Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 05:45 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Borderlands

I don't have a PS3, though I will finally get one soon because there is finally enough first party games to get it...so my list of top ten games of 2009 is as follows

1:Borderlands
2:Batman
3:Halo ODST
4:Shadow Complex
5:Resident Evil 5
6:Wolverine
7:Godfather 2
8:Prototype
9:Star Ocean
10:Street Fighter 4

Now admittedly it has been a weak year for games compared to last year, and the BIG players are starting to hit next week, but Borderlands just has the "it" factor that is hard to explain. I am also not a fan of music games, so I am sure my list would be different if I was.
Old 11-01-09, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up Borderlands for PS3 yesterday, mainly based on everyone's recommendations, and I'm having a blast with it. Quick question -- is anyone else having a problem where all sound randomly drops out for about a second or two? It's doesn't cause me any problems while playing, but it is kind of annoying.
Old 11-01-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I have a problem from time to time with my game loading up and and the sound being choppy. I then reboot the system and it fixes it. I'm playing it on the PS3.
Old 11-01-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I played Sacred 2 and got bored a lot quicker. The weapon management was nowhere near as accessible, and I couldn't find a good viewing angle: too close and I had no idea where things were around me, too far and I couldn't tell what the heck I was fighting. The environment also wasn't as fun to travel in.

So far Borderlands >>> Sacred 2 for me. I haven't got enough time into Batman to really have an opinion.
Of the 360 games released in 2009 in the US that I have played, and not counting Fallout 3 GotY since it came out in 2008, Borderlands is easily my favorite. I can't say if it's the "best" of 2009, but it's the one I think I'll get the longest and most enjoyment out of.
Of course, the other new 2009 games I've gotten or played have been
Raiden Fighters Aces
Sonic Genesis Collection (which would win for best anthology)
Sacred 2 (got boring)
Batman (not exciting so far)
Prototype (got boring quick)
The demos of Red Faction, Ghostbusters, Wolfenstein, and Wet made me realize I don't want them, at least for full price.

I guess garden gnomes are fragile and very easily broken, so having survived Pandora, they are worth a lot. Or that's what passes for piggy banks on Pandora.
Old 11-01-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

My neighbor convinced me to pick this up, as he wanted to play co-op with someone. Fun game, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

However, when I joined him to play together, he chose the Marley and some-different-name quest. It was effin difficult, since I was at such a low level, so I bowed out. He had killed Marley before I left, and now it shows up as completed in my single-player game. I think I put a whopping 3 shots into that mutt, so it's not like I did anything. Am I able to do that quest completely in my single player game?
Old 11-01-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,372 Likes on 934 Posts

definitely not game of the year, but probably in the top 5. Batman gets my vote for GOY, at least until COD:MW2 hits.
Old 11-01-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
definitely not game of the year, but probably in the top 5. Batman gets my vote for GOY, at least until COD:MW2 hits.
Batman is a really good game but I still haven't finished it yet. It just doesn't pull me back to play it time and time again like Borderlands has.
Old 11-01-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Am I able to do that quest completely in my single player game?
Yeah, he'll back back to kill again if you wish. You'll get credit for that half of the assignment already so, really, you can just kill the other one and be able to "Turn In" the assignment for full credit.

This game is just too much damn fun. My buddy and I are tearing through playthrough 2. I redid my Siren's skill points tonight to better suit my play style and I'm just lighting everything on fire.

Siren Mercenary:
+52% SMG Damage
+16 SMG Ammo regeneration

I have 3 SMGs equipped and I just use whichever one is necessary. I always have full ammo thanks to the +16 regen. With all my Elemental modifiers, my SMGs are poisoning, shocking, or igniting everything. Then I go into Phoenix mode with each kill and anything I touch erupts in flames. All while using my Level 4 Incendiary Phasewalk + Shock with 13 second cooldown and 2.4 second bonus for each kill.

