Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LA Noire - The Thread.

Old 06-09-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LA Noire - The Thread.

Here's some news that's more than 2 months old:

Originally Posted by lanoire.net

Surfer Girl is reporting some interesting information regarding LA Noire. Apparently Sony have dropped the game and are not helping fund it anymore - which is more fuel for a 360 release too.
The new details being reported:

* Team Bondi’s goal is to have every NPC in the city feature a distinct personality and different knowledge sets
* The game is not being funded by Sony, who dropped the title (Phil Harrison and Brendan McNamara (Team Bondi head) can’t stand each other, McNamara & Company’s tendency to miss milestones did not help either, but had very little to do with Phil’s decision), there is nothing stopping a 360 release.
* The amount of music in the primarily jazz soundtrack is “comparable to GTA.”
* The detecting mechanics are described as “an analysisfest” to which reaction has been polarizing, one calling the detective elements “fatally boring” and another remarking that the mechanics are “absolutely innovative.” The former dubs the game “Assassin’s Creed: Noir Edition” and the latter went on about “investigating the social structure of 1947 Los Angeles.”
* Finally, information about at least some of the crimes you will be investigate in the game can be found here.

Surfer Girl later updated their post with the following details about Sony’s dropping of the game:

UPDATE: Sony stopped funding the game when Phil dropped it years ago. The bad blood between Brendan and Phil, which began during the development of The Getaway, is the primary factor in the game being dropped. Team Bondi would likely still be with Sony if Phil never took control of WWS, there is a reason that Brendan affiliated Bondi with SCEA rather than SCEE, who has authority over Australia.

There is no indication that Team Bondi are going the route of Ratbag, whose title Ikon (later became Scavenger, which never made it to stores) was dropped by Rockstar after being dropped by Sony, Brendan is quite amiable with the Housers.

Those detective elements are so polarizing that the implementation of them is cited for the reason of at least one resignation and there has been a number of departures at Bondi. Internal horror stories about Bondi appear to be plentiful.

Interesting developments, we’ll have to wait and see what comes of this.

Source: Surfer Girl
I remember watching the videos for this game before the PS3 was released and was disappointed that this game wouldn't come out for the 360. Well, flashforward to now and I've got a PS3 and this might (never?) come out for the 360.
Old 04-29-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Whatever happened to LA Noire? -here's some info

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hk3rZ_lnTI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hk3rZ_lnTI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/

Ever since discovering them about a month ago, I've been devouring the books put out by Hard Case Crime. This game looks like it'll scratch that genre itch (in videogame form). And after reading the March Game Informer cover story, I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 04-29-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool vid, i wish it was gameplay rather than cutscene though. I want to see it in action after that article in Game Informer the other month
Old 04-29-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, whatever happened to Surfer Girl?
Old 04-29-10, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight, this isn't coming to PS3? I will be pissed!
Old 04-29-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
Let me get this straight, this isn't coming to PS3? I will be pissed!
If it doesn't then fuck em. I'd like to play it but I'm not buying another console just to do so.
Old 05-01-10, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I love the "noire" part. The setting is gorgeous. But I don't like these all cutscene type games.
Old 11-11-10, 11:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

New trailer
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZFkitjk4uA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZFkitjk4uA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I've been looking forward to this, but this trailer does absolutely nothing for me. Not sure the guy who plays Ken Cosgrove on Mad Men was a wise choice as the voice on the main character either.
Old 11-11-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I loved it. It looks great, the facial animations and voice work are amazing. At least in that video.

I didn't know any about the actors involved and was able to recognize them from the video.
Old 11-11-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
New trailer

I've been looking forward to this, but this trailer does absolutely nothing for me. Not sure the guy who plays Ken Cosgrove on Mad Men was a wise choice as the voice on the main character either.
I was wondering if that was him. I mean it looks exactly like Ken Cosgrove and the era is the same so I wasn't sure if it was the same guy or if my mind was playing tricks on me. I like the actor and he's a good fit for that period of history, so why not?
I can't recall many other games where the in-game character is designed to look exactly like the actor who plays him. There was a Bruce Willis PS1 game and one where a fairy was Gwen Stefani, but those were much more famous celebs and kind of a different situation than this. Oh yeah - Martin Sheen in Mass Effect 2, I guess.
BTW :Who was the Scottish guy in that trailer? He looked and sounded familiar as well.
Old 11-11-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never seen Mad Men so I have no idea who that is. Kind of a mediocre trailer, but I still dig the concept and I like the style. The facial animations look good, but the rest of the graphics seem pretty weak.
Old 11-11-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

BTW : You're missing the best show on TV. Get it in your Netflix queue. Or wait, Season 1 is coming to Video On Demand any day now.
Old 11-13-10, 09:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Some uncommon valley problems in that trailer, for me.
Old 11-13-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Some uncommon valley problems in that trailer, for me.
uncanny even.
Old 11-13-10, 10:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Some spelling problems in this thread, for me.
Old 12-16-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<embed width="640" height="391" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:708504" quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
Old 12-16-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

That looks fantastic. Please tell me it's coming to PC.
Old 12-17-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did any of you guys order L.A. Noire from GoHastings.com when they had it mistakenly priced at $29.99? Well I just got the following email on that - they are going to honor the price mistake and ship it!

Thank you for your “LA NOIRE (PS3)” order. As you may have noticed, we had a data error causing us to allow this item to be purchased for $29.99 rather than the regular list price of $59.99.

Although this price is below our cost, in the spirit of the holiday season we have decided to ship your order when this product releases. You will receive a shipment confirmation email after your order is processed on or near its street date.

If you have any questions, you may call goHastings.com guest services at 877-427-8464

Happy Holidays from the goHastings.com Team
Old 01-22-11, 11:45 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

May 17th is the announced date of release.

http://kotaku.com/5740574/la-noire-t...eleases-may-17
Old 01-22-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks great.
Old 01-22-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the cover of The Official Playstation magazine this month.
Old 01-24-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<iframe src="http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/embed/6441" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 01-24-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Consider this one pre-ordered!
Old 02-09-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<iframe src="http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/embed/6561" width="640" height="360" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Looks good! Also, is that Harry Crane I see?

Last edited by Fandango; 02-09-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

<iframe src="http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/embed/6731" width="640" height="360" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

More and more recognizable actors. I saw both Greg Grunberg and Patrick Fischler. And the guy at 1:10 - can't recall his name right now Brian Krause

Last edited by Gunde; 03-10-11 at 08:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.