Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Path of Exile (F2P Diablo Clone)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Path of Exile (F2P Diablo Clone)

Finally...a release date for PoE coming to the PS4..... https://www.playstationlifestyle.net...aled/#/slide/1

As previously promised, Path of Exile’s PlayStation 4 release date has been unveiled approximately two weeks ahead of launch. The action role-playing game will hit the platform later this month on March 26th. Hopefully, this new launch date will actually stick. Initially, the title was meant to release on the PS4 in December 2018. However, certification issues resulted in a delay to February 2019. A subsequent delay then pushed Path of Exile’s PS4 launch to March.

On March 26th Grinding Gear Games will also launch Path of Exile’s newest expansion on PS4, Synthesis, which has already gone live for PC and Xbox One. This update adds a whole host of new content to the action RPG. For instance, new items, gems, and a rebalance spells across the game serve as but a few examples.
Old 03-19-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Signed on on PC just before Synthesis started. Then found out it was on XBox One - vastly prefer couch play to desk play. Will likely get it on PS4 too (just like Diablo 3). Great game!
Old 03-20-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingo
Signed on on PC just before Synthesis started. Then found out it was on XBox One - vastly prefer couch play to desk play. Will likely get it on PS4 too (just like Diablo 3). Great game!

I'm going to hope that this new League is not going to give newer players on the PS4 a bit of a sour taste. I jump in on the official forums from time-to-time and seems both PC and Xbox One players are having issues...both technical in terms of frame rates and loading to just the game itself. I've got a few friends who love Diablo and have seen PoE mentioned and are wanting to give it a try on the PS4. I hope that Synthesis will not be too much and too complicated as starting out in PoE.

But I did tell them this will be like playing Diablo the first time when it came out on consoles...it was all new and lots to learn and soak in because we didn't have Console Veterans to fall back on....just read what PC Players were saying and doing. Looking forward to it....
Old 03-25-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much a updated....March 24th.... "Questions & Answers" for the PS4 Players getting this and new to PoE.... https://www.poecurrencybuy.com/news/...s-and-answered

This is preview of the game when you first get in, select character and some of the basics.....more like a First Time Tutorial.....
https://pureplaystation.com/preview-...e-ps4/2019/03/

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-25-19 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm looking to download this one Buzz based on your recommendation and the similarity with Diablo 3. I'll probably spend some time with it over the weekend.
Old 03-25-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

From everything I've read, you really NEED to read a guide on how to build your character. If you just start picking talents that sound good, you will end up with some crap that will just hit a brick wall and not be able to progress. Yes, you can respec, but it costs rare materials to do. If you fuck it up too badly, you either have to wait until the next patch, and hope that they give out full respecs, or start over.

If you haven't seen it, this is the REDONKULOUS PoE skill tree:
Spoiler:

Last edited by joeblow69; 03-25-19 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice! I will do that.
Old 03-25-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My partner and I are actually going into it "winging it" the first time, well aware that we will probably fuck it up. First char will just be the "learning how things work" guy, and we won't get serious until our second char.
Old 03-25-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joeblow69
My partner and I are actually going into it "winging it" the first time, well aware that we will probably fuck it up. First char will just be the "learning how things work" guy, and we won't get serious until our second char.
Two of us in The Division 2 right now are getting it and we were talking about when Diablo III came out on the console. I got it day one on the 360 and remember seeing the forum on just question after question...because it was all new to everyone and the only reference we had was PC Players adventures and advice and that was it...

But yea...seriously read any wiki and guides on this. Some you went from Diablo to PoE sort of summed it up like this....
With Diablo, combat & action is more fluid, there's the same areas and maps over and over, it's following a template and while you have six characters, there's really only about 5-7 builds tops.
With PoE, it's a bit rough and won't win any AAA visual titles....but every three months there's new Leagues, new bosses, new loot & items, and there's seven characters and with the skill tree there's countless builds only limited by your imagination as no two builds can be the same when you factor in items & gems alone.

Read up on any help guides on the basics. Like in Diablo, there is a limited amount in your stash and like Diablo your characters can only carry what is made for them. So...if you are playing say The Ranger and pick up stuff for The Templar....you can make a Templar Character, do the intro and get to the first Fort area and move stuff over to them...basically like in Diablo with a "Mule".

