DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-02-12, 08:13 PM   #226
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC, 360, PS3)

Curt Schilling put up $5m in gold coins as collateral for loan:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-0...fs-tax-credits

More info on the film tax credits that 38 Studios was hoping to get:
http://news.providencejournal.com/br...m-tax-cre.html
Old 06-02-12, 09:46 PM   #227
Setzer
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It didn't have to sell 3 million to break even. From the article I last linked to, the 3 million point would've fulfilled a clause whereby publisher Electronic Arts would start paying a cut to the studio. But the indication is that otherwise the game was successful for 38 Studios in the sense that they successfully sold it to the studio and made their money back (and probably a nice profit).

Reckoning wasn't the problem. The problem was Copernicus was a huge money sink that wasn't generating revenue and needed more funds to be finished.
LINK

That's the article I read. So I guess Chafee was lying.
Old 06-02-12, 10:03 PM   #228
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
LINK

That's the article I read. So I guess Chafee was lying.
That's what the employees say: Chafee was lying or else horribly misinformed:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...tra_Report.php
Quote:
Chafee also publicly claimed 38's first release, the single-player RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, "failed," artificially deflating its sales numbers and suggesting it was a commercial flop -- which it wasn't. It's true that the game didn't sell enough to fulfill a clause whereby publisher Electronic Arts would start paying a cut to the studio, but employees say potential profits for Reckoning were never part of the budgeting plans for 38.
Old 06-02-12, 10:04 PM   #229
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
I will say though that emailing them the day they were to be laid off with a "CYA" was probably not the best way to handle this. If this was going to happen they should have given some notice to at least let the devs get some affairs in order and some resume's out instead of just saying "Hey, you no longer have a job after today, good luck".
Well to be fair, it wasn't that instant. Employees knew that week that things weren't looking good, and I was told people were packing up there stuff days before the actual notice came in. The day the layoff actually came through the office was already closed so it wasn't THAT unexpected.

There's been a lot of job fairs from other studios this last week too. Having been around as other studios close down or have layoffs, other companies are actually super quick about recruiting the newly unemployed.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-03-12, 08:45 PM   #230
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Many of the BHG people are going to be a part of Epic.

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/...uge-solutions/

Old 06-04-12, 02:08 PM   #231
glassdragon
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/...uge-solutions/
It's amazing that they are doing that. I may not always agree with CliffyB but that is an awesome thing for the company that I believe he co-chairs to do.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Psn - glsdragon
Old 06-07-12, 05:03 PM   #232
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

It's official -- 38 studios filed for bankruptcy today. Looks to be a liquidation, not a reorganization.
Old 06-07-12, 06:49 PM   #233
bippitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Since nobody else did...

That's epic!
Old 06-22-12, 05:19 PM   #234
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

From ESPN.com today:

Friday, June 22, 2012
Schilling talks about company crash
ESPN.com news services

BOSTON -- Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said Friday that the collapse of his 38 Studios video game company probably has cost him his entire baseball fortune, and he placed part of the blame on Rhode Island officials, including Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Schilling said during a 90-minute interview on WEEI-FM in Boston that he put more than $50 million of his own money in the company and that he's had to tell his family that "the money I saved during baseball was probably all gone."

"I'm tapped out," he said.

Schilling said he hopes to return to work soon as an analyst for ESPN. He took a leave of absence from the network after 38 Studios filed for bankruptcy protection on June 7. The firm was lured to Providence from Massachusetts in 2010 after Rhode Island offered a $75 million loan guarantee. The state is working to determine how much it's on the hook for after the company's collapse.

Although Schilling conceded that he "absolutely" was part of the reason the company failed, he said public comments made by Chafee last month questioning the firm's solvency were harmful as the firm tried -- but failed -- to raise private capital to stay afloat.

"I think he had an agenda," Schilling said about Chafee.

Chafee vocally opposed the state's loan guarantee to 38 Studios when he was running for governor in 2010. But after it was a done deal, he was the company's "biggest cheerleader," Chafee spokeswoman Christine Hunsinger said Friday. She had no other immediate comments on Schilling's interview.

Schilling also accused Chafee of failing to work with an investor who was willing to put $15 million to $20 million into the company to help it succeed. He said the investor walked away because of Chafee's inaction.

38 Studios laid off its entire workforce -- nearly 300 employees in Providence and more in Maryland -- last month. That move came after it was more than two weeks late on a $1.1 million payment to the state; officials have said that was the first indication the company was in financial trouble.

