Reload this Page >

Thinking of finally nabbing an Xbox 360 or PS3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-02-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Mods, I don't frequent VGT much, so excuse me if this sort of thread is frowned upon. One of the reasons I stopped frequenting it was the retarded console bashing that tends to go on in video game related forums. Let's try to avoid that in this thread, please. On to the thread)

So... with the news of the PS3 slim and Xbox 360 price drop, I'm thinking of finally picking up one of those consoles. Right now, the PS3 seems to be in the lead because I also happen to need a second Blu Ray player, but I'm not completely decided.

I've largely avoided following the consoles for the past few years outside of major stories (Red Ring of Death, for example). I've tried going back and doing research, but it's difficult because a lot of the information is now out of date.

If anybody feels generous, please expound on whatever issues I need to consider.
Old 09-02-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Thinking of finally nabbing an Xbox 360 or PS3

I don't post too much in video game talk but from what I can tell...there is no bashing. The only thing I usually see is "Man, I wish that would come out for the console I have".

Depends on what you like and what you're into. Their all good systems. If you have a lot of friends who are on xbox live and online play is your thing; then have at it.

If you're into the single player experience than you honestly can't go wrong with an xbox 360 or PS3 - there are great games for both (Metal Gear, Boshock, Dead Space, GTA, etc...).

As for the Wii - it is a good time but in my opinion, it's kind of for the casual or reserved party player.....but there are still some great single player games as well. You also almost already know what you're going to get with Nintendo.

So there's my half-ass take on things.
Old 09-02-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I want to grab Ultimate Alliance 2, for sure.

I'm leaning towards the Xbox360, but that BluRay feature is just so tempting for the PS3. Have the red ring of death problems largely been fixed?
Old 09-02-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have two HDTVs? If so, I'd say the PS3 is a clear winner. At this point there are plenty of games on every console worth having. If you were someone who played a lot, I'd probably say the X360 is the better choice, but you're obviously not, since you're buying four years into this generation (this is an observation, not an insult).

Both consoles let you buy and rent movies and TV shows, although only the X360 has Netflix and only the PS3 has a web browser. The 360 has the better online, but it's $30-$50 a year.
Old 09-02-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

I think as with anyone who is in the market for one needs to ask, "for what main purpose and type of games?".

The big plus is both are $100 off so you're a winner right away. Each has their pros and cons but again it boils down to the core of both...games

I cannot comment on the PS3 aspect since I don't have one though I have thought about adding it. The BD player is a huge bonus as it's always had positive reviews. Built in WiFi and upgradable is added bonus. You also don't worry about a yearly online subscription. Not bad library of games but the online play is behind that of the 360 in terms of community and arcade.

The 360 doesn't offer a BD player and yes you have to pay for online play minus the free trials but it makes up plenty in the game area especially online. With titles like Gears and Halo it's solid and fun but others like COD continue to gain. The rise in coop games have helped also.
I'm still on my same 360 from 3yrs ago and no issues. Yet I know some who are on their 3rd or 4th. I know a long time back you could tell where the unit was made by the code and some swore some were better than others with less issues.

Take a look at the upcoming releases, forums and reviews and you'll get a idea with a better feel of which is right for you.
Old 09-02-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just go by what I see, and 95% of everyone I know own a 360. I own both and I hate the PS3. Mandatory installs that take 20 mins wear out their welcome after a while. Mine's basicly only used for a blu-ray player now. Plus, graphically, the Xbox 360 is still coming out the clear winner on a large number of games.
Old 09-02-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

if you plan on using the bluray at all on the tv it's hooked up to, i'd go ps3. i only have an xbox360 and it's a phenomenal gaming machine, but if you aren't going to use the machine primarily for gaming, the ps3 is the way to go.
Old 09-02-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I have all three current gen systems. I use my 360 for games and my PS3 for streaming video off my laptop and Blu-ray, and occasional rounds of BF1943.

So IMHO, if you want to play games, go with the 360. If you want to watch Blu-rays, the PS3 is a no-brainer.
Old 09-02-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's funny how, even 3 years later, it still comes down to BD movies. Although now, it's about the PS3 being a potential second player.

Although, I think you could say that the PS3 is in better shape as a gaming system, what with a lower price, replaceable HDD, Trophies, rumble controllers, and some better developer support.
Old 09-02-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
if you plan on using the bluray at all on the tv it's hooked up to, i'd go ps3. i only have an xbox360 and it's a phenomenal gaming machine, but if you aren't going to use the machine primarily for gaming, the ps3 is the way to go.
Agreed, I only have a 360 right now too but if Blu-ray is a concern and you just want to play a nice game here or there the PS3 is a better option.
Old 09-02-09, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

At this point, both consoles have great libraries. Most games are available on both; both consoles have some great exclusive games. As others have said, if BluRay is important, go with the PS3; if online -- either gaming or video (i.e. Netflix) -- is important, go with the 360.