Here's a guide to the seven classes to choose from..... Path of Exile character class guide for beginners | Top Tier Tactics ? Videogame strategy guides, tips, and humor

The Classes all have a starting point different from each other in the Skill Tree. The Skill Tree pretty ,much determines your build so study it the paths and check guides.... https://www.goldkk.com/news/1294--pa...-poe-beginners

There is no in game "Gold or Coins"...everything is actual items like scrolls, items, materials which later in the game can become quite valuable and sought after...like sold for real money when some are seeking specific items for specific builds.... your gear/items come in your standard color flavors for rarity..

Your items/gear will have sockets that Gems go in. This can be confusing and highly recommend reading a guide or seeing a video. Some will have one socket or can have up to four. Sometimes two might be linked and sometimes all. When linked, you can stack what a Gem does to get extra bonuses out of it. Gems comes in different colors representing Strength, Intelligence and Agility. And they are for combat, elemental, speed, range, duration......here's a great guide on Explaining Gems... https://pathofexilegems.com/best-pat...eginner-guide/

I still have no idea as to class I'm starting with. For new players the Marauder is a safe bet...a tank, can do Sword, Axe, Hammer, dual-weld or with shield. The Ranger was fun with a bit of The Demon Hunter with Rain of Arrows and some other coll stuff. The Witch can do a sort of Necromancer from Diablo with Minions. I did not play The Shadow, Templar or Duelist so no idea there...

One final all-purpose guide.... https://fextralife.com/path-of-exile...rs-guide-2019/
Old 03-26-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I've seen the DL is available now...you just might have to search for it. It's about 9 gigs

Also here's another site that has a lot of the builds up for Synthesis that bear in mind show a lot of bought items that are high end and needed to get the results. But it does show the skill trees and what you need to aim for at least..... https://www.poecurrencybuy.com/poe-3-6-synthesis-builds

In the past with the limited amount playing PoE on the PC, I found this person's video to be helpful at least explaining the build, what was needed and more importantly, showing the path in the skill tree. Again, what he shows is high end gear but explains the core of the builds like gear, gems, attributes, flasks and such to give you a visual idea. The build you can do are far more in depth than the ones in Diablo and can have a steep learning curve.

<iframe width="878" height="494" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SmF7ZoZBFZ0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-26-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
From what I've seen the DL is available now...you just might have to search for it. It's about 9 gigs
Can you give a link? I've been searching for it on the PS store and can't find it.

*edit, nevermind it finally showed up. If you are a PS+ member, don't forget to grab the free PS+ pack, which contains an Infernal Skull helmet skin and a Fire Frog pet.

*edit, again! Wait a minute, I thought this game wasn't supposed to be Pay 2 Win? There's $150 Vanguard Support Pack that sounds like it comes with free armor. Is this really just skins? For $150???
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...00110000000000

Booting it up now, it's funny, the main screen says "Push Options button to play, Triangle for Options"

My 30 min review: it's clunky. Don't expect Diablo level polish AT ALL.

Last edited by joeblow69; 03-26-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you give a link? I've been searching for it on the PS store and can't find it.

*edit, nevermind it finally showed up. If you are a PS+ member, don't forget to grab the free PS+ pack, which contains an Infernal Skull helmet skin and a Fire Frog pet.

*edit, again! Wait a minute, I thought this game wasn't supposed to be Pay 2 Win? There's $150 Vanguard Support Pack that sounds like it comes with free armor. Is this really just skins? For $150???
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...00110000000000

Booting it up now, it's funny, the main screen says "Push Options button to play, Triangle for Options"

My 30 min review: it's clunky. Don't expect Diablo level polish AT ALL.
Everything that is for sale in the store......is cosmetic only, none has actual stats or give a boost to combat. All the characters will look based on what armor and items they put on but a lot prefer to buy cosmetic stuff for enhancing the look over the stuff you pick up along with supporting the game. I hope later we get a chance at all the other packs the PC players get offered...there's some wild looking gear and stuff.

So far the game is running and looking just like what I saw on the PC version. Controls are not bad and takes a bit to explore the menu which I actually like. A bit slow on moving around your stash and making sure not to hit the wrong button when moving items and especially loading Gems. I got my first taste of the Memory for one...I lasted about 10-12 seconds....but got a far better Staff. I went with a Templar and will take the Elemental Path.

