Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Homefront...March 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Homefront...March 2011

I was ready to PO this but I've got buy a new 12 month Live card and a deal on a new 250HD came up that I've put off for a long, long time came up. Since the BS with GR: Future Soldier came up Homefront was the frontrunner. Oh well...watch and read the reviews then hope for next month. I do think this will be a solid game.
Old 03-09-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by House
Where is Bulletstorm available for $40 at? I just checked BestBuy, Gamestop, and Target's websites and they were all full price still.
It was a one-day sale at Amazon on Monday.
Old 03-10-11, 02:05 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Word floating around the net is that the campaign clocks in around 5 hours.
Here's a response from Kaos on their Homefront forum:

The upside is the truth is that everyone plays the game at different speeds. On average our testers took closer to 8 hours. Some finished faster, some slower. It's really difficult to put a number on it. Really good players who familiarize themselves quickly and want to get through it -- sure, I can see it going 5 hours. Most take longer though.
Well yes, of course there is no 'upside' for those folks seeking solely an SP game with a super long play time. We made both. That's our game. SP AND MP. It was A LOT to pack into this game. I was just saying it's not really '5 hours' per say ... and that it is REALLY hard to put a number on it like that. But hey, if those reviewers took 5 hours .. I believe it, all they do all day is play games. The average gamer will take much longer and some super experienced gamers will probably do it even faster. It just depends. Our goal wasn't to make a game for the SP gamer, nor a game for the MP gamer ... our goal was to make both. I think we do so very very well. But I'm bias! You'll have to let us know what you think!
http://community.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/3483
Old 03-10-11, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is Bulletstorm available for $40 at? I just checked BestBuy, Gamestop, and Target's websites and they were all full price still.

The latest preview from Joystiq is giving me some hope, but I don't like the sound of 5 hour campaign. I hope you are right and the game will drop to $40 in a few weeks after launch.

Hmm so maybe I'll get Crysis 2 instead.
House....I am from the old school where the easy difficulty is not an option. There are so many people out there these days playing on the easiest difficulty setting and complaining about how games are too short and too easy. I recently popped in Killzone 2. I originally played thru this game on the hardest level then played on normal. I started off this game on the easiest level recently and not only was it too easy....it was not very enjoyable at all. But there are people out there who simply want to storm through a game then feel some type of accomplishment because they beat the game. People like to use the excuse they do not have the time in their day to play on the harder levels etc. etc..... Most who play on easy simply suck at playing video games. Every time I see people saying it only took them X amount of hours to get through a game, I truly take that with a grain of salt. I play through the same game and feel completely satisfied with the gaming experience. From what I have been reading about Homefront, I believe this is going to be a great game.
Old 03-10-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by djones6746
House....I am from the old school where the easy difficulty is not an option. There are so many people out there these days playing on the easiest difficulty setting and complaining about how games are too short and too easy. I recently popped in Killzone 2. I originally played thru this game on the hardest level then played on normal. I started off this game on the easiest level recently and not only was it too easy....it was not very enjoyable at all. But there are people out there who simply want to storm through a game then feel some type of accomplishment because they beat the game. People like to use the excuse they do not have the time in their day to play on the harder levels etc. etc..... Most who play on easy simply suck at playing video games. Every time I see people saying it only took them X amount of hours to get through a game, I truly take that with a grain of salt. I play through the same game and feel completely satisfied with the gaming experience. From what I have been reading about Homefront, I believe this is going to be a great game.
I play on easy because I genuinely don't have time (anyone with kids and a job knows I'm not exaggerating) -it's not a lame "excuse" I use to justify that I suck at gaming. I'm sure I do suck at gaming compared to most people but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If a game clocks in at five hours on SP and rocks, im in over a game that is below average for forty hours.
Old 03-10-11, 07:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Every time a first-person shooter is released, someone tries to rush through it as quickly as possible just so they can bitch and complain, starting an internet rumor.

My times usually end up being at least 2-3 hours longer than theirs. I'll play Homefront on its hardest difficulty for those achievements, so I'm sure it'll take a little while longer, depending on difficulty. Perhaps 8-10 hours, which is decent. I won't bother going back through for the 'beat chapter without using checkpoints or dying' achievements, though.

