Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Finished this up last night. I waited until the whole thing was released, as I'd prefer to play through a whole story at once rather than break it up into chunks separated by weeks/months. If nothing else, the success and acclaim this has had shows how hungry some gamers are for well-written narrative. Characters were extremely well fleshed out given what we're used to and the plot was well-done, if not without flaws. Certainly the writing and plotting were worlds ahead of Heavy Rain & LA Noir, two much bigger attempts at making games a bit more literary. That said, for me, the game highlighted that we've still got a ways to go before games' stories are at the level of films, tv shows or books. There'd be a lot more nitpicking if the same basic story/characters were portrayed in a show/movie. For instance, if we'd watched a film version, there'd be all kind of bitching about...

Spoiler:
the station-wagon guy at the end. Just ridiculous and made no sense. Unless the walkie talkie had a tracking device in it, it's absurd that he was able to track their party when they took the train, got to the city, etc. His whole 'I was listening to all the stuff you did' was nonsense too. It pulled me completely out of the story, as the only reason his character was there was as an excuse to recap player decisions throughout the game. It made no sense, had no place in the story and should've been left out. To have such a load of crap right at the end was really disappointing, given how strong it'd been up until then.

A much more minor complaint is how predictable some plot points were. As soon as Lee trained Clem to shoot on the train, I knew the game was going to end with him turning and her shooting him. It was so heavily foreshadowed that they kind of hit you over the head with it. What was going on at cannibal farm was also very apparent long before it was revealed, though that may have been intentional to up the creep-out factor.

That said, I enjoyed the story quite a bit, though I'd probably put it behind the Mass Effect series and Dragons Age: Origins in terms of personal enjoyment/appreciation. For the follow up, I'd like to see them:

- not give you the option to look at something/say something if it's going to generate the same response you just got. Sometimes doing the same thing multiple times gave you multiple unique responses, while others it just repeated stuff and took me out of the story. I understand they probably did it for if people missed something and needed to hear it again, but just have a transcript of what's been said that can be accessed while paused.

- improve the controls. I understand it's an adventure game, but the 'action' bits they tried to throw in were usually pretty terrible.

- do a better job hiding invisible walls. If I'm walking away from where I'm supposed to be, I'd much rather have the character say, 'Shouldn't stray too far from the group', turn around and start walking back, as opposed to just walking in place against a boundary that's not there.

My post sounds kind of bitchy, but I did really enjoy the game and the strength of the writing/characterization was primarily to credit for that. This is only the sixth 2012 release I've finished and I'd put it behind both Mass Effect 3 and Sleeping Dogs, though ahead of New Super Mario Bros. 2, Darksiders 2 and Prototype 2. Look forward to playing the sequel, assuming there is one.
Old 12-21-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I agree with your spoilers, maxfisher. Particularly the first one. That's part of the reason why I felt the ending didn't do much for me. Thankfully, the overall experience did get to me.

To be honest, I hated that the ending
Spoiler:
felt like a cliffhanger for just another episode. Even the post-credits scene fell flat for me. I would have prefered a leap to several years later that showed Clementine as fashioned by your choices throughout the game (hardened or hopefull, stationary or nomadic, etc).

Hopefully, Telltale will up their narrative game in season 2.
Old 12-21-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher

Spoiler:
As soon as Lee trained Clem to shoot on the train, I knew the game was going to end with him turning and her shooting him. It was so heavily foreshadowed that they kind of hit you over the head with it.
Regarding the part of your spoiler above on the ending, to be fair that doesn't necessarily have to happen.
Old 12-21-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Regarding the part of your spoiler above on the ending, to be fair that doesn't necessarily have to happen.
True. It didn't happen in my playthrough. However, the situation that places the choice in front of you is inevitable and the moiment he mentioned does telegraph the eventual scenario.
Old 12-21-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
True. It didn't happen in my playthrough. However, the situation that places the choice in front of you is inevitable and the moiment he mentioned does telegraph the eventual scenario.
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't feel that part with Clementine tilted the balance towards anything I wasn't already predicting.
Old 12-21-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't feel that part with Clementine tilted the balance towards anything I wasn't already predicting.
I get you. Truth be told, I was actually hoping for a darker ending than the obvious one we got. It still doesn't change the fact that the ending, though predictable given the genre, was still telegraphed.
Old 12-21-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was waiting for the XBLA freebie of Ep 1, but the $11 PC Gamefly deal is hard to pass up. Do you guys like one over the other?
Old 12-26-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just beat this one. Honestly, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, I really think this one is in my top 10 (maybe top 5) for this generation. It was just fantastic beginning to end. I'm so psyched for next season.
Old 12-26-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it has won some GotY already, so I don't think you're in much of a minority.
Old 12-26-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Jumping forward years later wouldn't really work, this story is very much a slow burn.
Old 12-26-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

