Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Software bugs? We don't need no software bugs

I second what Decker says. I have young children handling our Netflix disk, subsequently, we are on our 3rd disc...
Old 06-20-10, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the deal with PSN avatars? There's not enough of them. I know they are releasing new ones, but they kinda suck
Old 06-20-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's been a running problem on PSN for awhile. It looks like we are going to have to get PSN+ to get new avatars now.
Old 06-25-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/24/hu...g-to-bloomber/
Once again, Hulu is drawing some attention from a possible partnership with a video game console. According to a report by Bloomberg, Sony may be close to securing a deal to bring a Hulu subscription to the PlayStation Network. In fact, "the partnership could be announced as soon as next week."

Weeks ago, Reuters ran a similar report, claiming Xbox 360 and iPad would also offer a premium Hulu service. However, these claims have not yet been fruitful. Considering the clamor for Hulu on multiple devices, these reports can be the result of wishful thinking -- or Hulu is planning an aggressive multi-platform approach, not unlike Netflix.
Cool
Old 06-25-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sounds good to me.
Old 06-25-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might be a reson to justify PSN+ for Sony if they make Hulu part of it.
Old 06-25-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would help justify it but, for me, I'd currently only be paying for Hulu so I wouldn't bother. I don't play games on the PS3 enough, NF is free, my friends list is barren, I have no headset.

I'll continue paying Microsoft the CRAAAAAAAAAZY $2.50-$3 every month for a service I already use effectively. Plus they have ESPN and just an equal chance for Hulu.
Old 06-25-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
It would help justify it but, for me, I'd currently only be paying for Hulu so I wouldn't bother. I don't play games on the PS3 enough, NF is free, my friends list is barren, I have no headset.

I'll continue paying Microsoft the CRAAAAAAAAAZY $2.50-$3 every month for a service I already use effectively. Plus they have ESPN and just an equal chance for Hulu.
Thanks for the sales pitch!
Old 06-25-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great. Just a few months ago I finally got around to running a 30 foot HDMI cable under my floor boards and behind my TV from my PC so I could stream it. Well, at least I still won't have to pay for the Plus subscription. It's going to make it take longer for Hulu service to come to Roku and Wii though if Sony locks them in exclusively.
Old 06-25-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Thanks for the sales pitch!
You're welcome. Help yourself to the facts in there as well, free of charge!
Old 06-25-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
You're welcome. Help yourself to the facts in there as well, free of charge!
I'm glad that the PSN is free of charge.
Old 06-26-10, 12:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if anyone's seen this, but there's the full rundown of what's going to be available in PSN+:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/s...0-annually-bu/

With less than a week before PlayStation Network's premium subscription plan launches, many gamers still haven't the foggiest idea what it does -- which isn't terribly promising for a service that costs $50 a year, or even $18 for three months. Thankfully, the official PlayStation.Blog has stepped forward to clear up that noise, explaining more concretely what comes with PlayStation Plus. While you'll still get online network play for free -- assuming you've accepted Sophie's Sony's Choice -- if you choose to pay the extra fee you'll get free monthly games attached to your account, as long as you remain a subscriber.

Furthermore, PSN titles will be discounted up to 50 percent by the sheer power of your will, you'll get early access to betas, and you can try certain full games for an hour (not just a demo) before you buy them. You can also turn on an automatic update feature that will download patches and the like automatically, and the company hints it may even (finally) bring us cross-game voice chat. Without knowing which games are included, we still don't know if it's worth our annual Ulysses S. Grant, but at least now the service sounds like it's worthy of consideration.

Update: Looks like the US will get a free copy of Wipeout HD at launch, and European gamers will get LittleBigPlanet as well -- see our more coverage link for the full EU slate. Now that's more like it.
Seems like a losing proposition to me. You get to keep the games as long as you're a subscriber? No thanks.
Old 06-26-10, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Seems like a losing proposition to me. You get to keep the games as long as you're a subscriber? No thanks.
That's my favorite part of Netflix and Gamefly... keeping everything!

They do however let you keep all the free DLC, avatars, themes, episodes of Qore as well as anything you purchase at the discount. And if you ever resubscribe despite any lapse of time, you automatically get access to those games again.

I'm also wondering if they're going to announce Hulu support next week as part of Playstation+.

Here's the PS Blog link that provides a little more clarity: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ions-answered/

Last edited by tlwizard; 06-26-10 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
They do however let you keep all the free DLC, avatars, themes, episodes of Qore as well as anything you purchase at the discount. And if you ever resubscribe despite any lapse of time, you automatically get access to those games again.

I'm also wondering if they're going to announce Hulu support next week as part of Playstation+.