Another thing to consider -- go to your local Best Buy where there will almost certainly be demo consoles set up. If you can pry the controllers away from the pack of 12-year-olds hanging around in front of them, spend about five minutes playing with each console. The controllers have different shapes and feels to them; some people really prefer one to another, and if you're one of those people, it may influence which console to buy.
Old 09-02-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Exactly - I have both a 360 and a PS3 but do almost ALL of my gaming on xbox because I can't stand the ps3 controller... I just don't like the way it feels compared to the 360.
Old 09-02-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Drexl
Although, I think you could say that the PS3 is in better shape as a gaming system, what with a lower price, replaceable HDD, Trophies, rumble controllers, and some better developer support.
this is a joke, right?
Old 09-02-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
this is a joke, right?
Sorry, I meant the PS3 had improved compared to how it was in 2006-2007.
Old 09-02-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok. That makes a ton more sense.
Old 09-03-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I honestly like my ps3 more than my 360. I can play netflix on it too just like the 360, that includes hulu also. Plus the ps3 media center program is quite possibly the best media center program on either system.
Old 09-03-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I don't post too much in video game talk but from what I can tell...there is no bashing. The only thing I usually see is "Man, I wish that would come out for the console I have".
Yeah the only time things get heated are in the monthly NPD threads. We're a good bunch here.

Like everyone else is saying, PS3 is probably the better choice given how much gaming you do. If you were more of a gamer I'd say 360.
Old 09-03-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshticles
I just go by what I see, and 95% of everyone I know own a 360. I own both and I hate the PS3. Mandatory installs that take 20 mins wear out their welcome after a while. Mine's basicly only used for a blu-ray player now. Plus, graphically, the Xbox 360 is still coming out the clear winner on a large number of games.
This is kind of outdated PS3 thinking, though. I don't remember the last time I had a mandatory 20-min install. When I first got my PS3 it seemed like all I ever did was wait for installs and loads. Ghostbusters took a few minutes to install. And so did Batman but we're talking about at most five minutes. I typically just load up my games for the first time while I'm doing something else.

I don't want to start anything but I also think that the days where the 360 wins all direct graphical comparisons are long gone as well. It used to be easy to say that the 360 looked better because the PS3 games were often ports from the 360. Just take a look at games like the upcoming Uncharted 2 - programmed specifically for the PS3. The 360 probably still wins the graphical comparison more often, but it's not a given anymore. The PS3 is a more powerful machine and programmers are only just now getting a chance to show it off.

Each console has one dramatic benefit. 360 has a broad, active online community. Sony is improving here but it's not on the same level. That said, I never have a problem getting a game online when I want one. And the PS3 has the Blu-ray and pretty exceptional upconversion for standard DVDs. I think the benefits of the Blu outweigh the gaming benefits of the 360.

In your position I think you should go with the PS3.

Last edited by jdpatri; 09-03-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-03-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I think the benefits of the Blu outweigh the gaming benefits of the 360.
Maybe, but you have to ask yourself, will you be watching more movies or playing more games?

One upshot to the 360 still is the massive install base. That results in more deals on games from simple Amazon sales all the way down to clearance games and used prices. Game prices tend to drop a lot quicker on the whole for the 360 as well. Again though, this is only beneficial for a gamer.
Old 09-03-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Maybe, but you have to ask yourself, will you be watching more movies or playing more games?

One upshot to the 360 still is the massive install base. That results in more deals on games from simple Amazon sales all the way down to clearance games and used prices. Game prices tend to drop a lot quicker on the whole for the 360 as well. Again though, this is only beneficial for a gamer.
That's why I said, "I think..." Personal preference. I didn't have another Blu-ray player when I bought my PS3 two years ago... and I still don't because it does such a nice job.
Old 09-03-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With the new cheaper slim both seem like a pretty good deal to me. I'm looking forward to getting the slim in a few days hopefully.
Old 09-03-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

CaptainMarvel, you need to determine whether or not the console will primarily be a gaming console or multimedia console. If gaming, then 360... if multimedia PS3. My mix of usage is 75% multimedia/25% gaming and so the PS3 is a better fit for me. There are so many games that I enjoyed that are 360 exclusive (or multi-platform but unavailable for the PS3) that I miss.
Old 09-03-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I honestly like my ps3 more than my 360. I can play netflix on it too just like the 360, that includes hulu also. Plus the ps3 media center program is quite possibly the best media center program on either system.

How are you watching Netflix and Hulu on your PS3? I thought they disabled the Hulu browser support (though I haven't checked it in a while).
Old 09-03-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What the 360 has over the PS3 is online community, native Netflix integration, and exclusive titles.

PS3 has BD, wifi, and its own exclusive titles.

Beyond that, they're pretty similar. If they're still a toss-up after comparing all of that, I would give the edge to the 360 for the cheaper entry price ($200 or $250 vs $300).

But that extra BD player is really the major difference. It's a nice thing that cannot be overlooked. In fact, I'm considering picking up a PS3 Slim for a 2nd BD player. I'm a gamer and I haven't played a single PS3 game in the 2 years I've had mine. If I didn't have a 360, I'd be all over it.
Old 09-03-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by glassdragon
let's be honest here. paying money for another program to play netflix and hulu is not the same as xbox having netflix built into the xbox live.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.