Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,484 Likes on 4,436 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Software bugs? We don't need no software bugs

You keep the themes and avatars. Still unclear about the free DLC though. The blurb on the PSN store looks like it's a rental as well.

Don't like the auto-renew-or-cancel policy AT ALL!
Old 07-02-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl
On the surface, you shouldn't. But if the fear/paranoia about having a older phat PS3 go YLOD on you is high enough, this is a (relatively) cheap way to upgrade to a cooler/quieter Slim and be under a new warranty. If you aren't worried about losing your current one, then this deal isn't that great.

Trade in three 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP games and get an extra $10 in credit. All games must have a value of more than $1.
Might want to hold off if you're trading in PS3 games. Their coupon this week is for an extra 30% (plus 10% if you have EDGE) for PS3 game trades, with a limit of 5.

If you have higher value games, the % deal is better.
Old 07-02-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You keep the themes and avatars. Still unclear about the free DLC though. The blurb on the PSN store looks like it's a rental as well.

Don't like the auto-renew-or-cancel policy AT ALL!
I'm still thinking that it depends on the DLC. If it's regular DLC that anyone can buy, it's a rental. If it's "premium" that only Plus members can get, it's yours to keep. The term "premium add-ons" makes it sound like it's something special that not just anyone can buy.

I haven't decided whether to get it yet either. I'm kind of disappointed because I thought it was going to be a higher level of service (with faster servers, extra features), but so far, all it really amounts to is a coupon club.
Old 07-02-10, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 80 gig fatty started having the lens issue so I went out and bought a new ps3 from best buy on Wed, on Thursday I network the fatty and the slim together to copy data and for kicks i throw a blu-ray into the fatty, it reads the disk so I quick transfer the data to the slim and take the fatty to gamestop trade it in for another slim, came home transferred the data again to the new gamestop machine and just got back from returning the best buy slim. Thank you guys so much for pointing out the gamestop deal, saved me 200 bucks.
Old 07-02-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 820 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirgey
my 80 gig fatty started having the lens issue so I went out and bought a new ps3 from best buy on Wed, on Thursday I network the fatty and the slim together to copy data and for kicks i throw a blu-ray into the fatty, it reads the disk so I quick transfer the data to the slim and take the fatty to gamestop trade it in for another slim, came home transferred the data again to the new gamestop machine and just got back from returning the best buy slim. Thank you guys so much for pointing out the gamestop deal, saved me 200 bucks.
Instead of doing the transfer again, couldn't you have just returned the system that you got from Gamestop to Best Buy?
Old 07-02-10, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Instead of doing the transfer again, couldn't you have just returned the system that you got from Gamestop to Best Buy?
its possible but i was worried about the serial number they print on the receipt and it not matching the box from gamestop.
Old 07-02-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 820 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirgey
its possible but i was worried about the serial number they print on the receipt and it not matching the box from gamestop.
Gotcha. Didn't realize they print that on the reciept.
Old 07-02-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason I decided to do a backup of my 320 GB hard drive, before doing the trade in. And yeah, it's really slow. As it's taking more than 3 hours, and it was only 150 GB of data.

I know can download videos, games, etc. but if I can do backup/restore that should be faster, or so I thought. Wait, I remembered this is the PSN, so yeah, this way is faster.
Old 07-02-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just one quick question while I continue to be wishy-washy on doing this GS deal:

for those who got YLOD, how many of you had no warning whatsover? As in, perfectly working machine to... *poof*... nothing. My near launch 60GB runs with no problems, so far, but if that can change at any moment, maybe it's best to let it go . Mine is well ventilated on an open shelf, but the shelf is just off the floor and I have pets - so I know it must be dusty as hell inside.
Old 07-02-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 321 Posts

Just one quick question while I continue to be wishy-washy on doing this GS deal:

for those who got YLOD, how many of you had no warning whatsover? As in, perfectly working machine to... *poof*... nothing. My near launch 60GB runs with no problems, so far, but if that can change at any moment, maybe it's best to let it go . Mine is well ventilated on an open shelf, but the shelf is just off the floor and I have pets - so I know it must be dusty as hell inside.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have two launch units and both work perfectly. I'd kick myself if I didn't jump on this "deal" and got the YLOD.
Old 07-02-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's a conspiracy. Gamestop put this deal out there just to make everyone paranoid about their current system dying.
Old 07-02-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. I'm keeping my launch 60GB unit until the damn thing catches fire.
Old 07-02-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I would have bought Plus if Sony allowed us to keep all of the "freebies" that we get. How I see it is that we pay $50 for a year to rent all of the games, demos, themes and avatars and then we have to give it back if we decide not to renew. No thanks.

