Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which console do you think won this generation?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 04:28 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

If console war threads aren't allowed, feel free to can this thread.

I'm going to go with the PS3 because I think it delivered the all-around package: blu-ray player, free online, strong exclusives and all of the multiplats. While it got off to a slow start, the later years made it emerge as the best console of the three. The multiplats covered a variety of genres, and many of them were very creative.

Reasons why I don't think the other two won:

Wii, pretty self explanatory. They delivered great first-party games as usual, but their technology focus alienated them from so much third-party support that if you only bought a Wii, you missed out on a ton of great multiplats.

360, pay to play online for one. It has all the multiplats, and on average the superior versions of them, but their exclusives are not up to snuff. Not unless you really love being an elite cyber marine who has to hunt down aliens... over and over and over again.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-17-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which console do you think won this generation?

I own all three systems and have had a great time with all of them. The Wii got a whole lot of use playing party games and the first party games were some of the best of this gen. I had no problem having a PS3 around since it is also a bluray player, and a lot of my friends that casually play have a PS3. The 360 has also been great this generation, and I got in with a pretty hardcore group of people that meet up a few times a week. I actually own 2 copies of the same games, mainly COD, because I like playing with both friend groups. It's been a great generation for gaming, one of my favorites.
Old 03-17-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I have all 3, the Wii loses, the 360 wins, the PS3 got middle ground.

The controller and online capabilities of the 360 won me over. The PS3 was fine as well but I still hate the controller. The exclusive titles didn't overly impress me on the PS3 outside of Uncharted 2, ie - the love spewed for Journey was borderline laughable to me.

The Wii, imo, had the best overall exclusive titles but something just never sat right with me on the system.
Old 03-17-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ibtl
Old 03-17-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a bunch of different criteria people can use for this, but overall I'd pick the 360 although its pretty close. From a business perspective they firmly established the XBox brand (domestically anyway) to go with strong sales, and managed to maintain public and casual interest with the Kinect, and even though its paid I feel like XBox Live is what made multiplayer gaming as popular as it is now. Plus I feel like they have the best controller ever for a console, and brought in the world of achievements and led the way maturing online titles via XBox Live Arcade. PS3 has the more interesting and creative exclusives, but the 360's big titles haven't disappointed.

If I had purchased a PS3 first I might have felt differently, otherwise it felt like a lot of their features added were playing catch up to Microsoft. For the Wii, I just don't care for it at all despite having one a couple weeks after launch. I got over the gimmicky nature of the controls a few months in, and never felt the need to go back to it.
Old 03-17-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 03-17-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have all 3 and for me the 360, then the Wii, and then the PS3.
Old 03-17-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, it's a toss-up between the Wii and the 360 for different reasons.

There's a reason the Wii sold close to 100M units as it was the first gaming console in years that anybody could pick up and run with. The games didn't appeal to gamers, they appealed to everyone. Your grandparents could now own a gaming console and actually understand how to use it. There's reasons why Microsoft and Sony both stole the best and worst parts of the console to apply in 360 and PS3 hardware and software updates. Wii's lack of advanced hardware was made up by solid first-party titles.

In terms of moving us into the next generation? The 360. The original Xbox set the standard for multiplayer and connectivity, the 360 surpassed and raised the bar. The 360 also has, hands down, the best controller out of any console generation. We might've all had to deal with the RROD, but at least Microsoft owned up to the problem and fixed it with the second revision of the machine.

The loser? The PS3. Controller and games aside, Sony dropped the ball with the PSN debacle.
Old 03-17-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I have all 3... I actually have 3 PS3's but I mostly play the 360 -- like 95% of the time. So the 360 is my choice.
Old 03-17-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Obligatory wii gathers dust post
Old 03-17-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

no poll = you are a poopy head.

360 > PS3 > Wii
Old 03-17-13, 06:39 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
To be fair, it's a toss-up between the Wii and the 360 for different reasons.

There's a reason the Wii sold close to 100M units as it was the first gaming console in years that anybody could pick up and run with. The games didn't appeal to gamers, they appealed to everyone. Your grandparents could now own a gaming console and actually understand how to use it. There's reasons why Microsoft and Sony both stole the best and worst parts of the console to apply in 360 and PS3 hardware and software updates. Wii's lack of advanced hardware was made up by solid first-party titles.

In terms of moving us into the next generation? The 360. The original Xbox set the standard for multiplayer and connectivity, the 360 surpassed and raised the bar. The 360 also has, hands down, the best controller out of any console generation. We might've all had to deal with the RROD, but at least Microsoft owned up to the problem and fixed it with the second revision of the machine.