Just going to rent it.
Old 03-10-11, 08:02 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wick
Every time a first-person shooter is released, someone tries to rush through it as quickly as possible just so they can bitch and complain, starting an internet rumor.

My times usually end up being at least 2-3 hours longer than theirs. I'll play Homefront on its hardest difficulty for those achievements, so I'm sure it'll take a little while longer, depending on difficulty. Perhaps 8-10 hours, which is decent. I won't bother going back through for the 'beat chapter without using checkpoints or dying' achievements, though.

Just going to rent it.
you are right...9 times of 10 this happens...I find that the company that makes the game will add 2 hours and those that play it early take away 2..lol

Recent experiences...

DLC for Dead Space 2: Heard it was 30 minutes, took me 67 minutes
Bulletstorm: Heard it was 4-6 hours, took me 8-9 hours

But once in a while they buzz is right... I heard Kane and Lynch 2 was going to be 8 or more hours before it came out, and people who played it early said it was a 4 hour game. I played it on one step below Extreme, and the first time I beat it in 3 hours and 12 minutes..I played it a second time on normal to grab some achievements, and ran through it in 2 hours and 12 minutes (both timed)
Old 03-10-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Killzone 3 was the opposite, no one was bitching about it's length and some said it was around 8 hours, took me just under 5, and I was taking my time.

Thing with Homefront is that they're not at all denying it's brevity. I would much rather have a longer campaign (as long as it's not padded out) and a less robust multiplayer (if that's their excuse) - mostly since mutliplayer lives and dies by it's community, which 9/10 times always dies.
Old 03-10-11, 11:08 AM

How do you guys think the lenght of this game will compare with MW2 or BO? If it's about the same as those then I'm fine with it.
Old 03-13-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/468...-potential-hit

New article on yahoo today.....IMO..this game is looking very promising!!!
Old 03-13-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

That "article" reads more like a cheesy advertisement than anything else.
Honestly, the game looks about as bland as a shooter these days can look.
Old 03-13-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm still debating this one. The lack of a split-screen mode means that it won't have a very long shelf life in my house so I either A) Buy it with the $10 kickback from Amazon, power through the way too short SP, then sell it for around what I paid or, B) Wait for the inevitable price drop. I'll likely go the first route like I did with Medal of Honor as I'm a sucker for this type of storyline.
Old 03-13-11, 08:46 PM

I placed the pre-order. I'm sure it'll be in the $30-$40 range within a month or two. And probably in the $20 bin by the end of summer. But I love this type of game.
Old 03-14-11, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by djones6746
http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/468...-potential-hit

New article on yahoo today.....IMO..this game is looking very promising!!!
errr it's blocked by my works firewall. What does it say?
Old 03-14-11, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
That "article" reads more like a cheesy advertisement than anything else.
Honestly, the game looks about as bland as a shooter these days can look.
Old 03-14-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

errr it's blocked by my works firewall. What does it say?
Spoiler:
It's already been a busy year for shooters, but publisher THQ thinks they found the formula for first-person success in the upcoming -- and somewhat controversial -- Homefront.

Due out March 15 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, the game imagines a fallen America in 2027. Players, as you might expect, will join the resistance and fight their way across the country to win back America's freedom.

Left there, it would be a pretty formulaic shooter -- but THQ has amped things up with a politically-charged back story and pulled in screenwriter John Milius, who penned the similarly themed film "Red Dawn" (as well as "Apocalypse Now," "Clear and Present Danger" and "Conan the Barbarian"), to handle the plot behind the game's single-player campaign.

Playing on some of today's biggest political fears, the game focuses on the military force that could come from a unified North and South Korea. Following the death of Kim Jong Il, the game supposes his son manages to bring the countries together, creating an unparalleled global force.

Meanwhile, the economic crisis in the U.S. has gotten worse. The dollar has collapsed, gas prices are near $20 a gallon and the nation is unable to help defend its allies as the Korean army advances. After crippling the U.S. with an electromagnetic pulse, the Unified Korean Army begins to occupy the country, turning high school stadiums into detention centers and shopping malls into parking lots for armored attack vehicles.

