Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Old 02-27-12, 12:49 PM
gamer for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Originally Posted by wlj View Post
thanks!

does it cost alot of money to do the reset??
first time you do it it is like 2000 gold....each time you use it the cost goes up...
Old 02-28-12, 12:23 AM
gamer for life

I think I am at the end...or at least it seems like that.

I have visited the whole map, and everyone keeps building up a big ending so I am sure I am there. I still have two faction quests and a shit load of side, but I think I will call it when I finish. I am happy I played it, but it just is missing that magic that even bad RPG games like Two Worlds can have for me. I can enjoy a flawed RPG game as long as the level up system and challenge is there. This game is missing that. No challenge, and the system is messed up for a mage because the limitations of spell slots on your controller.

I will be near 50 hours when I am done, and right now it would get a 7 out of 10 from me. I would highly recommend holding off till it dropped under 20 bucks.
Old 02-28-12, 08:35 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
I think I am at the end...or at least it seems like that.

I have visited the whole map, and everyone keeps building up a big ending so I am sure I am there. I still have two faction quests and a shit load of side, but I think I will call it when I finish. I am happy I played it, but it just is missing that magic that even bad RPG games like Two Worlds can have for me. I can enjoy a flawed RPG game as long as the level up system and challenge is there. This game is missing that. No challenge, and the system is messed up for a mage because the limitations of spell slots on your controller.

I will be near 50 hours when I am done, and right now it would get a 7 out of 10 from me. I would highly recommend holding off till it dropped under 20 bucks.

you are a better man than I, I would never stick with a "7" game for 50 hours.
Old 02-29-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Legend of Dead Kel story DLC coming on March 20
EA’s announced this morning the first bit of story DLC for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, called The Legend of Dead Kel.

The content will take place in Gallows End, taking in numerous side quests, a number of new dungeons and “a colourful cast of characters,” as well as new enemies and enemy variants.

There’ll also be a new dungeon type called Dverga and a a “massive estate” known as Gravehal Keep that will contain its own backstory, side-quests and more.

The new content will also expand the land of the RPG by 15%.

It’ll launch on March 20 for Xbox Live Marketplace, PlayStation Network, Origin and Steam.
Old 02-29-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I just activated the Online Pass, that will give you a house at the end of it (apparently). Then, in the next fifteen minutes of playing, I finish the on-disk quest that gives you a house. Nicely timed.

I'm about 10 hours in, I've been doing a lot of side quests and not progressed too far on the main story.

I have to say, I don't know if you're a completist or not, but the fact that you played for 50 hours sort of counters the rating of 7 to me. Then again, ratings are subjective - I'm fine with a 7, because I interpret that as "Flawed, imperfect, but still fun." There's enough games to play that if I'm getting bored after 10-15 hours, I'll quit playing it, regardless of rating - but if it's still fun, I'll keep playing it, even if it is "bad". (Divinity II: TDKS, for example, had a lot of issues, but I played it all the way through. For some reason I couldn't get into the expansion though, maybe I was just burned out.)

I'm playing on normal, and it is pretty easy so far. The only things I've bought were a couple of health potions, and I've done alchemy and blacksmithing once or twice just to do it. I've been using a staff or chakram pretty much the whole time - the chakram seems overpowered, but i've had a few moments of excitement where I got swarmed. The only time I died was when I opened a trapped chest which killed me instantly (I don't think I was at full health though.) Combat hasn't gotten boring yet, but I could see it happening. It's smooth, but repetitive.
Old 02-29-12, 01:23 PM
gamer for life

I gave it a 7 because I did enjoy the game....I would not have put 50 hours in if I did not. There is easily another 50 hours of game that I am not going to play though. It does not have the draw that Skyrim or Dark Souls has (over 100 hours on each)
Old 03-04-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just picked this up at the flea market for $40 on 360. And then i read there's going to be a harder difficulty patch put in soon! :

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/s...384#post101384
Old 03-04-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Is this a buy now for full price or wait until it drops a bit game? I have really been pondering picking this one up but I'm not 100% sold just yet.
Old 03-04-12, 09:41 PM
gamer for life

if they raise the difficulty of this game I would probably go back to it and finish all the side missions...
Old 03-20-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anyway to dispell the curses by yourself? I hate paying the healers multiple thousand gold so early on. I have vowed to not even mess with the magic locked boxes, I still dont get how to dispell them so screw it, have never found anything worth it in one.