The loser? The PS3. Controller and games aside, Sony dropped the ball with the PSN debacle.
Thing is, 360 may have set the standard for how video gaming is today, but imo that has only served as a negative.

Online-centric, DLC, map packs? Short campaigns justified by a multiplayer component? Oversaturation of FPS's and military shooters? Mostly Microsoft's doing.

But I understand I'm in the minority with that opinion.
Old 03-17-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

The Wii won this generation handily from just about any objective perspective. It was my least favorite of the three consoles though.
Old 03-17-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I imagine that from a pure numbers perspective, it's: (1) Wii (2) 360 (3) PS3

My personally feeling, having all three however, is: (1) 360 (2) Wii (3) PS3
Old 03-17-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wii won, for me. Just a lot of fun and a good variety of titles. My 360 hasn't been hooked up for months, unfortunately. I'm not even sure why I still buy games for it. There's still a lot of things that I would like to grab from XBLA; but I'm waiting to hear if any of that will be able to transfer over to the new xbox.
Old 03-17-13, 07:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

In my house, the 360 wins. I barely touched the Wii, and the PS3 ended up as a secondary Blu-ray player since I just got sick of the excessive system and game updates, not to mention the mandatory game installs. Too much BS for very little benefit.

That said, PS3 probably wins this generation for pretty much catching up to the others in sales. 360 had a year long lead, and Wii dominated for what seems like forever, but PS3 didn't do terribly, all things considered. I thought I read that world wide sales were equal to or ahead of the 360. Not sure how accurate that is...
Old 03-17-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The 360 is pretty much the only console I play games on while the PS3 is used 90% of the time as a Blu Ray player and the Wii is only used by my kids. Like most people I upgraded from a PS2 and since the 360 came out first I was so used to its controller and interface by the time the PS3 arrived that I never really bothered to game on the 3 except for a few exclusives. And seeing as how the next gen PS will have the a very similar controller I don't see myself switching back any time soon.
Old 03-17-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I'd say the 360 takes the lead. Though the PS3 came on late and I thought MS's interest in the Kinect was a major mistake. Also the PS3 won the HD format war for Sony, so that's actually probably the more important win for the company.

The Wii might have sold the most units, but sale of non-Nintendo published software titles have been in the toilet for over five years now, and the Wii branding is so toxic that the Wii-U is struggling mightily despite being the newest console. No way you can really conclude they won.
Old 03-17-13, 08:18 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Decker
I'd say the 360 takes the lead. Though the PS3 came on late and I thought MS's interest in the Kinect was a major mistake. Also the PS3 won the HD format war for Sony, so that's actually probably the more important win for the company.

The Wii might have sold the most units, but sale of non-Nintendo published software titles have been in the toilet for over five years now, and the Wii branding is so toxic that the Wii-U is struggling mightily despite being the newest console. No way you can really conclude they won.
I agree completely with your Nintendo analysis. The novelty of the Wii interested some people at first but I think Nintendo learned a lesson that sure you can go for the casual market and prompt their interest for a while, but they don't live and die by the controller like a hardcore gamer does. Now the Wii U is suffering greatly because casuals either lost interest or haven't heard of it due to crappy marketing
Old 03-17-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

1. 360
2. PS3
3. Wii
Old 03-17-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Flawed logic. The 3DS wasn't a runaway success and it wasn't blamed on the DS brand being toxic. And in a recent survey, Nintendo came out on top for customer satisfaction, even beating out apple.

Old 03-17-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, PS3 is the winner by far. Best exclusives. PS+ is actually worth $50 a year. Between Blu-ray, Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Sunday Ticket, etc., it really is the center of my home entertainment system, and the primary reason I'm dumping cable.

360 - The only exclusives I really liked was Left4Dead and Crackdown. My console (old one with no HDMI) red ringed a while ago, and I haven't bothered (and won't) to get a new one.

Wii - Bought it, sold it. When it dropped in price, bought it again. Then sold it again.
Old 03-17-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

360 easy. I barely play my PS3. I sold my Wii.
Old 03-18-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only correct answer is "not the PS3"
Old 03-18-13, 01:28 AM

I couldn't imagine choosing a system where I couldn't play exclusives like Uncharted 1, 2 & 3, Disgaea 3 & 4, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Tomb Raider Trilogy, God of War Saga, Heavy Rain, Jak & Daxter Collection, Demon's Souls, Little Big Planet 1 & 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Ni No Kuni, etc. Therefore I have to go with the PS3.

It depends on what you want out of a system. To me it's all about the games and being able to watch movies. I don't care about multiplayer on a console.

I've always loved the PS3 controller too. There's a reason they haven't changed the controller much from PS1 to PS2 to PS3 (and soon PS4).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.