Old 05-14-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Whatever happened to LA Noire? -here's some info

Originally Posted by musick
because if you
Spoiler:
lost/couldn't find your child
you wouldn't be calling their name like that??!!!

anyhow, back to L.A. Noire .... wasn't impressed by what I saw, hope to be proved wrong if I try it out later down the line
It sounded overacted is all I said
Old 05-14-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It took an extra day, but I was finally able to start the game tonight. Here are some impressions after about 40 minutes:

-It doesn't suck like Brink!
-In true Rockstar fashion, the cars handle like crap with crazy sensitive steering.
-The facial work and animations are really good, the rest of the graphics are OK, but not great.
-The way the cases and story goes together is really well done, nice voice over work and flash backs etc.
-The game can be played in black and white.
-no avatar awards.
-good mix of story/csi crime stuff/chasing down leads.

That's about it so far, I'll post again if anyone has any questions or anything once I get a bit farther. I haven't really been able to free roam or anything yet. Also, the case has a little package of what look like film cells inside and it says "Badge Pursuit Challenge" on the outside, not sure if that ties into anything. The DLC is also on a card inside the case.

Update: Just checked, apparently the film cells help you find in-game badges to upgrade your guy with XP and unlock a special outfit.
Old 05-15-11, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How long did it take you to get through the first case or two? I'm wondering about the overall length of the game.
Old 05-15-11, 03:15 AM

There are 21 cases, the first 4 are tutorial. I did 5 cases and a few of the side quests in about 90 minutes. I'm thinking about a 10-12 hour game max?

I did find myself quitting to the main menu 10 times or so already during questioning. It's kind of poorly done. If you say something wrong or forget a piece of evidence, you basically fail the entire story. Luckily it saves right before them, so you can keep re-trying and pass it. I guess you could always just keep going and get some sort of terrible ending and 3 hour game
Old 05-15-11, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Only 10-12? I could have sworn I heard 20-25 somewhere.
Old 05-15-11, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
There are 21 cases, the first 4 are tutorial. I did 5 cases and a few of the side quests in about 90 minutes. I'm thinking about a 10-12 hour game max?

I did find myself quitting to the main menu 10 times or so already during questioning. It's kind of poorly done. If you say something wrong or forget a piece of evidence, you basically fail the entire story. Luckily it saves right before them, so you can keep re-trying and pass it. I guess you could always just keep going and get some sort of terrible ending and 3 hour game
I would guess as you work up in the game, the cases get longer. I can't see a patrolman or vice cop having as detailed or lengthy case as someone in arson.
Old 05-15-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm starting to think this game might not be for me, at least not a day one purchase. With previous Rockstar games I had more fun "not" playing the actual storyline and just messing about exploring (in RDR playing poker and looking for bears ) but it sounds like that's not a factor in LA Noire so much.
Old 05-15-11, 11:24 AM

I could be a bit off with the 10-12, but I don't think its over 20 unless you do every little thing for 100%. Someone I know is 6 hours into the game and has been on disc 2 for a while.

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I'm starting to think this game might not be for me, at least not a day one purchase. With previous Rockstar games I had more fun "not" playing the actual storyline and just messing about exploring (in RDR playing poker and looking for bears ) but it sounds like that's not a factor in LA Noire so much.
Yeah, there is not really much to do other than the main cases. while driving, the police scanner will pick up a random crime that you can go do, which is usually chase a guy or kill some people. You can also attempt to collect 50 items, find landmarks, or drive all 95 cars in the game if you wanted to for extra gameplay.

I'd say Heavy Rain has the much better story and unique gameplay, but LA Noire is a good runner-up
Old 05-15-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It took an extra day, but I was finally able to start the game tonight. Here are some impressions after about 40 minutes:

-It doesn't suck like Brink!
-In true Rockstar fashion, the cars handle like crap with crazy sensitive steering.
-The facial work and animations are really good, the rest of the graphics are OK, but not great.
-The way the cases and story goes together is really well done, nice voice over work and flash backs etc.
-The game can be played in black and white.
-no avatar awards.
-good mix of story/csi crime stuff/chasing down leads.

That's about it so far, I'll post again if anyone has any questions or anything once I get a bit farther. I haven't really been able to free roam or anything yet. Also, the case has a little package of what look like film cells inside and it says "Badge Pursuit Challenge" on the outside, not sure if that ties into anything. The DLC is also on a card inside the case.

Update: Just checked, apparently the film cells help you find in-game badges to upgrade your guy with XP and unlock a special outfit.
DLC? Are we talking about the ps3 version so we can confirm that ps3 gets the exclusive dlc or was that a preorder bonus from somewhere?
Old 05-15-11, 11:40 AM

A Slip of the Tongue is currently a Play (UK) and Walmart (US) pre-order exclusive. The Naked City from GAME (UK) and Gamestop (US).

