Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Homefront...March 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Homefront...March 2011

Looking forward to this one... The commercials for it have me excited so I guess theyre doing something right.
Old 01-20-11, 09:46 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel this will be a game that is 39 bucks real quick, so I think I will hold off as well...
Old 01-20-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Looking forward to this one... The commercials for it have me excited so I guess theyre doing something right.
I agree. The video interview is enough in itself to have me excited about the prospects for this game. I have a good feeling about it. As long as they nail the gameplay....and multi-player for the online crowd...this could turn into the surprise hit of the year.
Old 01-22-11, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I've seen a lot of pre-game trailers and footage on some games that looked great but after the game came out all went downhill. On the other side I've seen footage with so-so graphics, short, not make sense and when the game came out it was a hit...(can you say Borderlands).

The real tell sign will be a week before and a week after the release. Especially any pre-views from well known sites. Plenty games came in with lots of hype but all the way up to the day it was released nothing...Damnation, Kane & Lynch, MOH:Airborne, Alien vs Predator...and we know how they turned out. It's still on my "Watch List" for now.
Old 01-22-11, 10:32 AM
gamer for life

The footage of the developer actually playing the game has me not wanting to buy the game. It did not impress at all.
Old 01-23-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I assume everyone knows of the new footage up over at Gamestop ith Dev comment and Multiplayer in game. I'm not aware of to many games out there where one has access to a varaity of weapons plus helicopters, tanks and drones in places like a normal neighbohood and mall parking lots.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...&mode=previews
Old 01-23-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I assume everyone knows of the new footage up over at Gamestop ith Dev comment and Multiplayer in game. I'm not aware of to many games out there where one has access to a varaity of weapons plus helicopters, tanks and drones in places like a normal neighbohood and mall parking lots.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...&mode=previews
I hate work...will have to look at this later. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-25-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pre-ordered this when goHasting had it listed at $29.99 (price mistake) and yes, they will honor it (got the e-mail saying so).

For those of you interested, BB has this game up for pre-order and you get a headset free.
Old 01-26-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The product placement in the game actually looks pretty cool. Having a firefight at a White Castle is cool and it helps add a little bit more realism than say a Burger Shot or Cluckin' Bell.
Old 02-21-11, 11:19 AM

I just preordered this on Sunday, hope this game turns out to be good. The 32 player Multiplayer will be total mayham lol.
Old 02-23-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking forward to this, but will probably wait until the first price drop. I don't have time to play many games these days.
Old 03-03-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe this wasn't the best way to advertise. Or was it? They don't mention the name of the game, but it's obviously Homefront:

San Francisco -- A publicity stunt for a new warfare-based video game sent local environmentalists to arms when a mass of balloons carrying advertisements for the game cascaded into San Francisco Bay.

"When I looked out the window and saw thousands of balloons dropping straight into the bay, I was flabbergasted," said Rod Fujita, a senior oceans scientist for the Environmental Defense Fund. "I never expected to see something like this in San Francisco, where there's such concern about the bay and pollution."

The release of the 10,000 ill-fated red balloons came courtesy of THQ, a Southern California video game company in town for the Game Developers Conference at Moscone Center.

Because the game is set in a near-future where the United States is invaded by nuclear-armed troops from North Korea, the company staged a mock lunchtime rally at Yerba Buena Gardens where the game's supporters, in the words of the company's news release, "will take to the streets to demonstrate against the North Korean regime and the treatment of its citizens."

The staged rally was capped by the massive balloon launch, designed, the company said, to "simulate a method used by South Korea to send messages of hope to the North."

The "messages of hope" carried by these balloons, however, amounted to an exclusive offer from GameStop video game store allowing gamers to "receive the resistance multi-player pack, featuring an exclusive weapon."

Even that message didn't get too far. While the balloons at first soared into the leaden gray skies above the city, wind and rain quickly sent thousands of them plunging into the bay, only blocks away.

"They were just dropping right out of the sky into the water," Fujita said.

