Bungie - Destiny

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by Groucho
Question:

I did a patrol mission last night and was rewarded some Vanguard Marks. Immediately afterwards I went back to town but when I arrived my Marks had disappeared. Bug? Or did I do something wrong in teleporting out immediately?
Originally Posted by Obey The D
Are you sure it wasn't vanguard rep points you were awarded instead?
I came here to ask the same question re Vanguard Marks/rep points. What's the difference?
Old 09-10-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Hey where are the shaders and symbols we unlocked? Are we supposed to find them somewhere in the Tower?

I found my LE stuff (including the same skin for Ghost three times over), but not those freebies people posted here a couple of days ago.
Old 09-10-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I came here to ask the same question re Vanguard Marks/rep points. What's the difference?
My biggest gripe with the game so far is that stuff like this isn't explained anywhere in the game, and you can't even dig anywhere to find it since there's really no in-game log or database of any kind. Last night I received a quest reward that was some type of item or currency I hadn't seen before, and I was left thinking "What is that? Where is that?" Never found it.

Originally Posted by Decker
Hey where are the shaders and symbols we unlocked? Are we supposed to find them somewhere in the Tower?

I found my LE stuff (including the same skin for Ghost three times over), but not those freebies people posted here a couple of days ago.
You have to go back to bungie.net and click "Use Now" on all of those redeemed codes to unlock the items in the game. And you have to do them one by one, which is as annoying as it sounds.
Old 09-10-14, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage

You have to go back to bungie.net and click "Use Now" on all of those redeemed codes to unlock the items in the game. And you have to do them one by one, which is as annoying as it sounds.
Wow, you're right. Thanks. That's phenomenally stupid. What would you do with them if you didn't want to "Use Now"? It's not like you can re-gift them. Hell, you can't even drop a weapon in this game.

And I still have no idea why I'd want a bunch of Grimoire Cards in my collection. Do they have any function in-game?
Old 09-10-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
It has a 6.1 on metacritic, from users. That's bad for a AAA title. Plenty of 1 star reviews on Amazon, and the first professional reviewers out of the gate have not been glowing.
Those aren't reviews from actual professional reviewers. They're user-reviews, and any asshole can make an account and stick 1-star review on there. That's not to mention user reviews on there, especially this early, are pretty much worthless.
Old 09-10-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, you're right. Thanks. That's phenomenally stupid. What would you do with them if you didn't want to "Use Now"? It's not like you can re-gift them. Hell, you can't even drop a weapon in this game.

And I still have no idea why I'd want a bunch of Grimoire Cards in my collection. Do they have any function in-game?
You can't even view them in-game, which is also stupid. You have to view them on bungie.net or the app. The in-game menus and information are shamefully bare.

There's an in-game "Grimoire score" based on the number of cards you've collected, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything.
Old 09-10-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't even view them in-game, which is also stupid. You have to view them on bungie.net or the app. The in-game menus and information are shamefully bare.

There's an in-game "Grimoire score" based on the number of cards you've collected, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything.
Of course it does! E-peen!
Old 09-10-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I don't disagree with that. But this push to know what everyone else thinks about a thing on the day that it comes out is getting to be a bit absurd. Cool your jets and wait a couple days. I'm not sure when this mentality of IT'S OUT I MUST KNOW NOW came from.

Then again if they'd had two weeks of early access to it there'd be cries of moneyhats and daggers and #gamergate and women and the like.
Exactly. Are you really going to trust a review from someone who got it that day anyway? There are dozens of hours that need to be put in for a proper review. Find a review/gaming site you like and just wait for their review.
Old 09-10-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Here's how it works I believe.

Vanguard/Crucible points are like XP. They rank you up in those categories, allowing you access to buy better guns and ammo.

Marks are the currency you buy them with. You don't start earning Marks until you reach level 18, and there's a cap of 100 Marks earned per week (which is a trophy for both Vanguard and Crucible).