Gamers, so far, seem eager to give Homefront a try. THQ says the title is the most preordered game in the company's history, with 200,000 reservations in the U.S. alone. Analysts predict the game will ship 1.5 million copies in its first month. That's significantly better outlook than THQ's other recent efforts, which include de Blob 2 and WWE: All Stars.

There are some concerns, though. PlayStation 3 Magazine reports the single-player campaign, which is where THQ has focused the bulk of its marketing efforts, is just five hours long - short by today's gaming standards. (The magazine still gave the game a 9/10 score, though, noting that "Homefront is relentlessly brutal and constantly puts you in new, unusual and memorable scenarios, varying the pace to keep things interesting.")

THQ has certainly done its part with an 'interesting' marketing plan. A truck distributing free tacos around the San Francisco area for the past couple of weeks has been well-received (free tacos, after all), as did a team-up with game streaming service OnLive, which is giving users a free $99 game system when they preorder Homefront through the service. However, a publicity stunt that resulted in 10,000 red balloons landing in the San Francisco Bay backfired, angering environmentalists.

Given that this is the first title in what THQ hopes will be a strong franchise (they're already planning a sequel), no one's expecting it to pull in sales numbers like Halo or Call of Duty. Still, Wall St. analysts say it seems to have the pieces in place to potentially become a major new player.

"THQ doesn't need it to be a Halo for it to be wildly successful," says Eric Handler, managing director of MKM Partners. "It's all relative. That being said, I think it's got a shot. The buzz seems like this is a differentiated type of game. There are some unique elements [and] all of the buzz seems to be quite good. ... Halo didn't become this big thing overnight. There's a starting point for each game and as a new IP, I'm pretty optimistic [Homefront] will do quite well."

I thought it was an alright write-up.
Old 03-14-11, 08:40 PM

Amazon has bumped-up the pre-order credit to $15.

Pre-order Homefront, for PS3 or Xbox 360, and get $15 off a future video game purchase, as well as a Homefront Outfit for your PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE avatar, and the Homefront: Enter the Occupation Digital Mini Guide. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account, and the avatar and mini guide access codes e-mailed, within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
Old 03-14-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As soon as their free release day shipping offer ended they bumped the future GC up to $15 which pushed me over the edge and I broke down and ordered the damn thing.
Old 03-14-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

That's better for you than $10 in SYWR credit and free 1600 point card at Kmart?
Old 03-15-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I managed to get it a day early and it's about what I expected. Decent story, but below average game play and graphics. It's like a bad mix of "Turning Point" and "Metro", neither of which were any good. Most of the level's are spent listening to people talk next to a door before they open it and you run inside to shoot some Korean's. It's seriously so slow that I'm yelling at my TV and A.I. characters to get the hell out of the way and do something. One last note, it is VERY short. I have played less than 2 hours and am on chapter 5 of 7. I would put it around 4 hours tops, unless you play on the hardest difficulty...then maybe 6 hours.
Old 03-15-11, 12:55 AM

Here's a couple video reviews:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k4d0r1S8h3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R2THG9uZkWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-15-11, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Here's a couple video reviews:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k4d0r1S8h3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R2THG9uZkWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I cannot see these from work. Are they good...bad?
Old 03-15-11, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ign gave it a 7.0. The video review says the gameplay is fluid...the presentation is very good but overall the game does nothing to advance things in this area of gaming. I do not see that as a problem as long as the gameplay is good. I knew I would like the presentation given the premise of the game is very similar to Red Dawn. It also said the online play was very good. I am not sure how they justify a 7.0 after watching the video review. Just because the developer has done nothing new and the game clocks in short for some people is not a reason to give it a low score. I would think 8.0 is more like it. Not sure a 9.0(Playstation Magazine)is justifiable but once again....7.0 to a 9.0...someone is a little off here. Anyone else play this yet?
Old 03-15-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
That's better for you than $10 in SYWR credit and free 1600 point card at Kmart?
Kmarts aren't exactly common out here. Closest one is 25 miles away I think. That's one of the things I miss from the midwest; there were multiple options for each store within minutes of one another.
Old 03-15-11, 11:29 AM

gamestop.com is showing the pre-owned price is going to be $42.99. That seems kind of low for a brand new game, maybe I should wait a week and pick it up used for this price and use my pre-order money on Fight night... hmmmm

Last edited by House; 03-15-11 at 11:55 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.