I keep seeing this argument but it doesn't make sense. If you subscribe to Netflix, you don't get to keep everything from your streaming queue if you drop your subscription. It's the same basic concept. It's a subscription service, so of course they want you to keep subscribing. Plus, you DO get to keep everything you purchased at a discount, and the themes or avatars you might have picked up are yours to keep.
Old 07-02-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,484 Likes on 4,436 Posts

But of course with Netflix (or Gamefly for that matter) you have access to everything not just a few select titles you might already own. Not a really fair comparison.
Old 07-02-10, 01:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For downloadable games, I usually play them through once and I'm done. So if I drop my subscription in a year and no longer have access -- no big deal.
Old 07-02-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I never got around to buying Wipeout so it isn't that big of a deal to lose it 15 months from now if I decide not to renew. If I don't play it by then I guess I never will. Most of my Xbox Live Arcade games get played through once and forgotten so maybe renting them would have been a better idea if it had been an option and this cheap. For $3.33 a month Plus seems reasonable to me.

Hopefully by next year cards can be bought in stores to renew like Live Gold at a bigger discount. I really have no complaints about the $30 a year Live Gold has cost me and Microsoft gives me very little for free. 1 vs 100 was about it and that seems like it is gone for good now. So I'm definitely not complaining about the $50 for 15 months when I'm getting free games and add ons every month.
Old 07-02-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's the thing it isn't just the YLOD to be concerned about it is failure of the BD drive
yes these likely can be replaced at a cost less than a new unit but are you then looking at a temporary fix

I had a 40GB system that I kept in immaculate condition, it was well ventilated and such

I did a "forced" download of new PS3 firmware followed by a "required" Uncharted 2 update and once finished the system froze up while trying to connect into an Uncharted 2 game. I had no choice but to reset the system from the front on/off switch and after booting up the system failed to recognize any physical media.

timing coincidence? ... I find it hard to accept since I have read countless similar stories

but yes, no warning whatsoever.... YMMV
Old 07-02-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
here's the thing it isn't just the YLOD to be concerned about it is failure of the BD drive
yes these likely can be replaced at a cost less than a new unit but are you then looking at a temporary fix

I had a 40GB system that I kept in immaculate condition, it was well ventilated and such

I did a "forced" download of new PS3 firmware followed by a "required" Uncharted 2 update and once finished the system froze up while trying to connect into an Uncharted 2 game. I had no choice but to reset the system from the front on/off switch and after booting up the system failed to recognize any physical media.

timing coincidence? ... I find it hard to accept since I have read countless similar stories

but yes, no warning whatsoever.... YMMV
Same here...mine didn't fail when I did a software update, but it was working perfectly up until the day it froze while I was playing a game and no longer read any Blu-ray discs. Mine was also a 40GB unit kept on an open shelf in a temperature-controlled, air-purified room that saw minimal use. The lasers seem to just fail randomly with little or no warning.
Old 07-02-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goddamnit! Now you guys have me seriously considering this trade-in deal for my father. He has a launch system that runs hot and is quite loud. He doesn't play ps 1 or 2 games, so the bc is not a factor. He also needs a new contoller (analog stick sticks), so that's a $40-45 saving right there. In total it will cost ~$70 (after tax and deducting the cost he would have spent on a new controller).

I hate you guys.

Last edited by dino88; 07-02-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I too hate you guys. I now want to do this. I have an old 80 gb fatty. It doesn't run hot or loud or anything, but now I am afraid it may die when I have like 160 blurays... I may not be able to afford to replace it when the time came
Old 07-02-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

On the other side of the coin...the slim models haven't necessarily been out long enough to know for sure if the Blu-ray lasers in them are any more reliable. I would think they're less prone to the YLOD though.
Old 07-02-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As an added bonus for those of you with the Power Up promotion in your area, you'll get a total of 7000 points for your ps3 trade in (4000pts) and slim purchase (3000pts). I thought it would be 5000, but an employee just confirmed that you get points on the full amount of the slim, not just the $100 cash being spent.
Old 07-02-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man I just had the laser fixed in my fat PS3, but I'm seriously considering this trade-in deal. I like the way mine looks far more than the slims, but with my luck I have the YLOD coming next, so I might just bite it and get the new one.
Old 07-02-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider this but I still have an unopened brand new in the box 60GB from launch that I can always fall back on if needed. On the other hand, having a newer, cooler model is always nice. I just hate how it's so stripped down(not including the larger HDD of course) compared to the fat version, plus I prefer the glossy look even though it's a pain to keep clean.
Old 07-02-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by naitram
Man I just had the laser fixed in my fat PS3, but I'm seriously considering this trade-in deal. I like the way mine looks far more than the slims, but with my luck I have the YLOD coming next, so I might just bite it and get the new one.
forget how it looks, it's about how it operates

I had the same thoughts before but now in having i slim in house it is actually a much smaller and nicer looking unit than the phat

I do miss the touch sensitive buttons but it isn't a sticking point

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.