Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

Originally Posted by glassdragon
You guys are all missing my point completely. For NOW it's fun, but how fun is it going to be in 5 games when the game looks exactly the same and for all we know has the exact same bugs/annoyances as the last one because they figure "Who cares if we make it better, millions will still buy it anyways". Everyone is thinking too much in the now instead of the future. I gave madden as an example only because they are at the point now that I see MW being at in 5 years which is sad. I don't really want to see the franchise die or get destroyed, I actually like it as it is now.

If people stop supporting something that is starting to take a slow downturn then maybe they will say "We need to step it up" or maybe they'll just kill it, but honestly I would rather see it die all together than get to a point where the game is annoying and not fun.
We absolutely are, it's a videogame, who gives a damn whats coming down the line in a series, it's about entertainment here and now.

If the games get too heavily recycled, I'll stop playing them and move on to something else. CoD is a fun series but it isn't the holy grail of gaming, if it fades away so be it, something else will take its place.
Old 11-09-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
And when they start trying to cash in like they did with Tony Hawk people will tire of the product, and it will lose its value.

I was scared about this game because of the whole Infinity Ward situation. Yes, this does feel like MW2, but with enough different that I am loving it. I'm just having fun playing multiplayer. I enjoyed prestiging in MW2. I don't think I prestiged once in Black Ops. I think I'm done with Treyarch so if they put out a good enough update once every 2 years, I can't be too upset.
I honestly really do hope it stays like that as I have played all of them and had a lot of fun doing so (Although a campaign over 5 hours would be nice since I don't do MP). I am more worried that Activision is going to ruin this. They are very good at ruining good franchises without even blinking an eye. I'm going to get a copy in a couple of days to see how it is. At this point I certainly don't think it's being ruined, but if they get too cocky, it could happen is all I mean.

Originally Posted by RichC2
We absolutely are, it's a videogame, who gives a damn whats coming down the line in a series, it's about entertainment here and now.
If the games get too heavily recycled, I'll stop playing them and move on to something else. CoD is a fun series but it isn't the holy grail of gaming, if it fades away so be it, something else will take its place.
That's great, and I agree but to some people it IS the holy grail of gaming, for a lot of people actually. Those people aren't going to move on as easily as you or I can.
Old 11-09-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The difference between Madden and CoD is that CoD is fun -- even though it's heavily recycled, it's fun. Madden is frustrating and disappointing -- mostly because it's trying to be real.
Old 11-09-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598
Will there be more Hardened Editions made available later? I didn't preorder, and hope to pick one up - but I don't mind waiting if more will be released
Neither of the last two CoD games had any further Hardened editions released after launch and the Black Ops Hardened was scarce at launch, so I'd guess it's a manufactured scarcity on their part.
Don't even bother trying to find a copy unless you find one at MSRP and really want all the maps and Elite features because I'm pretty disappointed with this Hardened package. Box is comically huge and full of air and packaging. Field journal is beat up appearing (for authenticity, but looks used) and hard to read. Steelbook is alright but nothing spectacular. Card is .... a card. As someone else said, its bragging rights and that's about all.
Old 11-09-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just saying that if they did it here then how much more is recycled. The whole point of a new game would be new assets, if they can't even be bothered to make new assets then it worries me about the game, and the future of the game.

A lot of people are blasting this for being almost the exact same as MW2 which makes sense now. I mean I'll still play it, but I'm renting it and not buying. I can't really support that kind of laziness. Especially since it will likely get worse if no one says anything.
That's such bullshit. I'm returning my copy. I will not stand for this type of corner-cutting!!!
Old 11-09-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ prepare to return your car, stove, microwave, TV, etc... everybody reuses parts or data. It's inherent to being efficient and making money on things that "shouldn't" turn off the customer.
Old 11-09-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Ok, that's fine, but in 5 years when MW7 comes out and it's pretty much the exact same models as MW6 you'll know that it's because people kept supporting lazy practices until they just release 60 dollar expansions every year. It's the start of a slippery slope is all I'm saying, and Activision could care less. They have no issue destroying franchises just as EA doesn't, that is why I'm not a fan of either.