Last edited by pinata242; 11-02-09 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
But not even Batman can hold a candle to Uncharted2, or even the new R&C game. Basically, if you think Borderlands is GOTY, you need to play more games.
Old 11-02-09, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Basically, if you think Borderlands is GOTY, you need to play more games.
I've played about a billion games this year, and Borderlands is probably right at the top of the list for me. So maybe it's not a matter of needing to play more games, but more so, uh...a matter of opinion?
Old 11-02-09, 04:18 AM

Another question... I'm at lvl 12 or 13 and I have two weapons (I think they're both shotguns) that I can't use until I'm at least a lvl 22 player. Can I stash these somewhere until I reach lvl 22 or do I just have to sell them?

Last edited by Dorsalphin; 11-02-09 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:15 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
But not even Batman can hold a candle to Uncharted2, or even the new R&C game. Basically, if you think Borderlands is GOTY, you need to play more games.
LOL...besides Uncharted 2, I think I have played just about every game out this year....as already said, matter of opinion. I have played the first uncharted, and Borderlands is better then that, thought Uncharted 2 does look sweet.
Old 11-02-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dorsalphin
Another question... I'm at lvl 12 or 13 and I have two weapons (I think they're both shotguns) that I can't use until I'm at least a lvl 22 player. Can I stash these somewhere until I reach lvl 22 or do I just have to sell them?
There's no way to stash items long term. Stores have a buy-back option, but I doubt that persists across games.

I'm sure that's a nice shotgun right now, but by the time you reach level 22, you'll probably find something equally good or better

Don't forget to repair any Claptraps you find along your path in various locations. Fixing them rewards you with a Backpack Upgrade that adds 3 slots to your inventory (as long as you remember to use it from your item list!).
Old 11-02-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,372 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242

I have 3 SMGs equipped and I just use whichever one is necessary. I always have full ammo thanks to the +16 regen. With all my Elemental modifiers, my SMGs are poisoning, shocking, or igniting everything. Then I go into Phoenix mode with each kill and anything I touch erupts in flames. All while using my Level 4 Incendiary Phasewalk + Shock with 13 second cooldown and 2.4 second bonus for each kill.
the only downside i've run into with having multiple guns w/ same ammo type is once you run out, all your guns are worthless. obv. not a problem in your game situation b/c of the regen, but you don't play that character it's a problem.
Old 11-02-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My problem is the clip size, but my proficiency has reduced the reload time well enough to offset that
Old 11-02-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I can tell the BuyBack doesn't even persist between multiple visits in the same game/session. Be nice if it did.

Yeah, I'm cycling through weapons semiregularly now. I have one weapon of each style, and when I get a new one that is at least similar in spec to one I already have, I'll try it out to see how it feels. The Backpack Upgrade is nice, but it's weird that it's an activatable item. (although I did have inventory of 16/15 once just after getting one.) I like incendiary and shocking weapons.
I've got two shields I am keeping till I hit the appropriate level, although I think the one I have that regenerates my health will be more useful than the one that's +30% HP (or whatever).
I alternate between using the one that has the most ammo, and the one that has the least (unless there's a clear benefit to using a specific kind, like shotgun for close quarters or sniper for range.)

I have only one potential complaint so far about Borderlands. I don't really see a need to play it again with another character, since anyone can use any weapon, the only differentiating factors are the special actions and I assume the skill trees. Most of the skills I've selected have been passive (increase mag size, more HP) and singleplayer oriented. Although I will do so if I can get my wife to play a co-op offline game. I don't know if the skill trees are diverse enough to make the replay attractive.
Old 11-02-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They are very different. Hunter is the sniper and thief, Soldier is the support, Berserker is the brawn, and Siren is the chaos/assassin (I'm biased).
Old 11-02-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really loving my special ability. I'm a Lvl 13 Mordecai/Sniper and I've been pumping all my skill points into Bloodwing. There's really something oddly satisfying about unleashing a bloodthirsty hawk-like creature upon my enemies and having it shred them to pieces. And my sniping is improving. Staring down the scope, popping a goon in the head and watching him go up in flames is frippin sweet.
Old 11-02-09, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

They are very different. Hunter is the sniper and thief, Soldier is the support, Berserker is the brawn, and Siren is the chaos/assassin (I'm biased).
Having been playing with the Soldier for the better part of a game, I'd characterize him more as the generalist than the support. He can do most (but not all) of what each of the other classes can do, but he can't do it as well as any of them. He's basically the second best at everything.