One bit of advice....pay attention to your stash and what you pick up. If you plan on another character, keep some items for them, put in your stash, start them and then move them over. Your stash will grow big time with items for others...even with gems and materials. I did see quite a few in the first town section...like 12-13 players.
Old 03-26-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
So far the game is running and looking just like what I saw on the PC version. Controls are not bad and takes a bit to explore the menu which I actually like. A bit slow on moving around your stash and making sure not to hit the wrong button when moving items and especially loading Gems. I got my first taste of the Memory for one...I lasted about 10-12 seconds....but got a far better Staff. I went with a Templar and will take the Elemental Path.
Oh, I picked the Templar too ... question ... I am "missing" a lot with my swings. Someone said that's normal because of low accuracy, but I think it's something else. Like, if my guy is not 100% pointing in the exact right direction, he will miss. If I rotate my guy 5 degrees then he hits. Is that normal? I am missing Diablo's targeting system already
Old 03-26-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I picked the Templar too ... question ... I am "missing" a lot with my swings. Someone said that's normal because of low accuracy, but I think it's something else. Like, if my guy is not 100% pointing in the exact right direction, he will miss. If I rotate my guy 5 degrees then he hits. Is that normal? I am missing Diablo's targeting system already
Yep...same with me...you have to be almost right and it's worse with the low crawling things. But this is day one and I'm sure we're going to see some stuff that leaves us scratching our heads....

As to The Templar...and even with other builds....some elemental stuff will be the "In Thing"...and right now with Synthesis Arc & Cold Pulsing are huge since they got a big buff, specific Totems (Totem Builds are popular), Traps have become a big deal, some melee got buffs but mainly a lot of elemental in reduced Mana Costs and damage. I'm taking the elemental route and grabbed a lighting gem as a reward. It pulses lighting out in front and costs little to cast....I hardly use my staff anymore. I need to find a Wand that will give me two casting abilities.
Old 03-27-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good run last night as two of us hooked up and did several parts up to The Prison and several Memories. The game for the most part played flawless without any issues, server errors, glitches, lag....it was really good.

We did several of the Memories and I'm still trying to get my head around it and how it works. Basically you get in one and need to reach a 'Stabilizer" to secure it defeating a mob of enemies along the way. If the "Blue Wall" engulfs you before you reach a Stabilizer...the Memory Node will remained fractured and incomplete. You can go back and try but they have only so many chances to complete.

Also...the Memory Nodes might have 1 to 4 Stabilizers. On the Nexus Map....these Memory Nodes can be arranged and connected like Building Blocks...some might have a bridge on two ends. might be two in a corner, might be in a 3-way or even a 4-way. Not only try to plan ahead on connecting them but also making sure to open them. If a Unopened Fragmented one is placed further down, you have to go thru the open ones to reach it.. The memory Nodes do offer special rewards and like Delves in the past Leagues, don't worry on picking items up while running these...if you complete the Node all the loot will drop at the end. We didn't see much good stuff though last night. And the Stash part on your character is a big thorn compared to being spoiled in Diablo with able to carry (60) items

If anyone on the PS4 gets in these Memories...which are pretty tough....and needs a hand, I'll jump in...or both of us. The game is suppose to get harder with more players and supposedly better loot drops. And from what I can tell....each player's Memory Nexus is independent from others. Even though we played together, I could jump in to his Nexus and he could jump into mine.
Old 04-11-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is so damn confusing
Every time I go back to town with a full inventory of stuff, I feel like I need to spend an hour looking at stats and sockets to try to figure out if any of it is an upgrade or not!

I don't get these weird fortunes someone keeps giving me, I don't understand what the point of that memory map thing is, I don't get the synthesizer (I have a quest to use it, but can't figure it out).

The one good thing I can say is that at least I'm still able to progress with the story, so I guess I can just ignore most of the stuff I don't get for now ...
Old 04-11-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game is so damn confusing
Every time I go back to town with a full inventory of stuff, I feel like I need to spend an hour looking at stats and sockets to try to figure out if any of it is an upgrade or not!

I don't get these weird fortunes someone keeps giving me, I don't understand what the point of that memory map thing is, I don't get the synthesizer (I have a quest to use it, but can't figure it out).

