Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM is near death.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: EGM is near death.

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Right now i am catching up on Superfro's podcast (Signed In). I'd recommend checking it out - decent podcast and for those in cubicle-land there is no foul language that i have heard.
We try to keep it PG-13 at most. It's not going to be anywhere near any kind of industry level stuff, but we try to have fun. Thanks for continuing to check it out!

I've actually been a bit behind on my 1UP stuff the past couple of weeks, so now I've got like 2 episodes of everything sitting on my Zune. It's gonna be real tough to go through and finish them off at this point.
Old 01-07-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 1up network is what got me not just into gaming podcasts but podcasting in general. I also joined my World of Warcraft guild "Can't Quit You" from listening to the Legendary Thread podcast. At this point I guess all that's left is the Gamers with Jobs podcast. My predictions: Garnett Lee ends up either on Revision 3 or somewhere similar covering games/tech and Shane Bettenhausen ends up with Sony or some Sony related entity.

Edit: Garnett Lee is still with UGO/1up? I still think he leaves sooner than later. He's been positioning himself with guest appearances on Revision 3's Tekzilla.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 01-07-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Shane Bettenhausen ends up with Sony or some Sony related entity.
Are they looking for a Home Czar or some such? Maybe he can break up dance fights while people are waiting for a bowling lane to open up.
Old 01-07-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This sucks....I have been reading EGM since WAY WAY WAY back...I'm talking issue #1 here...I even still have the majority of my EGM collection, including a couple of the first year "single digit numbered" issues...man, it was DA SHIT back in the good old NES/SMS days....you can literally track the history of post-crash gaming back looking back through old issues....
Old 01-07-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...I listen to a ton of Podcasts, and 1up Yours has been my favorite for some time.

For those looking for another show to listen to, some of my other favorites:

Drunken Gamers Radio
Gamers with Jobs
Podtoid (from Destructoid)
Giant Bombcast (gotten much better)
Idle Thumbs
Video Game Show (gamercast network)

Looks like I'll have to find a few new ones to fill time.

Could care less that the magazine is dead, despite the fact that I get it monthly.
Old 01-07-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Losing the 1UP podcasts is a huge thing for me. I would have paid for them I loved them so much. I did like Gamers with Jobs and that will probably have to be my 1UP Yours replacement. Sad to see so many lose their jobs and it totally sucks that stuff like the 1UP Show, Retronauts and Broken Pixels is no more.
Old 01-08-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkside
Losing the 1UP podcasts is a huge thing for me. I would have paid for them I loved them so much.
I feel the same way. I saved 1upYours and Lan Party for my 13 hour Sunday night shifts... I'd have paid for the both of those without batting an eye.
Old 01-08-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyway who was a fan of 1UP FM might want to check out their new Rebel FM podcast. I haven't listened yet so I can't talk about the content. Unfortunately there's no RSS subscription link yet I don't think.

http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/
Originally Posted by www.eat-sleep-game.com
As Promised: Episode 1 of Rebel.fm

January 8th, 2009 by As Promised: Episode 1 of Rebel.fm

January 8th, 2009 by Aegies
Won’t you please welcome Anthony Gallegos, Nick Suttner, Philip Kollar, Matt Chandronait, Ryan O’Donnell, Jade Kraus, and me, as we bring you the opening salvo of Rebel.fm. It’s on, bitches.

Hey, look, it’s a torrent that won’t fucking destroy the site when you download from it!
PS: Yes, quality not so good for a lot of it, but bear with us. Things will be better next week. Promise. Even if we have to bring in a ringer to show us how it’s done.
Old 01-08-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Joystiq has a bit of info on the UGO situation regarding the 1up podcasts:

1UP's Sam Kennedy – who agrees that UGO is not the bad guy – tells MTV that "the Retronauts podcast will continue" and there are "some possibilities" regarding the future of the 1UP Yours podcast. As for the The 1UP Show video podcast? It's "more up in the air," according to MTV.
Old 01-08-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Joystiq has a bit of info on the UGO situation regarding the 1up podcasts:
I kinda think he's only basing that on the fact that Jeremy and Garnett weren't fired. Garnett sure thinks that 1UP Yours is over.
Old 01-08-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of all the people not to fire, Jeremy Parish? Listen to him on the latest Persona retronauts, quite embarrassing.
Old 01-08-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I kinda think he's only basing that on the fact that Jeremy and Garnett weren't fired. Garnett sure thinks that 1UP Yours is over.
Where does Garnett mention anything like this? His Twitter?
Old 01-08-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1up Yours without Shane = Boring. He's obnoxious, but he's knowledgable and opinionated...a great combo to add life to a podcast.

