Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360, PS3 - Q4 2010)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360, PS3 - Q4 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360, PS3 - Q4 2010)

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I'm not really digging this. The God of War rip-off is disappointing, but I can deal with it. What I don't like are the extremely short levels and the fact that there is almost nothing to explore. It's like it was made for a person with ADD who can't sit still and play for more than ten minutes at a time.

While the visuals are amazing, the game forces you down a tight path that's about the size of an arm's reach. So the visuals are just window dressing since you can't really explore anything.

I also wish it was a horror game as opposed to this fantasy stuff. The werewolves are the only horror element I've encountered so far. Everything else had been trolls, goblins and other LOTR influenced creatures.

Finally, Stewart's voiceover is hilarious. You can tell he's just reading through this gibberish and couldn't care less what it means...and I don't blame him. How many times are they going to bring up "darkness" and "light"? It's a little embarrassing to listen to and a waste of great talent.

With that said, the score is really solid. For me, it's by far the best aspect of the game. But since I've only done the first chapter, maybe it will get better.
I pretty much agree with all of the above. I bought this game 2 days ago and after playing it for about an hour last night I spent the rest of the evening playing...A Kingdom for Keflings, which I've had for about 15 months.

I suppose it's an ok game if you like a lot of button mashing. I also agree about Stewart's voiceover, especially during the opening of each chapter. It just sounds like Stewart reading from a script into a microphone. It needs some faint background music or something.
Old 10-07-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Yep, like hitting the X button.
Well, okay then.
Old 10-07-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
20 hours? Wow.

Definitely looks impressive. Between this and Enslaved, I might finally get in on one of TRU's B2G1 deals this year.
Is this a 20 hour game then even with all of these short levels?

Trying to decide if I want to get this next week during the TRUB2G1 or just hold out for the inevitable price drop.
Old 10-07-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gooter
Is this a 20 hour game then even with all of these short levels?

Trying to decide if I want to get this next week during the TRUB2G1 or just hold out for the inevitable price drop.
I'm only on chapter 2 and yes, the levels are short, but there are MANY of them. The game has 12 total chapters, but as an example, chapter 2 contains 8 or 9 levels. Since there isn't really any exploration, I'm guessing any time estimates will be pretty accurate.
Old 10-07-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, after reading what seems like overwhelmingly positive comments on certain other sites this morning from people who've progressed farther in the game than I have, I'm now more eager to press forward than I was based on my own experience of playing so far.
Old 10-07-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
What I don't like are the extremely short levels and the fact that there is almost nothing to explore. It's like it was made for a person with ADD who can't sit still and play for more than ten minutes at a time.
You say ADD, I say people like me who just don't have that many 2-hour chunks throughout the day to sit down and grind out 2 hours between save-points.
I also wish it was a horror game as opposed to this fantasy stuff. The werewolves are the only horror element I've encountered so far. Everything else had been trolls, goblins and other LOTR influenced creatures.
Yeah, on that point, it seems like it started development as a brand new IP, but half-way through, they said, "hey! Let's make it a Castlevania game!"
Old 10-07-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
You say ADD, I say people like me who just don't have that many 2-hour chunks throughout the day to sit down and grind out 2 hours between save-points.
Amen to that. It's the only reason I haven't gone back to Alan Wake.
Old 10-07-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Amen to that. It's the only reason I haven't gone back to Alan Wake.
On this note, I lent my AW to a friend after I was done with it, neglecting to warn him about the "you can't save mid-episode" stuff I heard about. When I brought it up, he had quit mid-episode 3 (the longest). He pulled up his save and it was where he left it. Apparently you can quit mid-way through at checkpoints, but I haven't verified that yet (he still has my disc).

YMMV. Back to Castlevania.
Old 10-07-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'm only on chapter 2 and yes, the levels are short, but there are MANY of them. The game has 12 total chapters, but as an example, chapter 2 contains 8 or 9 levels. Since there isn't really any exploration, I'm guessing any time estimates will be pretty accurate.
Chapters 3 and 4, at least, only have 2 levels each (although the last part of chapter 4 took me about 45 minutes to pass due to dying). It does get a bit better once you have a handle on the light and dark magic. You can also see which special weapons are more effective against enemies by looking at their profile in your book.

I was also stuck going back and forth trying to find
Spoiler:

The third fairy. Actually, it was the fairy in the second tower, I must have gone in a circle 5 times until I finally realized what to do.

I'm only playing on Normal difficulty, but it seems the only penalty for dying is going back to the last "checkpoint" with half your health, but no refill in magic or daggers.

As a dad, I appreciate the smaller chunks of gameplay and the level-select nature of the game. But it still isn't Castlevania as of yet, and it's not just because there's no castle.
Old 10-07-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread is not painting a good picture of this game for me. It seems like it may be average at best. On one hand, it seems to be getting decent reviews on game sites, but on the other hand almost every person in this thread has said it's not that great.

I honestly think Castlevania is a series that may have run its course. It seems destined to say stuck in the 2D Metroidvania world since those are the only games anyone seems to like. Every time a 3D Castlevania comes out, the fans bash it, it gets terrible reviews, and Konami goes back to Metroidvania. I've played every Castlevania that has come out since Symphony of the Night and, to be honest, I've never thought the 3D ones were as bad as everyone's said, even the two N64 games. No, they weren't great, but I didn't think they were that bad either (then again, I haven't played either one for a couple years, so I may just not remember them being bad). Now, 3 games that seem to get pretty high praises, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow, are my least favorite Castlevanias.