Plus the turret is sweet.
Old 11-02-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
I've played about a billion games this year, and Borderlands is probably right at the top of the list for me. So maybe it's not a matter of needing to play more games, but more so, uh...a matter of opinion?
Pretty sure I agree with this...not the first part, but the second part.

If you dig FPS games, this and COD will appeal to you. If you dig third person action games, it's been a GREAT year with Uncharted, Batman and InFamous. Between Batman and Uncharted...it's a tossup for me. I prefer the gameplay in Batman but prefer the story and presentation of Uncharted.

This game is all co-op right? I tend to enjoy co-op much more than deathmatch, and if this game has legs, I may pick it up after the holidays.
Old 11-02-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Having been playing with the Soldier for the better part of a game, I'd characterize him more as the generalist than the support. He can do most (but not all) of what each of the other classes can do, but he can't do it as well as any of them. He's basically the second best at everything.

Plus the turret is sweet.
I'll clarify: The Soldier's Turret is support with all the area health regen and what-not it appears to do.
Old 11-02-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chess
Pretty sure I agree with this...not the first part, but the second part.

If you dig FPS games, this and COD will appeal to you. If you dig third person action games, it's been a GREAT year with Uncharted, Batman and InFamous. Between Batman and Uncharted...it's a tossup for me. I prefer the gameplay in Batman but prefer the story and presentation of Uncharted.

This game is all co-op right? I tend to enjoy co-op much more than deathmatch, and if this game has legs, I may pick it up after the holidays.
What if you generally despise FPS games but dig RPG games and love Borderlands?

I guess "despise" is a strong word. I'm definitely ambivalent about them for the most part. I'll play the unique ones with a good setting and story (Bioshock). But those are few and far between in the genre for me.

This game is FPS enough that my Halo friends should be all over it and RPG/loot/co-op enough for me to enjoy.

I have been taunting my friends on Facebook that I guess math and stats scare them off
Old 11-02-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you generally despise FPS games but dig RPG games and love Borderlands?

I guess "despise" is a strong word. I'm definitely ambivalent about them for the most part. I'll play the unique ones with a good setting and story (Bioshock). But those are few and far between in the genre for me.

This game is FPS enough that my Halo friends should be all over it and RPG/loot/co-op enough for me to enjoy.

I have been taunting my friends on Facebook that I guess math and stats scare them off

THat's me - I don;t like FPS games, but i picked this up on the weekend and got up to level 3 last night after hockey...and so far, I'm really enjoying it, even though it's been very basic fetch type quests for now.
Old 11-02-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ditto here. I don't despise FPSes, but I don't really like the competitive multiplayer FPSes much. I've played/beaten Halo 3 (single player and offline co-op), Bioshock, Fallout 3, CoD4 (single player), and like L4D SP, couch co-op, and online co-op, so that's the breadth of my FPS experience.
I'm more a fan of PvE or P+PvE than PvP.

It really is a very accessible amalgam of some of the most important parts of other big genres - which is basically what i said about Fallout 3 as well.

I like the Challenges as well, I think they add a little more direction to gameplay than Achievements by themselves do. That's one reason I use different weapon types, I want to increment my counters on each of them. I only wish there was an easier way to sort Complete/Incomplete challenges, or a faster way to navigate the list of challenges.
Old 11-02-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Big there, dtcarson. Just let me hide the challenges I've completed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.