Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
re: The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

This is the first...

Chess and a few others blew their loads over this game - I never got back to the game and only played the beginning on the PS3, which makes me glad because I get to experience everything enhancements on the PS4.
Old 08-02-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
This is the first...

Chess and a few others blew their loads over this game - I never got back to the game and only played the beginning on the PS3, which makes me glad because I get to experience everything enhancements on the PS4.
I didn't really give the game its due at all. I rented it on PS3 months after release from a Red Box, and I didn't try the multiplayer or the DLC story at all. I was a little bit hesitant about the stealth aspects of the game, which turned out to not be a problem at all.

And to make it even worse, I'm holding off buying the PS4 version until a B2G1 or similar.

But yeah, game was amazing. Much respect.
Old 08-02-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts

I guess it is just me getting older but this game and Wolfenstein make me really nervous. I enjoy playing them but they have me on edge. I didn't feel quite this way during the Silent Hill or Resident Evil days. I would get a shock or scare here and there but not feel tense damn near the whole time I was playing. Anyone else feel this way as you have gotten older?
Old 08-02-14, 12:19 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I guess it is just me getting older but this game and Wolfenstein make me really nervous. I enjoy playing them but they have me on edge. I didn't feel quite this way during the Silent Hill or Resident Evil days. I would get a shock or scare here and there but not feel tense damn near the whole time I was playing. Anyone else feel this way as you have gotten older?
I am having the opposite reaction actually...

Finished my first run and started survivor + right away. It is amazing how much easier it is early with your upgrades in place.
Old 08-03-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Trophy rant incoming, so if you don't care about them, you can skip this, lol.

I know I'm way late to the party here, but I didn't play this on PS3 and have ordered it for PS4 and am just getting around to looking at the trophy list. I absolutely HATE trophy lists like this. I like games that reward you for actually playing, not "collecting". I would rather enjoy the story than spend my time looking for random items.

Am I right in that, if I were to just play through the story without purposely fulfilling the trophy requirements, I would end up with one whole trophy? That's ludicrous. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time and my backlog is too full to spend hours searching for collectibles and replaying the game, no matter how much I like it.

Sorry to complain, and I'm sure I'm not the first person, so please just ignore me if you don't care. I just wanted to vent a little.
Old 08-03-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
Trophy rant incoming, so if you don't care about them, you can skip this, lol.

I know I'm way late to the party here, but I didn't play this on PS3 and have ordered it for PS4 and am just getting around to looking at the trophy list. I absolutely HATE trophy lists like this. I like games that reward you for actually playing, not "collecting". I would rather enjoy the story than spend my time looking for random items.

Am I right in that, if I were to just play through the story without purposely fulfilling the trophy requirements, I would end up with one whole trophy? That's ludicrous. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time and my backlog is too full to spend hours searching for collectibles and replaying the game, no matter how much I like it.

Sorry to complain, and I'm sure I'm not the first person, so please just ignore me if you don't care. I just wanted to vent a little.

As far as I remember, it wasn't TOO hard to find all the things you needed. The major problem I had was that once you passed a spot with a collectable item, there was really no way to go back and get it without starting the game over. I believe I missed one collectable, and that fucked me over.
Old 08-03-14, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use chapter select to go back and get the missed ones, can't you?
Old 08-03-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe so, yes. My recommendation is to just play the game through on one difficulty without distracting yourself from the story with collectables, and then play through again in search mode. And then hit the chapter selects for whatever you missed.

I'm assuming you need both difficulties for the platinum anyway, so it works out.

I actually like these kinds of trophies, because they give you another purpose for a second play through.
Old 08-03-14, 10:29 AM
gamer for life

Chapter select can jack up your new game plus so be careful.

My recommendation is play the game on hard and enjoy yourself. Explore and upgrade and take your time. After you beat the game start a new game on survival + (chapter select trick you can read about on trophy sites) and then follow a written collectibles guide. None of the collectibles are really hard to find but you will miss some. I would hate to follow a guide the first time I played this game because it would spoil the experience. After your second run you will have all sp trophies...unless the conversation trophy glitches like it did for me and my friend. Also by doing hard the first time and then survival the second you will feel like you are playing a different game and it will be fun and fresh again. (it also takes away your listen mode which is actually fun not having)

Game is better the second time I played it by far. (almost done with my 3rd run now) It is so good.
Old 08-03-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Naughty Dog always screws the trophies up royally - it's kind of their thing.

