Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

If Amazon didn't match, I wouldn't have gotten it yet, but I'm in now.
Old 02-11-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
You get a house pretty early on which has a chest that can store 155 I think. And you can buy backpacks which up your inventory level.
Got the house last night. Didn't expect it to be free after Skyrim, then there's that comical "upgrade your house" quest. I just stood there -- "Do you want me to expand your house for 198 gold?". Sure! "Would you like me to add an attic for 198 gold?". Why not? "I can add a basement for 198 gold". Go knock yourself out. "This the final expansion I can do for you. I can increase your basement for 198 gold.". Okay. Goodbye. -- Quest Completed.

What sort of a fucked up economic system do they have in Amalur when you can hire a handyman to expand and fully furnish your house five times over for under 1000 gold, but a simple backpack costs over seven grand?
Old 02-12-12, 12:52 AM

So I've put in like 11 hours so far (am I the only one here playing this game?). I like it and it's fun, but... and I almost feel bad about mentioning this... I think it's way too easy on Normal. I've never died. Not once. Not even from accidentally forgetting to take a health potion, let alone running out of potions. And, it should certainly be noted, I really suck at gaming. I'm still having fun and chaining together combat moves and switching around different weapon combos is still cool, but I think I'd enjoy it more if there were actually some uncertainty and risk involved beyond "Will I have to use a Minor Healing Potion during this fight?". I'd recommend that anyone who's better at gaming than me (and let's be fair : that's pretty much everyone) play this on Hard difficulty. I'm thinking of increasing mine as well (if I can during this play-through -- I ain't starting over).

There's something inherently wrong about a game where it's much harder to successfully harvest wildflowers than it is to defeat the boss battles.

Last edited by Decker; 02-12-12 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-12-12, 02:15 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the jump from normal to hard is a good one of if this is one of those games where normal is easy and hard is impossible....

Thanks for the heads up though...I should have Mass 2 done by tomorrow and then I plan on starting this...
Old 02-12-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I also heard it was really easy so I started my character on hard. The regular fights are still pretty easy, but the dungeons can be tricky. I'm stuck in one now with a quarter health, no potions and I've got to get by a pack of wolves and an ettin. One those try something-die-reload scenarios.
Old 02-15-12, 07:57 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just ebayed the snoozefest skyrim and i plan to pick this game up with the proceeds. i enjoyed the combat in the demo.
Old 02-15-12, 08:01 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started on hard...and I am glad I did...hard feels like easy..

I am frustrated with the crashes (xbox freeze) though...seems to be happening with EA games lately for me...
Old 02-15-12, 11:35 AM
wlj

So anyone here really love the game at first then it kind of lost it's luster soon? I am still kind of on the fence. I am leaning more towards buying but I was just curious.

is the DLC packed in a brand new copy worth it? i can get the game probably 10 bucks cheaper used, but I didn't want to do that if the DLC is very good.
Old 02-15-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I lost interest in it real quick, unfortunately. It might be due to the fact that I just got done with putting about 200 hours into Skyrim, which is far better. The world just doesn't seem alive like it should. I'll definitely give more time to grow on me but I'm not sure if this is one I'll play through to the end. If you thought Skyrim was a snoozefest, I don't see how you'd enjoy this one; even with the more action-based combat.
Old 02-15-12, 11:50 AM
wlj

I lost interest in it real quick, unfortunately. It might be due to the fact that I just got done with putting about 200 hours into Skyrim, which is far better. The world just doesn't seem alive like it should. I'll definitely give more time to grow on me but I'm not sure if this is one I'll play through to the end. If you thought Skyrim was a snoozefest, I don't see how you'd enjoy this one; even with the more action-based combat.

thanks for the input. i am hoping for a more Dark Souls like experience so I enjoy the fact that KoA is an action RPG. I think I can look and look but I won't find a game as good as Dark Souls.
Old 02-15-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is no Dark Souls, that's for damn sure. Have you played through Demon Souls?
Old 02-15-12, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am still enjoying it but agree that the world doesn't seem alive like Skyrim's. When I play Amalur, I find myself just going from task to task. I don't feel the compulsion to explore that Skyrim gave me.
Old 02-15-12, 11:57 AM
wlj

This game is no Dark Souls, that's for damn sure. Have you played through Demon Souls?

