Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Little Big Planet (PS3) Thread!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Little Big Planet (PS3) Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Why are so many people expecting an actual sack-boy plush doll?

I'm not saying they won't ever release one, but as a pre-order incentive? No way.
Why not? They released the photos but didn't mention they were DLC costumes until a day later, which led to the speculation. Beanie babies and similarly sized plushies retail for $5-$7. Is that so outrageous as a pre-order bonus?
Old 08-12-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Well, Gamestop usually gets the better pre-order stuff, and if all they got was a skin, well, I doubt that they'll go far beyond that for other stores.
Old 08-12-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
From that same site you linked above:
Last week, we reported on the various pre-order goodies for LittleBigPlanet. We now know the identity of two of the retailers you can pre-order from in order to obtain their respective bonus. If you place your order with Amazon now, you will receive a Brady Games miniguide which is "a primer for LittleBigPlanet's CREATE tools and provides users with a quick tutorial to begin developing their own levels."
I just looked at that on Amazon, and it says instructions for obtaining the guide will be e-mailed after the game has released. Seems like that sort of defeats the purpose of getting it if it's a "primer" for the game.
Old 08-12-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Please explain the hype surrounding this game. From the videos I hve seen and articles I have read, I just don't "get it" I guess.
I am convinced that asking this question (as well as asking why the heck anyone is excited about "Home") never gets an answer because no one can actually answer it . I keep reading about the game and watching little videos, and just don't see the excitement either.
Old 08-13-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
I am convinced that asking this question (as well as asking why the heck anyone is excited about "Home") never gets an answer because no one can actually answer it . I keep reading about the game and watching little videos, and just don't see the excitement either.
I think the sheer fact that is really changes what games are or can be is the most amazing part. It's a co-op/multiplayer games that allows you to work together to create....not kill or destroy. Normally when user generated content was talked about you could make a level and ship it off to see what others thought about it. Now if you ship it off and a friend of yours has a suggestion about the level they can join you the next time you make a level and help you create it. The creativity and social interaction of this games goes far beyond anything I have seen to date on a console. It seems to appeal to a wide variety of people and it probably appeals to different people for different reasons.
Old 08-13-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Yes. Platformers are my favorite genre of games and to have a platformer that not only is a complete game out-of-the-box and allows for online coop play on all levels (a first, afaik), but one that allows for user-created levels to be shared and ranked around the world? To me, that makes it my most-wanted game of the year.
Old 08-13-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes. Platformers are my favorite genre of games and to have a platformer that not only is a complete game out-of-the-box and allows for online coop play on all levels (a first, afaik), but one that allows for user-created levels to be shared and ranked around the world? To me, that makes it my most-wanted game of the year.
Agreed. Easily my most-anticipated game for 2008.
Old 08-13-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plus it's cute as hell and that sort of thing goes a long way in a house of 75% females, like mine. Anything we can all enjoy together is welcome.
Old 08-13-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm in the 75% club too, unless you count the dog and then the female to male ratio increases to 80-20.
Old 08-13-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little Big Planet and Home are the two things that might get me to buy a PS3.
Old 08-13-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sold on Home yet, but LBP looks to have a ton of potential. Hopefully it will deliver on that potential.
Old 08-13-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I'm not sold on Home yet, but LBP looks to have a ton of potential. Hopefully it will deliver on that potential.
How would it not? Check out those videos. It works just as advertised. Every hands-on report I've seen says the game is a blast. I think this game will be a huge hit, even without the huge build-up of a Gears 2 or MGS4. This game has tremendous across-the-board appeal.
Old 08-13-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure it will deliver, but I want to reserve judgment until I have the game in my hands and play it for myself. I also think that the success of the game will be largely dependent on how many people buy it and make great levels with it. So...I just don't want to declare it an unmitigated success before it even comes out.
Old 08-13-08, 05:01 PM

Fair enough. But if Echochrome is any indication, I bet we get some devilishly hard levels from user-generated content. Those folks in Japan make some BRUTAL puzzles for Echochrome, and that's with far less resources than they'll get here.

