Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Got the mace very cool little quest mace is bad ass, you also get a new place to crash
Old 12-02-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I wanted to use a one handed weapon, but unless I am doing it wrong, it's so hard to change from one handed and shield to 2 different magic spells to a bow.

It always goes to one magic and one handed weapon to bow, but never the way I want it.
Old 12-03-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

LOL. I found some people bathing in the hot spring, so I had my female high elf mage remove her robe to join them. Ahhh....that feel nice.
Old 12-03-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I wanted to use a one handed weapon, but unless I am doing it wrong, it's so hard to change from one handed and shield to 2 different magic spells to a bow.

It always goes to one magic and one handed weapon to bow, but never the way I want it.
Yeah, it would be nice if the game had some kind of option to create configuration sets, because switching between stuff is a real pain, even when using favorites.
Old 12-03-11, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So one thing that bothers me is the autosaves at weird times....I found Ragnvald Temple. I am only about 5 hours into the game and level 11 but I was exploring.

Spoiler:
The temple itself is pretty easy. However, once I unlocked the sarcophagus, the dragon priest Otar the Mad kicked my ass. I figured if the boss was going to be ridiculously hard for my low character, getting to him would have been harder too.
So what happens? The game autosaves right after the sarcophagus opens...so I die and just keep restarting right in front of him. I tried to run away but he chases you through the temple and is way faster than you.
Luckily I had a manual save point right before I opened his sarcophagus. I will have to come back to him after some leveling up.

I really like the open world, but sometimes its a curse...especially if autosave kicks in at the wrong time!
Old 12-03-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This game definitely level locks at locations when you first visit them. In the first few hours i got my ass kicked by a mage in a dungeon. Last night i re-visited the dungeon and she went down in a few hits.
Old 12-03-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took on a gravity-defying dragon last night ...

It seems like the "main" dragons that lurk near the cities (pseudo-"quest" dragons) are unaffected, but the individually-placed ones across the map wig out once you reach their spot. They fly to the moon, rapidly fly backwards and down to the ground, and seem to either intuitively dodge your attacks or simply hover/fly still. And man, does the game lag once that happens.

Originally Posted by mhg83
This game definitely level locks at locations when you first visit them. In the first few hours i got my ass kicked by a mage in a dungeon. Last night i re-visited the dungeon and she went down in a few hits.
Noticed that as well. I think it might have to do with when you actually sign on for the expedition: a bunch of the side-missions I took on at the beginning, ignored, and later revisited were a breeze, but they also netted very little gold once completed and fairly weak loot.
Old 12-03-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did a 3rd Daedric Quest last night, cool back story but it was a quick and short quest, and reward was a nice ring

I like how after completing every of these different quests for the different Daedra lords, you become their champions and you have a good interaction.
Old 12-03-11, 09:24 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickdawgy

If you want to easily jump between bow and two-handed selection all you have to do is equip and unequip the bow and it should automatically put you back to what you wanted. That works for me anyway. Just put stuff in favorites.
Old 12-03-11, 10:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 12-03-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never should have come here!
Old 12-03-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Never should have come here!
Old 12-04-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Let me guess... Someone stole your Sweet Roll?
Old 12-04-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, I haven't read every post in this thread, but has there been anything said about Skyrim deleting the 360's cache, including patches/updates? After anytime spent playing Skyrim I have to redownload updates to any other game that I go to play. Incredibly frustrating, and it's screwed me because I was unable to avoid the latest Skyrim "patch" because it wouldn't let me load any of my saves since they were created on a later version of the game. So now I get the joys of dragons flying away from me in reverse (I call total BS on that being rare).

Last edited by ultimaton; 12-04-11 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 06:32 PM

So, I hopped on the bandwagon and picked this up last week. I'd never played any other Elder Scrolls game, but the modern Fallout games rank pretty favorably on the list of my favorite games of this generation.

I like it quite a bit. I use a "Wood Elf" that's pretty much Destruction magic focused but with really good Archery and sneak skills. Although all but 5-6 "Perks" are in Destruction; at level 22 I almost have the entire constellation filled out. I don't use melee at all really, since I don't really care for the feel of it.

The only problem is that sometimes combat basically turns into "backpedal and pray that I have enough Magika to kill them before they close in on me." Seems that 95% of the enemies are melee based. I can get through most spots just fine (I've downed at least 8 dragons; mostly "random" ones), but occasionally I'll run into a super powerful "boss" or just a strong regular enemy that will wipe the floor with me, despite the rest of the dungeon being fairy easy.

Is this normal? Should I go for a more diverse character build next time? I just finished the Winterhold College questline, which I did in succession. It got pretty rough on those later parts, so I'm not sure if I'm "supposed" to do them all in a row, or do some, level up, and finish the later parts at a higher level.

I guess that's my only real problem with the game, which is not knowing what level I *should* be for certain areas. Other thank attacking a giant, I haven't come across a whole lot seems to outright bar me from attempting, yet I'll get an hour into an area and wonder if I should be there. Guess it'd be nice if there were a way to find out what level the enemies are. Especially for all those Alteration spells that affect "Level 5 and under" and so on. How the hell do I know what I can use it on?

Other than that, I'm loving it. Not quite Game of the Year for me, but not too far off, either.
Old 12-04-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I hate the melee part, too, although it is fun to see the animations.

