Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers - The War for Cybertron (Activision, NOT Movie based!)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-08-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://kotaku.com/5421996/transforme...obots-in-gears

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index...howtopic=64957

Quoted from the forum link above where Kotaku got the news as the site is kind of slow -

Just got the new Game informer Today and Didn't think much till I looked at the top corner.

"Transformers: War For Cybertron, A six page exclusive review. PG 48"

And Holy hell we are getting a new TF game!

Sad part is it's not tied to any continuity. As the name suggests it's pretty much War Within but the Video Games on telling it seems. It's taking cues from Gears of war as a 3rd Person over the shoulder shooter. Will have a Autobot and Decepticon Campaign. They keeping quiet on Multiplayer but it will have some sort of Online modes. Like the Armada game you will be able to choose which bot you want for a mission but the other bots not chosen will be your teams AI. Enemies will drop weapons which is interchangeable. And like the movie games we won't be confined to land vehicles only. And transforming plays a good deal into gameplay.

Not a lot of vehicle mode pics, about the only one is Megatrons which has him as a less pointy version of Animateds Cybertron mode though he looks more tankish than flight capable. Most bots seem a mix between G1 and War Within with a few more influences here and there. Prime looks like they took the War Within model and just added his normal dual windows, Megatron is a more angular version of Classics (Gun) robot mode. I see an Ironhide which looks very slimmed down almost like a red Kup. I see a bot that I'm guessing is Blitzwing (closely based on his Animated form) holding a giant spiked mace weapon. Soundwave is ... well Soundwave. Like every other Con in here he is a tad sharp around the edges but He retains his classic head, chest and shoulder weapon. Another Bot is shown fighting Prime (who is holding a giant dual bladed axe) in what looks like a CR facility or holding cells in the background)

All in all it looks pretty sweet. Release is for 2010 for 360, PS3, and PC
I'm trying to download the scans that were posted now but the site isn't loading for me

Kind of cool to have a Transformers game not based on the movie or a specific cartoon. Obviously game play will be everything, and i'm sure "Gears" turns off some folks here but it intrigues me.

Got the scans, the design looks pretty nice:

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-08-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Transformers - The War for Cybertron (Activision, NOT Movie based!)

That looks awesome!

We finally got a good Batman game now it looks like we are getting a (hopefully) good transformers game?

Awesome!
Old 12-09-09, 12:32 AM

oh this has potential...
Old 12-09-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

remember, even http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/763/763281p1.html sounded ok at first.
Old 12-09-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I bet this will suck. The whole '3rd person shooter reminiscent of Gears of War' makes me guess it'll have a pretty linear path. A truly great Transformers game would have to take more of a sandbox approach.
Old 12-09-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
remember, even http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/763/763281p1.html sounded ok at first.
I ignored that immediately since it was based off the movie

