Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Quick dumb question: Can I run Amazon Video On Demand on the PS3 browser?
Old 03-20-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot
The way you described the game play, it sounded like one of those defense tower kind of game, like PJ Monsters. Is it something like that? I never really read up on the game, so i have no clue other than it's on the moon...
Yup, it's a tower defense game: "PJM + Starship Troopers"
Old 03-20-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
Yup, it's a tower defense game: "PJM + Starship Troopers"
Awesome, thanks Chew, will be on my must buy list

PJM, i like
Starship Troopers, i like

nice...
Old 03-20-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

i have soldner-x, man, i'm telling you, if you're not good with shoot'em ups, don't get this. It's very anal, very difficult! The control is a bit off too, since your vehicle has force shields, it's not one hit you die kind of thing. Then you might ask, if it's a force shield thing, how hard can it be right? I don't know, it's pretty hard for me... but it has co-op, so i guess it's an okay buy (i paid $10 for it). The PC CE version is only $10...
Noted. I'm not great at 'em but if it goes on sale for $5, I think it will be worth a shot.
Old 03-20-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Rock Band, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and now Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 with locked saves. This is turning into a crock of shit and has me contemplating the other system for games because of this nonsense. I can understand that the song data and stuff be locked in Rock Band in the game data file but your bands, challenges, etc should all be in a save folder that can be copied. Sony is all worried about piracy but come on they are raping their paying customers with splintered dicks in the process of protecting their precious saves.
Old 03-20-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

locked game saves never make any sense to me... i freaking hate it too, even if my system is not crashed, i still want to be able to load a save from a friend or something. Hey D Shea, can't you contact Sony and ask them to do something about this?
Old 03-20-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

locked game saves never make any sense to me... i freaking hate it too, even if my system is not crashed, i still want to be able to load a save from a friend or something. Hey D Shea, can't you contact Sony and ask them to do something about this?
I have (several times) and they really don't care. All they want is the 150 to fix your system and they really don't care about the time that you have invested in your games. It makes you want to just forget about playing games.
Old 03-20-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Rock Band, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and now Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 with locked saves. This is turning into a crock of shit and has me contemplating the other system for games because of this nonsense. I can understand that the song data and stuff be locked in Rock Band in the game data file but your bands, challenges, etc should all be in a save folder that can be copied. Sony is all worried about piracy but come on they are raping their paying customers with splintered dicks in the process of protecting their precious saves.
Is it Sony that decides what save data is locked? I would assume it would be up to the developer? Makes no sense why RB is locked, but all my other games (GTA, LBP, resistance, etc...) weren't
Old 03-20-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Hmm... at first I thought it was because of the Trophys, but apparently you can't unlock trophies with a save that's not your own anyway. Also, it seems like at one point Motorstorm's saves were locked, and then a patch was released that unlocked them. I wonder if it's a mandate by Sony, or if it's easier for developers to lock the game save then deal with authenticating trophies?
Old 03-20-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

^ it depends how much contents you have on your PS3. If less than 2gb, then yeah, an inexpensive flashdrive will do the trick. If you have 40gb PS3, you don't need a 40gb or more external hdd to do backups, unless you used up all the space...
I have a 60GB PS3 (which means I really have 55GB of space) but in very little time I've used up 29GB (I remembered incorrectly and thought I had used up 39GB). Given the slew of newer games I want to buy (and will have to install), I may as well get a good sized hdd to replace the one I currently have. But I don't like what I'm reading of it being a pain in the rear to manage what should be a simple task.

Afterall, I don't want to go through all the trouble I've already gone through with my games getting all the upgrades and hidden items and whatnot.
Old 03-20-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

RocShemp, as I stated before, the locked game save files should be backed up and restored if you use an external drive.
Old 03-20-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought this might be of interest to plenty of us PS3 users:

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/...o-its-remotes/

But here's the quote from Logitech itself:
"Yesterday, an Engadget reporter did some digging on an FCC Web site and uncovered our plans to manufacture an adapter that allows our Harmony remotes to control the PS3. We can't give you all the details just yet, but we can say that this adapter will, when used with any Harmony remote, give you complete control of your movie-watching experience on PS3. It will also turn the PS3 on and off – and allow you to set up your Harmony activities to include the PS3 just as you would any other device. You also won't need to dedicate any of your valuable USB ports to get that control."
Old 03-20-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yay! I just hope it's not something that requires me to buy a NEW harmony remote...
Old 03-20-09, 04:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yay! I just hope it's not something that requires me to buy a NEW harmony remote...
Me either, since I just bought my first Harmony.
Old 03-20-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is bad enough they lock a save to your username, but to also prevent copying a save is infuriating. I keep a CF card in my PS3 at all times to keep all my saves backed up, but of course there is no backing up the locked ones like Rockband 2, High Velocity Bowling, etc.

I finally got around to buying Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm never been very good at shooters, but was surprised to find out the saves on this one are completely open. I was able to copy a save online and start the game with the bandanna, stealth, etc to give me some help when I need it. Nice to see at least one game that allows you to borrow someone else's save.
Old 03-20-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Locking saves is up to the publisher, not Sony.

