. If s/he wants to solicit donations for the surgery on that basis, I have no problem with it. More power to people like that. But when you start posting shady shit about how you are dying and need some necessary surgery to live, that's fucking straight up fraud.
I agree with you. It's fraud unfortunately no matter how you slice it and she should be prosecuted. She clearly should be put in a mental hospital somewhere, but honestly I think she wouldn't make it (and most mental hospitals are not equipped for that special kind of case). It sucks, but unless there is a miracle out there for her, I'm pretty sure she's going to take her own life just to try and make herself some kind of martyr.
Old 05-14-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think fraud charges are necessary, or possibly even legally applicable, since the crowdfunder was closed and everyone got their money back. From a legal standpoint, likely the most she could be charged with is attempted fraud.
Old 05-14-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I apologize for giving a shit. Sorry I gave a shit everyone! Please forgive me!
Old 05-14-13, 02:48 PM

i never got my money back, i used paypal
Old 05-14-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Wow, I'm just reading up on this now. Sad, but not surprising. It does make me feel good that some people on this site were kind and generous enough to donate their hard-earned money to someone they'd never met or even heard of for what they felt was a life-saving procedure. It's nice to know that there are such good-hearted people, not just in the world, but in this forum specifically.

But I'd be lying if I didn't also add that I do feel a little vindicated that it was such a fraudulent claim. I'm no trauma surgeon, but as a physician I'd like to think I can at least sniff out a preposterous medical claim when I read one, and that one seemed impossible on several different levels.
Old 05-14-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sirgey
At least one other user had to submit a paypal claim to get their money back, but they got it:
Originally Posted by Kedrix
Welp, just for the few folks who did contribute...it took a paypal claim but I got my $20 back. It was resolved fairly quickly too, just a couple of days. Might as well, since the person isn't getting the money anyway.
Old 05-14-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirgey
Same here.
Old 05-14-13, 04:08 PM
Banned

This is really sad; if you have the means to save your child from death, you should do so, regardless of whether you agree with their choices.
Old 05-14-13, 04:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I love it when people only read the first post in a long thread before replying.
Old 05-14-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Doesn't she realize that there are far more effective, honest, respectable ways to go about getting the funding required for a sexual reassignment surgery?

Spoiler:
Old 05-14-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I love it when people only read the first post in a long thread before replying.
Testify!
Old 05-14-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 05-15-13, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

This is really sad; if you have the means to read an entire thread, you should do so, regardless of whether you agree with others' choices not to.
Old 05-16-13, 01:06 PM

Hi there,
Thanks for your patience as we work through this matter.
Contributions made through Indiegogo are typically final and nonrefundable by Indiegogo. Please see our Refund Policy here: http://support.indiegogo.com/entries/21081743-refunds
Because contributions made through Indiegogo are transactions that take place between the campaign owner, contributor, and payment processor, refunds are normally the responsibility of the campaign owner (http://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms)
That said, in this instance we have been diligently working with PayPal to attempt to have contributions made to this campaign refunded in PayPal. However, PayPal was only able to reverse the contributions up to the amount that was in the PayPal account of the campaign owner. As such, unfortunately, your contribution was not able to be reversed.
That said, because this was not able to be reversed on our end, if you are interested in moving forward with this, you may want to consider PayPal's Resolution Center, here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...lution-outside
If you are looking to pursue this with your credit card/bank, we would encourage you to contact them, as we are unable to advise on these matters. Your bank or credit card will have more information on their processes in this instances.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience in this matter. Thank you for your understanding, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Amber
Customer Happiness

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.