I'm not shitting on the game at all, not even close since you seem to be getting offended (lol). I will still play it, just don't think it bodes well with their future, on top of the other issues the game is starting to show.
I agree completely. It seems incredibly lazy for a game that will make a kazillion dollars (and other currency) to recycle old buildings.
Old 11-09-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I apologize that I posted and won't again. It has been made perfectly clear to me that most of the people in this thread would buy the game even if they just took Modern Warfare 3 and changed the 3 on the box to release it as Modern Warfare 4. I apologize for wanting a higher quality standard from a billion dollar franchise.
Old 11-09-11, 10:26 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is a Xbox Live issue or with the game, but I was receiving NO notices from friends playing the game.

It started with a party invite that I took and it took me to a party where I knew nobody. I left and never received another invite or message. I only know people tried because once I closed the game for the night I had a few messages saying to accept the invite.

Anyone else?
Old 11-09-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played the game for several hours and I'm very disappointed with the MP. It feels EXACTLY like MW2. In fact, I popped MW2 in just to see if I was imagining things. I'm not. It does look better, and I do like the leveling up system for the guns. But in the end, I don't know if it merits another $60 investment. I bought this copy for my son, figuring I'd get my own in the next day or two, but I don't know.

One of the major complaints I had about BO was how you would have to pump a clip into someone before they died. I'm having the complete opposite experience here. I turn the corner and a guy with a SMG kills me in one shot. I also don't know what's going on but it seems like my opponents always get their guns up way faster than I do.

While I will readily admit that I wasn't exactly dominating, I had a pretty decent .84 kill/death ratio and yet I was a pathetic 3 wins and 24 losses in matches. I dont' know if it's the matching system or what, but getting your ass kicked EVERY match takes the fun out of it for me. At some point, you would think the system would put you on a team with a few bad asses.

I've loved every single COD since the very first one I played on my PC, but this one seems like a FAIL. I'm not an Activision hater, or a COD hater or any kind of hater. This game is just not fun.
Old 11-09-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This argument is kind of silly.

So what if MW3 is only incremental steps better than previous versions? When people tire of baby steps, the franchise will die.

Call of Duty and Madden do this, sell millions of copies anyway. Who cares? Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero do this, and people stop buying them. The marketplace will sort this stuff out.
Old 11-09-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm GLAD it feels like mw2! Great game. Can't wait to play it.
Old 11-09-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
One of the major complaints I had about BO was how you would have to pump a clip into someone before they died. I'm having the complete opposite experience here. I turn the corner and a guy with a SMG kills me in one shot. I also don't know what's going on but it seems like my opponents always get their guns up way faster than I do.
Let me guess: your connection only gets three bars. Three bars, to me and a lot of other people that I've read, seems WAY worse in MW3 than in MW2. I had three bars in MW2 and it never seemed to hurt me, but it is really bad in MW3.
Old 11-09-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This series really needs to decide whether it wants me to search every corner for hidden collectibles or HURRY! MOVE! RUN! to the next objective.
Old 11-09-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Leveling up is pretty fast... already 20 at the moment.
You're not kidding. I've only played for a little over an hour and I'm around 13 or 14 IIRC.

Also, for people that have prestiged in past games, check the prestige store. You should have a token for each game you prestiged in. You can use the token for things such as 2 hours of double XP, double weapon xp, etc.
Old 11-09-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone have any luck signing into Elite? Once I was finally able to log in it showed a psn network ID linked to my account that wasn't even mine.

I got that straightened out, but if I look at my service record it doesn't show any of my game info from yesterday.
Old 11-09-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't get my mic to work last night... nor could I hear anyone (which is fine). Anyone else have that issue on Live?
Old 11-09-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I have come to realize there are certain truths about CoD that we just have to deal with:

There's always going to be someone better than you whether it's true and they play 24/7 or they just think they're better.

