Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Borderlands

Originally Posted by pinata242
What if you generally despise FPS games but dig RPG games and love Borderlands?

I guess "despise" is a strong word. I'm definitely ambivalent about them for the most part. I'll play the unique ones with a good setting and story (Bioshock). But those are few and far between in the genre for me.

This game is FPS enough that my Halo friends should be all over it and RPG/loot/co-op enough for me to enjoy.

I have been taunting my friends on Facebook that I guess math and stats scare them off
Isn't Borderlands basically set up like an FPS-MMO-RPG? That doesn't sound super appealing to me in general, as I don't especially like any of those...but I do like the idea of a co-op shooter. Not having a 360, L4D is the one franchise that I'm genuinely jealous that I don't have, as it looks like a blast.

I'll definitely stick with Uncharted 2 for now, but I'll keep an eye on this to see if folks stick with it. My guess is that it will fade away when CoD comes out...sort of like Battlefield Bad Company.

Strictly co-op right? Hook up with friends, go on quests and shoot critters?
Old 11-02-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Single player and online co-op, yes. There's no competitive play. The story is that you're 1 of (up to) 4 mercenaries coming to this planet in search of a fabled alien treasure.

It's crazy fun and you should check it out.
Old 11-02-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like fun...like L4D w/ a less narrative and more loot focus.
Old 11-02-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Just started playing for an hour. Loved the main menu screen with that robot doing different funny things. I love rpgs but not so much with fps. But I loved Fallout 3 so I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Dumb question ; How do you use health packs? I found two and when i go to my inventory they dont show up.
Old 11-02-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

There are two kinds: one is instant heal, if you are at 100% you won't be able to pick it up.
The others heal X points over Y seconds, and those you have to go into your inventory and activate them. If you're "finding" them odds are they are the instant heal ones. and you used them immediately upon picking them up.

I don't know if it's possible to have less narrative than L4D
but yes, that comparison works.

I don't see the MMO part of the game, though I do see the FPS/RPG as long as you're thinking Diablo as the RPG.
Old 11-02-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haha DtCarson is right I was just listening to three red lights and someone asked them if you needed to play L4D 1 in order to get part 2 and they said if you've seen the cover of part 1 you know enough
Old 11-02-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chess
Sounds like fun...like L4D w/ a less narrative and more loot focus.
I just consider it Fallout 3 with a sense of humor and a single general purpose: blow stuff up with cool weapons to get cooler weapons.
Old 11-02-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

OK, one minor complaint and one possible glitch.
I really don't like how the cars handle (at least the one I have been driving.) It's just not very intuitive, especially if I'm going fast.

Glitch: I was trying to get into a building. I jumped on a tractor thing. I then jumped toward a balcony and did not make it. I fell to the ground, trapped between the tractor and the building. I could not get out. I eventually had to save/quit, this is one of the times when the 'checkpoint' type save is a benefit.
Old 11-02-09, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The cars handle very well once you get the hang of it. Push up on the left stick to go in the direction the camera is facing. Push down to go away from it. Use the right stick to move the camera.
Old 11-02-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had the same complaint about the driving, but I'm used to it now as I'm the driver on our co-op sessions. Try going back to Brutal Legend after getting used to Borderlands
Old 11-03-09, 01:02 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same complaint about the driving, but I'm used to it now as I'm the driver on our co-op sessions. Try going back to Brutal Legend after getting used to Borderlands
I was switching back and forth between the two for a week or so and I'd always screw up driving for the first ten minutes of my gaming session.

My big problem with the controls is that I've played so much Halo over the years that every now and then I go to reload my weapon and wind up deploying my turret.
Old 11-03-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep throwing grenades because of all the battlefield I've been playing
Old 11-03-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I keep throwing grenades because of all the battlefield I've been playing
same here.
Old 11-03-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I just consider it Fallout 3 with a sense of humor
I thought Fallout 3 had a great sense of humor...pretty dark though.

and a single general purpose: blow stuff up with cool weapons to get cooler weapons.
This sounds pretty good.

Mostly, I just find the idea of co-op appealing...and I wonder why I'd rather play the co-op in Borderlands than the co-op in Uncharted 2...or is that not a good comparison.