Here's something to consider: everyone seems to be ragging on Lords of Shadow for taking God of War's game play, but didn't Symphony of the Night just take Metroid's game play? I know I'm comparing two completely different games here and from what everyone's saying it sounds like Lords of Shadow just plain isn't good, but I think you get the gist of what I'm asking.
Old 10-07-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I also agree about Stewart's voiceover, especially during the opening of each chapter. It just sounds like Stewart reading from a script into a microphone. It needs some faint background music or something.
He could've read from a script while sitting on the toilet for all I care. It's Patrick friggin' Stewart...
Old 10-07-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
This thread is not painting a good picture of this game for me. It seems like it may be average at best. On one hand, it seems to be getting decent reviews on game sites, but on the other hand almost every person in this thread has said it's not that great.

I honestly think Castlevania is a series that may have run its course. It seems destined to say stuck in the 2D Metroidvania world since those are the only games anyone seems to like. Every time a 3D Castlevania comes out, the fans bash it, it gets terrible reviews, and Konami goes back to Metroidvania. I've played every Castlevania that has come out since Symphony of the Night and, to be honest, I've never thought the 3D ones were as bad as everyone's said, even the two N64 games. No, they weren't great, but I didn't think they were that bad either (then again, I haven't played either one for a couple years, so I may just not remember them being bad). Now, 3 games that seem to get pretty high praises, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow, are my least favorite Castlevanias.

Here's something to consider: everyone seems to be ragging on Lords of Shadow for taking God of War's game play, but didn't Symphony of the Night just take Metroid's game play? I know I'm comparing two completely different games here and from what everyone's saying it sounds like Lords of Shadow just plain isn't good, but I think you get the gist of what I'm asking.
That is a good point. I do think SOTN brought more to the table than just being a Metroid clone, if only because the settings were very different. But I wouldn't say LOS is bad, it's just not terribly original (and for some reason, the red suits just remind me of DMC), but it is pretty well executed. I will say this, if you liked the other 3D Castlevanias, this one is way, way better. I don't regret purchasing it, though it does seem like the kind of game that will get discounted relatively quickly, since it's a single player experience, a known IP (so copies will be plentiful) and is not first-party. The only thing it's missing is "made by Ubisoft, to be discounted in a couple of weeks" label.

I do kinda regret getting the LE... the score is great and all, but the case is regular-DVD-case sized, which won't fit on my PS3 shelf...

I wonder whether this or Enslaved will do better; while I know they're different games, they're similar enough that I don't have time to play both of them at once (a lesson I learned getting Bayonetta and Darksiders at the same time last year and only having time for one).

Quick question: which part of the game was in the demo?
Old 10-07-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Quick question: which part of the game was in the demo?
The opening battle with the wolves/villagers, followed by the horseback chase and accompanying fights.
Old 10-07-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm not saying that you can hit X to skip but it should be that easy. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-07-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm not saying that you can hit X to skip but it should be that easy. Sorry for the confusion.

Although I feel like less of a moron now for not figuring out X skipped scenes.
Old 10-07-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Not really no, SOTN reminded me of Simon's Quest, which I guess was the first "metroidvania" but the two series are so completely different in terms of setting, mood, and feel that it's always seemed like a bit of a pointless comparison. (The main thing being you need items to progress to different parts of a big map, which more games should be following to begin with.)

However, I've never been a fan of the level-based Castlevanias, and that's the biggest deterrant for me with this game. Plus, I've never been a big fan of the God of War games (they get repetitive and incredibly boring to me pretty quick, too much emphasis on repetitive combat.)
Old 10-07-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
However, I've never been a fan of the level-based Castlevanias, and that's the biggest deterrant for me with this game. Plus, I've never been a big fan of the God of War games (they get repetitive and incredibly boring to me pretty quick, too much emphasis on repetitive combat.)
Well, while the fighting might be repetitive (though you do get constant upgrades to keep it interesting), unlike a "MetroidVania" type game, at least you don't have to do the constant back-tracking resulting in repetitive levels and environments. At least the setting is constantly changing. Speaking of which, I really dig the art-design and graphics of the game. It's got a great sense of atmosphere.
Old 10-07-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of which, I really dig the art-design and graphics of the game. It's got a great sense of atmosphere.
Agreed. I've enjoyed what I've gotten to play quite a bit. Looking forward in getting to really dig into it.
Old 10-07-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say ADD, I say people like me who just don't have that many 2-hour chunks throughout the day to sit down and grind out 2 hours between save-points.Yeah, on that point, it seems like it started development as a brand new IP, but half-way through, they said, "hey! Let's make it a Castlevania game!"
I see your point, but you wouldn't have to slog through the entire level in one sitting. I just wish the stages were more of a traditional length. I'm sure they would still have checkpoints along the way that would allow you to play for as long or as little as you wanted. With the way it is set up now, I feel like it's a giant demo and I'm just getting a little taste of everything. Every time I get used to a level design, it switches to something completely different and I lose the sensation of forward momentum. But maybe that's just me.

Also, is anybody else having trouble with the health save system? I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty, so it may be that, but I'm not crazy about your health following you through each level. Basically, I finished a level with low health and the next level has two medium boss fights in a row. So I can only get hit twice or I die and have to start the whole thing over again.

And the music in this still kicks ass. Even though I'm not in love with the game, I'm glad I picked up the LE so I have the score on disc.
Old 10-07-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please ignore any previous negative comments from me as have discovered game is, in fact, fucking epic.
Old 10-08-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's pretty much an epic epic of epic epicness.
Old 10-08-10, 01:59 AM
En vacance

Can't belive this is in its own timeline.
Old 10-08-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Can't belive this is in its own timeline.
Old 10-08-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by frwl
can't belive this is in its own timeline.
spoiler!
Old 10-08-10, 05:51 PM
En vacance

I just checked the wiki article on this and its in the opening
why's this funny?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.