Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Thinking of finally nabbing an Xbox 360 or PS3

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Fair enough. I didn't think of all the "extras"

I guess what I can glean from this thread and all the posts is this

For playing games, both systems are about the same. The cross platform is pretty close in most instances and both have some very good exclusives.

For online play 360 is king

For multimedia and music/video sharing ps3 is king.
Close. I still think that 360 has an edge in "standalone" gaming. But that might simply because of my taste in games: Amped 3, Dead Rising, PGR 3, Viva Pinata...(and a bunch more 360-only games that I can't recall at the moment)

Having said that, I'm still receiving great enjoyment from my 20 month old 80GB PS3.
Old 09-06-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Point me to a post. I can't recall a single time that I've brought up demos as a selling point to my knowledge. I don't mind eating crow, but I'm almost positive that I haven't, let alone multiple times like you are inferring.
Someone has brought it up before, but I'm not sure whether it was you or not. I'm not going to bother checking.
Old 09-06-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly think that the choice of exclusives between the two is entirely a matter of taste at this point. No doubt the year head-start and the simpler architecture gave 360 an early advantage, but it's a wash now.

Exclusive to PS3: Metal Gear Solid (timed), Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, Killzone, Warhawk, Gran Turismo, Flower, Pixeljunk Monsters/Eden

Exclusive to 360: HALO, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Ace Combat, Mass Effect, Forza, Viva Pinata, Shadow Complex, Crackdown, Braid (timed), GTA Expansions (timed)

Many of the best games this generation seem to be cross-platform: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, Bioshock, Orange Box, Batman, etc.

It may not be fashionable to say, but for my tastes, I'll take the PS3 Exclusives.

Last edited by chess; 09-07-09 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-07-09, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by chess
I honestly think that the choice of exclusives between the two is entirely a matter of taste at this point. No doubt the year head-start and the simpler architecture gave 360 an early advantage, but it's a wash now.

Exclusive to PS3: Metal Gear Solid (timed), Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, Killzone, Warhawk, Gran Turismo, Flower, Pixeljunk Monsters/Eden

Exclusive to 360: HALO, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Ace Combat, Mass Effect, Forza, Viva Pinata, Shadow Complex, Crackdown, Braid (timed), GTA Expansions (timed)

Many of the best games this generation seem to be cross-platform: Rock Band, Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, Bioshock, Orange Box, Batman, etc.

It may not be fashionable to say, but for my tastes, I'll take the PS3 Exclusives.
On behalf of sports gamers, there's one HUGE exclusive you didn't even mention as a PS3 selling point.

The 360 has a gaping hole in the baseball sim department, while Sony's MLB is arguably the best sports series out there currently. (It's in a dogfight with EA's NHL games.)
Old 09-07-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...and I forgot Left 4 Dead on the 360's behalf...so we'll call it a wash.