This is such a bummer. I just hope Shane ends up on another podcast, which I'd imagine he will.

Will put Rebel.fm on my feeds.
Old 01-08-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Wow, I have a collection of EGMs (plus EGM2) that goes back to #16 or so up till a couple of years ago. We've lugged them around through 3-4 moves and they're currently in my garage in boxes. As someone else said, it was nice to have as browsing material so games you weren't neccesarily looking for would catch your attention.

My wife actually did some free-lance work for them a few years back when they were based here in the Chicago suburbs. I kinda wonder if moving away from here is what started their downfall, getting into a different culture and all that.
Old 01-08-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
We try to keep it PG-13 at most. It's not going to be anywhere near any kind of industry level stuff, but we try to have fun. Thanks for continuing to check it out!

I've actually been a bit behind on my 1UP stuff the past couple of weeks, so now I've got like 2 episodes of everything sitting on my Zune. It's gonna be real tough to go through and finish them off at this point.
A podcast coming out of Marion, Iowa? I never would have believed it! I'm here in Cedar Rapids, so you'll have to invite me as a guest one of these days and I'll be Wombat.
Old 01-08-09, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wow, I have a collection of EGMs (plus EGM2) that goes back to #16 or so up till a couple of years ago. We've lugged them around through 3-4 moves and they're currently in my garage in boxes. As someone else said, it was nice to have as browsing material so games you weren't neccesarily looking for would catch your attention.
My wife was actually upset with me that I kept all my issues....we've moved 4 times since 1992 and it started with just 1 box and now its up to 8 boxes lol. Of course its not all EGM ...I've been saving issues of Nintendo Power, GamePro, Video Games & Computer Entertainment, Computer Gaming World, GameFan, Next Gen. Its probably a waste of space but its fun to go back and read some of them.

EGM was my favorite mag back when Steve Harris, Ed Semrad and Sushi-X were doing the reviews.
Old 01-08-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This really sucks. As many magazines I get each month, none gave me more satisfaction than reading the latest of EGM.

Over the last 20 years, I've read Next Generation, Nintendo Power, GamePro, GameNow and console specific magazines and none of them held or hold a candle to EGM.

Hoepfully, in March 2010, the former EGM staffers can put up the 250 Greatest Games of All Time on a website for what would have been their 250th issue.

Off to eBay to find back issues.....
Old 01-08-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Next Generation was not the same type of mag as EGM, but IMHO, it was far superior in what it did as far as in depth articles. Well, maybe not the old, phonebook sized late-year EGMs that were just a blast to go through.

Totally forgot that at one point, they had two mags...
Old 01-08-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79
A podcast coming out of Marion, Iowa? I never would have believed it! I'm here in Cedar Rapids, so you'll have to invite me as a guest one of these days and I'll be Wombat.
HA! Give it a listen, then you'll believe it.

Small world indeed!
Old 01-08-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Where does Garnett mention anything like this? His Twitter?
This is what he's had to say on his Twitter:

well, it really was a lovely holiday 1UP Yours special I think. By my count that was episode #163 Hey, that's a prime number. Nice way to go 7:35 PM Jan 6th from twhirl
Followed by:

to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends 11:27 PM Jan 6th from twitlil
Old 01-08-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Next Generation was not the same type of mag as EGM, but IMHO, it was far superior in what it did as far as in depth articles. Well, maybe not the old, phonebook sized late-year EGMs that were just a blast to go through.

Totally forgot that at one point, they had two mags...
I agree that next gen was great, and a little lesser known so it was fun to tell people about things and show them and they would want the mag after I showed them.
Old 01-09-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't see this in any of the other posts over the past few days, so my apologies if it's a dupe: Dan "Shoe" Hsu and Crispin Boyer's reflections on the end of EGM

They talk about their various favorite/least favorite moments at EGM (Shoe was with the mag for 12 years, ~7 of which were as editor-in-chief; Boyer was with the magazine for about 12 years as well). It's a mildly interesting read.
Old 01-09-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Final issue will be online only. Mielke's final blog: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=4549175
Old 01-09-09, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Final issue will be online only. Mielke's final blog: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=4549175
Originally Posted by Mielke
"Despite what the internet might tell you, EGM's circulation was holding steady in the 550-650 thousand range, with around 550,000 paid subscriptions and 100K issues printed to distribute on newsstands. That's a lot of genuine, desired reach. There was no decline. EGM going away was simply a matter of UGO wanting a website, not a magazine, and the Ziff Davis corporation unwilling to remain in the costly print business."
Sad.
Old 01-09-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Ouch... and when he says paid subscriptions, does that not count the "free" subs that people get? I don't see why they would categorize them differently, as advertisers don't care.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.