And which of you cocknockers would show up for some PS3 co-op anyway?
Old 11-03-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Fallout 3 had a great sense of humor...pretty dark though.
Fallout 3 had some levity in the details, but by and large, the game was pretty straight-laced. I thought anyway.

Mostly, I just find the idea of co-op appealing...and I wonder why I'd rather play the co-op in Borderlands than the co-op in Uncharted 2...or is that not a good comparison.

I still haven't had the opportunity to do any co-op yet, but I've really been trying to make time. There's quite a few PS3 DVDTalkers in Borderlands so if we set a good time, I'd imagine we could get a four-person party started pretty easily. And I think regarding the Uncharted/Borderlands dilemma... I think it makes sense. Uncharted is such a perfect single-player experience that you almost don't want to sully your experience with a multi-player mode that will undoubtedly not live up to your expectations. Borderlands, on the other hand, feels like it was meant to be an MMO.
Old 11-03-09, 04:26 PM

I haven't tried out the co-op yet but I'm in if anyone wants to add me.
Old 11-04-09, 04:29 AM

I just consider it Fallout 3 with a sense of humor and a single general purpose: blow stuff up with cool weapons to get cooler weapons.
I'd say Fallout 3 is funnier than anything in Borderlands. Just a different type of humor though.
Old 11-04-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really loving my special ability. I'm a Lvl 13 Mordecai/Sniper and I've been pumping all my skill points into Bloodwing. There's really something oddly satisfying about unleashing a bloodthirsty hawk-like creature upon my enemies and having it shred them to pieces. And my sniping is improving. Staring down the scope, popping a goon in the head and watching him go up in flames is frippin sweet.
Same here
Old 11-04-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
OK, one minor complaint and one possible glitch.
I really don't like how the cars handle (at least the one I have been driving.) It's just not very intuitive, especially if I'm going fast.

Glitch: I was trying to get into a building. I jumped on a tractor thing. I then jumped toward a balcony and did not make it. I fell to the ground, trapped between the tractor and the building. I could not get out. I eventually had to save/quit, this is one of the times when the 'checkpoint' type save is a benefit.

Same thing happened to me, I was trying to jump down on something and got stuck and could not get out, had to revert to a save, then walk all the way back to where I was. I also got my car stuck the same way, but I eventually got it out (reminded me of austin powers in the golf cart).
Old 11-04-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can melee your car and usually get it back to a drivable position.
Old 11-04-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can melee your car and usually get it back to a drivable position.

really? cool I'll have to try that next time. I hit the turbo and the car went flying into some rocks and got stuck. Car is bad news for me, I just run everyone over, much easier than shooting them, plus the sound it makes when u run them over makes me laugh.
Old 11-04-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Car is bad news for me, I just run everyone over, much easier than shooting them, plus the sound it makes when u run them over makes me laugh.
Downside is that the EXP you get is minimal.
Old 11-04-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Really having a fun time with this but have a really hard time figuring out which weapons are better than others. One might have a value of $1500 but do 57 damage, while another only valued at $127 deals 90 damage.

Anyone else with the PS3 version having pretty bad sound issues? Just cuts in and out for some reason.
Old 11-04-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Really having a fun time with this but have a really hard time figuring out which weapons are better than others. One might have a value of $1500 but do 57 damage, while another only valued at $127 deals 90 damage.
Value has more to do with level than stats. You just need to compare everything and decide what's important to you for your play style.

For example, I've been rocking SMGs lately (up to a level 25 proficiency). I got one that does like 87x4 damage, but has a shitty accuracy. That's ok, because I run up and get in your face anyway. Plus I have a +75% or so accuracy based on my proficiency. Between that, my Phoenix skill, and Phasewalk shocking and blasting everything, I leave a trail of broken spiderant carcasses in my wake.

If you're a sniper, damage and accuracy are your highest priority, not fire rate or clip size. If you're a berserker, maybe you want a bladed pistol with a +100% or +200% melee damage and don't care about the other stats.
Old 11-04-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an avowed Diablo II junkie so this game hits all the right places. It has surpassed Batman as my GotY so far.

I actually think Modern Warfare 2 might unseat it but we shall see. Borderlands is a damn good game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.