Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by MWB
Arcadecraft is out today for XBLIG. 240 points.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258550c9b

Enter the exciting world of Arcade ownership! Play through the start of the 1980's arcade revolution by buying and placing video games for your customers to play! Customize your arcade to increase its popularity! Modify machine parameters, manage your finances, capitalize on newly released games, but beware of the events and pitfalls that could bankrupt you!
Bought this tonight. Played for about an hour and ran my business into the ground. You've got such a slight profit margin that any repair can set you back and if you can't make your rent at the end of the month, you have to sell your machine. Makes it hard to buy new machines and once you start selling your old or broken ones, you no longer make enough to buy a new one. Not really sure how to play this; wish they had a little more hand-holding. Anyway, it's a really cool Indie game and I do recommend it.
Old 02-09-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

^ wow, as someone who runs his own small business, that sounds hilariously realistic!
Old 02-09-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Bought this tonight. Played for about an hour and ran my business into the ground. You've got such a slight profit margin that any repair can set you back and if you can't make your rent at the end of the month, you have to sell your machine. Makes it hard to buy new machines and once you start selling your old or broken ones, you no longer make enough to buy a new one. Not really sure how to play this; wish they had a little more hand-holding. Anyway, it's a really cool Indie game and I do recommend it.
Yeah, I bought this too and wish there was a option where you have more time to get more profit. It's seem this game only give you a minute to empty the machines and when you tried to buy a newer one, proof, you have to paid the rent and fixes broken down machines.
Old 02-09-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys holding down the button to get all the money out of the machines once they hit $500? On my first play-through, I thought you just hit it once and they emptied to $0. But that actually only empties it a little bit, so they were back to $500 within seconds. I was going nowhere in that play-through.

Then I found out about holding the button down, and started over. That changed the entire game for me. I made it up to 1985, with over $100,000, and nothing else to spend it on.

Oh, and you guys may want to hang on to some of the older machines for a while. . .
Old 02-09-13, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
^ wow, as someone who runs his own small business, that sounds hilariously realistic!
That's what I was thinking : Why is this harder than running an actual small business? All things considered, I'd rather suck in this and succeed in real life than the other way around.
I restarted this morning, corrected some of my early mistakes, didn't buy new machines the moment I could afford them and am slowly chugging along now.

I agree about time racing too quickly. Sometimes I'm frantically trying to move a machine to a "hot spot" and while I'm doing that, some asshole kid ( that looks like one of you, I might add) manages to break three of my machines in a few seconds. Very realistic
Hope we can hire security guards eventually.
Old 02-10-13, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
LOL, same here! I can finally 100% this game as I was never going to pay full price for it. Even $5 is still a tad high but I'll bite.

EDIT: Got 100% finally after a few years!
Yeah, I just beat the DLC pack for Puzzle Quest too. Good lord, that did not take long at all. I'm not even sure $5 was right, but I am glad I went ahead and finished it. 5 years later and I finally buy the dlc...and finish it in less than a weekend. Crazy. BTW, the only worthwhile piece of equipment in my opinion was the Stormhammer. That thing is so fun.
Old 02-11-13, 09:12 PM

Super-long article that's a must-read if you're into things like yearly XBLA sales numbers:

Xbox Live Arcade By The Numbers - An extensive look back at 2012

Way too lengthy to C&P the whole thing, but I will do this:

Some staggering numbers there. Seems like any time I pull up some random player's recently-played list, Minecraft is right near the top of it. It's sold more in nine months than Castle Crashers has sold since 2008. I just wish some of those people could put it down and explore what else XBLA has to offer a little bit more:

Old 02-11-13, 10:58 PM

I wonder if any of those 5 million owners of Minecraft have played the game less than I have. It's not that I think it's a bad game, it's just that I don't get the game at all -- I'm not even sure it's actually a game. It's so popular and I still have no idea what to do or why I should keep trying to figure it out.