That's the DLC, and they each have 5 achievements/trophies. If there is anything PS3 exclusive, It won't have trophies. I have never heard of PS3 exclusive DLC for the game, it's always been these two items.
Old 05-15-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm so sick of waiting to play this....I think they hype their damn games too early I also have a feeling that "the rest of the graphics" are better than ok.

I think one of the first things I would like to try out is the completion of a case two separate ways....I am very interested to see how much\what varies when you go about them differently.
Old 05-15-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Slip of the Tongue is currently a Play (UK) and Walmart (US) pre-order exclusive. The Naked City from GAME (UK) and Gamestop (US).

That's the DLC, and they each have 5 achievements/trophies. If there is anything PS3 exclusive, It won't have trophies. I have never heard of PS3 exclusive DLC for the game, it's always been these two items.
Rockstar did officially announce a ps3 exclusive case, but no one has heard anything about it since then.

Old 05-15-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm on the fence with this game. I don't like the GTA games but loved RDR however, I'm getting a "Heavy Rain" kind of vibe with this and didn't particularly cared for that game.
Old 05-15-11, 12:40 PM

This game has nothing to do with RDR or GTA IV, not even remotely similar aside from the fact that it's an open world. It's basically Heavy Rain/CSI with a large open world.

As far as completing a case several ways, I'm pretty sure there is only one outcome, or a failure. You just score lower if you mess up questions or forget to find evidence.
Old 05-15-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This game has nothing to do with RDR or GTA IV, not even remotely similar aside from the fact that it's an open world. It's basically Heavy Rain/CSI with a large open world.
I know that. I was just commenting on previous Rockstar games that I played.
Old 05-15-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Dammit. Just when I convinced myself I was going to wait for a price drop and not get sucked into another massive game right now, I had to go back and read through what I missed in this thread. I may have to jump on that Best Buy deal tonight.
Old 05-15-11, 01:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Black and white mode? Sweeeeet.
Old 05-15-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really wavering on whether or not to get this one on release day. Just cancelled my Amazon pre-order.
Old 05-15-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Dammit. Just when I convinced myself I was going to wait for a price drop and not get sucked into another massive game right now, I had to go back and read through what I missed in this thread. I may have to jump on that Best Buy deal tonight.
If you mean midnight, I wouldn't go tonight
Old 05-15-11, 02:54 PM

Apparently for a few hours this morning, BB's price dropped to $48.99 and people were able to get that price plus $15 GC plus 500 RZ points. That... would have been a great deal to get in on.
Old 05-15-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Black and white mode? Sweeeeet.
Yeah every game has that option, its called tweaking your television set.
Old 05-15-11, 03:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-15-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah every game has that option, its called tweaking your television set.
I was going to go on a rant about how taking something in color and converting it to black-and-white is actually not a simple process, but then I realized that likely all Rockstar did was the same thing you're implying.
Old 05-15-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
No, my "midnight event" days are behind me, for the most part; a guy's got to go to work in the morning. The last one of those I stayed up for was opening night of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls and we all know how that turned out.

I thought the fine print of the BB pre-order deal was that orders had to be in by midnight tonight, but I could've misread it.

I'm pretty pumped for the game since I'm a huge fan of the Hard Case Crime books and this looks like the video game version of the genre. In fact, some HCC authors have been commissioned to write short stories tied to the game:

Top Thriller Authors Come Together for L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories

Mike Fahey — There are a million stories in the naked city of Rockstar's L.A. Noire, and the game can only tell so many. That's why Rockstar has recruited eight of the thriller genre's finest writers to create L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories.

L.A. Noire's Los Angeles is a city teeming with intrigue and corruption. Around every corner there's a plot brewing, be it for money, mayhem, or murder. It takes top talent to bring this sort of dark city to light, and Rockstar has recruited some of the best for The Collected Stories.

Between now and the May 17 release date of the game, short stories by Megan Abbott, Lawrence Block, Joe Lansdale, Joyce Carol Oates, Francine Prose, Jonathan Santlofer, Duane Swierczynski and Andrew Vachss will be appearing on the L.A. Noire stories page. The series kicks off today with an excerpt from Megan Abbott's The Girl. The full series will be available for download at major eBook retailers on June 6.

I can't wait to see what the writers whose work in-part inspired L.A. Noire do with Rockstar's little world.

http://kotaku.com/5798056/top-thrill...lected-stories
Old 05-15-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
what do you mean tonight? Isn't the midnight opening tomorrow night?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.