no, i don't have a PS3. i would love to play it, but i don't think i can convince my wife to let me get another console. especially just for one game, none of the other sony exclusives really appeal to me. how about letting me borrow your PS3 for a while
Old 02-15-12, 11:58 AM

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it's inferior in every way (except combat) to Skyrim. Now that's not saying much since I consider Skyrim an instant classic, but this game is in so many ways remaniscent of Skyrim, it's hard to avoid the comparisons. Still it's pretty enjoyable for what it is and I do like some of their skill trees and upgrade perks (which, I read, are heavily inspired by WoW -- a game I've not played).
Old 02-15-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I am still enjoying it but agree that the world doesn't seem alive like Skyrim's. When I play Amalur, I find myself just going from task to task. I don't feel the compulsion to explore that Skyrim gave me.
I agree. The voice acting is great (on par with Skyrim, if not better) but I end up skipping a lot of it. The only reason I can think of is that the world isn't compelling enough.
Old 02-15-12, 12:18 PM
wlj

i am wondering if I should hold off on this and save the money for Ninja Gaiden 3 next month. I am torn about that game as well. I am a big fan of that series, but from the vids I have seen of NG3 it looks very unimpressive. It looks extremely noob-friendly and full of QTEs. You can definitely tell that Itagaki was not a part of its development. Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my top 5 games ever.

here is my favorite game formula --- a guy(or girl) with a sword/axe/scythe/ etc..., a little bit of magic, a level or area full of enemies and a larger than life boss at the end.

that is my favorite type of game after 33 years of playing.

any suggestions of a game of that nature that I may have missed along the way? 360 only

Last edited by wlj; 02-15-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on your love of two games that make a lot of people throw controllers; my opinion is that you won't like this game at all. It's action based but there's very little challenge. It's more of a button masher with a little bit of blocking thrown in.
Old 02-15-12, 12:45 PM
wlj

Based on your love of two games that make a lot of people throw controllers; my opinion is that you won't like this game at all. It's action based but there's very little challenge. It's more of a button masher with a little bit of blocking thrown in.

are there any cool bosses in Amalur?

Honestly, I am so thankful that Dark Souls was created and the amount of enjoyment I have gotten out of it. However, it has ruined me in a sense. All other games seem to pale in comparison. When I am playing something else, i just wish I was back playing Dark Souls.
Old 02-15-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it's inferior in every way (except combat) to Skyrim. Now that's not saying much since I consider Skyrim an instant classic, but this game is in so many ways remaniscent of Skyrim, it's hard to avoid the comparisons. Still it's pretty enjoyable for what it is and I do like some of their skill trees and upgrade perks (which, I read, are heavily inspired by WoW -- a game I've not played).

Pretty much what he said.

I do enjoy the game, and will continue to play it, but I can't see myself making a new character and going through it again.

The thing I love about Skyrim is making different character builds and experiencing the game playing different styles. Probably cause I'm an old-time D&D nerd.
Old 02-15-12, 03:34 PM
wlj

i found a good deal on ebay for KoA so I bought it. $44.00 brand new/sealed. that is a pretty killer deal IMHO.
Old 02-15-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i found a good deal on ebay for KoA so I bought it. $44.00 brand new/sealed. that is a pretty killer deal IMHO.
It was just $45 on Amazon a couple days ago
Old 02-15-12, 10:05 PM

I got it for $45 shipped to me at launch from New Egg. Nothing wrong with saving a buck, I suppose, but not exactly an earth-shattering deal either.

Hope you like it, wlj. It's not great, but I think it's sorta fun.

Wish there were a Vita version --I'd like it on the go. Wonder if all the dialog would make that impossible...
Old 02-15-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon just sent me a $20 gift code since I bought it at full price. I'll take it!
Old 02-15-12, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slymer
Amazon just sent me a $20 gift code since I bought it at full price. I'll take it!
came to report just that, I took it
Old 02-16-12, 07:37 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Decker
I got it for $45 shipped to me at launch from New Egg. Nothing wrong with saving a buck, I suppose, but not exactly an earth-shattering deal either.

Hope you like it, wlj. It's not great, but I think it's sorta fun.

Wish there were a Vita version --I'd like it on the go. Wonder if all the dialog would make that impossible...

I am liking the demo, so hopefully i will like the game. If Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't look so sh!tty, I would have probably just preordered that instead, but it looks terrible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.