Last edited by Decker; 08-13-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am so getting this when it comes out.

I wonder if the PSP will get that game. That would make me

Last edited by starving dvder; 08-16-08 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 09:25 AM

Some new LBP news:
MSRP is still $59.99. My Game Stop Is Run By Idiots!
I would so buy this for $60, but it's nice to see it a little cheaper.

Round up on store pre-order exclusives:
Amazon - Mini strategy guide
Spoiler:
Amazon.com Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus
Pre-order today and receive an Amazon.com exclusive official "LittleBigPlanet Creator" MiniGuide. Instructions will be e-mailed to pre-order customers after the game has released. Offer good while supplies last. Offer limited to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

Game Stop - code for Kratos outfit download (sharable on PSN)

Game Crazy - LittleBigPouch

Circuit City - LittleBigPlanet Sticker Book

So it would seem that Best Buy would get Nariko's Heavenly Sword outfit, but no confirmation yet.

Last edited by Decker; 08-29-08 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice price! Who would have thought three years ago that we would be ecstatic for a $49.99 price?

Waiting on Nariko info myself.
Old 08-28-08, 11:42 AM

LittleBigPlanet contains "copyright" system!

In a game like LittleBigPlanet, sharing user generated content is a big part of the experience. Ever more so, protecting one's personal creations is going to be an even bigger issue. With players expected to swap content daily, one has to wonder how will players control the distribution of unique content in the do-it-yourself platformer?

The answer is that the game will utilize a simple system called "copyright" which is not the same as the legal sense. Players can "copyright" objects which are collectibles in their levels; copyright items can be used by the people who've collected them, but they won't be able to alter your content or give it away to others. Non-copyright items can be edited and shared freely by anyone. Additionally, you can control who is allowed to use your levels by setting a difficulty rating and/or giving away invite keys.
Old 08-28-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some new LBP news:
MSRP is only $49.99!
I would so buy this for $60, but it's nice to see it a little cheaper.
Wait!? Where'd you see that the price has been lowered to $49.99? All the websites seem to be reporting $59.99.
Old 08-28-08, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Wait!? Where'd you see that the price has been lowered to $49.99? All the websites seem to be reporting $59.99.
There were tons of pre-order boxes at Game Stop yesterday with the $49.99 price on them. I see online they're listing $59.99. I'll have to check it out later today.
Old 08-28-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There were tons of pre-order boxes at Game Stop yesterday with the $49.99 price on them. I see online they're listing $59.99. I'll have to check it out later today.
I'll have to swing by and check. Makes me wonder though if it's a price mistake.
Old 08-28-08, 03:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In a game like LittleBigPlanet, sharing user generated content is a big part of the experience. Ever more so, protecting one's personal creations is going to be an even bigger issue. With players expected to swap content daily, one has to wonder how will players control the distribution of unique content in the do-it-yourself platformer?

The answer is that the game will utilize a simple system called "copyright" which is not the same as the legal sense. Players can "copyright" objects which are collectibles in their levels; copyright items can be used by the people who've collected them, but they won't be able to alter your content or give it away to others. Non-copyright items can be edited and shared freely by anyone. Additionally, you can control who is allowed to use your levels by setting a difficulty rating and/or giving away invite keys.
Interesting. I hope they limit the amount of stuff you can copyright in a given level. Wouldn't be fun if every single thing was copy written.
Old 08-28-08, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
I'll have to swing by and check. Makes me wonder though if it's a price mistake.
Perhaps, but the price was printed on all the boxes. I have to check again.
Old 08-28-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nice price! Who would have thought three years ago that we would be ecstatic for a $49.99 price?

Waiting on Nariko info myself.
I paid 49.99 for Baseball Stars on NES back in the day so yeah I'm excited about a game with this potential for only 49.99. Game prices really haven't changed that much over the years in relation to other things.
Old 08-29-08, 04:08 AM

whats all the hype about this game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.