Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

The Video Game Deals Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Amazon has the Elite bundle with Halo ODST & Forza 3 for $299 w/free shipping and a $50 Amazon gift card. Guess they are matching the Best Buy ad.
Old 03-22-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amex Wishlist has Xbox Arcade for $99 on 3/23 at 1pm EST.
Old 03-22-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Amex Wishlist has Xbox Arcade for $99 on 3/23 at 1pm EST.
I must be dyslexic or very tired - I read that as Amish Wexlist and couldn't figure out why an Xbox would be included on such a thing.
Old 03-22-10, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Unfortunately, the folks over at CAG are reporting that the deal is dead now:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=253635

Yes, the deal is dead. I went to Best Buy again and the coupon doesn't scan anymore. The girl in the counter still gave one (I was taking 2) with the manager's approval.
Old 03-22-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
4pm? What kind of policy is that? Typically someone calling to have something held is doing so because they are at work and can't get there until after 5.
It was during Holiday shopping. No doubt can't hold it as long when there are enough people actually walking in to buy it.
Old 03-22-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Yes, the deal is dead. I went to Best Buy again and the coupon doesn't scan anymore. The girl in the counter still gave one (I was taking 2) with the manager's approval.
So you were trying for 5 copies total? Shameless. Is CAG turning into SlickDeals now? Maybe they should just add "hole" the the URL already.
Old 03-22-10, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
So you were trying for 5 copies total? Shameless. Is CAG turning into SlickDeals now? Maybe they should just add "hole" the the URL already.
Why shameless? Is not like I'm selling them. All those websites, including DVDTalk, look for deals and holes in the system to exploit. Is not my fault that Best Buy screw this, the same way it wasn't my fault when Amazon has screwed in their pricing and members from this site have taken advantage.
Old 03-22-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Well, I went to Best Buy after work with the coupon in hand. I picked up the last copy of the NERF game (and, for the record, I would have only picked up one even if there were several present....) and brought it to check out. I had the GREATEST BEST BUY SALES CLERK EVER! She tried to ring up the coupon and when it wouldn't scan, she called the manager over. So far, total protocol. When he saw the coupon, he tried to explain it away. Also par for the course. But she did something extraordinary, she argued with him on my behalf. He said it must not be this game. She said it was and the SKU # matched. He said it wasn't still valid, she replied that it said on the coupon it was until 3/31. He said it shouldn't work now the game has been reduced. She said that earlier she had rung up two for another patron (perhaps dx23 was here on vacation) and both had rung up as free. Eventually, the manager gave up and did a manual override. I walked out with the game and gun and the game guides for Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy Disdea for a total cost of three cents (which I actually borrowed from a drug rep behind me in line - no way I'm breaking a 20 for three cents ). I swear, that clerk was amazing -- I had said nothing and the manager just gave in. I was thisclose to proposing to her and I'm already married.
Old 03-22-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I was thisclose to proposing to her and I'm already married.
Over a Nerf gun and some video game guides? What did your wife do to win you over? Take you to Chuck E Cheese?
Old 03-23-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why shameless? Is not like I'm selling them. All those websites, including DVDTalk, look for deals and holes in the system to exploit. Is not my fault that Best Buy screw this, the same way it wasn't my fault when Amazon has screwed in their pricing and members from this site have taken advantage.
If not selling, then why multiple copies? And a second trip?
Old 03-23-10, 05:52 AM
Banned

If not selling, then why multiple copies? And a second trip?
I got 6 other people with that have the Wii, including a nephew, a cousin and three other friends back in Puerto Rico who can't get the game for free because there is no Rewards card there, thus no Reward Zone coupons. I thought it would be a nice present for them.
Old 03-23-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
Over a Nerf gun and some video game guides? What did your wife do to win you over? Take you to Chuck E Cheese?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being easy.
Old 03-23-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Actually my wife took me to Chuck E Cheese before we got married a few times. Now we aren't allowed back there anymore. Something about the rides, not sure.
Old 03-23-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice stories people.
Old 03-23-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got 6 other people with that have the Wii, including a nephew, a cousin and three other friends back in Puerto Rico who can't get the game for free because there is no Rewards card there, thus no Reward Zone coupons. I thought it would be a nice present for them.
Oooooh, I bet PINATA feels CRUNCHY .

