Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: The trilogy complete? Official Gears of War 3 thread

Originally Posted by pinata242
Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s) for the week of March 29th, 2010
Logic much?
Putting up a list of top Live titles to prove your point would be like me putting up a list of the top games that don't have any online multi-player component to prove mine. I thought you were smarter than that.
Old 04-09-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Logic much?
Putting up a list of top Live titles to prove your point would be like me putting up a list of the top games that don't have any online multi-player component to prove mine. I thought you were smarter than that.
It counts all titles, since all titles can connect to live
Old 04-09-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
It counts all titles, since all titles can connect to live
You'd be surprised at the number of Xboxes not constantly online - just because we all are connected every time we boot up, doesn't mean everyone is.
Old 04-09-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Logic much?
Sorry pinata, gotta side with slop on this one.
Old 04-09-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Questioning whether people care about multiplayer to begin with seemed silly to me
Old 04-09-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The people that play games on the 360 play online. This isn't the Wii we're talking about.
Old 04-10-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry. I've just really soured on multiplayer a lot over the last few months (glitches, lag, waiting for matches, assholes online, main game compromised in order to shoe-in multi-player element, etc, etc), and I apologize for bringing that animosity here.
Old 04-10-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The people that play games on the 360 play online. This isn't the Wii we're talking about.
I barely ever play online. The only 'game' i play on Live is 1vs100 whenever a season starts. I have limited time and find most online games are a waste of my time that can be better spent playing through my single player games.

If I want my filll of being called a *** i'll go to boystown
Old 04-10-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
I barely ever play online. The only 'game' i play on Live is 1vs100 whenever a season starts. I have limited time and find most online games are a waste of my time that can be better spent playing through my single player games.

If I want my filll of being called a *** i'll go to boystown
I'm with mhg on this one. Once I gave up on MW2, (other than the occasional game of Borderlands with my brother) I'm almost a completely solo gamer.

Last edited by The Dude; 04-10-10 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-10-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, being "online (i.e. connected to Live)" != "playing multiplayer" so my point is the validity of Major Nelson's "Live Activity List". I also primarily play single player games, but I'm always "online".
Old 04-13-10, 03:23 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Projected release date is April 8, 2011

Here's the segment from Fallon:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....shes-to-ashes/

And here's the Ashes To Ashes trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFWNeMCI_Mg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FFWNeMCI_Mg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-13-10, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worldwide Release Dates

According to an official release, Microsoft states that Gears of War 3 will be out on "April 5, 2011 in North America and Asia, April 7 in Japan, and April 8 in Europe and the rest of the world."
Old 04-13-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by alxreys
Worldwide Release Dates

According to an official release, Microsoft states that Gears of War 3 will be out on "April 5, 2011 in North America and Asia, April 7 in Japan, and April 8 in Europe and the rest of the world."
I won't believe this unless some exec got it tattooed on his shoulder.
Old 04-13-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Was that Cloud that helped Dom(?) up? Weird cross-over!
Old 04-13-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great trailer. Nothing compares to the one for the first game though, but still really good.

And Dom is going really bad since

Spoiler:
Maria "died"

I wonder if this new girl is going to create some kind of sexual tension between him and Marcus.
Old 04-13-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The "new" girl is Anya
Old 04-13-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gears of War trailers have always been really slick

And Anya fighting? Cool!
Old 04-13-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://kotaku.com/5516018/gears-3-do...de-multiplayer

4 Player Co-op now.
Old 04-13-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Anya_Stroud

Anya Stroud is a Lieutenant in the COG Armed Forces. Despite only being a junior officer, she, along with Colonel Victor Hoffman and Chairman Richard Prescott himself, are the only remaining members of COG Command - making her a de-facto member of the COG's leadership. Anya harbors romantic feelings for Marcus Fenix.
I can already feel the sexual tension.
Old 04-13-10, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
4 Player Co-op now.
Please let Cole Train be one of the playable characters.
Old 04-13-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

4 Player Co-op now.
Co-op always compromises the single-player game. Always.

A game should be solely co-op or solely single-player. Shoehorning them in together will always compromise them both. See Army of Two, Resident Evil 5, etc.
Old 04-13-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't speak for GoW2, but GoW was always a co-op game. You were always with Dom from the very beginning. Occasionally you'd meet up with Cole and... the funny one, but it was always a co-op game. The only variable was if your partner was AI or human-controlled.

