Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which species is your favorite?
Terran
37.50%
Protoss
37.50%
Zerg
18.75%
Not sure just yet!
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't understand that. Wouldn't it all be the same multiplayer game (except for new maps)? And would they really expect the average consumer to spend a whopping $180 for the "complete" Starcraft II game?
No one knows a thing about the additional SC2 games other than the names (as far as I know), so who knows what they're going to do with the multiplayer. I'm willing to bet we'll either get expansion-priced games, DLC, and/or full versions of whatever species they want.

And I've been playing this game for a while, and I can vouch for it being "complete." Just because it doesn't fit how the original game was organized, doesn't mean it's not complete. I've found the 10 or so missions I've played much more robust, complete, unique and entertaining than any of the ones on the original game.
Old 07-29-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't understand that. Wouldn't it all be the same multiplayer game (except for new maps)? And would they really expect the average consumer to spend a whopping $180 for the "complete" Starcraft II game?
But $140 is A-ok?

what if I only want the protoss campaign? I have to buy it and the terran.
Old 07-29-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
And I've been playing this game for a while, and I can vouch for it being "complete." Just because it doesn't fit how the original game was organized, doesn't mean it's not complete. I've found the 10 or so missions I've played much more robust, complete, unique and entertaining than any of the ones on the original game.
That's what I've been hearing too - that it's so much more than SC1 was.
Old 07-29-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so I installed the game and the main menu comes up to log into my battlenet account but the mouse cursor will not move at all. It seems like I have an invisible cursor that still moves around since I can eventually find a tab that looks highlighted, but I can't get anywhere in the menu. Anyone else have issues like this?

Computer stats:
AMD Phenom II X4 805 2.5GHz,
ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics
8GB DDR2
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Last edited by andy434343; 07-29-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
so I installed the game and the main menu comes up to log into my battlenet account but the mouse cursor will not move at all. It seems like I have an invisible cursor that still moves around since I can eventually find a tab that looks highlighted, but I can't get anywhere in the menu. Anyone else have issues like this?

Computer stats:
AMD Phenom II X4 805 2.5GHz,
ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics
8GB DDR2
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Sounds like a video card driver issue to me.
Old 07-29-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

funny enough someone on another site asked the same thing, turns out if I change it to windowed full screen it works fine as opposed to just full screen.....thanks for the response.

Last edited by andy434343; 07-29-10 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Starcraft 2 performance on modern video cards, for those who need an upgrade.

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-s...2-performance/

The game runs pretty well on High settings on my good ol' 8800GT.
Old 07-30-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,208 Likes on 4,235 Posts

I just tried the first couple of missions. It's AMAZINGLY good looking. I'm really impressed. I'm using a ATI Radeon HD 5770 on Ultra and it looks stunning. I forgot to run FRAPS to see what sort of a frame rate I'm getting, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than what they were reporting in that article. I'm off to bed, but I'll check tomorrow.

It's a cool game and I certainly think it's a "complete" experience, though it is different than the way one played the first game with all three factions. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but it's way more story-driven than most RTS games I'm used to.
Old 07-30-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't believe you guys are talking up the graphics.
the graphics are a bit outdated especially if you compare it to the latest RTS like dawn of war.

but the gameplay is awesome and i love the compaign so far.
Old 07-30-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The last RTS I played was Warcraft 3, so the graphics look pretty amazing to me.

I've only played the first few missions but I'm liking it a lot. Like the in-between stuff and the ability to upgrade your units/structures from your HQ.

I'll be disappointed if the protoss and zerg campaigns are full-price games when they are released, but I will probably end up buying them. I'm such a Blizzard whore.
Old 07-30-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the protoss and zerg campaigns are both 30+ plus missions and add new multiplayer maps, what's the problem paying full price?
Old 07-30-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
If the protoss and zerg campaigns are both 30+ plus missions and add new multiplayer maps, what's the problem paying full price?
None - people just like to complain.

The fact is they made a decision to do three games instead of one. It's like complaining that Star Wars should have just been one movie. Sure, it would be cheaper to experience, but I'd rather have more than less.
Old 07-30-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
because, you are effectively being charged for the online content of this game three times. honestly, i don't think i would pay $60 x 3 for all the missions. as much as i love the game, i feel like anything that comes after is an add on and should be charged accordingly.
Old 07-30-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have they said there would be any additional online content in the Zerg and Protoss releases? I haven't really kept up on all the news. I thought I read at some point that you could play with whoever, no matter which releases you owned.