The most amazing thing is that the game has never been on sale. That's five million sales at $20 a pop (excluding those who like me took advantage of the accidental $5 discount at Best buy.com)
Old 02-11-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I gave it an hour or two when I bought it on a whim. Haven't touched it since. I don't get the appeal.
Old 02-11-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got a free code for it from somewhere. I gave it to charity.
Old 02-11-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have legally changed my name to Charity for a Minecraft code.
Old 02-11-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bet you can't work a pole like she did.
Old 02-12-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, I just beat the DLC pack for Puzzle Quest too. Good lord, that did not take long at all. I'm not even sure $5 was right, but I am glad I went ahead and finished it. 5 years later and I finally buy the dlc...and finish it in less than a weekend. Crazy. BTW, the only worthwhile piece of equipment in my opinion was the Stormhammer. That thing is so fun.
Yes, glad it's finished here as well!

Re:Stormhammer, I will have to try that one out. Is that the thing that was destroying entire columns at a time when I was fighting those giants? I was so focused on running through the content that I didn't even look to see what I was getting as quest rewards. Plus, I did that achievement last.
Old 02-12-13, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gooter
Yes, glad it's finished here as well!

Re:Stormhammer, I will have to try that one out. Is that the thing that was destroying entire columns at a time when I was fighting those giants? I was so focused on running through the content that I didn't even look to see what I was getting as quest rewards. Plus, I did that achievement last.
Yep, that's the one. It's sick because it gives you all of the mana plus damage for whatever it destroys in that random column. Plus, if you really want to go crazy, put on the whole set which does the same thing in different areas, 4 in money, random column zap, 4 in experience, random column zap, etc. I finished the set in the middle which helped a lot at the end (you really don't want the end boss to move too much). I have the classic wizard build, so I was reluctant to get rid of my Firewalker Staff, but I'm glad I did.
Old 02-12-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-12-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nothing special in there at all. Only thing I have my eye on is the "Capcom Arcade" stuff. I assume by "cabinet", he means that each game within the "Game Room" will be 400 points while the shell (and demos?) are free. The emulation and presentation has to be pretty stellar for me to jump in like I did with GR. Hopefully those cabinets go on sale in the future too.
Old 02-12-13, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nothing special in there at all. Only thing I have my eye on is the "Capcom Arcade" stuff. I assume by "cabinet", he means that each game within the "Game Room" will be 400 points while the shell (and demos?) are free. The emulation and presentation has to be pretty stellar for me to jump in like I did with GR. Hopefully those cabinets go on sale in the future too.
Wait until May 21 and buy the All-in-one-pack to save 1600 points.

Old 02-12-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice, thanks! Maybe I'll wait until September to save even more on the bundle. Comforting to know that it won't be $5/game.
Old 02-12-13, 10:57 AM

No problem. Oh yeah, and "Cabinet" is part of the name. Capcom Arcade Cabinet.

You guys getting a shit-ton of snow up there like we are down here? Hope it doesn't delay your $100 Aliens: Colonial Marines game!
Old 02-12-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No precip yet. Forecast was trace-1" yesterday and up to 1-3" today. We'll see.
Old 02-12-13, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nothing special in there at all.
Saving 800 points on Dragonborn DLC that's only a couple of months old (and only just available now on PC and PS3) seems like a deal to me
Not that I ever got around to playing Skyrim after buying the last DLC in the Countdown to New Year's sale, but still it's nice to know it's there.
Old 02-12-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only thing I know about that DLC was what I heard on a podcast where they said it was really boring and terrible. I didn't remember when it came out and I've never bothered with Skyrim.

I guess I should have said "nothing special to me"
Old 02-12-13, 11:51 AM

Nice "losing" deals in the Sales & Specials app:

Limbo - 480 MSP (normally 1200)
Spelunky - 480 MSP (normally 1200)
N+ - 320 MSP (normally 800)
Old 02-12-13, 12:32 PM

I hate N+ and assume I'd hate Spelunky for the same reason, its too hard and frustrating. Still at that price I'll at least check the demo. thank you for the heads up.
Old 02-12-13, 08:00 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool in for the Dragonborn dlc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.