Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top 100 Video Games of All Time on G4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Top 100 Video Games of All Time on G4

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
... and Ultima Online was the first MMORPG that took off laying the pavement down for games like Everquest and something called World of Warcraft. It told the gaming industry you could charge people for a game, charge them again monthly for a game, and charge them again for expansion packs. Oh, and people will perform their own transactions outside of the game so they can build up their characters or purchase others directly outright.

While I do give Angry Birds a lot of credit for showing developers that the smartphone console is a great platform to make games on, there's been far better games than Angry Birds to be released on Android and iOS. Hell, the list already sucks for including a fucking Scrabble rip-off at #99.
Ultima Online might have showed a few hundred thousand people might be interested; World of Warcraft showed 10 million people could be. I'm ok with popularity factoring in on a list like this, and it makes sense that WoW is more significant then Ultima Online or EQ.

There might be more fun or deep and complex games then Angry Birds out there on portable devices, but given its massive popularity, not just on smart phones but its also embedded in browsers and selling tablets like the Nook Color, and has spawned a ton of other commercial products. No other Android or iOS game is close.

EDIT: And this comes back to what I was saying earlier, its funny to see people hate these lists because their opinion is different. For instance, I like GTA3 more then San Andreas, so I wouldn't even include that game on my list. I'm sure if each of us posted our top 100 people we would rip each other's lists apart too

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-15-12 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Ultima Online might have showed a few hundred thousand people might be interested; World of Warcraft showed 10 million people could be. I'm ok with popularity factoring in on a list like this, and it makes sense that WoW is more significant then Ultima Online or EQ.

There might be more fun or deep and complex games then Angry Birds out there on portable devices, but given its massive popularity, not just on smart phones but its also embedded in browsers and selling tablets like the Nook Color, and has spawned a ton of other commercial products. No other Android or iOS game is close.

EDIT: And this comes back to what I was saying earlier, its funny to see people hate these lists because their opinion is different. For instance, I like GTA3 more then San Andreas, so I wouldn't even include that game on my list. I'm sure if each of us posted our top 100 people we would rip each other's lists apart too
However, if Ultima Online never existed, would World of Warcraft exist? I do completely agree that WoW is more important and significant of a title.

If Angry Birds can get on the list, where are any of the PopCap games? They might not have the popularity that Angry Birds has, but they're a lot more fun and they've crossed over numerous platforms.

I like GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas; and they should all be on the list before GTAIV which I thought was boring and unimaginative. Hell, I'd put the two DLCs for GTAIV on the list before GTAIV itself.
Old 06-15-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the beauty of opinions. Ultima & WoW would be nowhere on my top 100 list.
Old 06-15-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
That's the beauty of opinions. Ultima & WoW would be nowhere on my top 100 list.
I played both and hated each one. However, would I consider them to be on a complied best video games of all time? Yes.

Love them or hate them, those games did change the industry.
Old 06-15-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

However, if Ultima Online never existed, would World of Warcraft exist? I do completely agree that WoW is more important and significant of a title.

If Angry Birds can get on the list, where are any of the PopCap games? They might not have the popularity that Angry Birds has, but they're a lot more fun and they've crossed over numerous platforms.

I like GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas; and they should all be on the list before GTAIV which I thought was boring and unimaginative. Hell, I'd put the two DLCs for GTAIV on the list before GTAIV itself.
Bejewled should definitely be on the list; I can't think of any other PopCap games that are as significant.
Old 06-15-12, 02:31 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
As long as Ocarina of Time is #1 it's a valid list.
I am thinking that #1 will probably be Tetris. It's got universal appeal, it's extremely addictive, and it's been played constantly for almost 30 years.
Old 06-15-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Bejewled should definitely be on the list; I can't think of any other PopCap games that are as significant.
I think I would consider Plants vs. Zombies significant. Though probably not as much as Bejeweled...
Old 06-15-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a weird list. On one hand they have the original Tony Hawk game, which was influential, rated highly but the first few sequels really advanced the concept to the point where the first game seems quaint. I bet most people would answer 2, 3, or 4 when you ask them to name their favorite of the series. But then, they have Halo 3 ranked ahead of Halo, when obviously the original was much more influential.

Why Ghosts 'N Goblins? Isn't Ghouls 'N Ghosts widely considered better? I don't even think the first one was all that influential.
Old 06-15-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Halo 3 is better than Halo?
It may be a cheat, but I'd consider it the Halo Trilogy on a list like this. Halo solidified MS as a console maker. Halo 2 basically paved the way for all of Xbox Live. Halo 3 gave us online stat integration & video recording/sharing(which I can see as a console feature on the 720). They're all part of one big package.
Old 06-15-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't like to criticize lists too much, but figuring out how to treat franchises is tough.