Pictures of the balloons bobbing on the bay quickly made their way onto social media sites like Facebook and Flickr, as angry environmentalists blasted the stunt in e-mails and on Twitter.

"Obviously, we have a problem with polluting of the bay and this is just polluting and littering," said Amy Ricard, a spokeswoman for the environmental group Save the Bay.

"Your balloon campaign was a stupid thing to do to a city surrounded on three sides by water," one San Francisco resident said in an e-mail to GameStop. "You should be held accountable for the waste."

The companies quickly went to damage control.

"We understand the concerns consumers have regarding the impact balloons can have on the environment," read a statement released by GameStop. "However, the balloon drop stunt in San Francisco was created by THQ ... and Game-Stop had no prior knowledge of it."

A statement from THQ assured concerned bayside residents that the balloons released "were made from a 100% organic product and are 100% biodegradable," with no history of causing environmental pollution.

But just in case, the statement continued, "we've retained a clean up crew to remove any potential lingering debris."

Environmental groups remained concerned about potential danger to the bay and its sea life and the ocean.

"Even biodegradable products take a while to disappear," Fujita said.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAU11I2LER.DTL
Old 03-03-11, 04:36 PM
gamer for life

at least they did not actually parachute a bunch of Koreans into the bay with fake guns like they wanted to....
Old 03-03-11, 05:07 PM

looks awesome first review is out playstation magazine italy gave it a 9/10
Old 03-03-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

If Playstation Magazine Italia says it's good, I'm buying!

Actually, FWIW : Joystiq absolutely hated the SP campaign. They liked the MP a lot better however.
Old 03-03-11, 07:26 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Joystiq absolutely hated the SP campaign.
That review reminds me of their previous game Frontlines: Fuel Of War. It lacked a lot of the polish that's expected from current gen FPS games. Enemy AI was stupid and easily predictable. It seemed like the SP campaign was just a long tutorial for the MP game.
Old 03-03-11, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
If Playstation Magazine Italia says it's good, I'm buying!

Actually, FWIW : Joystiq absolutely hated the SP campaign. They liked the MP a lot better however.
You should have posted the latest SP preview article from Joystiq where they said that they had made almost a complete turnaround since his first preview.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/22/homefront-preview/
Old 03-03-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Wow. I totally missed that article. Thanks for that link.
Old 03-09-11, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good sign this game is going to rock....

http://www.fudzilla.com/games/item/2...d-to-be-strong
Old 03-09-11, 11:28 AM

I have this game on pre-order and I'm starting to get concerned. I'm thinking about using my pre-order money to get NBA 2k11 instead.

dJones I can't view that link, is there anyways you can post some of the text?
Old 03-09-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by House
I have this game on pre-order and I'm starting to get concerned. I'm thinking about using my pre-order money to get NBA 2k11 instead.

Originally Posted by http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/22/homefront-preview/

I was not impressed by Homefront's single-player campaign when I first previewed it three months ago. Apparently, Kaos Studios took notice. With the game's release only a month away, an updated preview build -- covering the first three levels of the story mode -- has been sent out to press, and I was shocked to find that nearly every complaint I had with the older build has been addressed. Add in its compelling multiplayer component, and Homefront just might have what it takes to survive in the ultra-competitive FPS market.

Homefront's core narrative as it's imagined in the gameworld is still every bit as arresting in the updated build. Witnessing the game's North Korean occupation of Anytown, USA for the second time was no less brutal to bear. Civilians are rounded up and executed, with the cries of newly orphaned children coldly ignored. It's hard to imagine that the gravitas of the game's opening moments could carry on throughout the story, but Homefront manages to keep this momentum going. In the next two levels, you'll go through a detainment camp, the ruins of a school and a garbage dump ... filled with dead bodies.

