Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Old 09-29-10, 10:22 AM
  #251  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

I spent about 6 hours playing this last night. I missed the first Zombrex dosage for Katie and chose to just play through, ignoring the story, other survivors, etc., mainly just to screw around and explore and find weapon combos. I wandered aimlessly for about 5 real world hours and still didn't come close to seeing everything. I did discover two secret Zombrex locations by accident, which will be helpful when I sit down and play a real game.

I like that the different maintenance rooms have some combo items nearby that are pairable.
Old 09-29-10, 10:57 AM
  #252  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,040
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

My approach is to try to get through all the cases, follow the story, and try to get to any survivors that I can, but if I mess up and lose a case, I'll just explore some more, gain some levels and restart.

It extends the game because it's sort of scouting out the area before figuring out a strategy.

On another note, in many ways I like Case Zero more. It can be beaten in one (short) sitting, and that is a great feeling (especially for the price), but it has such great replayability. I hope that Capcom develops more stand alone games like that in the Dead Rising world. I would love some episodic content bridging 2 and the inevitable 3. Maybe 3 or 4 little games each with a different environment.
Old 09-29-10, 11:12 AM
  #253  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 7,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Drop View Post
I hope that Capcom develops more stand alone games like that in the Dead Rising world. I would love some episodic content bridging 2 and the inevitable 3. Maybe 3 or 4 little games each with a different environment.

I think that would be a great idea and a fantastic use of episodic content.
Old 09-29-10, 07:00 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 32,330
Received 240 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Drop View Post
Vegas Casinos are malls. The Casinos are not so connected like they are in Fortune city, but they are all filled with stores to shop in.
I totally forgot about that. When we stayed at PH Towers last June, the Miracle Mile shops were right there.

Originally Posted by DRG View Post

I like that the different maintenance rooms have some combo items nearby that are pairable.
I liked that as well. Like I said before, I do have the guide but I kind of messed around and found three or four combos on accident.
Old 09-29-10, 09:30 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Hopped into a game with Groucho earlier and had a lot of fun beating zombies down with another person.

If anyone wants to join a game, I'll be on tonight.
Old 09-29-10, 09:42 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Somewhere out there... YES THERE!!!
Posts: 7,936
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Hopped into a game with Groucho earlier and had a lot of fun beating zombies down with another person.

If anyone wants to join a game, I'll be on tonight.
Not enough information. We talking Live or Psn?
Old 09-29-10, 10:47 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

I ended up picking this up for PS3 tonight. While it's been over 4 years (jesus does time fly) since I played the original Dead Rising and loved it, this one seems good but just not quite as amazing as the first one so far. It seems like the weapons starting out are very weak and I swear the character is slower both in attacking and in running than Frank was in DR1, maybe that will change as I level up. Either way it's pretty fun and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. If anyone wants to do some PSN gameplay, feel free to add me (PSN name is the same as my name here but just get rid of the space).
Old 09-30-10, 01:26 AM
  #258  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,189
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

If anyone was thinking of buying the 360 LE for that prequel movie, don't. It's free on LIVE right now, and after 3 of 8 parts watched, I think I'm bailing, it's truly awful.
Old 09-30-10, 03:09 AM
  #259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Not enough information. We talking Live or Psn?
Sorry...I'm on XBL.

I'll most likely be on again tomorrow night after I get home from work.
Old 09-30-10, 09:14 AM
  #260  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,040
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post
I ended up picking this up for PS3 tonight. While it's been over 4 years (jesus does time fly) since I played the original Dead Rising and loved it, this one seems good but just not quite as amazing as the first one so far. It seems like the weapons starting out are very weak and I swear the character is slower both in attacking and in running than Frank was in DR1, maybe that will change as I level up. Either way it's pretty fun and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. If anyone wants to do some PSN gameplay, feel free to add me (PSN name is the same as my name here but just get rid of the space).
As soon as you can create weapons, it's not even an issue. The knife gloves are my favorite and you can make them as soon as the maintenance room is available. Some zombies carry the bowie knife and there's a men's fitness store near the safe house that has the boxing gloves

The Chuck will speed up, before level 10 I got the first speed upgrade. Some aren't as lucky.
Old 09-30-10, 09:24 AM
  #261  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