Is there an AOE attack for a Rogue? I hate that there are so many fights that you are just swarmed, only time I have died.
Old 03-20-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
Is there an AOE attack for a Rogue? I hate that there are so many fights that you are just swarmed, only time I have died.
I hate the way six enemies will pop right out of the ground around you. What's the point of stealth again??
That's hokey as hell and really turned me off from playing.
Old 03-20-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
I hate the way six enemies will pop right out of the ground around you. What's the point of stealth again??
That's hokey as hell and really turned me off from playing.
Yeah I started out as a stealthy rogue, but then when I could not sneak up on anything at all I have now gone more bow oriented, but that does not help when crap pops out of the ground in front of you.
Old 03-21-12, 08:47 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am done with this game after 6 hours. it just isn't working for me. i understand why some love it, but I don't. I want to sell or trade this in the exchange forum, but no one is helping me out lol.
Old 03-21-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I put a little more time into than you, but I uninstalled last night. I was really impressed with it initially, but the more I played the less I liked it.
Old 03-21-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Kingdoms of Amalur hides seven quests behind online pass

Oh well, pre-order cancelled. They had me with the demo, but lost me with this shit. I can wait until it's $20.
Ok, I didn't wait until it was $20, but I finally got this today. $38 used via Amazon Warehouse Deals, with unredeemed online pass code.

Thanks, online pass system, for continuing to save me money!
Old 03-21-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,432 Likes on 897 Posts

Ok, I didn't wait until it was $20, but I finally got this today. $38 used via Amazon Warehouse Deals, with unredeemed online pass code.

Thanks, online pass system, for continuing to save me money!
Way to fight the power and save $7 over us folks who bought the game new six weeks ago.
Old 03-22-12, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking more of the fact that I was ready and willing to pay full price on release day, but as you say...I did indeed save money either way. So thanks for pointing that out again.
Old 03-22-12, 05:38 AM
gamer for life

I was thinking more of the fact that I was ready and willing to pay full price on release day, but as you say...I did indeed save money either way. So thanks for pointing that out again.
moviepage...I am telling you your expectations on how easy this is still have not prepared you for it. I wish I had played Dark Souls after...
Old 03-22-12, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I started on Hard based on what I'd read, and it hasn't been very challenging so far. I've died a couple of times, but I imagine like most RPGs it gets easier as you progress.
Old 03-22-12, 05:57 AM
gamer for life

Yeah, I started on Hard based on what I'd read, and it hasn't been very challenging so far. I've died a couple of times, but I imagine like most RPGs it gets easier as you progress.
the moment you start putting on better gear...and gain a few levels..especially the pure mage path that I did...
Old 05-24-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like there won't be a sequel....

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17101...tire_staff.php
Old 05-24-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good, there shouldn't be. Game sucked. Sucks for all those people though.
Old 05-24-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So the MMO is canned as well?
Old 05-24-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's been interesting to follow the developing story over the past couple of weeks. Sad news, especially for the affected employees.

Something has to change in this industry or it's all going to come crashing down.
Old 05-24-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

This article has more background on the deal between 38 Studios and Rhode Island:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...ands-reckoning

It sounds like 38 Studios was overambitious. They seemed intent on making blockbusters right out of the gate, and assumed that the world of Amalur would be a game world players would want to return to again and again.

I heard that as the game was put of for collateral for the loan, RI will very soon own a video game.

Some good news for the employees; other game studios have extended job offers:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...8-studios-jobs

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.