Sure, maybe expanding it will hurt, but you have to give the team the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Old 04-13-10, 01:15 PM

Gears of War 3 Includes 4-Player Co-op, New Weapons

April 13, 2010 - Gears of War 3 was officially unveiled last night. Fans got their first glimpse at the game in a minute-long trailer, which featured long-standing COG members Marcus Fenix, and his grizzled partner Dominic Santiago fighting a swarm of Locust enemies and new Lambent tentacle monsters.

But new details have emerged this morning, courtesy of Spanish gaming website Meristation TV. In the interview with Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski confirmed several new additions and details for Gears of War 3.

Bleszinski said the plot of Gears of War 3 picks up 18 months after the end of Gears 2, and will close the book on the trilogy.

"You can expect that we'll answer the majority of the questions that players have about the history of the world and what's going on," Bleszinski said. "We're not going to answer everything, but I can tell you this will be the conclusion to a trilogy."

In the same interview, Bleszinski confirmed two new weapons for Gears 3: A sawed-off double-barrel shotgun, which is more powerful than the standard shotgun, but has longer reload times and less range, and the Pendulum Lancer, the precursor to the chainsaw Lancer. This new lancer "kicks like a mule when it fires" and includes a large blade at the end that makes for nasty executions.

Bleszinski also said the team will continue to refine the cover system of Gears 3, making it the best in the industry. The game will finally include female characters. Anya, who was a "pencil pusher" in the previous Gears games, will now be fighting alongside the Delta Squad in the new game.

The biggest addition to multiplayer is 4-player online co-op in the story mode. Bleszinski said players can now take control of the other Delta Squad members Baird and Cole in the campaign.

"When you play Gears 1 and 2, Player 1 is Marcus, and Player 2 is Dom. The only way to play as Dom in the campaign is to be Player 2," he said. "That cascades down to Players 3 and 4. If you want to play as Baird or Cole in the campaign, the only way you can do that is to play 3 or 4 players co-op."

Bleszinski also noted the team has switched up the storytelling in Gears 3.

"At some point in the campaign, you're not going to be Marcus and Dom. You're going to be another squad, and you're going to experience their section, and you'll see some overlap and they'll merge Pulp Fiction style, which is one of the ways were playing with the stories this time," he said.

There will also be several multiplayer improvements. Bleszinski promised Gears of War 3 will include better region filtering to allow for less laggy games. Fans will also see the return of several old Gears of War multiplayer maps, but he could not say which ones.

Bleszinski also hinted at a possible new squad command system for multiplayer.

"We definitely want to improve the player's ability to play together with their friends and stick together in a party, but we're not announcing how that will work right now."
Old 04-13-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Co-op always compromises the single-player game. Always.

A game should be solely co-op or solely single-player. Shoehorning them in together will always compromise them both. See Army of Two, Resident Evil 5, etc.
I can't speak for GoW2, but GoW was always a co-op game. You were always with Dom from the very beginning. Occasionally you'd meet up with Cole and... the funny one, but it was always a co-op game. The only variable was if your partner was AI or human-controlled.

Sure, maybe expanding it will hurt, but you have to give the team the benefit of the doubt on this one.
I never felt either GoW 1 or 2 were compromised at all. I only played RE5 by myself and never felt that it suffered either. I guess it's just me.
Old 04-13-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never felt either GoW 1 or 2 were compromised at all. I only played RE5 by myself and never felt that it suffered either. I guess it's just me.
Exactly....same for Borderlands. Or Crackdown. Or Left 4 Dead. Etc....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.