There will always be someone with some type of "joint" or "420" or "stoner" in their name in your party or against you.

Nobody will ever kill you legitimately. You will always claim you shot them first.

There will always be some kid (or someone using the voice changer) in the party that says "fuck" a few times for no reason. "Fuuuck, I have school tomorrow." "Fuuuucker with that gun."

Someone's cell phone will always ring.

Someone's dog will always bark.

Someone will always be playing music and/or breathing hard.

Someone will always have their volume up too loud so you hear everything twice. "Enemy UAV in the air. Enemy UAV in the air."

Someone will always talk about how much better this is than Black Ops or World at War, and how much they loved MW2.

Someone will always go around knifing everyone and either be too good at it, or shitty at it, and leave the party.
Old 11-09-11, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tried out a friend's copy for a while...I think I'll do the campaign and try some of the co-op stuff, but I'm realizing I just really don't like playing with groups of people online anymore. For many of the reasons nickdawgy mentions, but honestly I'm just sick of competing with everybody and having them get all pissy. In my "real life" I'm competing with people every day, in my downtime I think I now prefer just doing things at my own pace and relaxing. (which is probably why I'm looking forward to Skyrim and Saint's Row the most...)
Old 11-09-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone has played Hardcore Team Deathmatch mutiplayer, does it have the three-team kills and you get booted system like Black Ops?
Old 11-09-11, 12:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

team kills are much more relaxed. 3 kills they make you sit in the penalty box a few more seconds before respawning but no booting.
Old 11-09-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I have come to realize there are certain truths about CoD that we just have to deal with:

There's always going to be someone better than you whether it's true and they play 24/7 or they just think they're better.

There will always be someone with some type of "joint" or "420" or "stoner" in their name in your party or against you.

Nobody will ever kill you legitimately. You will always claim you shot them first. (I did shoot them first!)

There will always be some kid (or someone using the voice changer) in the party that says "fuck" a few times for no reason. "Fuuuck, I have school tomorrow." "Fuuuucker with that gun." (I curse way too much.)

Someone's cell phone will always ring.

Someone's dog will always bark.

Someone will always be playing music and/or breathing hard. (Definitely true.)

Someone will always have their volume up too loud so you hear everything twice. "Enemy UAV in the air. Enemy UAV in the air." (That's my buddy, and it annoys me to no end.)

Someone will always talk about how much better this is than Black Ops or World at War, and how much they loved MW2. (Guilty on this one.)

Someone will always go around knifing everyone and either be too good at it, or shitty at it, and leave the party.
The one thing I don't like is they took BO's position and you can now have party chat in Team Deathmatch. I know trash talking can get annoying, but I want that team element there. It's nice when you find a good group of people. How can you ever expand your friend's list when everyone goes into private parties?

Also for those knife haters, I definitely think they gimped the knife. I have been "saved" by my knife maybe 5% of the time when I was being shot at. Most of the time, I'm getting killed in that situation. I definitely have to adjust my play style to account for that.

To the person above who mentioned the lack of invites from the in-game menu, I think I had the same issue. I send the invite from my friend's list now. That still always seems to work.
Old 11-09-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Oh, also yes, three bars is not good in this game. I find it much harder to get kills when you don't have a good fully green bar lobby.
Old 11-09-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I apologize that I posted and won't again. It has been made perfectly clear to me that most of the people in this thread would buy the game even if they just took Modern Warfare 3 and changed the 3 on the box to release it as Modern Warfare 4. I apologize for wanting a higher quality standard from a billion dollar franchise.
I think the changes made in MW3 were just enough. There are some cool new features and game modes. I think switching from IW & Treyarch every year keeps the game changing enough. I played Black Ops throughout the entire year up to Monday evening. I wanted to pop in MW2 just to get some IW practice but never got to it. When I started playing MW3, it felt so fresh & new compared to the last year of BO...quite refreshing, just as BO was a totally new feel than MW2 the year before.
Old 11-09-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished first campaign playthrough. Meh...I won't be holding onto this one long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.