Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - Part something or other.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,265 Likes on 4,283 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Poor guy, I hope his family survived

"This bunch of terrorists are holding my family hostage! They say they're going to kill them as soon as a game demo finishes downloading! Do you have a console that will keep them alive until the police can rescue them?"
Old 08-15-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
But isn't that oversimplifying the value of the game to just a money per hour evaluation? That speaks nothing of the games quality.
Unfortunately anything that has zero resale value can be broken down to cost/hour, imo. You didn't pay more to see No Country for Old Men than the Love Guru did you?
Old 08-16-08, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Unfortunately anything that has zero resale value can be broken down to cost/hour, imo. You didn't pay more to see No Country for Old Men than the Love Guru did you?
Well one I would pay to see in the theater, the other I would rent.
Old 08-16-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well hell ... my PS3 isn't seeing any of my media. I noticed that, when playing MLB 08 The Show, the voices stopped and all I had was background sound. Then, the next time I tried to play, it was as if the disc wasn't in the system. This was also the case with any DVD or Blu-Ray disc.

Sadly, now I wait for the coffin from Sony.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there an alternative fix?
Old 08-16-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
well hell ... my PS3 isn't seeing any of my media. I noticed that, when playing MLB 08 The Show, the voices stopped and all I had was background sound. Then, the next time I tried to play, it was as if the disc wasn't in the system. This was also the case with any DVD or Blu-Ray disc.

Sadly, now I wait for the coffin from Sony.

This just happened to me. My coffin has been sent and I now await a refurbed unit from Sony in the next month.
Old 08-16-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no idea how widespread the disc read errors are, but there are many of them reported on the Playstation forum and several people I have played Poker with online mentioned that they were having disc read errors.

Hopefully this isn't as widespread as the PS2 disc read errors that were pretty much the red ring of death of last gen. My 60GB is 18 months old and has had at least a 1000 hours put on the BD drive without an issue, but I'm definitely seeing it reported more and more from users.
Old 08-17-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
I noticed that, when playing MLB 08 The Show, the voices stopped and all I had was background sound.
I had this issue...after spending about an hour trying to figure out why, I just switched my audio output from HDMI to Optical, and this solved the problem (okay, it didn't "solve" it, but optical didn't have any issues).
Old 08-18-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I need some game recommendations. I own Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 and love the online multiplayer modes. I don't even play the single player offline role-playing story mode stuff. What other online multiplayer third person shooters for the PS3 would you guys suggest I get?
Old 08-19-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty

1up review
Rating: B
PSN Price: $15

Booty is a rollicking few hours, polished to a sheen and even better-paced than its full-length predecessors.
Regrettably, the narrative doesn't feel quite so advanced; considering it picks up right where Future leaves off -- with Clank having been taken by the time-controlling Zoni -- Booty tromps off with its own side story, ending on the same cliffhanger with little more resolved.
Quest for Booty's a fine addition to the Ratchet & Clank world, but what should've been a love letter to fans ends up serving better as a taste of what outsiders are missing -- and, as a fan, that makes me just a little bit sad.
and then the big one:
I finished Quest for Booty in about two and a half hours.
Two and a half hours? They somehow managed to make Braid seem epic by comparison. At least we can look forward to sales on the PSN.
Old 08-19-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
While I would've loved it to be longer than two and a half hours, that is about a quarter of the length of the full $60 game, and since this is a quarter of the price, I guess that's what we'd have to expect - though the difference being that I can sell my disc of the last R&C game for some cash...

There's going to be a full-length R&C game out next summer (teaser below). That's how Insomniac's rolling right now - one game a year, alternating between Resistance and R&C.

Last edited by slop101; 08-19-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 05:09 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

August 19, 2008 1:09 PM PDT

Stream Hulu, YouTube, and more to 360 or PS3 with PlayOn

Posted by Jeff Bakalar

Continuing the trend of media servers that play nice with home video game consoles, PlayOn! has apparently raised the bar. With the new beta software released to the public yesterday, Windows XP and Vista users can now stream video from sites like Hulu and YouTube directly to their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and HP MediaSmart TVs.

(Credit: MediaMall Technologies)

The technology is fairly simple; the software grabs RSS feeds from video content providers and pushes them through over your home network. With support already encompassing ESPN and CBS, it would appear that PlayOn! brings us a few steps closer to officially ditching our cable or satellite boxes. Netflix support has also been promised to be included in a new version of the software as well as Nintendo Wii compatibility by year's end. There does seem to be a catch however--after the 60-day trial period, you'll need to pay $30 if you want to keep the software.

