Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Originally Posted by flashburn
Hasn't it become apparent by now that Harmonix is a "fun" company to work for? They are probably too busy running around pulling pranks on each other to bother with the important stuff. Pretty much everyone that works there seems to act like a bunch of immature little kids in every interview, tweet, forum post, and blog posting they do.
yeah, and even the games they make suck.
Old 10-26-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Geez you'd think they'd have some logic written where if you're playing a challenge on guitar and it picks random songs, it doesn't pick songs with no guitar part. I just got Dawn Patrol. Nice.
Old 10-26-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
yeah, and even the games they make suck.
No, that (edit) was Neversoft.

Luckily Harmonix has a strong enough passion towards music and innovation that it mostly overcomes their antics and behavior.
Old 10-26-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
They have to still be having server issues. Rating a song never slowed anything for me last week, even for a second. It would save, but I was still able to scroll through the menus while it did.
I hope that's it, though I don't know why it would need to connect to the server every time you rate a song. How many songs did you have when you were doing this?
Old 10-26-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you'll be able to list and rate songs from their website, so that would explain the slowdown now versus last week. Hopefully that is fixed though.
Old 10-26-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hasn't it become apparent by now that Harmonix is a "fun" company to work for? They are probably too busy running around pulling pranks on each other to bother with the important stuff. Pretty much everyone that works there seems to act like a bunch of immature little kids in every interview, tweet, forum post, and blog posting they do.
Yeah, but if there was a day (or two or three) to cut the shit and act professional, you'd think this weekend might have been it.

Speaking of, the more I think about the lack of news about the export, the more I'm pissed. I realize it doesn't matter, but they obviously knew long ago what it was going to consist of. Anybody that thinks they were burning the midnight oil in heated debates with music labels is seriously delusional.

The game shipped early and already it knew to ignore RB1 songs. At launch, a 2gb file was ready to be delivered by Microsoft servers that already knew all the specifics. We all know that stuff cannot be delivered last-minute and rushed to production without certification. While I won't say how long that package has been sitting there, waiting for distribution, I know enough to know it was at least before the weekend.

So, I'm just venting about the sudden lack of communication from a company that has been so fucking fantastic about it. Maybe that's just me being spoiled and a sign that they did get "professional" here at the end, despite it seeming opposite.

One thing I do know is they had enough time to announce John Lennon the day before launch and the website going down, but not enough for the details on the export which were obviously already nailed down.
Old 10-26-10, 04:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Geez you'd think they'd have some logic written where if you're playing a challenge on guitar and it picks random songs, it doesn't pick songs with no guitar part. I just got Dawn Patrol. Nice.
So did you automatically gold star it or did it fail you out?
Old 10-26-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Speaking of, the more I think about the lack of news about the export, the more I'm pissed. I realize it doesn't matter, but they obviously knew long ago what it was going to consist of. Anybody that thinks they were burning the midnight oil in heated debates with music labels is seriously delusional.
I think if it had been good news we would have gotten it much sooner
Old 10-26-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
www.dtunnel.com is your work friend
That site is blocked. They are a clever lot over here.
Old 10-26-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you listened to their podcast? Ugh. It's almost unbearable.
Old 10-26-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game shipped early and already it knew to ignore RB1 songs. At launch, a 2gb file was ready to be delivered by Microsoft servers that already knew all the specifics. We all know that stuff cannot be delivered last-minute and rushed to production without certification. While I won't say how long that package has been sitting there, waiting for distribution, I know enough to know it was at least before the weekend.
Yeah, I completely agree. There is no way they could of gotten that export content approved and uploaded that quickly, especially on the Sony side of things.

It's pretty lame that basically the only way you can find out about a RB2 Export is if you are in tune with all things RB related online. If you just bought RB3, the manual says nothing about it. Maybe they have updated one of the messages when you are playing to mention it, but I don't think that is good enough.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porieux
I think if it had been good news we would have gotten it much sooner
Good point. Even now, I'm really only missing Journey but I'm still about an upgrade for it. The HMX songs are coming free later, so no big deal.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Have you listened to their podcast? Ugh. It's almost unbearable.
Nah, their little "joke" videos they post are enough for me, I can't imagine how they are during their oh-so-self-important podcasts.

edit: Having said all that, I love Harmonix and the products they release. I'd also love to work for them, since they seem like so much fun.
Old 10-26-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So did you automatically gold star it or did it fail you out?
I quit and picked a different set list, so neither.
Old 10-26-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yesterday I was reading on the RB forums that you just have to be louder to active OD (presumably the same idea for the BREs). Hopefully they fix that. Why can't we just push a button on the controller to activate OD, I'll never understand.
Being louder doesn't work... I was yelling so loud my head almost exploded. I guess it's broken... hopefully they fix that soon.
Old 10-26-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Their forums have been down since yesterday too, with a notice that, as of right now, still reads:

We're putting the finishing touches on an all-new RockBand.com just in time for the launch of Rock Band 3 on October 26.
There’s still time to pre-order or reserve a copy of the game Joystiq calls “The greatest rhythm game ever made...”
You hear that? You can still pre-order! Seriously, why didn't they get this ready for midnight last night?
Old 10-26-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So, I'm just venting about the sudden lack of communication from a company that has been so fucking fantastic about it. Maybe that's just me being spoiled and a sign that they did get "professional" here at the end, despite it seeming opposite.
I mean, they havent even officially announced how to export RB2 other than tweeting word of mouth...
Old 10-26-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 19K
Being louder doesn't work... I was yelling so loud my head almost exploded. I guess it's broken... hopefully they fix that soon.
I've had absolutely no problems activating OD on vocals. I must've gotten a golden copy. I haven't really encountered any of the problems everyone else is having.
Old 10-26-10, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I quit and picked a different set list, so neither.
I had "Imagine" come up in my guitar setlist. You pass with 0 stars, 0 spades. So it's a waste of a challenge.
Old 10-26-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sooo, maybe I missed this, how do we enter a 16 digit code into a 12 digit slot to export RB2? for ps3.
Old 10-26-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe you just enter the first 12 digits? I don't know, because I do most of my gaming on the console that is superior for gaming.
Old 10-26-10, 05:55 PM
Cool New Member

I haven't been able to figure out the ps3 export either. It will only let you enter the standard 12 digits (yes, I tried it).
Old 10-26-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by longshanks
I haven't been able to figure out the ps3 export either. It will only let you enter the standard 12 digits (yes, I tried it).
tried that too. lemme check the manual.. oh nevermind... how about rockband.com ... oh nevermind ... guess I'll google message boards and random facebook/tweets for a couple hours
Old 10-26-10, 05:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by longshanks
I had "Imagine" come up in my guitar setlist. You pass with 0 stars, 0 spades. So it's a waste of a challenge.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 10-26-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Are we already done talking about how fucking terrible Phish is?
No.

I went a Phish concert in high school at the Civic Arena and rather than sit through the last half of the show I went back into the concourse and sat on the floor. At least that shit was muffled. I got roped into going because I said I didn't mind a few songs on Junta.

Now why can't I export my RB2 list yet? Oh nevermind. People that listen to Phish are apparently in charge of this thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.