Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which console do you think won this generation?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Which console do you think won this generation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Re: Which console do you think won this generation?

What does worldwide success have to do with how much you enjoyed a console?
Old 03-26-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts

Because of the lack of support, 360 never really had any memorable JRPGs or other niche Japanese titles, which is what I play most of.
Old 03-26-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

360 would be #5 on my top 5.
Old 03-26-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Because of the lack of support, 360 never really had any memorable JRPGs or other niche Japanese titles, which is what I play most of.
It's funny because in the first couple years of existence it seemed like Microsoft was trying hard to appeal to that with Mistwalker Studios and titles like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but never took off.
Old 03-26-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
I think that Microsoft probably "won" this generation the way it was able to take such a commanding lead in the HD console race, which helped it to develop a large and possibly dedicated fan base. Of course, Nintendo surprised everyone by selling nearly 100 million Wii consoles (and will likely move past the 100 million units sold mark soon), though unfortunately for Nintendo that doesn't seem to have helped with the Wii U. And while the PS3 seems to have caught up with the Xbox 360 when it comes to systems sold, I think that it is the big loser this time around. While, of course, over 75 million units sold is quite an achievement, when looking at the PlayStation brand as a whole, the original PS sold over 100 million units, and the PS2 sold over 150 million units, and it looks like the PS3 will be the first PS system to not cross the 100 million units sold mark, which has to be troubling for Sony, considering it is the only console manufacturer this generation that didn't increase the number of systems sold compared to the previous generation of systems. According to most online sources for systems sold, Microsoft sold 24 million original Xbox units in the last generation, and sold over 76 million Xbox 360 units this generation. Nintendo went from having sold only about 22 million GameCube units in the previous generation to nearly 100 million this generation. However, when it comes to Sony, considering that the PS2 sold over 150 million units, and the PS3 sold over 75 million units, that means that in one console generation Sony has "lost" half of its fan base.
Your math is a little iffy. Ps2 sold that many consoles thanks to a very long console life. They just stopped manufacturing them this year (12+ years). Sony's track record shows that they will continue to support the PS3 for the next few years and continue dropping the price to keep sales moving forward. probably another 4-6 years as Sony has pushed the concept of the 10 year console. Ps2 also had a 6 month head start on the Gamecube and almost 18 months on the Xbox. Sony's sales were soo high compared to the other systems in the past generation that they could not realisticly match that sales mark. No matter how you wanna look at it Microsoft abandoned the XBox to get a jump on Sony for XBox 360 which was a brilliant move on their part. Microsoft had a 1year head start this generation and has dominated the North american marketplace however Sony has still been able to catch up in sales. Saying Sony lost half their fanbase when the PS3 still has time and the will to make sales is incorrect.
Old 03-26-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's funny because in the first couple years of existence it seemed like Microsoft was trying hard to appeal to that with Mistwalker Studios and titles like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but never took off.
Yeah, it was promising at first but it didn't last long. I played both of those; both were good games but neither offered up anything new. I don't have any interest in going back to either and I honestly don't even remember much about the stories. The most memorable thing about LO was the pre-release videos showing off some battle sequences.
Old 03-26-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mainly because since Japan (Japanese gamers) doesn't give a shit about the 360, Japanese devs don't give a shit about the 360. Japanese devs that develop JRPGs and other niche titles.
Old 03-26-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

This discussion has been all over the place with different people talking about what seem to be different things. Best console, favorite console and winner of a generation are all very different things IMHO, with the first two of the three being fairly subjective. For best, it'd be hard for me to say the 360 isn't at the top simply due to it representing the culmination of gaming technology to date. Nostalgia's great, but should really only affect favorite console. The SNES would edge out the 360 for me, but it'd be close. Winner of this generation is easily the Wii for the reasons I've already stated, as it's much easier to objectively look at sales, profit margins and performance vs expectations to determine a winner. And I say that with the Wii being my least favorite of this generation and probably being my least favorite Nintendo console, now that things are all said and done.
Old 03-26-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wii. Most didn't take it seriously when it was announced. I remember reading about the remote control being held like a wand and such and thought it sounded neat and when it was released, proved to be pretty cool and fun indeed. The other two bigger and more expensive units had to play catch up on the little guy.
Old 03-26-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That poll looks like it was completed by soccer moms and grade schoolers.
Old 03-26-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Winner of this generation is easily the Wii for the reasons I've already stated, as it's much easier to objectively look at sales, profit margins and performance vs expectations to determine a winner.
Obviously. Nintendo went from "they should just go the way of Sega" last to first with a bullet. Sony went from "blowing everyone out of the water" first to last.

That doesn't make for much of a discussion though.
Old 03-26-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

My Top 10 List is based only on consoles I actually owned and my personal feelings, memories, enjoyment of it and referencing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._game_consoles

I could give 2 shits about the rest of the world.

1. Xbox 360
2. Playstation 3
3. Playstation
4. Playstation 2
5. Sega Genesis II
6. Atari 2600
7. NES
8. N64
9. Sega Saturn
10. Xbox

Honorable Mentions:

Commodore 64 (while not a "console" I used it as such)

Game Boy - never owned one, but did borrow one and played many hours on it, mostly if not all, Tetris.

Other systems owned but not on Top 10:

Dreamcast (it died too soon)
Game Cube
Wii

"add-ons":
32X
Sega CD

Last edited by Music; 03-26-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cruzness
Saying Sony lost half their fanbase when the PS3 still has time and the will to make sales is incorrect.
Eh, once PS4 and 360Next launch this gen is pretty much over. How the PS3 & 360 crawl to the grave doesn't matter. They lost half their fan base when it mattered most. Cheapasses buying $99 systems(and building a used game library) 5 years after it was relevant isn't a "fan." Sure it adds to the bottom line but it won't change overall perception of how this gen played out.
Old 03-26-13, 06:34 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Top 5 all time? I wouldn't be able to put it up there mainly due to its lack of worldwide support/success. My top 5 list would have SNES, PS1, PS2, DS, & GBA(SP specifically); not particularly in that order.
Xbox 360 is meh and has no worthwhile exclusives just rehashes from 2006 and earlier. Both the main consoles this gen didnt have nearly the number that previous gens did, but ps3 wins for actually taking risks with new IPs and being offering a better variety of titles. Microsoft is content with sitting on their cash cows, Gears and Halo, for years to come. There's nothing wrong with that from a business perspective, but from my perspective it sucks. I like your top consoles list but I wouldn't put DS up there. Sub in NES or Dreamcast (yeah I said it, Dreamcast had an incredible 2 year run)

Last edited by atrium; 03-26-13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

WTF? meh? rehashes from 2006 and earlier??

Old 03-26-13, 07:01 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
WTF? meh? rehashes from 2006 and earlier??

What I'm saying is I can't think of any worthwhile new IPs they've done since Gears in 2006.

And I don't think they care to create new ones either as long as the stale franchises continue to sell to the masses