Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

I will own a PS4 next year. Nothing that tickles my fancy right now.
Old 06-14-14, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like a code if anyone has one
Old 06-14-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewc
Would like a code if anyone has one
PM sent
Old 06-14-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Amazon sent me an alpha code for this game for PS4. Since I don't have a PS4, it is worthless to me. Anyone want it? If so, you must be a REGULAR contributor to this forum. Not some random lurker. My judgment as to if you will get it. Just quote my post for it.
nobody quoted your post?? still have it?

amazon hates me. apparently.
Old 06-14-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Amazon sent me my code this morning (or last night, and I got it this morning). Anyways, it's downloading now, and I should be able to play in a few hours.
Is it multiplayer only? If so, my PSN handle is slop10101.
Old 06-14-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
nobody quoted your post?? still have it?

amazon hates me. apparently.
nope. it's gone. sorry. you were about 30 minutes too late.
Old 06-14-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if there's a deadline for entering the code? I won't be able to use it until July 4th.
Old 06-14-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@ redcat,

The alpha ends tomorrow night.

Might as well give the code away.
Old 06-14-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
For those not in the Alpha... It's a damn fun game.

I played the campaign for a bit before moving onto the Tower and then to MP. The campaign is almost a Borderlands rip-off it's so similar, right down to Bounty Boards for side missions. The Tower is basically Sanctuary. It even has storage vaults fo keep your favorite weapons, items & armor. Gotta go here to buy anything which is annoying since you have to sit through a loading screen to get there.

MP plays a bit faster than Halo, but not quite CoD speed which I like. 6v6 is a nice size team for the map sizes.

The score is astounding. The visuals in the campaign are damn good but kinda... average? in MP. It looks good, just nothing that's gonna knock anyone's socks off.
I only played the very first mission the game dumped me in, but the feeling I got from it was Borderlands without cel shading and less humor. The enemies had level numbers, the powers seemed like something out of that game too. Haven't done much yet, but Borderlands isn't a bad game to be influenced by.
Old 06-14-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I bet they extend it. It's father's day weekend. Poor planning right there.

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Interesting approach they have taken to marketing the game. Just over the past couple of weeks everyone was beginning to complain that Bungie hadn't shown enough or shared enough details for a game this close to release and people were !OUTRAGED! about it and it was a sign that the game was surely going to suck balls.
I think you're exaggerating a bit. There's only been a few people with that mindset in here. Of those I wonder how many are Sony fans that weren't on the Halo train? It's Bungie. They have given me no reason to doubt them. The final product may not have a "10 years of doing the same game" level of polish but I have no doubt it will be a solid experience.
Old 06-14-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

DVDTalk user Match is my personal hero!!

Last edited by JTH182; 06-14-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Damn, people have extra codes? I would LOVE one if someone would be cool enough to PM me one
Check your PM.
Old 06-14-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That first spider mech is fucking tough as hell. I think we spent like 20 minutes chipping away at his life before he finally died.
Old 06-14-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yet another game I'm not impressed with (granted I did only play SP/story) .... urghh

looks like my Sept 9th will be spent playing NHL 15

The Order and Uncharted 4 are going to be a long wait

Last edited by musick; 06-14-14 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think you're exaggerating a bit. There's only been a few people with that mindset in here. Of those I wonder how many are Sony fans that weren't on the Halo train? It's Bungie. They have given me no reason to doubt them. The final product may not have a "10 years of doing the same game" level of polish but I have no doubt it will be a solid experience.
I wasn't necessarily talking about here. I was talking about the internet at large. There's been plenty of "WHY IS BUNGIE HIDING DESTINY?!" hysteria over the past few weeks.
Old 06-14-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I played enough to make me want to keep my preorder. I'm good
Old 06-14-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I only played the very first mission the game dumped me in, but the feeling I got from it was Borderlands without cel shading and less humor.
I'd agree, though I'd say it felt like a cross between Borderlands and Halo - although without the things that made those games special; Borderlands' unlimited gun types and humor, and Halo's story and settings.

But Destiny does play very well, and looks really nice. And this may be due to it being an alpha, but, playing even for just a couple hours, I got a little bored with it as it felt very same-y, even compared to other shooters.
Old 06-15-14, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it now required that all next gen games now include a giant mech spider?

soent a bunch if time killing the spider by myself and was rewarded with nothing, not even a playable path beyond it
Old 06-15-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
I'd agree, though I'd say it felt like a cross between Borderlands and Halo - although without the things that made those games special; Borderlands' unlimited gun types and humor, and Halo's story and settings.

But Destiny does play very well, and looks really nice. And this may be due to it being an alpha, but, playing even for just a couple hours, I got a little bored with it as it felt very same-y, even compared to other shooters.
Well, they didn't give you much to do in the Alpha. I think there's only 2 maps for MP, and they're both capture mode. At least that's all I got.