I didn't realize ep. 1 was free, but I stumbled upon it by accident today. I set it to download. Why is there such a difference in price? I see it's $49.99 from Amazon, but $29.99 from Best Buy. Then I see downloading after ep. 1 being free, this would cost $20 in points. Hmmm, decisions.

What is the play length on these per episode? Can you get like 10 hours out of each? If so, I'd say $30 or less for 5 hours of gameplay is a pretty good deal.
Old 12-26-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

No, you'd probably get 10-12 hours total, it's very much worth it for $20-25. I heard it's cheap on Steam too but I don't use that. No clue why the physical disc price is $50.
Old 12-26-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it's only $12.49 on Steam today.
Old 12-26-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I didn't realize ep. 1 was free, but I stumbled upon it by accident today. I set it to download. Why is there such a difference in price? I see it's $49.99 from Amazon, but $29.99 from Best Buy. Then I see downloading after ep. 1 being free, this would cost $20 in points. Hmmm, decisions.

What is the play length on these per episode? Can you get like 10 hours out of each? If so, I'd say $30 or less for 5 hours of gameplay is a pretty good deal.
It's $29.99 on Amazon as well. It's just out of stock right now and what you're seeing is the price a different seller is charging.

I'd say each episode was 2-3 hours.
Old 12-26-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Ah, I didn't realize it was a market place seller. Didn't look that closely. Hmmm. $30 for 10-12 hours. I might have to give that some extra thought. Thanks guys.
Old 12-26-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Xbox will have Episodes 2-5 on sale on Friday. Probably somewhere between 200-400 points each.
Old 12-26-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

They are already 400 points
Old 12-26-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MWB
Xbox will have Episodes 2-5 on sale on Friday. Probably somewhere between 200-400 points each.
Interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-27-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just beat this the other day and I hated episode 5.
Old 12-27-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Jumping forward years later wouldn't really work, this story is very much a slow burn.
For the actual ending (assuming they'd pick up season 2 with a totally different cast of characters) it would have worked. Instead, it was just another cliffhanger.
Old 12-27-12, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
They are already 400 points
Correction: Probably somewhere between 200-399 points each.
Old 12-27-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 12-27-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...lementine.aspx

This is a pretty awesome article on the development/creation of Clementine in the game.

Though Lee Everett is the character you control in The Walking Dead, he wasn’t the character that the game is built around. “Clementine was literally the first idea,” says Vanaman, who planned Episode Fives’s outcome before writing a single line of dialogue. Vanaman had plenty of reasons to focus on a child, since Robert Kirkman, writer of the original comic series, never shied away from involving kids in his dark tale. However, convincing his Telltale cohorts to use a young girl in such an intense setting wasn’t an easy sell. Vanaman says, “Getting people internally excited about it was really challenging.... There’s no kid I can point to in a video game and say, ‘It’s going to be just like that person, don’t worry about it.’” Soon enough, the reservations lifted, surprising even Vanaman. “People recognized the hurdle set forth by deciding there’s going to be this little girl that’s going to be a key feature of the game, but people kept saying yes anyway.”

The next step was shaping Clementine’s personality. “From the beginning, the designers knew they wanted a character that would act as a moral compass for the main character as he progressed through the game,” says art director David Sakai. “The designers envisioned a smart, honest, and capable girl around eight years old.”
Old 12-27-12, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by MWB
Correction: Probably somewhere between 200-399 points each.
200 each, apparently. Sale has already gone live. 800 points for all five, probably the best of all the year-end deals on Xbox.
Old 12-27-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.