Most noticeably, Kaos has implemented design changes to make firefights more dynamic. In the previous build, it was easy to just camp in a corner and wait for enemies to dumbly walk into your line of fire. Simply put, the AI was inadequate. In the new build, however, I found that confrontations no longer devolved into these mindless traps. Enemy spawn points were no longer apparent in the three levels I played, and enemies themselves were much more adept at using the environment for cover, in turn making me a more engaged player. Instead of camping, I was now moving about, looking for opportunities to flank.

Partner AI has been considerably improved as well. Before, I was tempted to shoot at my squad mates, if only to get them to shut up. Now, Kaos has tweaked them into characters I actually care about. Their banter is less frequent, more varied and actually integral to the experience at hand. Gone are the sort of absurd, disconnected back-patting lines like "Nice kill!" and in their place is dialog more appropriate to the situation: "We've got to get the fuck out of here!" Your squad mates' newfound ability to assist you in combat by actually killing some enemies makes them seem that much more human in this new build.

I'm impressed by how much Kaos has improved the Homefront campaign in just a few months' time. (In fact, Uncharted is the only other game I've seen improved so drastically in the course of its development.) And while most of my initial qualms have been addressed (including the once awful Korean voice acting!), there are still some rough edges that Kaos needs to work out. Some mission objectives are not well communicated, for example, and it's only after trial and error that it becomes clear what you need to do. The explosives in the third level seemed to kill me ... a lot. Am I supposed to shoot them as my squad mates walk by them? Because that's how I beat the level.

From a visual perspective, the Xbox 360 build I played was serviceable. It's definitely not one of the better looking games on the console: The framerate wasn't quite smooth and the texture work leaves a lot to be desired. Not much can be done about this, and Homefront simply isn't going to match the technical achievements of current benchmarks, -- like Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 -- though the art direction helps to sell the dystopian, but familiar, look that Homefront is trying to achieve.

A few months ago, I was ready to dismiss Homefront's single-player campaign entirely. But after playing this updated build, I'm suddenly eager to continue playing. The drastic changes implemented by Kaos have renewed my curiosity about the final product.
Old 03-09-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Word floating around the net is that the campaign clocks in around 5 hours. I was going to buy but that is too short for me. I always take a couple hours longer than the reviews say but 7-8 is still going to be short. It used to be 8-10 hours was considered kinda short but it seems like that number keeps dropping. I'm still going to give it a go as a rental.
Old 03-09-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by House

Here it is...

THQ projected to ship 1.5 million copies for launch
The early reviews have been strong and the buzz about Homefront continues to grow. THQ has already confirmed that it is the most pre-ordered title in the company’s history. Now we are learn that industry analyst, Colin Sebastian from Lazard Capital, is projecting that THQ will ship 1.5 million units at launch.

With an initial shipment of 1.5 million units at launch other analysts that we have spoken with suggest that they are expecting a strong launch for the title as the word gets out among more gamers and sales continue. THQ is doing their part with a full media assault which will do nothing but help the sale of the title.

There was some concern about a report that the campaign story mode offers only about 5 hours of game play; but it appears not to be a problem, as the strong multiplayer will give the title staying power. Whispers from those that have finished the story claim to have been blown away, and were left wanting more. This is always a good sign in our book.

If Homefront has a smooth launch and the reviews continue to be as positive as they have been so far, we are projecting that this title could be a big success for publisher THQ and could establish a solid franchise for the title going forward. We only have a week left to see how this title does, but things are looking good for developer Kaos studios which has a lot riding on the success of this title.
Old 03-09-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing is, nowadays, every high profile game is discounted to $40 within two to four weeks of release. It just happened with Bulletstorm. It makes it really hard for me to buy any game immediately at launch for full price.

If the public response and impressions are good, I'll get this when it inevitably hits $40.
Old 03-09-11, 06:23 PM

Where is Bulletstorm available for $40 at? I just checked BestBuy, Gamestop, and Target's websites and they were all full price still.

The latest preview from Joystiq is giving me some hope, but I don't like the sound of 5 hour campaign. I hope you are right and the game will drop to $40 in a few weeks after launch.

Hmm so maybe I'll get Crysis 2 instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.