So are you saying the attributes you gain from levelling vary from game to game?
Old 09-30-10, 09:31 AM
  #262  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 1,732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

wow. that fat chef is impossible to kill.
I've tried 15+ times and cannot kill him.
I tried all the hints i've found on the internet and no luck.
Got me so pissed off at the game.
Anyone managed to kill him?
Maybe it is because I am level 10?
I saw some youtube vids of people killing him at level 15 and up.
Old 09-30-10, 10:15 AM
  #263  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,040
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
So are you saying the attributes you gain from levelling vary from game to game?
They are random.
Old 09-30-10, 10:16 AM
  #264  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Oh, that sucks so much worse than scripted. Why can't it just be user-defined, Capcom?
Old 09-30-10, 11:04 AM
  #265  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 2,040
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

It should bother me, but for some reason I have no problem with it.
Old 09-30-10, 12:20 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
wow. that fat chef is impossible to kill.
I've tried 15+ times and cannot kill him.
I tried all the hints i've found on the internet and no luck.
Got me so pissed off at the game.
Anyone managed to kill him?
Maybe it is because I am level 10?
I saw some youtube vids of people killing him at level 15 and up.
I beat him so easily. What I did:

Equip the bowie knife/boxing glove combo and a machine gun, and have a painkiller with you as well.

When he starts throwing plates, get behind something. Then he'll come to swing at you. Dodge, then hit. Dodge, then hit. You can do this three times before he automatically knocks you down. He'll run to eat, which will regain his power. As he does this, shoot him once, this will stop him from eating, and he'll come back at you. Rinse, repeat.

Took me 5 minutes.
Old 09-30-10, 01:32 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,410
Received 980 Likes on 677 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

stupid bosses are ridiculously hard. the protester guy just rapes me. grrrr
Old 09-30-10, 01:45 PM
  #268  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 682
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
stupid bosses are ridiculously hard. the protester guy just rapes me. grrrr
I agree. Knife gloves, painkiller and OJ seem to be the way to go. This puts me off a bit ... I don't recall having to power up for the psychos in the first game.


BTW: This seems like a remake of DR1 to me, with combos replacing photography. Many of the survivors, psychos, and plots seem like copies of the DR1 items, with a new skin texture applied. That puts me off a bit also. But I loved DR1 and am happy to have it's clone now in my collection to play. (I bought a 360, played DR, sold it, then a year later bought one again, played DR, and sold that one.)
Old 09-30-10, 02:56 PM
  #269  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch View Post
I agree. Knife gloves, painkiller and OJ seem to be the way to go. This puts me off a bit ... I don't recall having to power up for the psychos in the first game.

Painkiller makes any boss fight easy since you are invulnerable for about one real time minute.

I prefer the tenderizers (mma gloves combined with box of nails) over the knife gloves though. The tenderizers do a little less damage but they are a lot faster.

As for the psychos in the first game, they were all easy once you got the small chainsaws from Adam the clown early on in the 2nd case. The small chainsaws were ridiculously overpowered, especially if you triple-booked them for 27x durability.
Old 09-30-10, 02:58 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 1,732
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I beat him so easily. What I did:

Equip the bowie knife/boxing glove combo and a machine gun, and have a painkiller with you as well.

When he starts throwing plates, get behind something. Then he'll come to swing at you. Dodge, then hit. Dodge, then hit. You can do this three times before he automatically knocks you down. He'll run to eat, which will regain his power. As he does this, shoot him once, this will stop him from eating, and he'll come back at you. Rinse, repeat.

Took me 5 minutes.
where can you get a bowie knife and boxing gloves?

what is a painkiller for? where can i find one?
Old 09-30-10, 03:08 PM
  #271  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,293
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
where can you get a bowie knife and boxing gloves?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10402234-post260.html

painkiller likely kills pain.

If you're pulling a 1598, please don't bother.
Old 09-30-10, 03:31 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

In the beginning of the game is it possible to save all those people that die? It didn't seem like it.
Old 09-30-10, 03:32 PM
  #273  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Typically not, no. You're simply not fast enough.
Old 09-30-10, 03:34 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Ah, so redoing it after getting to a higher level would increase my chances? I couldn't tell if it would be possible or they were just trying to screw with everyone who played the first one.
Old 09-30-10, 03:40 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 12,107
Received 263 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

I only played DR1 briefly... if you restart in DR2, do you keep your "level" or do you have to actually finish a playthrough in order to keep it?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.