Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Path of Exile (F2P Diablo Clone)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Path of Exile (F2P Diablo Clone)

Probably a stupid question, but when the game is out of beta, does everyone start from scratch? Not so sure I want to put more time into it now, and I saw in the faq that they reserve the right to wipe everyone's stats during beta.
Old 07-29-12, 11:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's my understanding that there will be wipe after closed beta, but that characters will remain in place between open beta and release.
Old 07-30-12, 07:43 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I think they do wipe you player eventually when the full game is released. However it will be a while before that happens.
Old 07-30-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Played during the open weekend with two friends. Me and one friend "beat" Act II, which unceremoniously dropped us back into Act I at the next level of difficulty. Our characters were still leveled up though, and we could travel back to the Normal difficulty map.

The last dungeon doesn't even have a quest associated with it yet. It felt more like we had simply played as much as they had finished. There's a major development near the end (middle of Act II) that wasn't resolved.

Probably put near 10 hours into the game myself. Playing with my friends was a little asynchronous, as 1 or 2 of us may be online without the 3rd for certain periods. Some doubling back of quests happened for one of us who missed the completion. Also, a few times one of us would open a portal next to a waypoint the others hadn't reached yet, saving some time.

Really didn't read any of the in-game text, so have little idea of what was actually going on in the game!
Old 09-11-12, 09:44 AM
wlj

There will be another "Public Stress Test" this weekend so give the game a shot if you have not already. I have purchased a closed beta membership and have put probably 30 hours into it. The game is superb. They just released a new patch that have changed things up quite a bit....for the better. Take notice Blizzard...these developers actually have a clue what they are doing
Old 09-11-12, 10:02 AM

Is looting still FFA?
Old 09-11-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is looting still FFA?
Looting is FFA, but with some items being locked to a certain player for a certain time period after it's dropped.

There's discussion on their looting system, and the developer's intentions, here:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392
Old 09-11-12, 11:11 AM

I'll try it out if I get a chance this weekend, but it seems unnecessarily wonky. People will be scrambling to grab items before the timer runs out instead of focused on killing mobs. Say what you like about Diablo 3, but they got looting right. Why appease the ninjas?
Old 12-28-12, 04:50 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess some people with access are getting extra beta keys to give out...if anyone has one I will take it if you don't plan on using it.
Old 01-13-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Open Beta for this starts on the 23rd.

With this, finishing Torchlight 2, and working through my new copy of Diablo 2...it's going to be the year of the ARPG for me.

Still have Sacred Gold to get to as well.

Looking back at their site, I forgot how massive the skill tree is.
Old 01-22-13, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a reminder the Open Beta starts tomorrow. Looks like you'll get to keep your progress wherever you get starting then as well, and they opened Act III.

The Open Beta version of the game (patch 0.10.0) introduces hundreds of changes including Path of Exile's third act - the City of Sarn. Act III includes 8 new tilesets, 18 completely new monster types and over 90 monster variations. When the Open Beta starts, all characters will be reverted back to level 1 so that it's a fresh playing field. After that point, we will never wipe characters or items again.
Old 01-22-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I downloaded it and will give it a try on 1/23. I hope it is good. I read that you really need to level a bit before the game really starts to flow. At first you are pretty weak I guess.

of course I doubt it could be as bad as Diablo 3 since at the least I will get it for free.
Old 01-23-13, 07:39 AM
wlj

The game is good. i have put around 30 hours into the closed beta, but i stopped a few months ago since I new there would be character resets. I just figured I would wait until the open beta to start again. I am excited to see Act 3.

For those people out there who loved Diablo 2, and are upset that Diablo 3 didn't meet expectations for you. This is your game. It is dark, dreary and more complicated. Customization is most people's main gripe with the D3. You won't have that problem with PoE. You are in full control of your character's skills and point allocation. The skill tree is a sight to behold.

I still prefer Diablo 3, but PoE is an amazing game. It is mindboggling that it is F2P.
Old 01-23-13, 07:48 AM

Looks like they still have FFA looting. Terrible decision.
Old 01-23-13, 10:56 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Groucho
Looks like they still have FFA looting. Terrible decision.

one of the big reasons I prefer D3, but lots of people enjoy doing it FFA. D2 was FFA and this is more of a follow up to that game than D3 is.
Old 01-24-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got it downloaded and gave it a try now that they are in open beta.

The talent tree or whatever you might call it is huge. Not really sure what would be best to pick so I am sure I picked wrong. of course I am only level 5 so I doubt I caused too many issues.

The gem upgrades is strange and no gold is also strange.

It was still fun to play around with it and know it cost me nothing so far to play it.

I hope to play it again this weekend when I have more time.
Old 01-29-13, 09:31 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I got it downloaded and gave it a try now that they are in open beta.

The talent tree or whatever you might call it is huge. Not really sure what would be best to pick so I am sure I picked wrong. of course I am only level 5 so I doubt I caused too many issues.

The gem upgrades is strange and no gold is also strange.

It was still fun to play around with it and know it cost me nothing so far to play it.

I hope to play it again this weekend when I have more time.