We had a chance to quickly set up PlayOn! with our Xbox 360 last night and were surprised as to how easy it was to get going. We were able to watch plenty of Hulu content but couldn't access any of the movies the site has to offer--only TV programs were available. Image quality was acceptable for streaming, but we did notice an occasional lag in playback. Look for more impressions and how-tos using PlayOn! in the coming weeks
Chris
Old 08-19-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked out Play On this afternoon and will certainly be paying the $30 for this software when the time comes. It works really well (for me, anyway).

I only do movies on Blu-Ray or DVD, I'm OK that it's not there on Hulu. I just love how much TV content this opens up where I want to watch it: the living room.

This officially answers my Tech Talk question.
Old 08-19-08, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
I checked out Play On this afternoon and will certainly be paying the $30 for this software when the time comes. It works really well (for me, anyway).

I only do movies on Blu-Ray or DVD, I'm OK that it's not there on Hulu. I just love how much TV content this opens up where I want to watch it: the living room.

This officially answers my Tech Talk question.
I'll be sending you my bill

Chris
Old 08-20-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
PlayOn is a nice concept, but a better solution would be for Sony to beef up the flash plug-in to support sites like Hulu. If Sony has been holding out a flash upgrade in an attempt to steer people to their own video service, hopefully the availability of PlayOn will convince them to upgrade since the cat (video streaming) is out of the bag.
Old 08-20-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious....can you set up PlayOn and continue to use Windows Media Player also? I may try it later today....but I just wanted to be sure I didn't screw with my WMP streraming, which works "ok" for PS3 and GREAT for 360.

MY PS3 can still not stream music. I have TOO much music and it times out. This is wireless....all my videos stream fine though.
Old 08-20-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Now a 160 GB PS3, bundled with Uncharted.

http://kotaku.com/5039485/uncharted-...-north-america
Old 08-20-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That looks like a pretty good bundle. The author thought the HDD size was no big deal because it can be replaced, but I disagree. 160GB is a point where (defects aside) you should never have to replace the drive, IF you only use it for gaming. Obviously if you load it up with videos that's different, but that much space should be enough for game installations, downloaded games and content, and save data.

Even a cheaper HDD replacement runs $60 or more, and getting one for the long haul there at the start is a big advantage over the 40GB and 80GB systems.
Old 08-20-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Will that 160GB model w/ Uncharted have backwards compatibility built in?
Old 08-20-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Will that 160GB model w/ Uncharted have backwards compatibility built in?
It appears that it does not have BC.
Old 08-20-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally, more Heavy Rain footage. And this is In game! This is my most anticipated ps3 title, and really the main reason I bought the ps3

<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/39217810/90.8/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/39217810/90.8/" width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" name="viddler" ></embed></object>
Old 08-20-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That is some heavy rain.
Old 08-20-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks cool, but the quicktime events are a letdown.
Old 08-20-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks cool, but the quicktime events are a letdown.
Why do you say that?
Old 08-20-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Tuesday November 3rd 4:15pm will occur in 2009!

But the forecast around here is just ass cold, no precipitation.
Old 08-20-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
That looks like a pretty good bundle. The author thought the HDD size was no big deal because it can be replaced, but I disagree. 160GB is a point where (defects aside) you should never have to replace the drive, IF you only use it for gaming. Obviously if you load it up with videos that's different, but that much space should be enough for game installations, downloaded games and content, and save data.

Even a cheaper HDD replacement runs $60 or more, and getting one for the long haul there at the start is a big advantage over the 40GB and 80GB systems.

I guess. I've yet to use any significant amount of HDD space, even on the 360 I remain at 8GB out of 20GB. I don't see how I could fill up my 20GB any time soon on my PS3.

Maybe this fall the 360 drivespace might get tight with the copying-games-to-HDD feature coming. But I don't imagine I'd want more than a couple on the drive at any given time.

HDDs are cheap. I paid $20 for several of my IDE drives in the past. I picked up a 40GB portable HDD (IDE inside though) and a 320GB drive and a power strip on black friday a few years back for $35 total. With patience I'm sure I'll end up with a 2.5" SATA spare, or gotten really cheap, somehow. Drive space on the consoles remain irrelevant to me. The only console I have space problems is the Wii - 512MB is getting a bit tight

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-20-08 at 03:10 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.