Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Software bugs? We don't need no software bugs

When you erase game data files are you also getting rid of all the add-on content for that game?

For example, I'd like to remove my Heavy Rain file for space, but I don't want to lose The Taxidermist dlc.
Old 03-18-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
When you erase game data files are you also getting rid of all the add-on content for that game?

For example, I'd like to remove my Heavy Rain file for space, but I don't want to lose The Taxidermist dlc.
As long as it's in your download history, you can always redownload for free.
Old 03-18-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

A friend of mine is having problems with his PS3 tonight, so that has prompted me to finally do a backup of my save files. When I went to the backup utility, and using a USB flash drive it says I need 44 GB free. I assume its wanting to back up the game installs also. Anyway to get just the save files (other than 1 at a time) or do I need to delete the installs?

And just to throw his problem out there: We setup some PSN downloads, and a few mins he paused all, then started another on resume, then the system froze. Had to use the switch on the back, and when it started back up, it would never load his profile, just the ps3 wave going back and forth. One time it loaded, but the XMB showed no options. We went into safe mode, and tried all the options except reformat, and still no profiles will load.

Last edited by stingermck; 03-18-10 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
As long as it's in your download history, you can always redownload for free.
Thanks. I ended up erasing Batman for now...I didn't realize it was that large of a file.
Old 03-20-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-21-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mz--coTb8h0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mz--coTb8h0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-21-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 820 Likes on 388 Posts

Is there any advance notice/hint of what the first deal will be? I really don't want to wake up at 3AM on a work day unless it's something really good.
Old 03-21-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-21-10, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Is there any advance notice/hint of what the first deal will be? I really don't want to wake up at 3AM on a work day unless it's something really good.
Sometimes. But not this time unfortunately.
Old 03-22-10, 12:29 AM

Pretty sweet tech... I wonder if Natal is advanced enough to do something like this hands-free.
Old 03-22-10, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Deal of the day is Dante's Inferno for $38.99

From 6am to 9am it says "For the Dark Knight in all of us." - Obviously Arkham Asylum. (LOL someone on CAG made a joke going "Wouldn't be it be funny if Amazon instead had it be Lego Batman).

9am to 1pm says "This storied fighting franchise returns for another bout." - Probably Tekken but could be Street Fighter IV

1pm to 4pm its "You might have played this RPG on your 360." CAG thinks its Star Ocean

4pm to 6pm "Help Lego Dr. Jones through your favorite cinematic moments.". Yeah I don't have to say any more on this one. :-)

6pm to 7pm its "Wave around your PS3." No doubt some sort of controller and while they doubt its it there's people wondering if its the Move. I'll be checking for sure anyway.

7pm to whatever the end time is "Don't "tapout" on this great MMA deal." UFC 2010 I'd guess.
Old 03-23-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

So this whole PS3 shortage thing is mind boggling. I called every single possible store in the metro Detroit area and not a single one has any in. This is absolutely ridiculous, it's like Sony doesn't want my money or something.
Old 03-23-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The shortage is not surprising. Stores don't order as many consoles during slow seasons. More people have been buying PS3s probably for a couple of the big games that came out. .
Old 03-23-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by steebo777
So this whole PS3 shortage thing is mind boggling. I called every single possible store in the metro Detroit area and not a single one has any in. This is absolutely ridiculous, it's like Sony doesn't want my money or something.
So order one off the internets: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=75780
Old 03-23-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Those must have just come back into stock at Gamestop - weren't there last week. Plus their in-store availability shows the closest store from me in 20 miles and that's in the dense Chicago 'burbs.

I picked up a slim Friday when Fry's had 8 of them. My 60Gb has been fine but I can't take the chance of being without my PS3. I guess I know how the 360 folks feel now (Ihave a 360 but could deal without it for a while).

Have to say I do like it more than I thought I would. The fat seems big and clunky my comparison.
Old 03-23-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Backordered. If they were in stock, they didn't last long.
Old 03-23-10, 03:49 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Backordered. If they were in stock, they didn't last long.
It says Usually Ships In 24 Hours when I click on the link.
Old 03-23-10, 06:47 PM

So I just got back from the East Coast Sony Move Meetup. Got to play with the Playstation Move, met with the various producers of the games (as well as the ModNation Racers producer), but... the highlight... that everyone cares about... straight from the God of War III review... meeting HipHopGamer!

What a douchehat. Acted like the whole place was his. Jumping in front of people because he had a "camera."

Luckily, during his interview with the Sports Champion producer, I'm in the background making faces at him. (for the most part, some guy was talking my ear off that I had to keep talking to.)

PS Playstation Move was pretty cool.
Old 03-24-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you talk more about the Move?