* I will say, unless you specifically say the list is meant to be important or influential games, don't bother putting Pong on it. A game should still be fun to play to be considered an all time great IMO.
Old 06-15-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

EDIT: I just realized there's not a single Blizzard game on the list yet. So I'm assuming the Top 10 will be filled with their titles or PC gamers are going to lose their shit.
Baldur's Gate II at #90. I laughed...what a joke.
Old 06-15-12, 05:52 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It may be a cheat, but I'd consider it the Halo Trilogy on a list like this. Halo solidified MS as a console maker. Halo 2 basically paved the way for all of Xbox Live. Halo 3 gave us online stat integration & video recording/sharing(which I can see as a console feature on the 720). They're all part of one big package.
Wait what do you mean by stat integration. If you mean stats that you can check online, Halo 2 had that as well.

Halo: Combat Evolved was easily the strongest of the Halo titles single player wise. Halo 2 definitely deserves credit for paving the way for what XBL is today. Most Halo's beyond that though tread too similar of ground to be near a top 100 games list.

I couldn't agree more. GTAIV's "oscar-caliber story" really wasn't that great, it was just very serious and lacking as much of that Rockstar humor/cartoony vibes.

Grand Theft Auto III is better than San Andreas?
GTA III made not only GTA what it is today, but the open world genre what it is today. You have to consider time and place too, it's kind of lame to say, for example, Vice City is a better game than 3 because it's slightly more polished and overall more balanced. If lists were done like that, you'd have no game more than 10 years old on the list.

I prefer San Andreas too, but GTA III is technically the better game I won't argue that.

Last edited by atrium; 06-15-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Jesus fucking Christ? Can we get a link up to the list up in here?

Fine. I'll do it.

I was waiting for someone else to do it. You didn't disappoint.
Old 06-15-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of influential games, is Dune II going to make the list? That game created the RTS genre and was the template for Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft, and many others.
Old 06-15-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Speaking of influential games, is Dune II going to make the list? That game created the RTS genre and was the template for Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Starcraft, and many others.
Where's Zork?
Old 06-18-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If Starcraft doesn't make this list, that's BS.
Old 06-18-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It did. #17
Old 06-18-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The top 20

20. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
19. Diablo II
18. Ms. Pac-Man
17. Starcraft
16. Half-Life
15. Donkey Kong
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
13. Portal
12. Doom II
11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10. World of Warcraft
9. Shadow of the Colossus
8. GoldenEye 007
7. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. The Legend of Zelda
5. Tetris
4. Asteroids
3. Bioshock
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. Super Mario Bros.

I liked Bioshock, but it seems awfully high.
Old 06-18-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

GoldenEye also seems really high.
Old 06-18-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have no problems with 19 of those. You could play them for the first time today and still enjoy the hell out of any of them. However, that Colossus turd belongs nowhere near the top 20. I can appreciate that SotC might have been the shit when it came out, but today it's an unplayable mess.
Old 06-18-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I still don't get what was so great about it. I guess you had to be there, so to speak. By the time I played it (2001, I think) it seemed so dated and limited.

Why Doom II? It certainly wasn't as influential as the first one, and it wasn't that much of an improvement either. To show how little it distinguished itself, when the first 2 games were ported to the PlayStation, they just combined the levels from both games and called it "Doom."
Old 06-18-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Seemed too low to me.

Disappointed NHL 94 didn't make the list, but I guess that's why all lists like this are so subjective. I wouldn't put 3 Zelda titles in the top 20, or Asteroids as #4.
Old 06-18-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have no problems with 19 of those. You could play them for the first time today and still enjoy the hell out of any of them. However, that Colossus turd belongs nowhere near the top 20. I can appreciate that SotC might have been the shit when it came out, but today it's an unplayable mess.
I hadn't even clicked on this thread until now because lists like this are pretty silly, but I did run across the full list elsewhere so I had to come here just to see your SotC reaction.
Old 06-18-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I hadn't even clicked on this thread until now because lists like this are pretty silly, but I did run across the full list elsewhere so I had to come here just to see your SotC reaction.
Old 06-18-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bioshock being at number three proves why this list is shit.

Counter-strike and Starcraft both should've been in the top ten as they're still the most played games online despite being fifteen years old. Blizzard and Valve both made a legacy for themselves based upon those two games alone. While Blizzard got three games within the top twenty, the original Warcraft franchise gettinG shafted blows. Also, I would consider Valve's Team Fortress 2 to be in my top ten.

Numerous sequels got onto the list, but Final Fantasy VII is not the definitive game in that franchise. That's VI.

Halo 2 should've been on the list as it set the bar for multiplayer on console gaming and the multiplayer was far superior than what was given to us on Halo 3 and Reach.

Also, where the fuck is SimCity?

Ah, fuck it. The list sucks and I'll forget about it tomorrow. Just like how everyone has forgotten that G4 is a channel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.