The campaign was interesting. I actually kind of like the idea of just dropping into a world with a bunch of other players, as it does give everything a larger sense of scope.

But other than that, it feels like any other FPS. Some of the powers are a bit overpowered, I felt like I was competing against the guy from InFamous whenever I got killed by a guy flying in with his fist drop.

I doubt I'll pick it up, but it's not too bad.
Old 06-15-14, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by musick
is it now required that all next gen games now include a giant mech spider?

soent a bunch if time killing the spider by myself and was rewarded with nothing, not even a playable path beyond it
Hmmmm you must have killed the one that comes up as an optional mission. There's a another one (even more powerful) that is part of an actual campaign mission where you face it pretty late in the mission, but it's not the final boss. There's a continued path and the mission keeps rolling to the final boss (who is much easier than the spider).
Old 06-15-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheKing
Hmmmm you must have killed the one that comes up as an optional mission. There's a another one (even more powerful) that is part of an actual campaign mission where you face it pretty late in the mission, but it's not the final boss. There's a continued path and the mission keeps rolling to the final boss (who is much easier than the spider).
Easier, but still pretty tough. I think they need to tone done both of those, and hell, even the three waves while the ghost is hacking.
Old 06-15-14, 08:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Is this alpha PS4 only so far? I got the preorder beta code from Amazon, tied it to my bungie/xbox account, but no invites or details on an alpha.
Old 06-15-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Alpha is PS4 only.
Old 06-15-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Played a great deal yesterday...almost 5-6 hours. Couldn't put it down. For an "Alpha"...it's been relly impressive on what they've given everyone to play with. I've read other forums and it amazes me the amount of tiny criticism...it's an ALPHA! I heard one last night they shopuld've released more maps.

Having played all Borderlands, all Halo games along with Mass Effect and Definance it's easy to see bit & parts of each while presenting something new. What I liked so far...

The Look...maps, terrain, buildings, inside, outside, small, large. Just the tiny portion of the game we're seeing makes you wonder about all the other locations we haven't seen.

Flow & Pace....you can pretty much set and dictate it as "you & team" want to. While many games present a A-to-B-to-C-to etc...system Destiny has it A with A1, A2, A3 with the mini missions within the main one. But the real gem is yours can overlap others or groups in the same area. Those who played Defiance know what I'm talking about here. It's a "Drop In & Drop Out Sandbox" system for all.

Screen...uncluttered, simple yet just enough info. I've never liked a screen with four corner icons all over like inside a cockpit of a plane. Maybe if the map was a tad bigger with brighter group icons is about the only change for me.

Normal Character + One Super Power....This is bit of toss up. I liked the powers of the Borderlands characters and how they leveled up up along with you choosing how you wanted to go with the three paths. I'd like to know how much the powers of the three characters will level up during the course of the game and choices presented to you. I don't care to have a "Zillion" Borderland off-the-wall guns but to have a form small form of Elemental with Acid & Fire Bullets?

Vendors, Menus & Options...plenty of them, simple yet several to choose from, uncluttered (again), color coded armor & weapon choices. May not have the large loot system say of Diablo III or the "Zillion Guns" in Borderalnds but it seems to have enough at the pac you level up.

Speedbike....who doesn't like to ride these?

A few Things that struck me and not a major grip but maybe fine tune it....

No Weapon Pickup....probably a first in a long line of games but no weapon pickup...curious?

Long Delay of Special Power Recharge...Chess brought this up and until you need it a lot it didn't occure to me. To long between uses

Load Times of "Destination"...could be a tad shorter but good time for a drink, snack or bathroom break?

A 'Help Becon"?...Be a neat addon for say someone doing a SP and having a hard time of it. Throwing out a 'Help Becon" can lert nearby players to assist.

Bonus Ammor Sets....In Diablo III there are Special Outfits when you get matching parts...like boots, chest, shoulders they offer extra bonus in health, ammor or damage. Be a neat thing to add in.

Can't wait for the Beta, I'm sold on the game overall. It's got a solid blend of SP & Co-op that can mesh together almost seamlessly on the battlefield that is both small and large. The missions with mini-missions blending with others and then having a major boss drop in keeps you going but at whatever pace you want.It's going to be a fun ride come September
Old 06-15-14, 08:59 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
words
very well said.

This game is fantastic. They only gave us one planet to free roam, one solo (up to 3 player) mission and one online story mission. For competitive they only gave us one game mode.

The free roam is real simple and I am not sure how that will hold up as it grows with more planets. The first story mission is also simple. That online mission though was very well done. I heard some complaints about the two boss fights but I found them very enjoyable.

Game is smooth, gunplay amazing, graphics solid.

I wish it was out already...

(oh and peter dinklage called in his voice work...I don't like it)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.