The one good thing I can say is that at least I'm still able to progress with the story, so I guess I can just ignore most of the stuff I don't get for now ...
Sadly, The Synthesis is not exactly the ideal League for a "Beginner Intro Into Path of Exile"....is it a bit confusing and even can be tedious & overwhelming to actually start running thru them. I found this guide... https://gamerdiscovery.com/path-of-e...etailed-guide/ ...that actually helped explain it. It's literally piecing together these Memory Blocks you have to enter and stabilize. These "Blocks" work sort of like a Building Block Set on a 2D flat plain that you try to assemble based on the opening...some have two and some a 4-way, 2-way, 3-way where you try to connect. Each has a maximum of (3) Tries...small number in bottom corner. There are sometimes Memory Blocks already in place that has Special Chests & Extra Loot...you have to connect Memory Blocks to there. But...you have to run thru each one from The Nexus defeating Hordes of Enemies along the way. Once a Memory Block is used up, it goes away and you need to replace it with another. You can only have (10) Blocks in your side storage on the right. I've got some good stuff but lately I ignore it until we have time to do a run thru.

On Gear with Sockets...depend on your build but the more sockets tied together the better. But you don't start seeing 4 or more sockets till Act 4. Most try to use like their main damage dealer in the one with most sockets adding "Support Gems"...then having your second damage dealer in whatever has most sockets with support gems too. Most early on have a sort of "Defense Gem"....Totem, Traps, Orb,...and have support gems on them to. Flasks are important with at least one good Life & Mana. Skill Tree can be daunting which is why almost everyone will take a look at Builds which are dime-a-dozen. These will highlight end-game gear but will always show the progress of the Skill Tree and Gems they used...

Life, Armor and Evasion are important in the game...Life is always a must no matter the character. No matter the character, you need some of all of those; Intellect, Strength, and Dexterity. In a lot of case especially later on, most armor pieces have a minimum requirement of each to even put on. Above all else...Do Not Underestimate The Need Of Elemental Resistance....you can only max out at 79%....Rings are a Great Source. Grab a cheap Iron Ring + Red Gem...trade it in together and you'll get a Normal Ruby Ring (20% Fire Resistance). You can then upgrade it to Magic or Rare if you want.

There's a lot I don't know and try to get my head around but no doubt it's got far more to offer than Diablo....and if PoE doesn't cut it and you want that Diablo style game...Warhammer: Chaosbane is coming end of May. The beta has gotten some good reviews and it takes a little of both Diablo and PoE and seems to have turned some heads....
Old 04-29-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To answer your question Buzz:

I downloaded and installed this game but after reading the initial guide and links that people provided in the earlier posts, I decided not to start this game because I don't think I have the time to invest in this game.

My video game time is very limited and for me to invest the type of hours that I did for Diablo is not possible for this game. Also even though the gameplay might be similar to Diablo, I did not relish to learn all the intricacies and differences of the mechanisms of this game.
Old 04-29-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
To answer your question Buzz:

I downloaded and installed this game but after reading the initial guide and links that people provided in the earlier posts, I decided not to start this game because I don't think I have the time to invest in this game.

My video game time is very limited and for me to invest the type of hours that I did for Diablo is not possible for this game. Also even though the gameplay might be similar to Diablo, I did not relish to learn all the intricacies and differences of the mechanisms of this game.
No problem and we're all in that..."I don't have enough time to play all these games" boat....I'm no different as I've had to cut back on Elder Scrolls and Warframe to accommodate Division 2 and Path of Exile. But I knew you had played Diablo III in the past was was wondering.

It is deeper than Diablo and some who played both have said it makes Diablo a "Cut & Paste Cookie-Cutter" because of the amount one can do. There's far more...Character Customization and Builds you can do than simply trying to assemble a Set w/Buffs like in Diablo. As some have said, with Diablo each character basically had 4-6 builds and that's it. It's almost impossible to have the same set as anyone else but in doing so it's also become more involved.

FWIW...another Diablo Clone game is coming and so far the "Beta Reviews" have been pretty positive....it's called ...Warhammer: Chaosbane and has seemed to take a little of Diablo and Path of Exile to come up with more than Diablo but notas much in Path of Exile. I've been watching some videos and has gotten my interest. Coming first part of June.
Old 04-30-19, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks I’ll keep an eye for it.
Old 05-31-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ended up getting Warhammer: Chaosbane but yet to really play it...got early play. I like PoE but the trading Prices have become a joke and no-one wants top come off them. You see pages of items yet everyone is asking for lot of Chaos Orbs as if they're falling al over the place...but they're not. There's a review up on Warhammer: Chaosbane at IGN....8.7....https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05...aosbane-review
Old 02-25-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Path of Exile: Delirium Hits March 13...New Season.... https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/25/21...d-release-date