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I bet this will suck. The whole '3rd person shooter reminiscent of Gears of War' makes me guess it'll have a pretty linear path. A truly great Transformers game would have to take more of a sandbox approach.
Really? I don't think Transformers in particular automatically screams sandbox style to me, but then again i'm fairly particular about sandbox games.
Old 12-09-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For me, Transformers has always been about characters I know on all sides of the war. There's never been much "cannon fodder" in my experience. So I can't really imagine a game that isn't a series of big name boss battles.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I don't see it being accepted by gamers or fans.
Old 12-09-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Really? I don't think Transformers in particular automatically screams sandbox style to me, but then again i'm fairly particular about sandbox games.
I think the transforming is pretty pointless in a straight up shooter. What, you're going to turn into a Volkswagon bug or Mack truck in the middle of a firefight? I guess they could throw in some chase/race type levels, but why even bother with the transformers property at that point? You could do the same thing with any shooter and just have the lead character hop into a car/truck/plane/whatever. To actually capitalize on the transforming, you just about have to have situations where you can go incognito, disguised as your vehicle. I don't see that happening in a 3rd person shooter.
Old 12-09-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cybertron doesn't have many German automobile manufacturers, fyi.
Old 12-09-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt it has American truck manufacturers either, but they seem to have kept Optimus Prime's design.
Old 12-09-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen anyone in non-robot form yet.
Old 12-09-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're right. I suppose Prime could turn out to be an alien vehicle with two large front windshields, a big steel grill, six tires and a design that could coincidentally accommodate an earth-made cargo trailer.
Old 12-09-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Cybertron doesn't have many German automobile manufacturers, fyi.
You obviously haven't been to Cybertron lately.
Old 12-09-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right. I suppose Prime could turn out to be an alien vehicle with two large front windshields, a big steel grill, six tires and a design that could coincidentally accommodate an earth-made cargo trailer.
Your view of the universe is extremely Earth-centric. I think it's a bold claim to make that an ancient race of robots couldn't have come up with designs you find familiar eons before we became sentient. Racist!
Old 12-09-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the transforming is pretty pointless in a straight up shooter. What, you're going to turn into a Volkswagon bug or Mack truck in the middle of a firefight? I guess they could throw in some chase/race type levels, but why even bother with the transformers property at that point? You could do the same thing with any shooter and just have the lead character hop into a car/truck/plane/whatever. To actually capitalize on the transforming, you just about have to have situations where you can go incognito, disguised as your vehicle. I don't see that happening in a 3rd person shooter.
I dunno, there was an old Anime Mech inspired FPS called Shogo awhile back that had a transforming Mech that aided in certain stages. I think you could apply the "why use this specific property" for a lot of games, and the answer is always because of brand recognition. The appeal is always getting to control familiar characters.
Old 12-09-09, 08:14 PM
gamer for life

a Transformers game as good as the new Batman game would make me feel 10 again, and so excited about a new Transformers episode... I would wake every Saturday EARLY like it was Christmas morning....I just know its not going to happen though.
Old 12-10-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why can't someone just make a GENERATION 1 game? That's where the majority of the fanbase lies anyway....
Old 12-10-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Why can't someone just make a GENERATION 1 game? That's where the majority of the fanbase lies anyway....
Because every level would be stopping the Decepticons from gathering more Energon cubes. Or, they could switch it up, let us play as the Decepticons and we'd get to fill, carry and stack Energon cubes every level.
Old 12-10-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How incognito were they really when they have huge autobot/decepticon logos all over them? I don't think they were really "disguised" much anyway.

The Transformers Armada game from years ago wasn't that bad, actually.
Old 12-11-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 12-12-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by outer-edge View Post
Because every level would be stopping the Decepticons from gathering more Energon cubes. Or, they could switch it up, let us play as the Decepticons and we'd get to fill, carry and stack Energon cubes every level.
I didn't mean base the game on plot lines from G1, but base the character models themselves on G1.....not any of this hybrid cartoon/movie redesigned crap....and no Armada/Energon/RID/Animated designs either....
Old 12-13-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be good I s'pose, but the deck is definitely stacked against it.
Old 12-18-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some more info and a short interview - http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...tieger-168910/

TFW2005: Are any familiar voices returning for the game?
HMS: I think there is a law against making a TF game without Peter Cullen. Side note: he is awesome to work with, his voice is undeniably Optimus.
TFW2005: Will the game offer online and/or offline co-op modes?
HMS: Yup, fans will be able to play the campaigns online with their friends through co-op modes (first time in a Transformers game) or go head to head in intense multiplayer modes. We’ll be divulging more details in the near future, but I can tell you this much – since day 1 on this project MP has been important to what we are doing.
TFW2005: There have been rumors that this game will be heavily influenced by Gears of War. Is this accurate?
HMS: I think a lot of that comes from the fact that we are using the same engine – the Unreal Engine - and that we are 3rd person. However there are some notable differences. 1 - We are not a cover-based shooter (you think Megatron would take cover?), 2 - Transform anywhere, 3 – Special abilities add an additional layer of strategic depth, 4 – finally, Transformers has always been a team based property and each character has unique abilities so teamwork becomes pivotal. NONE of this should take away from the awesomeness that is Gears, honestly if gamers compare us positively to one of the all-time best games ever, I am thrilled!
Old 01-14-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 01-14-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gotta say, I'm a sucker for transformers and hated the last two(Movie-tie in) games but this looks quite promising!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.