As for paying full price for the other campaigns, how is this different than paying full price for other games in other series? It's not like sequels to other series cost less. As long as it's just as much content, it seems like they would be just like any other sequel in a franchise.
Old 07-30-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ghym
Have they said there would be any additional online content in the Zerg and Protoss releases? I haven't really kept up on all the news. I thought I read at some point that you could play with whoever, no matter which releases you owned.

As for paying full price for the other campaigns, how is this different than paying full price for other games in other series? It's not like sequels to other series cost less. As long as it's just as much content, it seems like they would be just like any other sequel in a franchise.
The major portion of a game's cost is (theoretically) the development costs. If you're using the same basic engine, the same basic units, the same basic multiplayer system, the same basic graphics, and are only spending time developing additional missions and cutscenes, then you aren't investing the same amount of time/money as you did on the original game (and aren't delivering the same amount of value to the customer) and should charge accordingly.
Old 07-30-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
The major portion of a game's cost is (theoretically) the development costs. If you're using the same basic engine, the same basic units, the same basic multiplayer system, the same basic graphics, and are only spending time developing additional missions and cutscenes, then you aren't investing the same amount of time/money as you did on the original game (and aren't delivering the same amount of value to the customer) and should charge accordingly.
this. furthermore, as I said above, the online content is what people really want. so if you buy all 3 versions, you are being charged for the same thing 3 times.

maybe they'll offer full retail version and maybe a downloadable version for cheap if you have already purchased wings of liberty. i'd be ok with that.
Old 07-30-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,208 Likes on 4,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
None - people just like to complain.

The fact is they made a decision to do three games instead of one. It's like complaining that Star Wars should have just been one movie. Sure, it would be cheaper to experience, but I'd rather have more than less.
It's a little different that that situation, don't you think? I didn't know until the game was released that it was only one-third of the overall StarCraft II story. I don't think it's being marketed that way. To this day we don't know if the Protoss and Zerg campaigns will be stand-alone games or expansions. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that there might be three complete games -- in fact if the next two live up to this one, it'll be well worth it (especially if they spred them out like one every Summer. Still, I think they're not really doing a good job or informing their consumers that this game is the first episode of a new trilogy. Calling the Game StarCraft II, Part I would have been a good start.
Old 07-30-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I keep debating if i should buy this. I've never been into strategy games. They just come off as boring to me. I do have a high end rig so no problem running it. What makes this game and strategy games in general fun? The only strategy game i've played was warcraft 3 and that was only for a few minutes. But this game does look like fun.
Old 07-30-10, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
this. furthermore, as I said above, the online content is what people really want. so if you buy all 3 versions, you are being charged for the same thing 3 times.
I bought Starcraft 2 for the single player campaign, the mulitplayer portion is just icing on the cake. Blizzard makes brilliant single player campaigns for their games.

Blizzard has not announced pricing for the Protoss and Zerg campaigns, there is no point complaining about how bad it is they are charging full price for those without anything known about them.
Old 07-30-10, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by old_mate
Blizzard has not announced pricing for the Protoss and Zerg campaigns, there is no point complaining about how bad it is they are charging full price for those without anything known about them.
Shut up! I am OUTRAGED that Blizzard will be charging $700 for the Protoss and Zerg campaigns. That is RIDICULOUS!
Old 07-30-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nobody's complaining about how bad it is, but about how bad it would be if Blizzard chose to go with the pricing scheme.
Old 07-30-10, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also bought SCII for the single player campaign.
Old 07-30-10, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Nobody's complaining about how bad it is, but about how bad it would be if Blizzard chose to go with the pricing scheme.
Well if people are complaining about how bad it would be if Blizazard were to do this, then I am now going to praise Blizzard on the chance that they might give me this two expansions for free. Thanks Blizzard, you are the best!
Old 07-30-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I also bought SCII for the single player campaign.
so did i, but make no mistake that the vast majority bought it for the online play.
Old 07-30-10, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well if people are complaining about how bad it would be if Blizazard were to do this, then I am now going to praise Blizzard on the chance that they might give me this two expansions for free. Thanks Blizzard, you are the best!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.