Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LA Noire - The Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: LA Noire - The Thread.

Dude, it's been two months. Coming into the thread is a risk you take. There's no set rule on how long things must be spoilerized post-release. In my opinion, it's not even necessary then.
Old 07-21-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...n-one-blu-ray/
Old 07-21-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have done two $50 releases. First game up through homicide, the second the rest. Release six months apart.
Old 07-21-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
They should have done two $50 releases. First game up through homicide, the second the rest. Release six months apart.
Then I'd be almost done the first game!
Old 07-21-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Then I'd be almost done the first game!
Can someone translate this into english for me?
Old 07-21-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"There was a kind of system where if you failed a case your captain would scream at you and you'd go out and do hot car chases or smaller robberies and muggings and all that kind of stuff in the world," he revealed.

"You'd have to do enough of them to get to a point where you get offered another case, but as I said that got cut because I thought it was too much of a distraction."
I thought this was probably true, since they left in a lot of dialogue from Phelps' superiors referring to these kinds of activities when I did poorly on a particular case.
Old 07-21-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Can someone translate this into english for me?
No need...it is english, just growl which you read it out loud and it will make sense.

If they broke it up into two games based on chuck's suggested break points I'd almost be done the first game.
Old 08-03-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I thought this was probably true, since they left in a lot of dialogue from Phelps' superiors referring to these kinds of activities when I did poorly on a particular case.
I did a case perfectly and still got talked down to right at the end. I'm 3 perfect cases away and a few more miles of driving to be 100% complete with all of the achievements including all DLC. I'm hoping to have it wrapped up tomorrow.
Old 08-03-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Finally finished this up on Monday evening. I thought the game was just okay, it had some cool parts to it but I got bored by it about halfway through. Then towards the end I thought it kind of picked up again. I liked the look the game had and thought it was pretty cool messing around in 1950's LA, but I guess the biggest complaint I had was that it didn't even seem to matter how good or bad I did on cases. I think it would've been more interesting if there were different outcomes for doing well or poorly on a case.
Old 09-08-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know it is an evil word, but I figured it warrant a thread bump. Noire is under $25 used in some places. Is there any disadvantage to buying a used copy for 360? Do I miss out on anything? And yes I can live with the shame of a used copy .
Old 09-08-11, 12:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No disadvantage at all. There are no "New at Retail only" items or cases for the 360.
Old 09-08-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
No disadvantage at all. There are no "New at Retail only" items or cases for the 360.
^This

The ps3 version however is a different story.
Old 10-06-11, 07:51 AM

Just to let you folks know, the used copies are starting to hit $20. I finally picked up a Like New copy from Amazon's Warehouse deals for $20.99 last night. Couldn't hold out much longer and I had been watching it for about a month specifically on there. (All of the sudden it just dropped last night from 25.99 to 20.99). Good stuff, can't wait.
Old 10-10-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just forced myself to finish this last weekend (got it on release day). To say its the disappointment of the year is an understatement.
Old 10-10-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rage would like to have a linear and repetitive word with you.

I wasn't disappointed by L.A. Noire at all, although a branching storyline with consequences would have been nice.
Old 10-12-11, 10:32 AM

Just rented this from blockbuster for ps3 and the unable to play it. I run initial update needed to play the game and once downloading and installing it goes to a black screen with nothing happening. I reboot the system and delete the game data utility which has a 1.2 gig update and a Dlc update and then redo the process and the same thing happens. I try this 3 times.

I cant find much online about this. Anyone else had this happen on ps3?
Old 10-12-11, 11:29 AM

My copy of the game should be arriving today and the strategy guide I was able to snag from GoHastings for $5 should be at the end of the week. Sadly though, I probably won't be able to touch it until November. Too many game writing commitments but I am still looking very forward to the game.

Edit: Got the game as mentioned. Was really surprised to find that the copy had the film strips as well as the DLC card for "The Naked City". Now I don't know if it is redeemed or not (I would hope that if somebody used it, they would throw away the card) but regardless looks like I lucked out. Like New indeed

Last edited by Kedrix; 10-12-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just started playing this game on PC thanks to Steam sales for $12.49... enjoying it quite a bit and played it for most of the day just up until I was promoted to Homicide (about 5 hours according to Steam). It's linear, and my interrogation skills are pretty hit or miss, but i'm loving the different cases and the investigation. It's not quite Police Quest, but still fun. I went back and started reading about some of early posts for when the game was released up until the point where pinata started complaining about spoilers (again?) and figured I should stop there No issues with driving that people were talking about though, and i'm using a 360 controller on my PC.

I'm enjoying this a lot more then Red Dead, which I couldn't get into at all and all but gave up on. I like somewhat linear games with interesting story lines, so this seems to be right up my ally. Love the style and the graphics. For all the reasons that people have about graphics not being a big deal, you get a game that takes advantage of new technology and would benefit greatly by even more powerful systems.
Old 01-03-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the problems most people ran into is that it was pushed as an open world game, but there's nothing to do in that world. It would have been better served if it had been stripped of that stuff and just released as a linear detective adventure game.
Old 01-03-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

"There was a kind of system where if you failed a case your captain would scream at you and you'd go out and do hot car chases or smaller robberies and muggings and all that kind of stuff in the world," he revealed.

"You'd have to do enough of them to get to a point where you get offered another case, but as I said that got cut because I thought it was too much of a distraction."
I just got this game (thanks Steam Holiday Sale) and am disappointed this isn't in the actual game. I only played 82 minutes last night (I had just installed it and wanted to play a bit before bed) and when I first became a detective, the officer in charge mentioned this'd happen if I screwed up on my cases.

So there's no actual story consequences for botching cases?
Old 01-03-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I went back and started reading about some of early posts for when the game was released up until the point where pinata started complaining about spoilers (again?) and figured I should stop there
Yes, again! But I'm glad it helped you know when to stop reading.
Old 01-03-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yes, again! But I'm glad it helped you know when to stop reading.
It actually helped a lot, given the nature of this game.
Old 01-03-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the problems most people ran into is that it was pushed as an open world game, but there's nothing to do in that world. It would have been better served if it had been stripped of that stuff and just released as a linear detective adventure game.
What do you mean there's nothing to do? You get to hunt down pointless collectibles and try to spot hard-to-find vehicle types, all for an in-game reward of nothing.
Old 01-03-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, none of that really bothers me since I never care to do a lot of the side stuff in GTA either which I find boring. I don't see how removing that stuff would make it better; people can just ignore it
Old 01-03-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean there's nothing to do? You get to hunt down pointless collectibles and try to spot hard-to-find vehicle types, all for an in-game reward of nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.