Reload this Page >

Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game

Old 08-26-10, 12:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game

But if he does that he'll have to stop complaining.
Old 08-26-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy upgrades if the game told me what I needed to do, or made any sense. Should I buy a wrist band or a cup of noodles? Honestly, just tell me what the item does and I'll buy it. This, and the fact that leveling up serves no purpose. Your stats never change, my STR is always 0 and I'm level 9. New moves don't help anything when all there is to do in the game is slowly walk around and punch people to death.
Old 08-26-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Experiment. When you played NES games as a kid, the writing was just as terse and nebulous, but the games were fun right?

In the CD store - the descriptions are pretty obvious... "This band has strength inducing songs." sure, most are vague, but that's pretty cut & dry.
Old 08-26-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337 View Post
I would buy upgrades if the game told me what I needed to do, or made any sense. Should I buy a wrist band or a cup of noodles? Honestly, just tell me what the item does and I'll buy it. This, and the fact that leveling up serves no purpose. Your stats never change, my STR is always 0 and I'm level 9. New moves don't help anything when all there is to do in the game is slowly walk around and punch people to death.
I thought your first post was sarcasm.
Old 08-26-10, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Old 08-26-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
I thought your first post was sarcasm.
so did I.
Old 08-26-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Your stats never change, my STR is always 0 and I'm level 9. New moves don't help anything when all there is to do in the game is slowly walk around and punch people to death.
If you're up to level 9, you should have a ton of cash. Even if you were just blindly buying stuff in different stores, your strength would be a heckuva lot higher than zero. As was mentioned a few posts up, the descriptions for a lot of the upgrades are clearly labeled (certainly for the more expensive/most useful ones), and there's a consistency to a lot of 'em you'll clue into as the game goes along. I think it'd be nice if your stats improved as you level up, but it's not a dealbreaker.

As you boost your character's stats, you'll move a lot faster and do a lot more damage with each hit, so levels that are taking you 20 minutes to get through now will be closer to 5 when you're 'roided out.
Old 08-26-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cheaper items are there to primarily refill your HP/GP (and maybe add some XP). If you're at level 9 with 0 STR, then you likely have a ton of money and can get some quick stat boosts if you visit the hidden store in the first level or pay off Scott's late fees at the video store (assuming you have that much money). Hell, even the CD store and the book store will help.

At any rate, since you're having a hard time figuring out what items boost your stats, GameFAQs has a spoiler-free guide that details what all the purchasable items do for your character.
Old 08-26-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the lockups on the 360 are terrible.
Old 08-26-10, 11:57 PM

If i buy something in a store, is the effect permanent? If I buy something else, does it replace it? If I quit/die and continue, must I buy them again? These are gaming basics that remain unexplained and piss me the hell off. If you are going to have a money and item system, you must also have an inventory system to use and equip things. This game seems to jumble numerous genres together, yet fail at all of them. Sucks since I was super excited for it.
Old 08-27-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

If i buy something in a store, is the effect permanent?
Aside from snacks you take with you to go, yes.

If I buy something else, does it replace it?
No. You're continually adding onto your stats. You can also buy multiples of every item.

If I quit/die and continue, must I buy them again?
No.

These are gaming basics that remain unexplained and piss me the hell off. If you are going to have a money and item system, you must also have an inventory system to use and equip things.
The only thing in the inventory is the single snack you can carry at a time. There's nothing to equip. You're adding numbers to other numbers.

I think you're just used to the hyperaggressive handholding for every last thing in video games nowadays.

...and so on.

Honestly, there's absolutely nothing confusing or complicated about what's going on in Scott Pilgrim, at least for someone coming up through the NES era (which this obviously owes an enormous debt to...). Beat people up. Get money. Buy stuff. Get faster/stronger. Stay faster/stronger. Any questions you have are answered by playing it. I mean, I didn't figure this out through GameFAQs or anything. I could've answered these questions the same way the second time I picked up the controller. It just seems like you want the game to expressly tell you step-by-step precisely what you're supposed to do, and rather than spend a minute or two exploring things and figuring it out (which is part of the fun of the whole thing), you're ranting on a message board instead.
Old 08-27-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also there's a 12-page "How to Play" section built into the game that would answer a lot of those questions. It's kinda like, I dunno, the manual?
Old 08-27-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I think you're just used to the hyperaggressive handholding for every last thing in video games nowadays.
Pretty much this.