Here's the PS Blog link that provides a little more clarity: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ions-answered/
Here's what's coming to the European site in the first two months. It makes it a whole lot easier to decide if you want it once you know what you're actually getting.

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd

Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars
Month 2: August 4th – September 1st

PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD - 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation + Dynamic Theme (in production), Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)
Not sure. I actually have most of the freebies already and the discounts aren't mind-blowing. Still, I could probably squeeze $4.17 of value every month out of the service. I understand there will be network cards so you might be able to get the service even cheaper. I buy a lot of crap from the PSN store, so I might actually consider this...
Old 06-26-10, 02:11 AM

One of the things I'm really excited about is the Minis and the PS One Classics. The minis because I'm always looking for something good on the Go (now I get why they named it that! ((kidding))). I've taken a look at a ton of minis but have never taken the plunge. Also, the PS3 is my first foray into a Sony gaming system, so I missed out on most of the PS1 and PS2 games. I've enjoyed the free Syphon Filter and Spyro Dragon I got from Qore, so I'm always up for discovering new old games.

Still haven't decided myself whether or not to go for it, especially since I have a Qore sub, but I'm hoping they'll post more US specifics in the next few days. The 3 free months bonus (with a 1 year sub) is tempting however.
Old 06-26-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the things I'm really excited about is the Minis and the PS One Classics. The minis because I'm always looking for something good on the Go (now I get why they named it that! ((kidding))). I've taken a look at a ton of minis but have never taken the plunge. Also, the PS3 is my first foray into a Sony gaming system, so I missed out on most of the PS1 and PS2 games. I've enjoyed the free Syphon Filter and Spyro Dragon I got from Qore, so I'm always up for discovering new old games.

Still haven't decided myself whether or not to go for it, especially since I have a Qore sub, but I'm hoping they'll post more US specifics in the next few days. The 3 free months bonus (with a 1 year sub) is tempting however.

Hopefully they will give some sort of discount for people in your situation that already have Qore.
Old 06-26-10, 12:08 PM
Banned

The LittleBigPlanet Europe is getting, is that a disc with a case or do users need to download the game?
Old 06-26-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was actually looking forward to PSN+, but the features they ended up announcing just don't seem that enticing to me. I'll probably pass unless they announced some amazing new features or something...
Old 06-26-10, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by collven
Hopefully they will give some sort of discount for people in your situation that already have Qore.
One would hope. But I doubt that's gonna happen.

Originally Posted by dx23
The LittleBigPlanet Europe is getting, is that a disc with a case or do users need to download the game?
I believe it's a straight download.
Old 06-26-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They ought to give Plus members better servers/more priority for faster downloads, like Rapidshare.

Does the "automatic updates" feature mean it will download a patch when you're not there? I wouldn't want to leave the PS3 on all the time, so I hope they'd have a way to turn the system on and off remotely. Actually, it might get annoying if it insists on downloading patches for games you no longer play (or at least aren't going to play again for a while), if the servers aren't any faster.

One more thing: WTF do they mean with the Sophie's Choice metaphor?
Old 06-26-10, 01:21 PM

I believe you set the auto update for a scheduled time and it will turn the PS3 on and download and then turn off (standby). And I actually find the servers and downloads pretty fast if i'm not doing it during high traffic times (anytime other than 5-10pm). However, the catch is, if a lot of people start doing auto downloads during non-peak times, that will become a new peak time.

And the Sophie's Choice metaphor is regarding the loss of Linux or the OtherOS install. You can keep that option by choosing not to update firmware but you lose PSN access. Or you can choose PSN access and forego Linux.
Old 06-26-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a rumor that Hulu will be 10 bucks a month. That is far too much when Netflix does streaming with way more shows/options than Hulu has (and probably most of the shows hulu has) for a buck cheaper with the option of getting 1 disc out too.

Last edited by glassdragon; 06-26-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

$10 a month for Hulu seems insane. $10 a month for everything that Plus is supposed to do is still overpriced by half.
Old 06-26-10, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
$10 a month for everything that Plus is supposed to do is still overpriced by half.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but Plus is priced at $3.33 a month (if you get the bonus 3 month offer) or $4.16 a month (without the bonus.) So that's less than half of $10. Or did I misunderstand?

And in regards to Hulu... $10? That'll turn everyone back to torrenting in a heartbeat.
Old 06-26-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but Plus is priced at $3.33 a month (if you get the bonus 3 month offer) or $4.16 a month (without the bonus.) So that's less than half of $10. Or did I misunderstand?

And in regards to Hulu... $10? That'll turn everyone back to torrenting in a heartbeat.
PS+ would be a great service if I didn't already have so much of the stuff they are offering/discounting. Perhaps I'll wait a bit.

You should drop in on some Warhawk sometime. Haven't seen you in a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.