I am part of the very small minority that doesn't like the system. i prefer gold. All PoE fans usually blast me for saying this. People think the barter system in PoE is the greatest thing ever
Old 01-29-13, 12:20 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by wlj
I am part of the very small minority that doesn't like the system. i prefer gold. All PoE fans usually blast me for saying this. People think the barter system in PoE is the greatest thing ever
I would much rather have gold...

I am not sure how much I have played....but I am well into act 3, and about level 33 I think.

I really like the way the items/skills work together. I also love the skill tree, though a lot of it is generic. The game is a LOT harder on the first run that Diablo...more like Hell difficulty on Diablo.

I love how normal items can end up being the best in the game with luck...

As I said above I don't like not having gold. I am ok with random maps, but I hate how your map will reset if you move 2 maps away. Since there is a lot of backtracking, it gets annoying.

It is not as good as Diablo 3...not even close, but I have having a blast. Much more fun than Torchlight 1 or 2. The fact that it is 100% free...and that there is no need to EVER spend money since it is NOT pay to win is amazing. (Looking at you Diablo 3 thinly disguised pay to win model)

I would have easily spent 20 bucks on this and felt I got a good deal.
Old 01-30-13, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The large number of orbs and things is a bit of a mess. Since I do not barter or sell things to people ever I am not really sure how good of a system it will be for me. I understand the not having an AH system and frankly you get enough drops to be fine.

The large number of options does make the game a bit more complicated than I likely would normally spend time on. However, since it is free I will probably play off and on for a bit and see.

I wish it was easier to make changes in your talent tree if you end up making a mistake since rerolling and wasting more time redoing a character is not really something I am willing to invest in.

Overall I am enjoying the game so far.
Old 02-03-13, 10:55 PM
gamer for life

rolling my level 43 character still...on the next difficulty up. The game is still a blast. I had some troubles at times with my "tank" build until I started putting points into life regeneration which I find much more useful than life on hit or life leach...

I got my first Unique...it sucked lol..
Old 02-04-13, 11:44 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by foxdvd
rolling my level 43 character still...on the next difficulty up. The game is still a blast. I had some troubles at times with my "tank" build until I started putting points into life regeneration which I find much more useful than life on hit or life leach...

I got my first Unique...it sucked lol..

you need to come back to Diablo 3. me and Vballboy are co-oping quite a bit and having a blast. Dvdtalkers are the coolest.

Old 09-16-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I thought I raise this from the "Dead & Forgotten Topics" since I decided to give it a go after seeing the game mentioned countless times on the Official Diablo III forums. Most if not all of the threads are console game related but somewhat amazed last post was back in 02/2013 when the game was still fairly new.

I assume it was 'Version 1.0" then...well it's Version 3.4.2 now and I'm sure a lot of changes have happened between then and now. I've just really dove in the talk, forums, help guides in last two days and still a lot of questions. but for Diablo fans and players, some similarities help ease the move over.

My original intention was to hope i could grab and play it thru the MS Store but it's for Xbox One only; not pc...I had planned to ask on the Xbox Forum if anyone was playing this and their take on the console version....still might look at a Xbox One or X since I still have my Gold Subscription.

In case some would be interested again...PC and Xbox One...link to the Wiki and official game site below. I really liked it...just hit hit level I think 8...though trying to get use to the KB & Mouse again after a long time away. Considering a game nearly 5+ years old, the gameplay is still enjoyable at least for now with what looks like countless option & paths to choose. Might not dazzle in the "Eye Candy" area but pretty good in the play one.

Wiki Page - https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

Offical Site - https://www.pathofexile.com/game
Old 09-16-18, 09:25 PM
gamer for life

I got hooked on this again on the xbox one...put a lot of hours into it before moving over to the PC again. Steam says I put 177 hours into it last year. The game is amazing, but lacks the endgame that Diablo 3 has. For me, the game is an amazing experience, but 200 hours vs 7 to 8 thousand on Diablo shows the difference in the end game. Of course there are a lot of people that think the endgame is better on Path, I am just not one of them.

Do yourself a favor if you like these games, try it. It is free...all microtransactions are cosmetic only.
Old 09-17-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still playing and just finished the first Act...went with a Witch>Necromancer. The Free-to-Play with Pay-for-Cosmetic stuff is very similar to Warframe and both seem to being succeeding quite well. Until I'm a bit more ahead and for sure, like Warframe I wouldn't mind throwing some $$$ to support it. Better than some of the larger ones with monthly fees or some new dlc that costs almost what a new game is that you need to progress.

From what I know...which is little...they just put in this new Delve Mode that's basically endless. But I'm grasping the economics which like Warframe, everything has a use and value. Similarities to Diablo are the seperate Armor pcs with gems, a shared stash, mana and health pool with ability powers that are all almost laid out like Diablo. Wish the overhead view could go out a tiny bit more but overall the look and detail is quite impressive for a old game like this. I like how the Dungeon areas are; very low lit so you really can't see too much around and almost surprised at any given moment.
Old 02-21-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Path Of Exile's Big New Expansion, Synthesis, Releases In March

The Synthesis expansion releases on PC March 8, with console versions out shortly after. ....... Including PS4

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/path-of-exiles-big-new-expansion-synthesis-release/1100-6465076/

<iframe width="871" height="490" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ThYCp7bjDa0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.