Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Little Big Planet (PS3) Thread!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-06-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I know it's been mentioned in the PS3 thread before, but this will be a huge, amazing game and I think it deserves it's own thread. I'll update with some gameplay videos soon.

For now, I wanted to post some of the preorder promo items available; unfortunately, we don't know which will be where yet. I'm so getting that last one! I've never made a preorder for a downloadable item, but for that one, I'll happily make an exception.

Here’s the master list:

The Official “LittleBigPlanet Creator” MiniGuide by Brady Games - This exclusive digital guide is a primer for LittleBIGPlanet’s CREATE tools and provides users with a quick tutorial to begin developing their own levels.”

LittleBigStickerBook - For those of you who love to customize - this item is for you! This exclusive sticker book contains some of our favorite LBP imagery for you to apply your own ‘mash-up’ to your favorite possessions. Or take something else you own and make it your favorite!

LittleBigPouch - Keep your LBP game safe and protected from the elements with this exclusive burlap pouch. Its so unique and stylish, it would make a SackMother proud.

Exclusive Nariko SackGirl - SackBoy’s beware! Nariko SackGirl has been known to keep other SackBoys (and SackGirls) in check. This exclusive downloadable costume features our favorite heroine on the PS3.

Exclusive Kratos SackBoy - Nuff’ said. Yes…the forum rumors were true - but the biggest question remains “why didn’t this guy smile?” Seriously, this is another exclusive downloadable costume that will elevate your SackBoy status to godlike proportions.

DVD Talk Member-Created Levels

"Roulette Wheel" by UncleGramps
"Moon Patrol" by RockyMtnBri
"Digestive Dan's Derring-Doo!" by UncleGramps
"Rocky's Park of Amusement" by RockyMtnBri

Last edited by Decker; 11-16-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry - but a unique and stylish burlap pouch? What is this, the 14th century?

Kratos is pretty bad ass looking though.
Old 08-06-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a release date for this yet?
Old 08-06-08, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Is there a release date for this yet?
October 08 is the latest word. No specific date yet.
Old 08-06-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Please explain the hype surrounding this game. From the videos I hve seen and articles I have read, I just don't "get it" I guess.
Old 08-06-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Wow those are just downloadable costumes? Weak sauce. I thought they were going to be little plush figures. I was ready to plunk down money on a pre-order for that Nariko one. Now the game is back to sale/discount status.
Old 08-06-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow those are just downloadable costumes? Weak sauce. I thought they were going to be little plush figures. I was ready to plunk down money on a pre-order for that Nariko one. Now the game is back to sale/discount status.
People have been clamoring for that as a preorder bonus on the playstation blog, and the lbp guy has responded to them saying that they are working on it.

That's what I'm going to hold out for. I'm going to assume that the downloadable costumes will be similar to the "exclusive" cars in Burnout Paradise where all you have to do is enter a generic code to get them.
Old 08-06-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it's just me but I wish that (nearly) all the LBP characters didn't have to have zippers on them.
Old 08-07-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not much for these "sandbox" games. I'll rent this first to see if I like it. I do the like puzzle aspect of it, in a Portal kind of way.
Old 08-07-08, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by edstein
I'm not much for these "sandbox" games. I'll rent this first to see if I like it. I do the like puzzle aspect of it, in a Portal kind of way.
It's not a "sandbox" game; actually it's kind of the opposite of that. It's a platformer made up of many imaginative levels and with the ability to allow any player to design and share their own levels.

Here's my post from the PS3 thread during E3 (it contains some video footage; spoilerized only to keep that last clip from randomly playing):

Originally Posted by Decker
God, I can't wait for this game. It really seems to be an evolutionary step in gaming -- it will be more interactive, more user-created than any game before. It's going to be amazing. I can't wait to see what levels people are going to build.

Official E3 Trailer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NhJHAc2HQao&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NhJHAc2HQao&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boss Battle

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CJf_QuTzUNE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CJf_QuTzUNE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gamespot Developer Interview
Spoiler:

<embed id="mymovie" width="432" height="355" flashvars="paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egamespot%2Ecom%2Fpages%2Fvideo%5Fplayer%2Fproteus%5Fxml%2Ephp%3Fadseg%3 D761515%26adgrp%3D11542%26sid%3D6194281%26pid%3D0%26mb%3D%26onid%3D%26nc%3D1193358559372%26embedded% 3D1%26showWatermark%3D0%26autoPlay%3D0" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/gs/proteus_embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Last edited by Decker; 08-07-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want the Kratos skin but if some store ends up having the real Sackboy plush as a bonus they will be getting my money.