How much better than the Wii?
Old 03-24-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really only needed the first two panels here.

Old 03-24-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Newegg also currently has stock of 120gb PS3s, if anyone is looking:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16868110045
Old 03-24-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
It says Usually Ships In 24 Hours when I click on the link.
Weird. It said backordered when I checked yesterday and still does today.
Old 03-24-10, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3
Can you talk more about the Move?

How much better than the Wii?
I liked it. I'm still overly skeptical about motion control games, whichever company they come from, but I did like the Move controller better than the Wii's.

They had five televisions set up. 4 for the Move, 1 for ModNation Racers (which was a lot of fun, and has come a long way from the beta). The other four TVs had different games on them. TV 1 was Sports Champions, TV 2 was Move Party, TV 3 was Office Chair something and I didn't stand around TV 4 long enough to see what it was (it might have been another Move Party since those allowed 4 people to play at once.) Each game had it's respective producer with it which was cool.

Anyway, Sports Champion has 6 games, two which were playable. (The game code was dated March 4 and it was "pre-alpha." All the stuff was Pre-Alpha, and it all looked and handled as well as anything on the Wii. On top of that, it was in HD.) One of the playable games was Gladiator Duel. Basically Soul Calibur, kick the shit out of people. Everybody was loving this, everyone wanted to give it a try. I saw on the loading screen however that table tennis was playable. So after hours of people playing Gladiator duel, the producer had heard his fair share of "This is gonna put the Wii in the grave. Roger, who?", he was just hanging back drinking some beers. I approached him and asked if I could play the Tabble Tennis. He genuinely perked up because both he and I knew that tabble tennis could very easily display how adept the Move actually is. Anyone can swing a sensor to nail someone with a hammer and sword. That's easy. But table tennis is different.

Which is what he warned me about. He said it was sort of a steep learning curve, what with the 1:1 motion tracking, and so on. He played a round for me to show it off, show what it could do in case I utterly failed and sucked when I played. I could tell just by watching that this was immensely more intricate (if ping pong can be intricate) than Wii Table Tennis. And once I started playing, if it wasn't like actually playing tabble tennis, then it was the closest thing imaginable. I did fairly well against the first oppenent. The producer seemed impressed, asked me to keep playing so he could watch, and started asking me a bunch of questions about how I felt it handled, how it compared to the "competition" and so on.

I missed a bunch of shots when I went into "wii mode" which is simply where I stick the motion controller out in the path of the ball. With the Move you can hit the ball straight up, straight down, completely off to the side, it follows every nuance of how your wrist turns and your position on screen. I completely whiffed some balls, shot some into the crowd... but once I got the hang of it, I was slicing and curving and spinning pretty good. The one thing I never quite figured out was how to serve, but luckily the game had a serve save mechanic which helped me out. I did not ask if there was a way to "tone down" the Move's abilities to be more like the Wii, but that was something my gf asked later on.

I didn't really notice any lag in my game. It looked like there was a small hint of lag in the Gladiator Duel game. No lag it seemed in the Move Party (Mario Party/Wario Ware). And then I can't even begin to describe the Office Chair escape game, nor if there was any lag present (I didn't hear anyone complain though.)

Overall, the Move felt incredibly comfortable in my hand (and I have larger hands), once I adjusted, it was easy to use the buttons. Also, it looked a lot cooler in person than it does in videos, which was a relief. It's also smaller than I expected it to be.

There were a bunch of dbags there that took away from the fun. One was a Nintendo Fanboy, who won a raffle game, refused to sell it to anyone under retail price ("I'll charge you the same exact price as if you walked into a Gameshtop.") and denigrated the Move controller in support of the Wii ("I guess they can't call it a Z button because Nintendo already has that and many other patents.") And then the videogame reviewer video blog people that would jump into someone's game saying "I just need to get my cutaway shots" but would then play for ten minutes. They were yelling and cussing and caring more about making a scene for themselves with the Move than actually enjoying the Move.

Hopefully something in there is of interest and what you were looking for. Be happy to answer any more questions if you got 'em.
Old 03-24-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Did you happen to ask if those were temporary titles for the games because I'm with CheapyD on this one. With such generic names for launch titles, they're just asking for failure. They sound no better than the third party shovelware that plagues the Wii.
Old 03-24-10, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Did you happen to ask if those were temporary titles for the games because I'm with CheapyD on this one. With such generic names for launch titles, they're just asking for failure. They sound no better than the third party shovelware that plagues the Wii.
Sports Champions menu screen said "Name subject to change." And I think the producer said they hadn't necessarily landed on a title yet. Don't know about Move party. And the Office Chair game seemed pretty set in its ways on all accounts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.