And yeah, this game could have used a manual. Even the free prima guide linked earlier in this thread isn't good for the basics.

Also, I think a lot of people are disappointed with the game because they played the Alpha and Beta. Then they get the game, and it's almost exactly the same. You have to play through the same missions and maps we all did in the Beta before getting to anything new. The idea that the real game doesn't begin til you get to Rank 20 is almost an insult. Not that it's gonna take that long to get that far, as I'm already at Level 9 and haven't even played on the Moon yet.
Old 09-10-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems to me that sometime in the future there is going to be some sort of card game spin off either in game or out. Nothing to back this up other than looking at the cards they just look like some sort of collectible card game. I am probably wrong though.
Old 09-10-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I created a Titan on the One and a Warlock on the PS4.
Old 09-10-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well some folks over at Gamespot siad they finished the "story" of Destiny and took them about 16hrs but.....however didn't do any Bounties and spent very little time on the extra Vanguard and Strike Quests. Nor did any MP in the Crucible or finding the Hidden Raid missions. they didn't say if they spent time looking for the "Ghosts" or items.
Old 09-10-14, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

16 hours is a lot for a $60 single player game.
Old 09-10-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well some folks over at Gamespot siad...
Nothing following that statement is ever accurate or true.
Old 09-10-14, 06:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

16 hours without side missions, it sounds like. I spent about two hours today just on bounties, so I'm sure there's plenty of content beyond that 16 hours.
Old 09-10-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just came on to check about the vanguard rep too because I'm confused. I did the first bounty I could at level 4 (do six patrol missions) and it rewards with 50 to vanguard rep. However, I don't see anywhere where you can check the level of the vanguard rep or how close you are to leveling. I see on the inventory screen where it says Vanguard and 0, but no where to find how close I am to getting to level one. Does it just magically level up at some point?
Old 09-10-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Just came on to check about the vanguard rep too because I'm confused. I did the first bounty I could at level 4 (do six patrol missions) and it rewards with 50 to vanguard rep. However, I don't see anywhere where you can check the level of the vanguard rep or how close you are to leveling. I see on the inventory screen where it says Vanguard and 0, but no where to find how close I am to getting to level one. Does it just magically level up at some point?
You can see your level when you go to either the guardian (the one for your class) in the lower level of the Tower, or the Vanguard quartermaster in the area where you get your ship upgraded. It will tell you your vanguard level. I think Level 1 is 1500 points.
Old 09-10-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Old 09-10-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
You can see your level when you go to either the guardian (the one for your class) in the lower level of the Tower, or the Vanguard quartermaster in the area where you get your ship upgraded. It will tell you your vanguard level. I think Level 1 is 1500 points.
Thanks! I will check that out. Wow, 1500 points for one level, no wonder there's an achievement for reaching level 3.
Old 09-10-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
IGN said it took them about 18 hours. I don't see how you can't think it's not true what Gamespot said since many people are reporting similar things.
Old 09-10-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Still haven't opened my copy. Waiting for reviews.
Old 09-10-14, 10:00 PM

A bunch of early game impressions from the major sites on Metacritic.
None of them are all that enthusiastic. They seem to run the gamut from qualified praise to mild disappointment.
Old 09-10-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

A bunch of early game impressions from the major sites on Metacritic.
None of them are all that enthusiastic. They seem to run the gamut from qualified praise to mild disappointment.
I bought the game and am going to play it, but I sort of agree with the assessments. The game is a very sanitized MMO FPS. It looks great but there is nothing very compelling. I felt far more connection to a game like Borderlands than I have with this in limited play time.
Old 09-10-14, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I played Borderlands 2 and really disliked it. I'm loving Destiny. To each their own.

Also nickdawgy, why did you even buy the game if you won't play it until you see reviews? Why not just wait for the reviews and then decide if you want to buy a copy?
Old 09-11-14, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm loving it too so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.