The firm had sought millions of dollars in tax credits from Rhode Island as it struggled to stay afloat, but Schilling said Friday that he wasn't looking for a bailout.

State and federal authorities, meanwhile, are investigating 38 Studios' finances. Citizens Bank also has sued Schilling to recover $2.4 million in loans it made to 38 Studios.

Schilling, who also pitched for Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia and Arizona, won the World Series three times and is perhaps best remembered for pitching Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series with an injured ankle that stained his sock with blood. He earned just more than $114 million in salary over his 19-year career in the majors.

Schilling said he never took any money from the company, not even a salary. He said the company was close to succeeding but just couldn't raise enough private capital. He also said he never intended to hurt the firm's workers.

"It's been kind of a surreal 60 days, 75 days," Schilling said. "It's crushing and devastating to see it fail the way it did."

Schilling was asked how the company's collapse has affected him personally.

"I don't know. ... It's not over yet," he said. "I would imagine the next foreseeable time in our lives is going to be consumed by this. It's a life-changing thing."

He said life for his family "will probably start to change and be very different for us" in the wake of losing so much.

But he added, "I'm not asking for sympathy. It was my choice. I chose to do this, I wanted to build this, I wanted to create the jobs and create something that had a long-standing, world-changing effect. And we were close. We were close to getting there, and it fell apart."

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 03-07-13, 10:15 AM   #235
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Todd McFarlane recently said in an interview that Project Copernicus was nearly complete.
http://youtu.be/Mgm8c8UCqqg?t=5m18s

Certainly, from a graphics angle, they had a lot of assets already in game, as this fly-through shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUKRUXGfDCo

A few gameplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_wgVsvTBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNg0fJqXRXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H0Qact1J0

And a trailer for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICtQX6DHh2A
Old 03-07-13, 10:23 AM   #236
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, what will the world do with one less WoW clone?!
Old 03-07-13, 11:14 AM   #237
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so this governor was an asshole. But the reason they went under was because they dumped an insane $180 million into a (basically) unproven brand. They could have developed 6 AAA titles for that much money.
Old 08-10-14, 07:59 PM   #238
brainee
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked this up on the cheap (for PS3) earlier in the year and finally had a chance to start playing. After playing 170 hours as a brute Nord warrior in Skyrim, I wanted to go in the exact opposite direction and go with an Elf pretty boy pure mage here. I didn't read detailed player comments, and unfortunately started my game on "Normal" difficulty. I never play games on hard, but after not coming even close to death after ~10 hours of play I had to make the switch here. And it's still way too easy.

Gameplay is ok I guess, but since the action rarely poses any threat to my character things are starting to drag. My level's 24 and I also finished the Teeth of Naros DLC. Normally I accept every possible question in RPGs, but I'm starting to turn down a lot here. That approach works with roleplaying. My guy is on a mission to save the realm. He doesn't have time to collect flowers, track down stuff your dumb-ass lost, or otherwise do the jobs of lazy NPCs. Since I'm playing "good" (not that this game seems to make those choices mean much though), I turn down all theft and assassination requests. I'm only taking side quests that has innocent lives on the line.

The Naros DLC was pretty cool though. I liked the Greek motifs, overall story, and the final boss battle was the only one that has challenged me. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the story and characters in the main story so far. Given the people involved, I was expecting something a little less generic.
Old 08-10-14, 09:24 PM   #239
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game got a lot of good reviews when it came out but following so close to Skyrim's release was its demise.
Old 01-08-15, 02:30 PM   #240
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally got around to playing this game. I am around 6 or 7 hours in on the PC version. The game is a blast. The combat is freaking awesome. I am using a female rogue with faeblades and I am just ripping things to shreds. I like feeling like a bad ass but at the same time, things are too easy at the moment. I always start games on the normal difficulty, but this one is extremely easy at this point. It isn't a big deal now, but eventually i will get bored with just cruising through everything.
Old 01-08-15, 04:53 PM   #241
mhg83
DVD Talk Legend

Bump it up to the highest difficulty. Even on Hard it's ridiculously easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 01-08-15, 06:28 PM   #242
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

I got the collector's edition of this game and never played it.

Someday...
Old 09-06-18, 11:56 AM   #243
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-06-18, 01:02 PM   #244
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Heck yeah, hopefully they re-release on current consoles.
Old 09-06-18, 01:13 PM   #245
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to hear. Despite the craziness with Schilling, this game was pretty good. Stole a lot from WoW but a fun game.