A lot Xbox 360 games I have display an arrow at the top of the screen showing you exactly where to go.

For the most part, very little is expected of the player in games these days.
Old 08-27-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I've had it stutter-step quite often but never a single freeze, and I think I'm up to like 14 hours with the game. Are all you 360 peeps having this problem?
Old 08-27-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Can't say about the 360, but it completely locked up my PS3 a few times, and a few other times, I'd have to quit the current level and go back to the map after being 'locked' into an area. Seems sporadically keen on enemies being offscreen and inaccessible...can't move on until you kill 'em, but there's no way to tell where they are or if you can even attack them from a distance.

I didn't have any trouble my first two times through, I think it was, but every time I've played since, it's either locked up or caused me to restart a level.
Old 08-27-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
Pretty much this.

A lot Xbox 360 games I have display an arrow at the top of the screen showing you exactly where to go.
When you're playing a 3d game, that arrow can be invaluable, simply because it's easy to overlook something in a 3d space. This came into play with me last night while playing Mass Effect, along with markers on the make signaling destinations.
Old 08-27-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
When you're playing a 3d game, that arrow can be invaluable, simply because it's easy to overlook something in a 3d space. This came into play with me last night while playing Mass Effect, along with markers on the make signaling destinations.
That's a fault of poor design, not 3D space.
Old 08-27-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I've only had one thankfully.
Old 08-27-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
That's a fault of poor design, not 3D space.
You've never find yourself at a loss for what to do in a 3D world that you would say was designed well? 3

Maybe I just get lost easily.
Old 08-27-10, 12:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

If i buy something in a store, is the effect permanent? If I buy something else, does it replace it? If I quit/die and continue, must I buy them again? These are gaming basics that remain unexplained and piss me the hell off. If you are going to have a money and item system, you must also have an inventory system to use and equip things. This game seems to jumble numerous genres together, yet fail at all of them. Sucks since I was super excited for it.
i'm sorry, but this forum only has room for one question asking douchebag!
Old 08-27-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
i'm sorry, but this forum only has room for one question asking douchebag!
Just quoting for posterity.
Old 08-27-10, 12:57 PM

sorry, no further questions.
Old 08-27-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
You've never find yourself at a loss for what to do in a 3D world that you would say was designed well? 3

Maybe I just get lost easily.
Oh, absolutely, sometimes that's part of the fun (like in Metroid). But there's a difference in getting lost and being able to discover where to go and just being lost because the level/area is designed poorly. It's probably one of those things that can't be explained well in words (at least by me), but it's definitely a subconscious thing. There can be poorly designed 2D games that you can get needlessly lost in as well (there's plenty in the NES era, for sure), so I'm just saying it's not really based on the game being 2D or 3D.
Old 08-27-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
I've had it stutter-step quite often but never a single freeze, and I think I'm up to like 14 hours with the game. Are all you 360 peeps having this problem?
I haven't played much. Played through the demo 1.5 times (the first .5 was the kiddo before school). No issue, bought it.

Played a little that afternoon, including local co-op after school. No issue.

Didn't touch it again until last night. Loaded up, went to the map, it popped two achievements from the previous session (wtf?) and then froze. Not unprecedented, Game Room is notorious for freezing when 2 achs unlock simultaneously. Software issue.

Reset the xbox, got back into the game. Made it halfway through the first level, went into the beverage shop, bought a few things, went into the "Status" screen to see my new stats and it froze.

So, I haven't even seen the 2nd level yet because I haven't played all the way through the first one by myself
Old 08-27-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That blows.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.