Old 03-23-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Nice stories people.
Well, then perhaps I should tell you the story about the little trains in Chuck E Cheese that take a black and white picture of you...we still have a couple of the pictures hanging around. No? Maybe? Oh alright...*sigh*

On Topic...ahhh yes....ummmm.. Bionic Commando on Xbox 360 for $6.99 including free shipping (which only took three days) over at NewEgg. Good enough?
Old 03-23-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Oooooh, I bet PINATA feels CRUNCHY .

Giving away is certainly better than selling or trading. Still shameless to try to do it 5 times. More power to you, but eventually this sort of stuff (and I mean widespread, not just you) will catch up with the community as a whole. I hope this game is worth it.
Old 03-23-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Giving away is certainly better than selling or trading. Still shameless to try to do it 5 times. More power to you, but eventually this sort of stuff (and I mean widespread, not just you) will catch up with the community as a whole. I hope this game is worth it.
I wonder if you are right. It does seem that companies crack down more quickly on their mistakes (K-Mart 10 off of 20) and also sometimes end really good deals early due to “unforeseen demand” (Gamestop B1G1 for one), but very large companies that should be wise to the ways of FW still put out vaguely worded deals. Also, there are still very good deals to be found (Amazon in particular has been very aggressive with their deals).

This is the biggest fear I have with pure digital distribution: all of the really good gaming deals will dry up.
Old 03-23-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush

This is the biggest fear I have with pure digital distribution: all of the really good gaming deals will dry up.
And I don't think it's unfounded. I've been against digital distribution of just about every kind of media because it kills the secondhand market AND cuts out the middle-man retailer who's most often the idiot that provides the loopholes for us to get really cheap shit. And then there are all those messy DRM shenanigans, but that's a RABBLE! RABBLE! for another thread.
Old 03-23-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw on the Best Buy Reward Zone Gamer's Club that there is a $5 off coupon for select games, one of which is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Greatest Hits ($19.99) for the PS3. The coupon says it's in-store only, the website says the game is available online only. WTFOMGBBQ?
Old 03-23-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I wonder if you are right. It does seem that companies crack down more quickly on their mistakes (K-Mart 10 off of 20) and also sometimes end really good deals early due to “unforeseen demand” (Gamestop B1G1 for one), but very large companies that should be wise to the ways of FW still put out vaguely worded deals. Also, there are still very good deals to be found (Amazon in particular has been very aggressive with their deals).

I don't think deals will dry up in general, but someone walking out with 5 free games will certainly raise a manager's eyebrow to investigate a whole lot quicker (and notify the higher ups) than if a customer walks out with one(which will more than likely go unnoticed). Even if you have multiple people getting a single copy through the week, you have different managers and different shifts so it's possible to keep sliding right under their noses.*

So the SD crowd (and recently CAG users) certainly kill deals a whole lot faster because of their inability to buy a single copy of X product for themselves. Gotta ebay that shit!

*of course, I haven't worked retail since the advent of the internet so I'm just speculating.
Old 03-24-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

*NEW* $20 credit when buying Halo: Reach at Amazon.
Old 03-24-10, 01:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The best gaming deals I've ever gotten have all been on Steam.
Old 03-24-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
*NEW* $20 credit when buying Halo: Reach at Amazon.
Yep, just pre-ordered (with my 25$ credit from the Comic Book fuss).

First game I've purchased at release since..well I can't even remember the last.
Old 03-24-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Super Mario Galaxy 2 + $20 eGift Card at Wal-Mart.

Hopefully Amazon will match that one as well. Wal-Mart has the $20 eGift Card for Halo: Reach as well and why Amazon PM'd it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.