I think this will end up being the perfect game for my wife and I to own. She loves to build things in games. She would buy all the Sims games and never let the poor little people live in their homes. She would just make house after house after house. I figured that she can build levels and I can play them. She is very creative but really not that great at playing normal games so this should work out well for us.
Old 08-07-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really looking forward to this one.
Old 08-07-08, 09:48 AM
Banned

Another good YouTube video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG3OH3HLq-0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG3OH3HLq-0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-07-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
This was the #1 reason I picked up a PS3.
Old 08-07-08, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I really want the Kratos skin but if some store ends up having the real Sackboy plush as a bonus they will be getting my money.

I think this will end up being the perfect game for my wife and I to own. She loves to build things in games. She would buy all the Sims games and never let the poor little people live in their homes. She would just make house after house after house. I figured that she can build levels and I can play them. She is very creative but really not that great at playing normal games so this should work out well for us.
There should be a pool of DVDTalkers' created content so that you can share with us the levels your wife creates.

I'm really looking forward to this game, and while I have my talents, building things and creating visual/spatial elements are not included. So I'm gonna be on the lookout for some quality designed levels from other players.
Old 08-07-08, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
There should be a pool of DVDTalkers' created content so that you can share with us the levels your wife creates.
That's one of the main reasons I started this thread. I think we should all donate at least one level and come up with our own DVD Talk world in the game. This game has me It looks so amazing. Can't wait.
Old 08-11-08, 04:15 PM

The Kratos skin is a Game Stop exclusive. Saw a big ad in the store today.

Check out the exclusive Amazon trailer. I mean if you don't want this game, you must be a communist or something.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VKiWm8od5Kw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VKiWm8od5Kw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Decker; 08-11-08 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never said she had talent.....only that she likes to build.
Old 08-12-08, 01:01 AM

Check out the exclusive Amazon trailer. I mean if you don't want this game, you must be a communist or something.
I'm hoping this means that Amazon will have a top-notch pre-order bonus. Maybe the real-life sackboy? Or maybe a human-sized sack boy?

And MasterofDVD, talent or no, I welcome people building things so that I don't have to suffer and do it on my own and be witness to my own failings.
Old 08-12-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
This was the #1 reason I picked up a PS3.
#1 I really considered picking one up. Decided against it for now, but this will be the first game I do buy when I eventually do get a PS3.
Old 08-12-08, 09:14 AM

I'm hoping this means that Amazon will have a top-notch pre-order bonus. Maybe the real-life sackboy? Or maybe a human-sized sack boy?
From that same site you linked above:
Last week, we reported on the various pre-order goodies for LittleBigPlanet. We now know the identity of two of the retailers you can pre-order from in order to obtain their respective bonus. If you place your order with Amazon now, you will receive a Brady Games miniguide which is "a primer for LittleBigPlanet's CREATE tools and provides users with a quick tutorial to begin developing their own levels."
Old 08-12-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
#1 I really considered picking one up. Decided against it for now, but this will be the first game I do buy when I eventually do get a PS3.
I would've waited too, but the scarcity and the backwards-compatibility of the MGS4 bundle (along with it's extra doodads) accelerated my decision. It was a good choice.
Old 08-12-08, 01:13 PM

From that same site you linked above:
Last week, we reported on the various pre-order goodies for LittleBigPlanet. We now know the identity of two of the retailers you can pre-order from in order to obtain their respective bonus. If you place your order with Amazon now, you will receive a Brady Games miniguide which is "a primer for LittleBigPlanet's CREATE tools and provides users with a quick tutorial to begin developing their own levels."
Yeah I saw that they just put that up this morning. A little disappointed because I do like the free shipping and using my gift certificates. Just have to wait and see what Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Walmart end up doing. Those are the four big retailers left, and there are the three announced pre-order exclusives and the one presumed bonus remaining to be attached to stores.

Really I just want the game. But the extras help rationalize a $60 purchase during such an economic downturn :-).
Old 08-12-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why are so many people expecting an actual sack-boy plush doll?

I'm not saying they won't ever release one, but as a pre-order incentive? No way.
Old 08-12-08, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Why are so many people expecting an actual sack-boy plush doll?

I'm not saying they won't ever release one, but as a pre-order incentive? No way.
On the playstation blog, the littlebigplanet developer said they were working on it as a potential pre-order bonus. He also later said that they've been talking to Pixeljunk about having a Pixeljunk Monsters costume of sorts for download (not as a preorder bonus though.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.