For those who own a Pulse Elite or Gold wireless headset, do yourself a favor and download the new TLoU setting in the headphone app, which was just updated. It pumps up the ambient noise a lot, which at first is a little weird, like you have bionic ears, but once you get used to it, it gets pretty creepy and suspenseful.
Old 08-03-14, 08:42 PM
gamer for life

good call on the gold headset download...makes a huge difference..

Finished my survivor + run...such a great game..
Old 08-03-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
For those who own a Pulse Elite or Gold wireless headset, do yourself a favor and download the new TLoU setting in the headphone app, which was just updated. It pumps up the ambient noise a lot, which at first is a little weird, like you have bionic ears, but once you get used to it, it gets pretty creepy and suspenseful.
Do you really want me to shit my pants? I don't know if my heart can take it.
Old 08-03-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Just started playing the PS4 version (got a little more than half-way on the PS3 version before life got in the way, then sold it to get this), and it plays just like I remember. Without seeing the two versions side by side, it's difficult to tell a difference, but I do notice the better frame-rate. I do have to say that the game is so oppressively bleak, that it's difficult to have "fun" with it.
Old 08-04-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's because it's art.
Old 08-04-14, 08:58 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by slop101
Just started playing the PS4 version (got a little more than half-way on the PS3 version before life got in the way, then sold it to get this), and it plays just like I remember. Without seeing the two versions side by side, it's difficult to tell a difference, but I do notice the better frame-rate. I do have to say that the game is so oppressively bleak, that it's difficult to have "fun" with it.
first time I played it I felt the same way. Because I got better at the game, it felt less bleak the second run. Also, those moments when you are between fights are so special because you feel like you can breath.
Old 08-04-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Tonight I'll finally see what all the hype is on the game and cannot wait. I never played any of the Uncharted series either but seems like Naughty Dog is excited about Uncharted 4 next year...

With TLOU: Remastered, Naughty Dog Just Scratch PS4 Capability, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Will Look Even Better: Dev

Naughty Dog Community Manager Arne Meyer has further clarified to what extent The Last of Us: Remastered pushed capability of PS4 and how Uncharted 4: A Thief's End looks in comparison. In a recent interview to our friend at Metro, Meyer stated that when it comes to pushing Playstation 4 with The Last of Us: Remastered, Naughty Dog has just scratch the surface and the game is just a showcase how good the studio can do and how far they can push its capability.

I think we’re just scratching the surface. Obviously this isn’t our first game that’s been developed purely for the PS4, so I think for us this is a great proof of concept that,‘Here’s the first foundation of how good we can do it and how far we can push it’. And that’s without doing something that’s made ground-up for the PS4.

He further added that Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will look even better than The Last of Us: Remastered on Playstation 4 as it has been develop from ground up for PS4.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15674-tl...-4-thiefs.html
Old 08-04-14, 09:31 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Tonight I'll finally see what all the hype is on the game and cannot wait.

1: Lower your expectations. This game, after a powerful opening, takes its time getting under your skin.

2: take your time. Think about everything you are going to do. If you can avoid a fight, or use a stealth takedown do it. Ammo and supplies are rare (unless you play easy) so search every nook. A single rag in the corner of a room can be all the difference.

3: Play the game on hard your first time. Normal is ok as well, but Hard is a perfect starting point. Try to use your listen mode as little as possible, and if you have a headset use the sound in the game to figure out enemy placements.
Old 08-04-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chess
That's because it's art.
Exactly, and then it stops being a game.
You finally understand!
Old 08-04-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Exactly, and then it stops being a game.
You finally understand!
Was just a joke.
Old 08-04-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chess
Was just a joke.
I know, same here.
Old 08-04-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wish you were enjoying it more slop.

It's definitely a depressing setting, but that kind of comes with the territory. I generally prefer something more gamey and upbeat myself, but I'm also really glad and really proud that there's something this grounded and, yes, artful in gaming.
Old 08-04-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I have to switch back&forth between this and Mario 3D Land just so things don't get too oppressive. The exploring and the "breathing spaces" between encounters are definitely the best parts of the game - although it does feel pretty good when you take out a big group of grunts using mostly stealth.
Old 08-05-14, 08:44 AM
gamer for life

the dlc left behind was actually very enjoyable. That last fight was harder than I thought it would be....
Old 08-05-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Quick question for a TLoU newb : What skill should I unlock first? Health? Improved hearing?
Old 08-05-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how you are playing.

If you want to play guns out, killing most of the zombies/monster (don't try to kill all, they respawn in some parts), then health.

If you want to hide most of the time, there are some parts where you have to kill, or you don't advance, then improved hearing.

There are some parts of the game where you are fighting mostly humans, so I don't know if that will impact your choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.