Direct your rage at each individual game's publisher, not Sony alone.

And yes, this is mostly due to trophies. While there are probably ways to implement Trophies and allow saves to be copied, LBP allows it, many devs aren't going to want to go through the extra coding hassle when locking the save (either to the user or completely) is a really good catch-all (for them). To give you an example...

Lets say there's a trophy for getting 100 headshots in a game. The easy way of handling this is to look at the statistics and if headshots >= 100 then award the Trophy if it does not exist. If a save is allowed to be copied, this logic will fail audit as it will have to award a trophy in a copy to another account. The only effective means to pass audit is to lock the save to the user. The best system I've seen is a dual-save. One save tracks progress and can be copied but disables trophies when used on another account while the other tracks stats and is locked to the user. Such a system would be a real hassle and take a lot more work to implement.

Not saying it's right but why we're seeing it.

But if you're playing on a friend's system, you can sign in under your username and use your save that way.
Old 03-20-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
It is bad enough they lock a save to your username, but to also prevent copying a save is infuriating. I keep a CF card in my PS3 at all times to keep all my saves backed up, but of course there is no backing up the locked ones like Rockband 2, High Velocity Bowling, etc.

I finally got around to buying Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm never been very good at shooters, but was surprised to find out the saves on this one are completely open. I was able to copy a save online and start the game with the bandanna, stealth, etc to give me some help when I need it. Nice to see at least one game that allows you to borrow someone else's save.
Some people defend these blocked saves by saying that they can allow for people to play pirated games. What a crock!
Old 03-23-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Locking saves is up to the publisher, not Sony.

Direct your rage at each individual game's publisher, not Sony alone.

And yes, this is mostly due to trophies. While there are probably ways to implement Trophies and allow saves to be copied, LBP allows it, many devs aren't going to want to go through the extra coding hassle when locking the save (either to the user or completely) is a really good catch-all (for them). To give you an example...

Lets say there's a trophy for getting 100 headshots in a game. The easy way of handling this is to look at the statistics and if headshots >= 100 then award the Trophy if it does not exist. If a save is allowed to be copied, this logic will fail audit as it will have to award a trophy in a copy to another account. The only effective means to pass audit is to lock the save to the user. The best system I've seen is a dual-save. One save tracks progress and can be copied but disables trophies when used on another account while the other tracks stats and is locked to the user. Such a system would be a real hassle and take a lot more work to implement.

Not saying it's right but why we're seeing it.

But if you're playing on a friend's system, you can sign in under your username and use your save that way.
make sense to me... this is irritating, trying to figure out what game saves are locked and all.
Old 03-23-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some people defend these blocked saves by saying that they can allow for people to play pirated games. What a crock!
I totally agree with you... but then on the other hand, Wii's Twilight Princess game saves did opened that door. It's just matter of time for the PS3 get hacked, game saves or not.

We came a long way from game saves (remember how expensive the NES cartridge was for the build in battery thingy?). I wonder if there's a "standard" of some sort for game saves...
Old 03-23-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside

I always do that if i can do it that is... The RE series are very good examples, i love to play, but i'm just not good (wasting ammo is the biggest factor, the "fear" thing really get you a bit and makes you shoot anything that moves ). So, yeah, i tend to use those "unlimited" ammo saves from the pros. I mean, i love to start everything from the ground up, but i just don't have to time to do that now a day.

Hell, sometimes, i just want to hire somebody to beat the game while i watch
Old 03-23-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey guys/gals, the PSN Home is not that bad at all...

I logged on last night (just to check some new Dan t-shirt or something like that). They got this Bowling center now. I went in for a quick look, not all that bad! There's an arcade section, i played a round of Ice Breaker (simple version of PSN's Magic Ball), it was fun I didn't interact with the other players, i saw two Chun Li characters (the only females among all the other weird males i guess).

I just might try the bowling game next time and the mall too
Old 03-23-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys/gals, the PSN Home is not that bad at all...

I logged on last night (just to check some new Dan t-shirt or something like that). They got this Bowling center now. I went in for a quick look, not all that bad! There's an arcade section, i played a round of Ice Breaker (simple version of PSN's Magic Ball), it was fun I didn't interact with the other players, i saw two Chun Li characters (the only females among all the other weird males i guess).

I just might try the bowling game next time and the mall too
Have fun waiting in line to play. The only reason you were able to play ice breaker is because it sucks and no one plays it. You have to wait to play chess and checkers as well. Fucking lame.
Old 03-23-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

^ You're assuming there are enough people left in Home to form lines.
Old 03-23-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
^ You're assuming there are enough people left in Home to form lines.
I logged on recently to see what had changed in the last two months since I had logged on. Unfortunately its as lame as ever, but it is also full of people just standing around. I'm shocked at how many people want to just stand around and do nothing in Home.
Old 03-23-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can Home be deleted once it is installed? I might as well clear out that wasted space.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.