Most boss type battles for me are backpedlaing as well, and trying to find that one spot they can't get to while you pelt them with arrows.
Old 12-04-11, 09:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It isn't an Elder Scrolls game unless you are kiting a dude and fall off something at least once.
Old 12-04-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the only way to get some of the stronger Armors by smithing them? I've been stuck with blades armor(fine) and steel plate boots, along with that weird hooded mask thing, and orcish gauntlets. Haven't seen orcish armor or anything ebony or daedric yet.
Old 12-05-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Is the only way to get some of the stronger Armors by smithing them? I've been stuck with blades armor(fine) and steel plate boots, along with that weird hooded mask thing, and orcish gauntlets. Haven't seen orcish armor or anything ebony or daedric yet.
You'll start finding the higher-level armors when you level up more, but still not super-frequently. It may take you a while to piece together a full set of the same type if you're not smithing it.

You also get some pretty good light armor sets from a couple of the guild questlines, but those are better for their enchantments than actual protection.

Also, the Lockpicking skill tree has a good perk called Treasure Hunter - 50% greater chance of finding "special" treasure, which seems to basically equate to better weapons and armor with better enchantments on them (unconfirmed, just speaking from experience on that one).
Old 12-05-11, 12:54 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
you will get better armor from time to time...but the only way to truly get great armor is to improve your smith skill...it probably pays off more than any other skill in the game...and is the easiest to level up
Old 12-05-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
So, I haven't read every post in this thread, but has there been anything said about Skyrim deleting the 360's cache, including patches/updates? After anytime spent playing Skyrim I have to redownload updates to any other game that I go to play. Incredibly frustrating, and it's screwed me because I was unable to avoid the latest Skyrim "patch" because it wouldn't let me load any of my saves since they were created on a later version of the game. So now I get the joys of dragons flying away from me in reverse (I call total BS on that being rare).
It's not a Skyrim issue, that's been the case for a few years now after one of the dashboard updates. For some reason they severely limited the size of the cache for patches/updates and since then if you play more than a few games you'll have to be continually updating when you play a 3rd or 4th again. I had the same deal happen. I'd been avoiding the patch, but my wife decided to throw in Fable 3 thus making my Skyrim unplayable because it removed the day 1 update. So now I'm just having to tough it out with the update. It freezes all the time for me now. Why the fuck are they even leaving the thing out there with all the problems it's causing is the big question for me at the moment.
Old 12-05-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Poink
So, I hopped on the bandwagon and picked this up last week. I'd never played any other Elder Scrolls game, but the modern Fallout games rank pretty favorably on the list of my favorite games of this generation.

I like it quite a bit. I use a "Wood Elf" that's pretty much Destruction magic focused but with really good Archery and sneak skills. Although all but 5-6 "Perks" are in Destruction; at level 22 I almost have the entire constellation filled out. I don't use melee at all really, since I don't really care for the feel of it.

The only problem is that sometimes combat basically turns into "backpedal and pray that I have enough Magika to kill them before they close in on me." Seems that 95% of the enemies are melee based. I can get through most spots just fine (I've downed at least 8 dragons; mostly "random" ones), but occasionally I'll run into a super powerful "boss" or just a strong regular enemy that will wipe the floor with me, despite the rest of the dungeon being fairy easy.

Is this normal? Should I go for a more diverse character build next time? I just finished the Winterhold College questline, which I did in succession. It got pretty rough on those later parts, so I'm not sure if I'm "supposed" to do them all in a row, or do some, level up, and finish the later parts at a higher level.

I guess that's my only real problem with the game, which is not knowing what level I *should* be for certain areas. Other thank attacking a giant, I haven't come across a whole lot seems to outright bar me from attempting, yet I'll get an hour into an area and wonder if I should be there. Guess it'd be nice if there were a way to find out what level the enemies are. Especially for all those Alteration spells that affect "Level 5 and under" and so on. How the hell do I know what I can use it on?

Other than that, I'm loving it. Not quite Game of the Year for me, but not too far off, either.
Make sure you use Tanking Followers/Conjure Antaroch.
Old 12-05-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And also it is a good idea to at least level up 1h. I'm starting to run into things where I have to hit a normal mob about 10 times with a maxed out for level 17 destro spell, but I can hack them 3-4 times with the mace of molag bal and they die.
Old 12-05-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you do the side quest and go with either the stormwind rebellion or imperials, does that affect your ability to communicate with npc in certain towns?
Old 12-05-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
It's not a Skyrim issue, that's been the case for a few years now after one of the dashboard updates. For some reason they severely limited the size of the cache for patches/updates and since then if you play more than a few games you'll have to be continually updating when you play a 3rd or 4th again. I had the same deal happen. I'd been avoiding the patch, but my wife decided to throw in Fable 3 thus making my Skyrim unplayable because it removed the day 1 update. So now I'm just having to tough it out with the update. It freezes all the time for me now. Why the fuck are they even leaving the thing out there with all the problems it's causing is the big question for me at the moment.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. Guess I only really noticed it now because I was screwed by it.

Guess I'll just shelve this one until the patch-to-fix-the-patch is out on hope it stays on schedule for this week, because they managed to make Skyrim go from no noticeable problems (for me) to unplayable with this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.